Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

I can only assume you have given up arguing your point because you know it cannot be defended. That is why you are attempting to change the subject.

From what I can tell you're literally impossible to argue with because you fail to engage with anything anyone actually says, and that seems to be what other people here have settled on. Putting aside whether or not you're correct, nobody will do A Debate with you simply because you've made it repeatedly and abundantly clear you won't follow or acknowledge the general rules of debate, so instead people will just take potshots at you as they drive by.

tl;dr: nobody wants to duel you, so they shoot at you while they drive past.

You confusing those potshots as actual fuel for debate and demanding they debate you just signals to everyone that you're a reddit debatebro rather than an actual opponent and encourages more potshots.

Learn to let things go, like everyone else.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The onus is not on me to “just let things go” when Atticus responds to every post I make with some lovely little insult.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
the difference is atticus' posts are funny

edit: also atticus started the discussion in good faith

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

the difference is atticus' posts are funny

edit: also atticus started the discussion in good faith

So did I! And I stayed in good faith! Up until that last post where I said he had given up defending his position, because I was hoping that would just put an end to the conversation b

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
nah

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

The onus is not on me to “just let things go” when Atticus responds to every post I make with some lovely little insult.

if its making GBS threads up the thread then i dont think anyone here gives a flying gently caress "who started it". atticus isn't preventing you from being an adult here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed this all started because you decided to nitpick an anodyne post Atticus made about why it's a bad idea to use the wrong size screws and dowels when constructing IKEA furniture. And when they realized you were trying to turn it into a debate to try to score points off of, they did the natural thing by disengaging except to passive aggressively call you an rear end in a top hat.

And for what it's worth I agree with Atticus right now.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Smoke bomb distraction opinion: Math is grunt work.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

opinion: bosses that have attacks that kill you in one hit are less infuriating to fight against than bosses whose moves just chain into each other one after another. this is because i have no expectation that *i* will be able to beat the boss with a single strike, but i *could* chain together a sick series of combos. who's the player here, Black Dragon Kalameet or me???

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Math is grunt work. It's also a fine thing to be good at but our current culture where math ability is juuuust about the only thing that colloquially counts as intelligence is deeply harmful to our ability to function as a society.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I'm gonna say my piece and then drop it.

I was not being disingenuous, and I certainly wasn't trying to "score points". I was just chatting and having fun in the thread like normal. So I hope you can understand why I got upset when Atticus suddenly started coming at me with, from my perspective, completely unprovoked hurtful comments. And I tried to stay civil. I didn't want to let his insults just go unchallenged but I didn't respond with insults back, I tried to keep talking about the topic at hand. The first post I made in response to Atticus that wasn't completely genuine was the last one, where I said he had realized his position was unsupportable. That was a joke. Not a great joke, but at that point it had been going on for awhile and nobody was taking my side and people were supporting Atticus in his insults, and that felt pretty lovely. So I just wanted to put a button on the discussion and end it there. But it kept going.

I like this thread. I have a lot of unusual opinions and I like to have a place where I can just say them without context. But now it turns out a lot of people here think I'm some kind of malicious troll, saying stuff specifically to rile people up or "score points". That's not true at all, I try to interact with this thread as genuinely as possible. I thought that was the point of it, a place where you can say weird poo poo you know not a lot of people agree with. But what the gently caress am I supposed to do? I thought I was posting genuinely before and that got read as sarcasm or trolling, so how can I possibly convince anyone that I really am genuine?

This just really sucks.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
maybe you should grip.... some weed

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
shut the gently caress up and post some minor gripes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
my gripe is that a mod yelled at me, I don't like it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There are too many songs about love. We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work, or being anxious for no reason

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

thetoughestbean posted:

We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work

Posting My Favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExxIxXpSmg

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

:hmmyes:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nameless Pete posted:

Seconding this. People who say " Math is Everything". No, it's not. It's just the way you've decided to assign value to and describe the world.

Shakuntala Devi posted:

Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.

Like this. She was massively talented at Math, so that's the lens she looks through. But there's tons of things we can do without Math.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

thetoughestbean posted:

There are too many songs about love. We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work, or being anxious for no reason

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It is actually very enjoyable to eat tomatoes like Denethor. Not just popping a whole little tomato in your mouth but actually biting into it so it bursts and the seeds explode out and you have to slurp them up. It looks appalling but he was absolutely onto a winner and you can get away with doing that sort of thing in public if you're a king I guess.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

thetoughestbean posted:

There are too many songs about love. We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work
Very first thing that popped in my head reading that too!

thetoughestbean posted:

or being anxious for no reason
And for the other one: https://youtu.be/GbmP2c6TGKc?si=2hRNMqmdnL09PZSn

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

thetoughestbean posted:

One of my favourite songs about the feeling of escaping your day-to-day drudgery and getting a dopamine fix through karaoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJ8vJl-a7Y

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

It is actually very enjoyable to eat tomatoes like Denethor. Not just popping a whole little tomato in your mouth but actually biting into it so it bursts and the seeds explode out and you have to slurp them up. It looks appalling but he was absolutely onto a winner and you can get away with doing that sort of thing in public if you're a king I guess.

Denethor was not the King!!! :argh:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh man here's one of my old favorites!

https://youtu.be/BGQmmDEDYiI?si=RZhpj_86Yf2uPn2C

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Denethor was not the King!!! :argh:

The guy who gets to rule the country because his dad ruled the country until he died is the king, even if he says he's not.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

My milquetoast opinion is that people are born either mathemagicians (grasp it intuitively) or mathetechnicians (can plug stuff into a formula if it is all slowly explained to them) and the high school experience would be better if this was explained to students. I'm the latter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Math would also be infinitely better to learn if they ever taught you any practical applications of it in math class. Any time someone asked one of my math teachers "but why would I ever want to know this," they just gave them a blank stare. Teach me math in the context of leaving a tip, or tax brackets, or dice odds, or building something, or loving calculating gas mileage or whatever.

I guess this is how we got questions about "if one train is leaving Boston at X speed and another is leaving Washington at Y speed, when will they pass each other." Just use actual situations, folks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

all of my math teachers were somehow more miserable teaching it than I was learning it, and I didn't even learn it really

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I always hated the word problems about shop owners that were completely detached from the actual cost of goods. Trudy is not selling that many apples at $10 apiece, she's clearly cooking the books.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What broke me on math early is having to annotate the word problems and show all work. gently caress you teach, I got the answer didn’t I?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a story problem about appreciation that was like "The Dutch bought Manhattan from natives for $64. But what if the Indians invested their money?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What broke me on math early is having to annotate the word problems and show all work. gently caress you teach, I got the answer didn’t I?

Getting the answer doesn't demonstrate that you understood the process since you could have guessed or made errors that cancel each other out.

On top of that being able to justify your reasoning is a skill in maths in its own right. It really comes into its own with proofs but even aside from that it's critical to be able to do it to help find errors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fundamentally, knowing math is about knowing the process and when they ask you to show your work that's what you're being asked to prove.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Primary school maths here is starting to put more emphasis on being able to justify your answer and it's a good change.

PHUO: the average adult should know their times tables up to 10x10.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Primary school maths here is starting to put more emphasis on being able to justify your answer and it's a good change.

PHUO: the average adult should know their times tables up to 10x10.

They don’t? That’s elementary school stuff

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

They don’t? That’s elementary school stuff

Yeah and lots of people forget (or never learn properly in the first place).

I'm not saying it needs to be taught by rote memorisation or that one method works for everyone or that there aren't people who are always going to struggle with it, just that it's a basic skill that too many people lack.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Feb 4, 2024

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I don't use a lot of math in my daily life now but when I was in high school I didn't know what I'd be doing now

so is "you might not ever need to know this but you don't know what you're going to do so you may indeed use this a lot" a bad reason for teaching something

I also don't think learning something just for the sake of learning is a bad thing even if I don't need to know the pythagereon theorem to survive in life

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The reason I always laugh at now is "You won't always have a calculator with you!"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah and lots of people forget (or never learn properly in the first place).

I'm not saying it needs to be taught by rote memorisation or that one method works for everyone or that there aren't people who are always going to struggle with it, just that it's a basic skill that too many people lack.

When I was in jail, the lady in charge of the library (she looked like Dora the Explorer and was called Dora the Destroyer because she would take away books, take away classes, take away art supplies, basically anything that could enrich us in any way) and she once asked me what something times ten was. I don't remember the number, she said something like, "What's six time ten?"

And I responded, "What?"

She squinted at me for a few seconds, then it came to her. "Ah, sixty. Nevermind."

She went on to be the education director for a federal correctional institution in Arizona :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Khizan posted:

The reason I always laugh at now is "You won't always have a calculator with you!"

Why do I need writing or art classes when there's chatgpt/midjourney? - kids in schools right now