Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Medullah posted:

Everyone knows this but it would be a death sentence for funding. GaaS is big right now and if you're not selling new stuff you're dead. It sucks. Unfortunately they painted themselves into a corner.

It feels like that yes it would, but they can't have a team divided off to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Diabetic posted:

It feels like that yes it would, but they can't have a team divided off to do this?

Even under best practices, you can't really create 2 development forks and then bring them together. And then there's DBD's infamously spaghetti code where fixing footsteps sounds leads to clipping errors.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree the split dev team thing isn't likely feasible with that amount of code debt but I do feel like they need to change their design approach. Changes like the facecamping fix, basekit BT, Pinhead's box not hassling you while you solve it, should have never taken years like they did. And other things like reworking perks or buffing addons, while important, shouldn't be taking priority over things like fixing severe gameplay issues (e.g. tunneling) and you can't blame those on adding new content for the dollars.

Most of all, they need to actually listen to their fog whisperers who are most in touch with the game. Even if it's just Otz! Make him give you a sanity check on your planned patches. You'd save so much money. They routinely waste precious dev time on short sighted changes that the entire community boos as soon as they're announced (e.g. the Sadako nerf, nerfing Billy's addons a while back or whatever it was, forcing the killer's head down in recovery then trying to tell us it was always intended even if some killers look up in their animation, etc) and have to be immediately walked back.

While I've generally enjoyed the direction they've taken lately, these occasional mishaps are so tonedeaf that you have to be seriously detached from your game on some level to have ever thought otherwise. As such, they damage player trust every time they see the light of day and show some serious issues somewhere in the pipeline that are undoubtedly hamstringing any effort to rework the game's core issues.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy poo poo Billy is oppressive now. The turns he can make are insane. And his recovery is absurd. It's like he has 8 stacks of STBFL on his chainsaw.

Edit: Also, it's gonna be miserable until they nerf the Grim Embrace/Dead Man's Switch combo.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Someone is chainsawing down a tree in my neighborhood, and it’s giving me anxiety

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pants Donkey posted:

Someone is chainsawing down a tree in my neighborhood, and it’s giving me anxiety

Only option is to go over there and shine a flashlight in their eyes

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

The dropped still-running chainsaw hits Pants Donkey, mortally wounding them.

"OP... <cough><cough> bullshit"

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Relyssa posted:

I'm still bummed that VHS completely biffed it.

It almost seems that doing a balanced 4v1 is really hard.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Tormented posted:

It almost seems that doing a balanced 4v1 is really hard.

I think you can't balance a 4v1 where you have to go head to head as the objective properly.

I think you can balance any number vs any number so long as both sides have their own objectives to complete with the chases/killing being a part of objective fuckery as opposed to the point itself. That allows you to move the balance goalposts around using things you can control like gen speed values and a hypothetical killer objective value (say, close the gates forever, an instant win for the killer) and have the player skill expression manifest in controlling said values through winning or losing chases.

For DBD this means that either players never die, the game instead being balanced for an always 4 v 1 with the killer having their own objective, or tying gens to players. Each player may only complete 1.25 gens before they can't do gens anymore, and when a player dies if they still have gen juice it gets distributed to the remaining players who get it and the speed bonus for the duration of the extra percentage. The killer ALSO gets this boost for THEIR objective to maintain the balance. This also sidesteps the tedious aspects of both being in a 2v1 with 3 gens to go and know you're eventually hosed AND the come chase me to the gate behaviors which are the shittiest parts of losing as either side (knowing you can do nothing to win but being forced to play forward anyways)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean Friday the 13th pulled the balance off better than DBD and that was a 1v8 game

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DBD’s granddaddy, Splinter Cell multiplayer, was 2v2 and had respawns so maybe it was on to something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1754550898720686185?s=20

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm so tired of new billy and long for him to be nerfed back into the ground. I genuinely have more fun against Nurse and Blight at this point.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

I'm so tired of new billy and long for him to be nerfed back into the ground. I genuinely have more fun against Nurse and Blight at this point.

What you don't like tunnelling/proxying?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

I don't! Especially not when anti-tunnel perks are a complete joke that barely do anything about it. Also he doesn't even have to proxy. He can be on the opposite end of the map and still get back nanoseconds after an unhook.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile any tiny mouse movement I make with Billy while charging the game treats like I'm trying to do a 475 degree flick (can't be my mouse sensitivity, I've never messed with it)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile any tiny mouse movement I make with Billy while charging the game treats like I'm trying to do a 475 degree flick (can't be my mouse sensitivity, I've never messed with it)

Don't touch your mouse when using Billy's rush, instead bind q and e to turn left and turn right

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Most of the new billys I've seen haven't figured out the addon combo yet so they're fairly normal matches, but to date, every single billy who's used the combo has gotten a 4K while tunneling straight off the hook. I'm even using DS and DH, but it means little since he can erase any distance you get so easily.

I'm glad Billy isn't poo poo anymore but they really need to nerf to cooldown on miss. The tunneling off hook sucks but what makes it feel so lovely is that there's literally nothing you can do about it, there's no way to outplay it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/GraveDBD/status/1754941284069081235?s=20

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

quote:

Dead by Daylight Lights Out starts tomorrow.

Here is How It Works:

The mode has a dark world filter that greatly reduces the visibility for all Players by lowering the brightness of the lighting on the Map.

Players can't use perks, items, or offerings.

However, Survivors are allowed to equip and use any Item that they find in a chest. Keys will not spawn.

The number of chests are increased from 3 to 8 and it will only spawn rare items (green, purple, and red)

No HUD. No aura. No scratch marks. No terror radius.

Lights Out is only playable on 4 selected Maps, one of which will be chosen at random:

Mount Ormond Resort

Treatment Theatre

Family Residence

The Shattered Square

Without Killer info perks and Survivor scratch marks this could get drawn out and tedious. I'll still give it a shot, but I'm worried this will be the week of John Travolta is Lost meme.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Exactly as I feared. Dredge's nightfall is impossible to play against for me since my eyes are too poo poo to see anything even if I do try to use a filter or other out of game assistance. An entire game mode of this sounds like my personal hell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Play Dredge and make it darker

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Play Dredge and make it darker

last time i tried to play dredge i got zero hooks lmao

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Meanwhile I love Dredge but had to stop playing him because it was so frustrating how incredibly map dependent he is

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah there's something extremely hosed up with Billy's charge controls. It feels like he's pulling strongly to one side (not the same side every time) and it sucks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watching Otz play the new game mode and..This really looks silly in not a good way lol.

Having no gen or healing status bar is just...What does this add really?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Watching Otz play the new game mode and..This really looks silly in not a good way lol.

Having no gen or healing status bar is just...What does this add really?

The cope is already in full swing. People are upset about the new game mode, and other people are yelling at them for expecting too much and always picking holes in everything.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I am SHOCKED that the new game mode is bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So wait, in this new game mode red scratches completely disappear, but the killer's red stain is still present along with the terror radius and lullabies? I mean I shouldn't be surprised but it's pretty BHVR that "the spooky suspense mode of terror and scary spookiness" ends up being harder only for the killer.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So wait, in this new game mode red scratches completely disappear, but the killer's red stain is still present along with the terror radius and lullabies? I mean I shouldn't be surprised but it's pretty BHVR that "the spooky suspense mode of terror and scary spookiness" ends up being harder only for the killer.

Yup. And as usual, SWF removes all hindrance whatsoever because they can just call everything out.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The description says there shouldn't be a terror radius.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's no terror radius or auras allowed either. Lullabies I have a feeling are still there.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Red stain being there kinda defeats the point though since it's so much more visible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's good for BHVR to get off their duffs and try new modes but they really need to put a good foot forward on it. Botching the least work-intensive option is some real "we allowed one real dev and some interns from the forced content machine to work on this for a week" energy.

Ideally they can make multiple modes and not dilute the player base by putting them in a rotation with some enhanced one time(for that week/weeks/month) rewards. Real basic engagement driving and fun spice stuff that every other multiplayer game in the world has figured out for over a decade.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

Lullabies I have a feeling are still there.

I don't think they are, but I'm not sure. The little I've watched there are even certain killers not allowed to play in it (Doctor is one of them, Freddy another)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

also lmao that they disabled Freddy instead of attempting anything even approaching a solution for it

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm stuck at work so I can't watch, but here's otz streaming it for anyone interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/Otzdarva

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Comfortador posted:

I don't think they are, but I'm not sure. The little I've watched there are even certain killers not allowed to play in it (Doctor is one of them, Freddy another)

Watching Otz and ironically poor Dredge is just effed in this mode because he doesn't get his Nightfall visibility AND survivors can hear him coming from a naval league away.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Comfortador posted:

Doc is allowed. Freddy is the only killer disabled for this mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's a temporary 7 day Tome with banners and charms for those of you that care about that stuff.