Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

good lord. any pilot should be able to ground a club plane at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

pilots cant "ground" airplanes. only maintenance can do that. pilots can, however, not fly an airplane they deem unsafe to fly

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arson Daily posted:

pilots cant "ground" airplanes. only maintenance can do that. pilots can, however, not fly an airplane they deem unsafe to fly

Sure we can, at least in Canada. Write a defect in the journey log and it’s grounded until maintenance looks at it and signs off, by law.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

true. a pilots write up will ground an airplane until a mechanic writes "could not duplicate" or MEL's the offending system. this is not always compatible with safety. pilots refusing to fly an airplane is what gets them fixed for good most of the time.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

talking about club planes - there's a grounded placard in the seat pocket in each of ours. naturally airline sop will be different.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yellowD posted:

there's a grounded placard in the seat pocket in each of ours

pff. what you really need is a handful of pre-printed INOP sticky labels :jeb:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maksimus54 posted:

Does Boeing run your flight school? What the actual gently caress!

It's the flying club. They are, in my opinion, pretty good about maintenance and enforcing/cultivating safe practices, but sometimes you get these "what if we put a rubber band to it, is that still airworthy" discussions until a grownup enters the chat.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
At my flying club, we have three levels: “low,” “medium,” and “plane down” that members can squawk a plane for. More than once, I’ve seen people write legitimate things in “low” or “medium” and then someone else will come along and go “not required for day VFR.” Like, of course it’s not required for day VFR but what if someone wanted to take the plane out IFR, or at night, these are things the owner should address, we don’t need your smartass comments.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did my first WATRS run at night yesterday, PR to Philly.

Pretty humbling being out there in the pitch black.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

I used to work the HF radios out there. Only in the middle of the night did I have pilots giving voice reports while logged on CPDLC.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Were you in a neo? CPDLC makes it feel a bit weird when you do do a sel call check and then don't talk on the radio for several hours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nah we weren’t in the neo so we had to make the calls regardless. It helped hold off “the Bermuda spooky”

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rolo posted:

Hadn't heard that acronym before and discovered some serious Graphic design is my passion

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2022-03/WATRS.pdf

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

shame on an IGA posted:

Hadn't heard that acronym before and discovered some serious Graphic design is my passion

That first slide looks suspiciously like an MS Publisher template.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Trip report: I will now be the local GA weirdo who dons latex gloves

Nitrile, not latex, imo.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ryanrs posted:

Nitrile, not latex, imo.

Just looked at the box and it is in fact nitrile.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like WATRS. If you put WATRS into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put WATRS into a gulf and it becomes the gulf. You put it in an ASAP, it becomes the ASAP. Now, WATRS can flow or it can crash into the Bermuda Triangle. Be WATRS, my friend.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. My daily briefing feed at work is a cavalcade of lovely boomer clipart interrupted only by FAA-template PowerPoints that could easily be a simple memo and GENOTs for new call signs that are still scans of a paper fax from ICAO for some loving reason.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Re: last page, is unleaded avgas still not a thing in the US? A lot of small GA airfields around here (Sweden) don't even have 100LL at all anymore, only 91/96UL. I don't know what it's like in other EU countries but I do know that since maybe 10 years ago or so EASA has a procedure that lets owners self-certify their aircraft for 91/96UL provided that the engine is unmodified and that the engine manufacturer has approved 91/96UL for that engine (regardless of aircraft).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's just getting started here. There is a one-to-one unleaded replacement for 100LL that reportedly about half of the GA fleet can use with no aircraft modifications, just a $100 STC. My local flight school has switched over entirely. But it certainly isn't available everywhere and I don't think it's being taken up very quickly.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sagebrush posted:

It's just getting started here. There is a one-to-one unleaded replacement for 100LL that reportedly about half of the GA fleet can use with no aircraft modifications, just a $100 STC. My local flight school has switched over entirely. But it certainly isn't available everywhere and I don't think it's being taken up very quickly.

I see, so it is coming along then. 91/96UL has been available since the early 90's here so it's had time to gain traction, but I think it really started to gain popularity once EASA introduced the CS-STAN procedure ("standard changes and repairs", things you can do on your own aircraft without a mechanic license, although some of the procedures require inspection afterwards), since that avoids the STC entirely. 91/96UL is also a bit cheaper than 100LL (it's taxed at a lower rate) and on Lycoming engines you get to enjoy extended oil change intervals when running on unleaded fuel, so there are some incentives to switch beyond just getting rid of the lead.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 2, 2024

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Well I just landed a job that will end the lovely commuting I currently have to do. I'll be able to drive home after work and sleep in my own bed with my wife and occasionally my toddler. Keep reaching for the stars folks, one day it could be you! The only downside is I have to fly an airbus and can no longer act like a steely eyed missile man cause I fly Boeing planes that bolts and other things fall off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Congratulations! You’re gonna love DA BUS, there are like 4 different places to put your feet, you get a little table, it rules.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It appears you can even go off-roading in the bus!

https://twitter.com/thatsillyginge/status/1753881513186185657?s=46

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

Congratulations! You’re gonna love DA BUS, there are like 4 different places to put your feet, you get a little table, it rules.
Frankly the ability to eat my lunch off a table is a strong motivator

You should see the state of my tie.

SomeDrunkenMick fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 4, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Delta killed it by having trading cards. I have to say no every other leg because we still have sharp pins we’re supposed to be giving kids.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

Delta killed it by having trading cards. I have to say no every other leg because we still have sharp pins we’re supposed to be giving kids.

Is this a delta thing? I've never heard of it till someone came into the cockpit while I was in a Spanish airport asking did we have any.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It is, and I wish I had something neat to give people.

We have the fake plastic wing pins but I don’t know who to give them to. They’re sharp as hell so I don’t want to give them to anyone young enough to think they’re cool. The clasp is also loose as hell, I have put one directly into my finger tip while trying to get one out of my bag.

Gimme cool merch to pass out or I’m gonna start giving briefing cards away.

E: god apples autocorrect hates grammar

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 5, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
gonna start asking the pilots for a signed approach plate when I fly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

somebody give that tail a thin blue line sticker, undercarriage LEDs and a squat suspension

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

the milk machine posted:

gonna start asking the pilots for a signed approach plate when I fly

I was gonna suggest this or signed pages from the checklist(s)

Y'all use iPad ones anyway, rip me a page outta the paper copy :hellyeah:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if i want to do my ppl sometime in the near future, but in the meantime am a nerd about aviation and would like to be able to follow along better when i ride along with my friend who has his ppl, is there any downside to doing an online ground school other than "costs a few hundred bucks, might have to repeat it / do a different one by the time a ppl becomes realistic"? is any particular school a good pick, with that in mind?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not sure if King is still a go-to in 2024 but no, I don’t see a downside to learning about airplanes in your spare time. A decent knowledge of ground school subjects will help you retain and use important info you’ll pick up during actual training.

Just don’t burn out, give yourself breaks, we joke around in aviation that learning new subjects feels like drinking out of a firehose sometimes.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I'm deciding on online ground schools right now for ppl. Apparently Kings is extremely cringe, and still VHS quality.

Sporty's is updated with modern graphics, and available on a bunch of platforms including Roku???

Gleim is another contender, but I'm not finding much independent info on it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm using the finer points iPad app and really liking it

turbulents
Jul 11, 2004
jump on it.
I've tried a few and prefer Flight Insight over all the others. There are some samples videos on YouTube that you can check out before buying. The Finer Points is good too, but has a pricing model that makes it way too loving expensive if you take more than a year to get your PPL or ever want to brush up in the distant future.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I’ve been using flight insight for my commercial ground, and I have really enjoyed it. Plus, their pricing model is definitely great.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wombot posted:

I'm deciding on online ground schools right now for ppl. Apparently Kings is extremely cringe, and still VHS quality.

Sporty's is updated with modern graphics, and available on a bunch of platforms including Roku???

Gleim is another contender, but I'm not finding much independent info on it.
Embrace Kings, it might be old and cringy, but it works. Plus they've got a sale on right now for their 50th anniversary, ends next Thursday the 15th:

$250 off Career Bundles
$150 off Get-It-All kits
$50 off Ground School, Checkride and Combo courses

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

king is both the funny and real answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are people still having sex dreams about Martha