Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dip Viscous posted:

I still haven't figured out how to scan QR codes. Everyone says "just point the camera at it" but across three phones that does nothing. I could look up how to do it but that's cheating.

You download a QR scanner app. I think maybe phones used to have that automatically built in to the camera app but that's a recipe for people hiding them places to send you to dodgy links.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

You download a QR scanner app. I think maybe phones used to have that automatically built in to the camera app but that's a recipe for people hiding them places to send you to dodgy links.

Google's (or maybe Samsung's) camera app has it built in, I use it nearly every day on my work phone to access device configs. You open Camera normally, point it at the QR code, and it shows you the text of the link at the bottom of the screen. Tap it and it takes you to the website.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Google's (or maybe Samsung's) camera app has it built in, I use it nearly every day on my work phone to access device configs. You open Camera normally, point it at the QR code, and it shows you the text of the link at the bottom of the screen. Tap it and it takes you to the website.

My phone (Pixel 6a) has a specific qr reader app, or you can use the Lens app. The regular camera app doesn't scan qr codes.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

My phone (Pixel 6a) has a specific qr reader app, or you can use the Lens app. The regular camera app doesn't scan qr codes.

My Phone (also pixel 6a) does not have a specific qr reader app, the regular camera app scans qr codes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This is how my iPhone does it too. Sometimes I accidentally hide the link and forget the other thing I have to tap to bring it back but it’s there

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Phosphine posted:

My Phone (also pixel 6a) does not have a specific qr reader app, the regular camera app scans qr codes

There's a setting in the camera app to turn qr reading on or off. There's a QR reader button in the quick settings dock but I don't think it's a separate app.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
People who try to sound fancy when they aren’t. Listening to somebody trying to make some sort of phone complaint at high volume unfortunately. I’m hesitant to use the Karen meme since at least it sounds like an actual reasonable complaint, but boy, trying to use words like “rectify” and mixing it in with double negatives sure gives a similar pretentious vibe.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I have a peeve for this thread: People who are not helpful and do not want to help, but want to be remembered as having helped and inject themselves into situations as a result.

I feel like this is probably a universal phenomenon, but I'll give the example I'm living right now. My roommate passed last year, and he had a bad relationship with his brother (Reyn) who is, by all accounts, a selfish rich rear end in a top hat. After he died, Reyn started showing up to the house on a monthly basis, not to help but to "help". It almost feels like he's trying to redeem himself for how poorly he treated his dead brother.

He shows up with 24 hours of notice, and does what he imagines will be helpful without ever asking what we want or need help with. The estate just left probate (and while it was in probate I was living in the house just so it would be occupied and wouldn't fall to poo poo) so I'm moving this week. Six months ago Reyn showed up and hired a dumpster. He didn't ask, the dumpster just appeared in the driveway on the same day he arrived. We knew Probate was going to take at least 4 more months, there was no need for a dumpster, it's not like the dead brother was a hoarder. And yet, here it was, a dumpster blocking in my car.

Of course, he called in the dumpster so he wanted to use it. So he did. He dragged out his deceased brother's bedroom furniture, his couches, his dining room chairs (but weirdly not the table). We hadn't even tried to give any of these things away, but he wanted to "help" so "help" he did. Nevermind that I was living in the house. Nevermind that his father and I were still using the furniture. No no, he had to "help". So for the last 6 months the house has been unfurnished, save for a small amount of furniture I own.

Now he's back, and wants to "help" me move. He didn't warn me he was coming, not that he wanted to help me move, so I am in the process of packing boxes as I go and he, wanting to "help", is asking me what he can do.

Half my stuff is going to storage and half to my new place, but there is no way to easily differentiate between what goes where to another person, so he cannot help pack boxes. I've been labelling boxes as to where they go as I make them, but I cannot pack boxes at the rate he can pick them up and move them to the respective piles. There is nothing he can do. And yet here he is, coming to me like an unwanted attention-starved dog every 5 minutes, asking how he can "help".

Even when I give him a task, he is non-useful about it. I asked him to pack the remaining stuff in the kitchen (it is the dead brother's stuff and is going to the dad's house), but he cannot do this autonomously. He has to ask me what boxes he can use (the boxes in the kitchen), how to label them (kitchen stuff, to Dad's house), and what to put in which boxes (I do not give a single gently caress). He asks me if his packing is sufficient (again no fucks). He comes to me with various kitchen things to ask if they're mine (they're not, I packed all my stuff) because he doesn't think his brother would own, for example, a blender (he did not know his brother at all and is not an authority on what he would or would not have owned).

All this time his father is sleeping in my computer chair, because Reyn insists he come along, even though Dad is 94. Still, the brother comes to me with questions that only Dad could answer, like "does Dad want/need this?". I don't know, Reyn, he's sleeping in the office for some godforsaken loving reason, ask him. He can't though, not without me telling him to. gently caress.

Overall he has now wasted half the day and I'd have been done if not for his insistent presence. Oh and every hour or so he gets on the phone in the middle of the living room to repeatedly inform everyone he can think to call that he is out of town, in Florida, "helping" his dad and his dead brother's roommate. That's the point, getting credit for being helpful is the point. Helping in any actual capacity is, at best, a tertiary goal.

His dad is on my side, and keeps asking Reyn to go with him to other places so I can be left alone. He won't go, because after all, he came to help. Helping, hell or high water.

He's hosed off with a load to Dad's house so I'm sitting on the back porch smoking a cigar. I'm so loving stressed out, and I quit smoking a year ago so this is not great. I just wish he'd leave, but he won't. loving gently caress I hate this poo poo.

Anyway that's all, hope everyone is having a much, much better weekend than I am. Can't wait to see how he wants to help for the rest of the week he's here. gently caress.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Feb 3, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

People who try to sound fancy when they aren’t. Listening to somebody trying to make some sort of phone complaint at high volume unfortunately. I’m hesitant to use the Karen meme since at least it sounds like an actual reasonable complaint, but boy, trying to use words like “rectify” and mixing it in with double negatives sure gives a similar pretentious vibe.

Rectify ain't no fancy word.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I have a peeve for this thread: People who are not helpful and do not want to help, but want to be remembered as having helped and inject themselves into situations as a result.

Someone once offered me a ride home as I was stepping into my Uber that they had waited for with me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The "oh, if I'd have known" folks.

Even if they DO know, which sometimes they definitely do but quietly pretend they don't so they don't actually gotta lift a finger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I feel like this is probably a universal phenomenon, but I'll give the example I'm living right now. My roommate passed last year, and he had a bad relationship with his brother (Reyn) who is, by all accounts, a selfish rich rear end in a top hat. After he died, Reyn started showing up to the house on a monthly basis, not to help but to "help". It almost feels like he's trying to redeem himself for how poorly he treated his dead brother.

He shows up with 24 hours of notice, and does what he imagines will be helpful without ever asking what we want or need help with. The estate just left probate (and while it was in probate I was living in the house just so it would be occupied and wouldn't fall to poo poo) so I'm moving this week. Six months ago Reyn showed up and hired a dumpster. He didn't ask, the dumpster just appeared in the driveway on the same day he arrived. We knew Probate was going to take at least 4 more months, there was no need for a dumpster, it's not like the dead brother was a hoarder. And yet, here it was, a dumpster blocking in my car.

Of course, he called in the dumpster so he wanted to use it. So he did. He dragged out his deceased brother's bedroom furniture, his couches, his dining room chairs (but weirdly not the table). We hadn't even tried to give any of these things away, but he wanted to "help" so "help" he did. Nevermind that I was living in the house. Nevermind that his father and I were still using the furniture. No no, he had to "help". So for the last 6 months the house has been unfurnished, save for a small amount of furniture I own.

Now he's back, and wants to "help" me move. He didn't warn me he was coming, not that he wanted to help me move, so I am in the process of packing boxes as I go and he, wanting to "help", is asking me what he can do.

Half my stuff is going to storage and half to my new place, but there is no way to easily differentiate between what goes where to another person, so he cannot help pack boxes. I've been labelling boxes as to where they go as I make them, but I cannot pack boxes at the rate he can pick them up and move them to the respective piles. There is nothing he can do. And yet here he is, coming to me like an unwanted attention-starved dog every 5 minutes, asking how he can "help".

Even when I give him a task, he is non-useful about it. I asked him to pack the remaining stuff in the kitchen (it is the dead brother's stuff and is going to the dad's house), but he cannot do this autonomously. He has to ask me what boxes he can use (the boxes in the kitchen), how to label them (kitchen stuff, to Dad's house), and what to put in which boxes (I do not give a single gently caress). He asks me if his packing is sufficient (again no fucks). He comes to me with various kitchen things to ask if they're mine (they're not, I packed all my stuff) because he doesn't think his brother would own, for example, a blender (he did not know his brother at all and is not an authority on what he would or would not have owned).

All this time his father is sleeping in my computer chair, because Reyn insists he come along, even though Dad is 94. Still, the brother comes to me with questions that only Dad could answer, like "does Dad want/need this?". I don't know, Reyn, he's sleeping in the office for some godforsaken loving reason, ask him. He can't though, not without me telling him to. gently caress.

Overall he has now wasted half the day and I'd have been done if not for his insistent presence. Oh and every hour or so he gets on the phone in the middle of the living room to repeatedly inform everyone he can think to call that he is out of town, in Florida, "helping" his dad and his dead brother's roommate. That's the point, getting credit for being helpful is the point. Helping in any actual capacity is, at best, a tertiary goal.

His dad is on my side, and keeps asking Reyn to go with him to other places so I can be left alone. He won't go, because after all, he came to help. Helping, hell or high water.

He's hosed off with a load to Dad's house so I'm sitting on the back porch smoking a cigar. I'm so loving stressed out, and I quit smoking a year ago so this is not great. I just wish he'd leave, but he won't. loving gently caress I hate this poo poo.

Anyway that's all, hope everyone is having a much, much better weekend than I am. Can't wait to see how he wants to help for the rest of the week he's here. gently caress.

My condolences, this really gets on my nerves too. My wife's sister is in the process of moving house so we've gone over a few times to help with her parents and other siblings* and although they're genuinely well-meaning her whole family has problems with this. They're experts at making a one-person one hour job into a four-person two hour job. We've been doing what we can trying to just get people to split up and focus on what they can and not swarm the moving couple with "help" but it's an uphill fight, especially with her brothers.

(*we've tried suggesting that people go over to help in shifts but That's Not What Families Do apparently)

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Feb 4, 2024

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just tell him to gently caress off wtf

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People that won’t stop fidgeting, especially at the table

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. I hate children as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People that never fidget! What are you, a statue!?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

Just tell him to gently caress off wtf

He won't. The last time we did that (he was abusing Dad in an attempt to wrest power of attorney from him) he cancelled his ticket home and stayed for two weeks.

Wait, I've just been informed that he cancelled his ticket home again because Dad won't tell him when his next doctor's appointment is. loving gently caress. He stresses his Dad out so much, if there's something going on this won't improve the prognosis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Almost at the end of Baldur's Gate 3 and there's some really long, complicated fights with large numbers of participants, and part way through I keep having a character fall through the world geometry and die. First two times I used a resurrection scroll because I've saved up a ton of them, but the second time I did that the character immediately fell through the world and died again.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He won't. The last time we did that (he was abusing Dad in an attempt to wrest power of attorney from him) he cancelled his ticket home and stayed for two weeks.

Wait, I've just been informed that he cancelled his ticket home again because Dad won't tell him when his next doctor's appointment is. loving gently caress. He stresses his Dad out so much, if there's something going on this won't improve the prognosis.

God. People are the ultimate paramount pet peeve. Hope this crap ends soon.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Are we related? Because this sounds just like my brother-in-law.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Got a two-day cold, but a week of phlegm

Just stop already, it's over

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

God. People are the ultimate paramount pet peeve. Hope this crap ends soon.

Well my hard out on the house stuff is Saturday, we have a deep clean crew coming and after that I don't cross the threshold.

The dad stuff will last longer, because Dad's most recent diagnosis is maybe-cancer. To be clear, he's not my dad, just the dad of my deceased roommate, but we're buddies. We get breakfast on Saturdays and turn wood sometimes. Adoptive son is jealous, and wants to be part of Dad's life, but not enough to put in effort. When he found out I was turning wood with his dad he asked Dad for a lathe so he could turn wood too. Dad gave him one to be nice, but that was 6 months ago and he "hasn't found time to use it much". Motherfucker stole a lathe from a geriatric.

He's here because of the house sale, and he's not so much helping as just injecting himself and changing plans without informing stakeholders, which is... fun.

He'll hang around for another week or two, maybe until the house is sold, but old man health issues move slow until they move very, very fast. He's gonna get bored and leave sooner than later. He got over a million and a half from the estate (and was already a multimillionaire), while dad got nothing but the house and a truck that needs a new transmission. The deceased used to subsidize Dad to the tune of $2k a month, but adoptive son won't take up that mantle and despite being a multi-millionaire retiree that travels the world with his wife actually recently told Dad he's "cut off". It's insane, he's the worst person I've ever known.

I'm not tooting my horn, to be clear, but I've done thousands of dollars of unpaid renovations on the house (mostly just badly deferred maintenance) in addition to paying the mortgage since the roommate died. All of this explicitly and specifically to maximize Dad's take on the sale and prevent foreclosure (and I don't want the money back, it's well spent in my book).

Adoptive son rented a dumpster nobody needed and hired a landscaper this week because I guess I didn't do a good enough job with the landscaping. That's true, I didn't, but I've had a lot on my plate and I've been working and pretty depressed. Still, pales in comparison to my outlay and the motherfucker has the audacity to call my repairs "lipstick on a pig" (he thinks the house isn't a great house, which may be true but it's in downtown so looking nice will be a huge force multiplier for the sale). I've been keeping the house alone this whole time and that feels like a kick in the teeth.

Fuckin hell I hate this guy so much. Sorry I'm venting a bit, but like loving augh. Also Dad found out that he might have cancer

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 7, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There is this animation style I've always hated. It became kind of popular, especially in like Flash-based animations in the 00s. It's this thing where, before any limb or object or anything moves, it first have to briefly move in the opposite direction. In some ways this appear somewhat natural -- like if you were going to take a step forward, it makes sense you would first lean on your leg and then propel with it. But this animation does that with everything. Not a single thing moves without first moving backwards. Everything is a reaction to the elastic backwards motion. I loving hate it. It's distracting as poo poo.

I think there's a name for this because I've seen another goon complain about the same thing but I don't know if it was in this thread and I can't immediately come up with an example but goddamn it really saturates a lot of animation. Professional animation doesn't do it, and amateur animation doesn't do it; it's like in that middle zone that really really likes this awful weird fuckin style.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

There is this animation style I've always hated. It became kind of popular, especially in like Flash-based animations in the 00s. It's this thing where, before any limb or object or anything moves, it first have to briefly move in the opposite direction. In some ways this appear somewhat natural -- like if you were going to take a step forward, it makes sense you would first lean on your leg and then propel with it. But this animation does that with everything. Not a single thing moves without first moving backwards. Everything is a reaction to the elastic backwards motion. I loving hate it. It's distracting as poo poo.

I think there's a name for this because I've seen another goon complain about the same thing but I don't know if it was in this thread and I can't immediately come up with an example but goddamn it really saturates a lot of animation. Professional animation doesn't do it, and amateur animation doesn't do it; it's like in that middle zone that really really likes this awful weird fuckin style.

Do you mean anticipation? It is used in professional animation, but you just have to do it well for it to work. When bad flash animators did it they tended to overdo and overuse it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OtE60T8yU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

Do you mean anticipation? It is used in professional animation, but you just have to do it well for it to work. When bad flash animators did it they tended to overdo and overuse it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OtE60T8yU

Yeah, that does seem to be what I'm talking about. Some things it definitely makes sense for; like in this video demonstrating how someone cannot jump without first bending their knees.

But it looks so distracting and so many extra unnecessary frames to animate things that don't require such a wind-up to execute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OtE60T8yU&t=51s

Here, just to throw it out there, I find it looks way better to just have the face express shock, rather than squash into itself first and then propel and stretch upward to express shock. I don't do that. I don't think it looks natural at all.

It looks really awkward when like two people are talking and their heads are constantly bouncing in-then-out for everything they say. It makes them look like bobbleheads.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing this video, though! I didn't know if there was even a term for this style.

credburn has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Feb 8, 2024

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

It looks really awkward when like two people are talking and their heads are constantly bouncing in-then-out for everything they say. It makes them look like bobbleheads.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing this video, though! I didn't know if there was even a term for this style.

Nah, I agree with you that it should be very subtle. If you notice it, it's done badly. Like that shock face example you used, it probably looks ok if it's a one off expression, but if every movement is spring-loaded it becomes silly.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

credburn posted:

Here, just to throw it out there, I find it looks way better to just have the face express shock, rather than squash into itself first and then propel and stretch upward to express shock. I don't do that. I don't think it looks natural at all.

I was on a flight and oversaw someone watching Hotel Transylvania or whatever Adam Sandler animated movie. It felt like the same thing as you describe where every movement is over the top animated and bouncy, even if it is just two people talking.

They say in pro wrestling, you need to make your movements clear enough that even from the worst seats they know exactly what you are doing. When things get over-animated in film, it feels like you are sitting two feet away from someone trying to project all they way to the nosebleed seats of the arena.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Here's a specific and personal peeve:

I'm trying to lose weight. Happens I legitimately loving love salad. I would eat it all the time if it weren't for my peeve, being they're a pain in the rear end to make yourself! All those vegetables to cut and mix together and a lot of ingredients to keep fresh and they don't last long and I hate it! It's the most annoying time consuming thing when I just want to chow down on a bowl full of delicious vegetables!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Hit up Costco and buy some bagged salad kits. Not too pricey if you treat each as a meal and you can cook in bulk some chicken or whatever protein to add to them throughout the week.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My usual grocery store has bags of pre-made salad in several varieties that are decent quality and cheaper than it would be for me to buy the ingredients but they only come in massive bags that I couldn't possibly use before it goes bad even if I ate nothing else.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

beepo posted:

Hit up Costco and buy some bagged salad kits. Not too pricey if you treat each as a meal and you can cook in bulk some chicken or whatever protein to add to them throughout the week.

:hmmyes: This is a good idea. In my particular case, I don't have a Costco membership. We have a local regional wholesale warehouse up here (BJ's), but they're far enough away that I only go there about once a month.

Dip Viscous posted:

My usual grocery store has bags of pre-made salad in several varieties that are decent quality and cheaper than it would be for me to buy the ingredients but they only come in massive bags that I couldn't possibly use before it goes bad even if I ate nothing else.

However! This is also a good idea and I will hit up my local grocery store next time I go shopping to see what they have. I'd love to just be able to chow down on some salads.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm wary of bagged salad mixes because they seem to be a huge vector for e.coli infections... :/

If you do get some, stay away from the Fresh Express brand, at least.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wary of bagged salad mixes because they seem to be a huge vector for e.coli infections... :/

If you do get some, stay away from the Fresh Express brand, at least.

simply purchase a medical uv sterilizer and purge any bacterial life on the surface of your salad

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

They did say they're trying to lose weight.

(In all seriousness, my husband and I have started eating those bagged chopped salads. Haven't had a bad variety yet, and one bag makes for two heaping servings.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Having one of those lovely random dropping internet problems where there's no seeming cause but the solution is to go to the router and reset it, wherever you are, which is probably a computer on a different floor

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dear Private Shitskov who got on the treadmill right next to me just now when there’s a loving line of empty ones: you are a bad person and should feel bad

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ask any politician, regardless of their "side", a simple yes/no question and they will almost always filibuster with a 30 second to a minute reply that does everything except answer the original question. Yes, I know that's 'just the way politics is' but I'm so loving sick and tired of it. Normal people - those who aren't psycho careerists who think being a seat moistener in congress is a meaningful job - are able to say "Yes" or "No" when a simple question is put to them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Ask any politician, regardless of their "side", a simple yes/no question and they will almost always filibuster with a 30 second to a minute reply that does everything except answer the original question. Yes, I know that's 'just the way politics is' but I'm so loving sick and tired of it. Normal people - those who aren't psycho careerists who think being a seat moistener in congress is a meaningful job - are able to say "Yes" or "No" when a simple question is put to them.

I hate both sides of this. It is a real fuckin politician thing to NOT answer a yes/no question, but sometimes those "yes/no" questions are so laughable traps. YES OR NO DO YOU SUPPORT BIDEN MURDERING BABIES WITH HIS KATANA IT IS A SIMPLE QUESTION GOVERNOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
similar peeve:

Q. "trans rights?"

1. Republicans: "No"
2. Democrats: "It's complicated, [long milquetoast hemhaw bullshit]" - this is just a longer way to say no, y'all are dipshits