Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I love the umbrella though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Coward posted:

I love the umbrella though.

:hmmyes:

The umbrella is great. I’d have loved Sylv’s TV Movie costume as how he should been dressed from the start, with the umbrella as the One Acceptable Thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, his tv movie costume just isn’t quite eccentric enough. It’s too basic, like something you’d see an old man wearing in a nice pub.

I absolutely hate Tom’s monochromatic maroon nightmare though.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yeah, I am not a fan of the movie outfit either.

I think the pullover would be great if it was just a pattern in those colours, or if the question marks were subtly hidden in it. But, honestly, I don't mind it much. Just kind of looks like a pattern and feels less egregious than putting it on the collar.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tom's last outfit would have been fine - the huge flappy coat, the boots, the vaguely piratey look to it - if hadn't been so relentlessly burgundy. I mean, I like burgundy, but there's limits

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s all the burgundy plus the scarf becoming an absolute parody of itself in terms of length. It’s awful.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I don't mind the question mark motif at all, the basic problem is that it is usually embedded in a terrible costume concept and it's made overly prominent. If Pertwee had a question mark brooch on one of his velvet jackets nobody would say that ruined it.

McCoy's jumper is probably the best iteration of the idea because that's the sort of garment people have slightly garish repeating patterns on anyway. The question marks on the collar look goofy because that's not a spot where people typically put decorative motifs.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I finished Terminus and it was good, though it could have been better. The central premise was strong and it definitely didn't need the swerve into a universe ending threat revolving around a reverse big bang. It felt like an unnecessary distraction from the core scifi corporate dystopia stuff and I would have much rather that time be spent in fleshing out the setting.

Teagan and Turlough were sidelined in favor of the two space raider characters which was an odd decision but I did enjoy their extremely glam outfits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how incredibly mundane the now treated as almost sacred by the show Heart of the TARDIS! is there

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The 60th anniversary Peter Capaldi Years box set from Germany turned up today. For an official release it feels very bootleggy. The case is massive and the discs are all out of order.

It has a little booklet of interviews with the cast though, shame it’s all in German.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

You’re not going to enjoy the 1980s, then.

I mean... did anyone? I guess JNT seems to have.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The CoatTM grew on me and I kinda wish we'd get a modern Doctor with one in spirit (should be a required publicity image, dammit)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I did for the most part*, but then I was a kid for pretty much all of it, so I'm probably not the best judge of how awesome/terrible the 1980s was :v:

*apart from when I hit puberty, that particular period of time was horrible

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Heck yeah! Muppet Babies was great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I really enjoyed "Actually the world is built on the ruins of a technologically advanced ancient civilisation that fell as the result of a great catastrophe" which happened all the time in things that otherwise had a completely different tone, such as Gummi Bears or The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

The CoatTM grew on me and I kinda wish we'd get a modern Doctor with one in spirit (should be a required publicity image, dammit)

I like the idea behind it, but feel the execution was poor. Brightly colored and clashing works for the Doctor and making them pop on those fuzzy old TVs. But the choice of patterns in the material doesn't show well and I think the way the panels are laid out for the coat makes it look worse. If C. Baker's thing was asymmetrical, high contrast long coats and he had a few of them that he rotated through, then it might have worked. Streamline the design a bit, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I really enjoyed the "Actually the world is built on the ruins of a technologically advanced ancient civilisation that fell as the result of a great catastrophe" which happened all the time in things that otherwise had a completely different tone, such as Gummi Bears or The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin

This is why the 80s were so dire, really. Everything was about total world annihilation from The Butter Battle Book on up.

Teddy Ruxpin came back a couple of years ago, haha. My kids really liked it for awhile.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Warthur posted:

McCoy's jumper is probably the best iteration of the idea because that's the sort of garment people have slightly garish repeating patterns on anyway. The question marks on the collar look goofy because that's not a spot where people typically put decorative motifs.
Actually, I am going to amplify that: McCoy's question mark jumper is brilliant because, specifically, wacky jumpers with silly patterns on them are a Christmas thing, and that means it's a garment which would be completely innocuous in one temporal context which the Doctor wears constantly and so stands out, which to me is the acid test of a good Doctor Who costume. Archaic outfits like First or Eight are great because those Doctors would have fit in perfectly in the eras those outfits came from. Mismatched costumes can be fine so long as the individual pieces would each by themselves make sense in a particular time. Sixth Doctor's coat is terrible because it is suitable to nowhere and nowhen.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Maybe we all dress like that 10 years from now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Brb going to see if the Cybermen are having an open enrollment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Random Stranger posted:

I like the idea behind it, but feel the execution was poor. Brightly colored and clashing works for the Doctor and making them pop on those fuzzy old TVs. But the choice of patterns in the material doesn't show well and I think the way the panels are laid out for the coat makes it look worse. If C. Baker's thing was asymmetrical, high contrast long coats and he had a few of them that he rotated through, then it might have worked. Streamline the design a bit, too.

It’s also the combination of the coat and the striped yellow pants and the blue polka dot clown bow thing he had going on. The coat on its own is loud but not horrible. The whole ensemble makes me think of a bad clown though.

I seem to recall someone here actually has a Colin coat that looked pretty good? I wanna say it was DoctorWhat?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also the combination of the coat and the striped yellow pants and the blue polka dot clown bow thing he had going on. The coat on its own is loud but not horrible. The whole ensemble makes me think of a bad clown though.

I seem to recall someone here actually has a Colin coat that looked pretty good? I wanna say it was DoctorWhat?

I had the honor of seeing DoctorWhat’s coat in person, and it was magnificent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It doesn't fit me anymore. My shoulders got too broad. I should probably look into rehoming it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It doesn't fit me anymore. My shoulders got too broad. I should probably look into rehoming it.

Get a new one

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Add in a larger panel of another eye-searing colour. Or a vent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Just regenerate. Probably easier.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

I remember you posting a photo at a convention where you were arguing with a McCoy cosplayer, it was an excellent coat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah okay sure Time Lords went to war with space vampires . LMAO but it is a good serial. I think I'm about half way through season 18 but its been half way decent so far.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"Actually, myths about [some supernatural thing] is just folk memories of a sci fi thing" is a well the show unsurprisingly visits a lot, with stuff like State of Decay, Pyramids of Mars, The Horns of Nimon, The Daemons, The Time Monster...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Hollismason posted:

Yeah okay sure Time Lords went to war with space vampires

Low key I think this is one of the goofiest bits of lore in the entire show. I love that vampires of all baddies are the ancient eternal foes of the Time Lords. Presumably the monsters in Vampires of Venice are from that one chunk of the universe where everything is vaguely vampire-y, like how most of the show takes place in the part where everyone looks vaguely like a British theatre actor Time Lord.

I kinda gave up on my Eight Doctor Adventures read-through, but Vampire Science is great and also has a really funny bit where one of the vampires starts talking about how she saw the Doctor and the others are like, "...but Time Lords aren't real, they're just a fairy tale, right?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Actually, myths about [some supernatural thing] is just folk memories of a sci fi thing" is a well the show unsurprisingly visits a lot, with stuff like State of Decay, Pyramids of Mars, The Horns of Nimon, The Daemons, The Time Monster...

...The Abominable Snowmen, The Curse of Fenric, The Sea Devils, The Stones of Blood, Ghost Light...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...The Abominable Snowmen, The Curse of Fenric, The Sea Devils, The Stones of Blood, Ghost Light...

...The Satan Pit...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not super thrilled about the E-Space Trilogy but I do like that this last one has some pretty cool camera work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm not super thrilled about the E-Space Trilogy but I do like that this last one has some pretty cool camera work.

Yep. Warrior's Gate looks great, though I think it doesn't work as a story for me. But at least you have Adric!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

lines posted:

...The Satan Pit...

...Underworld, Battlefield, The Terror of the Zygons, The Ice Warriors...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...Underworld, Battlefield, The Terror of the Zygons, The Ice Warriors...

Timelash!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Paul Darrow's performance is pretty legendary, now you mention it...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I appreciate that Adric is young and a interesting voice but often his voice is "Look I'm going to do what is going to keep me alive.. gently caress these other people." Its refreshing that his companion is basically a coward who puts his safety first.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Paul Darrow's performance is pretty legendary, now you mention it...

There's a fun bit in the EDAs when the fun police Gallifreyians hunt down the Borad because there can only be one (1) Loch Ness Monster!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I was a kid I knew another kid who was an even bigger Who nerd that I was (goddamn), and I remember one of the most satisfying things was stumping him on a "quiz" where I asked what the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, because he of course answered the Daleks and I smugly explained that they were the DOCTOR'S greatest enemy, but the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, of course, Space Vampires :smug:

God, I was (am) such a loving dork. :)