Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A family friend who has sadly passed a few years ago used to work as a volunteer for mountain rescue up in Donner Pass area throughout the 90s and early 00s. There's a couple of ski resorts up there, Sugar Bowl and Boreal being the most well-known. Throughout the winter they'd be out most weekends and a decent number of weekdays. Most of the time it doesn't make the news because they find the lost skiers within a few hours or the lost people find their way back etc. But it was a neverending quest to rescue people in search of fresh powder from their own stupidity.

I think one factor is that most (?) ski resorts don't have like, a fence around the whole resort, above the snow, where you can unequivocally pass a border that your brain says "oh now I'm just in the wilderness and no longer at a curated staffed holiday resort" so they resort to a lot of signage that nobody reads to try and get through to people. Plus people intentionally go around or past markers to "just ski in a bit of powder" and assume that they can easily get back to the slope, that it'll be easy to see the chairlift from far away, that the weather is clear right now so it'll probably be clear in an hour or two, it'll still be light out at 5pm in midwinter, and various other misconceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There you go now no one else needs to go there

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1752947424870519163

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ugh, that camera is terrible.

I'm gonna have to go there in person to actually see what I'm looking at there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zarin posted:

Ugh, that camera is terrible.

I'm gonna have to go there in person to actually see what I'm looking at there.

Pretty sure it's a couple of people on top of a pretty tall hill OP.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

See this is why I never did downhill skiing. When the best resort near you has the word “kill” in its name there’s no incentive to try it.

Also XC is super chill in comparison.

XC can be chill but skiing when a race team is practicing is hell. The high school kids are maniacs.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dr_rat posted:

climbing to the top of a tall hill ftw

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dr_rat posted:

What are mountains, if not simply tall hills?

What are hills, if not simply short mountains?

If the productive capacity of all of humanity that concerned themselves with this sort of over classification had instead been put to use creating a camera without the terrible fisheye lens in that Tweet, we could have had an actually useful video showcasing whatever the gently caress they were trying to get at.

Instead, we got a Tweet that was just actual garbage. But I suppose I repeat myself.

Alas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The fourth highest point in Denmark is called Himmelbjerget, literally Sky Mountain.

It reaches to amazing 147 metres asl. Not a sight for the faint hearted!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Zarin posted:

If the productive capacity of all of humanity that concerned themselves with this sort of over classification had instead been put to use creating a camera without the terrible fisheye lens in that Tweet, we could have had an actually useful video showcasing whatever the gently caress they were trying to get at.

Instead, we got a Tweet that was just actual garbage. But I suppose I repeat myself.

Alas.

it's a 360 degree video, you're meant to look at it in a vr headset where you wouldn't see any of the fisheye effect. i think it's cool tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the fisheye effect, it makes me want to jump off the mountain and fall to my death slingshot my way around the planet to the strains of the Mario Galaxy theme

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zarin posted:

Mountains are the ones that are rocky on top. Hills are the ones with trees and grasses at the top.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
big rear end latina teen chased by lesbian loving TREX at basecamp then hosed

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chief McHeath posted:

Well that's a strong bid for new thread title.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

lmao

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Chief McHeath posted:

Lmao

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Mountains are the ones that are rocky on top. Hills are the ones with trees and grasses at the top.

Marvel at this majestic mountain!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chief McHeath posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

These are all mountains. Sulitjelma is 1908 meters tall and has barren top. There are mountains where the tree line and vegetation goes way, way higher than that.

To muddle things further, climate change is slowly lifting tree lines higher and higher. Some of the lowest barren top mountains will eventually become completely covered by forest, which is unfortunate to their unique ecosystems.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
All previous Everest records nullified because now you have to climb the tree on the summit to really have ascended it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Chief McHeath posted:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PostNouveau posted:

All previous Everest records nullified because now you have to climb the tree on the summit to really have ascended it.

It's really cold up there, right?

So if - through a series of elaborate Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions - we could shoot a jet of water at the summit, it would freeze . . . right?

I wonder how much height could be added in pure ice each year . . .

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Zarin posted:

So if - through a series of elaborate Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions - we could shoot a jet of water at the summit, it would freeze . . . right?

Just require each visitor to pee on the summit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Just require each visitor to pee on the summit.

Mikael Niemi's novel Popular Music from Vittulanjänkä starts with the teller reaching the summit of a mountain where there is a metal plaque telling that this is the summit of the mountain. There he gets a sudden urge to bow down and touch it with his tongue, and unsurprisingly, gets stuck. He realizes he's going to die there, and starts going through his childhood memories.

At the end, he unzips and pees on his tongue to get loose.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm reading Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and it's making me NOT want to climb Everest. All of the people in this book were stupid before ascending and then hypoxia made them literal idiot babies and they all died from making insane decisions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zarin posted:

It snows on the summit all year, the maximum accumulation of ice is reached annually and it's not a lot. Ice does not have a lot of shear strength and it is a very, very steep drop off from a very small summit.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

smoobles posted:

I'm reading Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and it's making me NOT want to climb Everest. All of the people in this book were stupid before ascending and then hypoxia made them literal idiot babies and they all died from making insane decisions.

Read high crimes some time it is very descriptive about that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain is still my favorite climbing book i think

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

ethanol posted:

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain is still my favorite climbing book i think

That’s a great one I think my favorite is always Minus 148.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

smoobles posted:

everything he's written is good. i read into the wild in college and it definitely left an impression

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
If we're doing book recommendations, I liked "Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day" by Peter Zuckerman.

It's about the 2008 K2 disaster where 11 people died (not all at the same time, it's almost like a hosed up Benny Hill sequence). And, like it says in the title, it does focus mostly on the Sherpa and High Altitude Porters, which is a POV that gets overlooked a lot and is really worth learning more about.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cactus Ghost posted:

everything he's written is good. i read into the wild in college and it definitely left an impression

Under the Banner of Heaven is excellent as well, if you haven't checked it out

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pfft, come back when we've had the first birth on Everest

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Pfft, come back when we've had the first birth on Everest

Please, first conception

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Nenonen posted:

Please, first conception

This angers the mountain.

Supposedly.

I haven't tried it myself. Yet.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
mounting Everest

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

having a little death on everest, as a treat

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wanna see someone XC down Everest

E: 15 year old waxed Rossignols, plastic edges or it doesn't count.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 4, 2024

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

All his books are about idiot babies

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

All his books are about idiot babies

yeah if you're the type of weirdo who gets steaming mad about choices some stranger made two decades ago he is exactly the wrong author for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Please, first conception

The father deposits his seed on the peak in some virgin snow. Next season, mom comes along with a hand warmer and a turkey baster. Bing, bong, first baby conceived on everest