Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Some taken with my first "pro" camera, 1Ds II. I think that even today it holds up well. Maybe more street than landscape/cityscape?

VH0M5745 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M5725 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M3786 by C M, on Flickr

Going down by C M, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

drat, that's super sharp.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

these are beautiful, just lovely colour/rendering/light

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Heading back to this area in May.

IMG_8470-2 by C M, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I've yet to find a stitching solution that can handle powerlines. Tried 4 different programs, might have to dig out the PC and use the old Microsoft ICE for this shot. Wanted to get it before the sun was down but it was raining and the sign wasn't on. Might try again with a longer focal length, but I also like how tiny it is in that space.

100% crop

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 7, 2024

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Re: power lines. How many photos are you taking for that stitch?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's your setup? You just panning your camera on a head or you using a rail to (try to) exploit the nodal point?

Don't get me wrong, I have no suggestions, I'm purely fishing for info. I've grown addicted to panos and have been trying to decide how to step it up because the stitching is such a horrible chore. I won't do scenes with straight lines because of the stitching problem and I'm curious if a nodal rail or one of those ridiculous gimbal setups will help.

Granted, it's almost certainly a software problem. Nick Carver did a video a ways back where he tested film scan techniques and one of them was using a DSLR, and even in a controlled environment where he made sure the camera was perfectly square to his film he had issues stitching power lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9d8BukUgzI&t=1756s

It's absurd but it's got me coming up with a plot to get into 4x5 just so I can do this stuff in a single frame. The digital world hasn't really addressed this problem, the closest you can get is spending $10k to get a medium format setup that does 100MP and cropping the poo poo out of it. Even as expensive as film+developing is I could shoot for years and not spend that much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mostly just handheld, but I have toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated head for it since I do them often enough. The problem is I'm usually not carrying a tripod or even a bag that could carry one, often just on my bike with the camera in the handlebar bag. I'd say Lightroom handles it fine 90% of the time, but that 10% is a massive pain that mostly kills the shot.

Viginti Septem posted:

Re: power lines. How many photos are you taking for that stitch?

That was 4 shots, but I did one with 8 for more overlap and it had even worse breaks in the lines.

Using a calculator, that shot comes out to the equivalent of a 27mm f/0.7 shot which is cool.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 6, 2024

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
sin título-00003 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

sin título-00004 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

sin título-00001 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

sin título-00002 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This is super cool. honestly, even after you posted about the powerlines I can't see the issue, so I think it works. I love that you can see the different light sources at the back of the block, really three dimensional

the shadows and reflections in these are great, really clever shots imo

best one of the patch yet

i took a chance on a vitoret off ebay and just got the first roll back, good news is it worked, bad news is these images are pretty bad lol. I only had fomapan 400 on hand and the max speed is 1/125 so these are nearly all at f16 and overexposed. This is my first time using a camera with zone focus/no way to check focus so I guess some of it is learning, but man a lot of these came back terrible. Here's a couple of the ok ones (these are the scans i got back, no post except rotation/resizing):

there's obviously some poo poo in the lens, not sure if there's much I can do about it without taking it apart, which I am not game to do.

this image is boring but was at f8 and the image quality is noticeably better, so I'll probably try again with either 100 or 50 iso film and see how it goes (also I'll probably use an actual film lab instead of a chain camera store)

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

majour333 posted:

No reason, your work is amazing. What did you shoot this set on?

Sorry for the late reply. I'll have to double-check at home but I'm reasonably sure I shot this on Superia 400 with my Olympus OM-1n. It's my first film camera that I picked up around 2 years ago. I barely used it for the first year as it's fully manual with a broken light meter but it did get me venturing into film which has been a super fun, challenging and educational experience. And now I'm poor.

I think I've been following this thread for a decade, it's absolutely my favourite thread to scroll through. I like to check in every month or so to let the posts build up.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Couple of shots before I'm off on vacation for a week. Going to bring a Sigma DP2m and nothing else because I'm a creative genius loving dumbass. Wish me luck, I have lots of batteries.

DSC_3193 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M2324 by C M, on Flickr

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

This rules.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A4823-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4831-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4842-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4926-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

Not sure which aspect ratio I prefer on the first.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 12, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably the 4:3 in this case, with the pano it feels forced to not cut off the tower and ends up not leaving enough space under the dump truck.

But otherwise I'd always vote for the pano.

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
i like the pano

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I'm in love with these colors.

Wonderfully tranquil.

I miss colors

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A4816-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4816-Pano-2 by david childers, on Flickr

Decided on this tighter framing, but now I can't decide between color or not. The tree on the right isn't cut off in the real crop either, ignore the export border I put on it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think it works better in colour. There isn't enough tonal separation to really make the black and white work so the colour helps with legibility.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lovely (and cold).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

BigCamera-20240214-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I do love that! wow

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks!

BigCamera-20240216-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9i_HEOkxo

Super informative video going in depth with how lighting and sunsets work. Most of it is a good explanation of things we know intuitively, but some of it is very counter-intuitive and will be very helpful in future shooting (like light getting harsher even as it dims after the sun sets). I never considered that being the case with the sun even though it works exactly the same with strobes. I just assumed the atmospheric diffusion would outweigh that effect, but cool to see examples of the opposite.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is really cool. Some of the stuff in there I'd started to recognize just from lingering outside before sunrise/after sunset but it's way cooler to actually know why it's that way.

The light when the sun is 15-25 minutes beyond the horizon is gorgeous to just stare at. Hard to compose a photo for sunrise because it's pretty dark when I set up but I've trained myself to stay in one spot for 30 minutes after sunset because it's gonna get gorgeous.

I gotta find a copy of that book. It looks pretty easy to find, there's several editions out. Some of them are priced at lol numbers though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Galen Rowell's 'Mountain Light' seems pretty similar (I have it, not the book he mentions) and is apparently one tenth the price

that video only makes me wish i still had a T/S lens. oh well

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao did like four people from this thread just buy this on amazon, most of the used listings have just disappeared

e: oh only on one edition. anyway by the rowell book, he was dope

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that video only makes me wish i still had a T/S lens. oh well

Spending my Friday afternoon googling options for a bellows set for a mirrorless camera. And lenses with enough flange distance that a bellows will work.

A 105mm LF lens only provides a 20 degree angle of view on a FF camera. :negative:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Wish I had a bit longer lens and had used a tripod but I'll take it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But you couldn't post a high-res version? :colbert:

E: (It is beautiful, though. holy poo poo).

Wibla fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 17, 2024

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Wibla posted:

But you couldn't post a high-res version? :colbert:

E: (It is beautiful, though. holy poo poo).

Was trying to post something that wouldn't get mangled by compression when displayed inline but seem to have failed. Full res, jpg straight from the camera with film sim and "telephoto" crop: https://i.imgur.com/7VOEJnP.jpeg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't get to see that moment so not sure if a long lens would have been better but as is I think the positioning of the road really solidifies things. The sense of scale and depth it provides really makes it better.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DP2M0060 by C M, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Trees-20240222-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Trees-20240222-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

this is awesome, all those straight lines, the snow, the long shadows, the yellow

this is really nice too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

field balm posted:

this is awesome, all those straight lines, the snow, the long shadows, the yellow

this is really nice too!

drat.

untitled-00003 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

untitled-00004 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

untitled-00001 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

untitled-00002 by Esa Foto, on Flickr