Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

I appreciate that Adric is young and a interesting voice but often his voice is "Look I'm going to do what is going to keep me alive.. gently caress these other people." Its refreshing that his companion is basically a coward who puts his safety first.

That's a consequence of behind the scenes stuff, in that JNT decided to introduce a new companion after the early drafts of some of the stories (most notably State of Decay) were complete. This meant that the authors had to add in something for Adric to do post hoc, and the easiest thing to do in that case was have him do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

When I was a kid I knew another kid who was an even bigger Who nerd that I was (goddamn), and I remember one of the most satisfying things was stumping him on a "quiz" where I asked what the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, because he of course answered the Daleks and I smugly explained that they were the DOCTOR'S greatest enemy, but the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, of course, Space Vampires :smug:

God, I was (am) such a loving dork. :)

On my differential equations final, the professor had a question about launching a space ship from Gallifrey. I started my answer with something like "This question is invalid as the Time Lords dismantled all of their spacecraft after defeating the Space Vampires." Yes, obviously I still answered it.

Also, I got an A in that course, but they didn't give me a blue star in mathematics. :argh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, gonna throw it out there but the DW vampires go loving hard -- though, yeah, it's because their book lore was very tight and heavily reworked by the all stars from the range. Paul Cornell, Larry Miles, OrmanBlum (Kate Orman, Jonathan Blum), Simon Bucher Jones, Kelly Hale, Phillip Purser Hallard... pretty much the majority of the hardcore concept writers and a few of the best prose stylists.

They went from being a race of draculas to an invasion by an Nth-dimensional cosmic horror entity who extruded limbs into our universe in the form of the vampire's curse, with its true form being a "cancerous form of space time". That's loving cool (and also makes more sense of why the Timelords would be so threatened).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

On my differential equations final, the professor had a question about launching a space ship from Gallifrey. I started my answer with something like "This question is invalid as the Time Lords dismantled all of their spacecraft after defeating the Space Vampires." Yes, obviously I still answered it.

Also, I got an A in that course, but they didn't give me a blue star in mathematics. :argh:

Bet that professor started sweating know that their academic position was in jeopardy unless they sabotaged you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, gonna throw it out there but the DW vampires go loving hard -- though, yeah, it's because their book lore was very tight and heavily reworked by the all stars from the range. Paul Cornell, Larry Miles, OrmanBlum (Kate Orman, Jonathan Blum), Simon Bucher Jones, Kelly Hale, Phillip Purser Hallard... pretty much the majority of the hardcore concept writers and a few of the best prose stylists.

They went from being a race of draculas to an invasion by an Nth-dimensional cosmic horror entity who extruded limbs into our universe in the form of the vampire's curse, with its true form being a "cancerous form of space time". That's loving cool (and also makes more sense of why the Timelords would be so threatened).

That's a very interesting way to explore the idea, but have you considered:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 4, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Season 18 is especially long for a season. I was expecting to get to Logopolis or whatever but there's this whole other serial after E Space Trilogy. That's surprising.

Will have to finish the season tomorrow.

I think I am just gonna roll right into the next Doctor. I may go back and watch Pertwee.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Season 18 is especially long for a season. I was expecting to get to Logopolis or whatever but there's this whole other serial after E Space Trilogy. That's surprising.

Will have to finish the season tomorrow.

I think I am just gonna roll right into the next Doctor. I may go back and watch Pertwee.

Keeper of Traken leads right into Logopolis which leads right into Castrovalva. I actually think it's to the last story's detriment since it feels kind of like a re-hash if you're watching straight through though there was a year between Logopolis and Castrovalva when they were broadcast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That run, plus maybe the next two stories are wild. Just absolute gonzo stuff, which never really goes away under Davison but definitely becomes less pronounced as the series becomes more Sawardian.

They're all 80s as hell though, there's something wild and electric about even the basic TARDIS crews of that era that make everything extra alien. And even the most dull, straightforwardly dour nonsense like Warriors Of The Deep has that lady doing space karate.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

the DW vampires go loving hard

They most certainly do, they even have the most OG vampire of them all on their side :drac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQOEXJosSWY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Big Finish but it’s funny how they kinda hinge on the premise of “hey what if the Doctor cheated on his companions when they weren’t looking?”

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love Big Finish but it’s funny how they kinda hinge on the premise of “hey what if the Doctor cheated on his companions when they weren’t looking?”

There's an arc of Seven stories (largely recorded when McCoy was triple-booked making The Hobbit) about two groups of 7's companions discovering he was two-timing them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

There's an arc of Seven stories (largely recorded when McCoy was triple-booked making The Hobbit) about two groups of 7's companions discovering he was two-timing them.

One of which is "What if Ace and Hex got trapped in an endless loop of When the Wind Blows" which is very high concept for later Big Finish.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

Made me look into this to see if I'd listen to them and, of course it's protect and serve / black and white.

Shame they weren't, Yknow, good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Made me look into this to see if I'd listen to them and, of course it's protect and serve / black and white.

Shame they weren't, Yknow, good.

House of Blue Fire has a few good moments, but also there's plenty of McCoy in that one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A major problem with that era of 7 stories is that the actual finale they were building towards, Fifty-Fifty, never got made. Fifty-Fifty was the planned finale by the guy who wrote Death in the Family. It would have revealed that all the Old Gods were breaking into the universe because something was moving very fast, breaking holes in space and time.

That "something" was the Eighth Doctor's TARDIS, breaking all the laws of time to cross his own timeline in the hopes of stopping Seven from going too far and becoming a total Machiavellian monster.

It looks like some of those ideas are making their way into The Last Day, but The Last Day is not getting good reviews.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It looks like some of those ideas are making their way into The Last Day, but The Last Day is not getting good reviews.

Yea, it's a mess so far. I loved the character interactions, but boy do I have no idea what's going on plot wise. This is what I surmise:

Alternate 7 / Ace have become lord of the universe/president of earth respectively. "Our" 7/Ace are trying to stop them, all the while "evil 7" is aware of this. So I'm sure there is some typical 7 twist coming where they're both in it together and its a grand plan yada yada yada...But they spend all the time in the first set "building the team" which is just Ace showing up and saying "Hey, you vaguely remember stuff -- lets go save the universe" (or Benny in Mel's case). This consists of The Master, Ice World guy, the frog from black/white(iirc), and a couple others I don't recall. Meanwhile, Hex is married to another returning character (Sally? iirc) who is a big whig in the Earth military. For some reason, evil Ace has now hired the Sontarens to 'guard' Earth and they show up and murder Sally.

There was probably some other stuff, but that's what I can remember off hand. It's absolutely lazy writing all over and it hurts, because the actors are all REALLY trying although not understanding the context (imo)

Kind of a Time Lord Victorious type thing, but done even more sloppily (to be fair it's having to act as a "finale" for McCoy involving all of his main recurring characters, so I'm not sure how one could get this to gel).

I really wish they'd integrated more of the concept you detailed, because I love the idea of another incarnation showing up to stop his dumb plans. And it makes perfect sense that it'd be 8, I know I remember him complaining about his previous incarnation's machiavellian schemes at least once.

I guess I'll try to finish some more of Minuet today. I cheated and started Live 34 again yesterday, so I will probably be using it as a regular cleanser.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Live 34 might be in the top 10 BFs of all time. And in a very casual way, it doesn't feel like it's trying to be amazing, it just rules.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Live 34 might be in the top 10 BFs of all time. And in a very casual way, it doesn't feel like it's trying to be amazing, it just rules.

I just thought as I began my re-listen, "Huh, it's amazing restraint on Big Fiish's part to not have had another 'newscast' style series or even episode based off the acclaim of this one". They seem to love when they hit on a brilliant concept...love it so much they drag every inch of life out of it before they're done. But not with that format! And it's *awesome*, I've always enjoyed faux news programs (even terrible ones like that Confederate States one from back in the 00s which got its basic history wrong from the get-go still have artistic merit)and it seems to never have hit on as a popular genre.

Wanted to post again anyway, because I meant to yesterday - Been also listening to episodes of the 11th Chronicles series with Valerie Lockwood. We already touched on how good it is, such a perfect casting of Jacob/Sasha chemistry wise, not to mention how well it mimics the 'vibe' of the 11 seasons...but I digress, I wanted to particularly call out their episode for just sheer balls and deserving of applause.

The box finale from Volume 5:

Big Finish posted:

5.3 Sins of the Flesh by Alfie Shaw
Is your child exhibiting sinful behaviour? Have they set themselves on the road of eternal damnation? Has everything you tried failed? Feel like you’re out of options?

Don't worry. We can help. Bring them to the Rebirth Organisation today. Bring them to be converted.

Maybe it's the fact that I am American and in the midwest - we have a ton of "pray the gay away" type things going on here. But seeing Doctor Who via BF come out against it specifically/tying it in to [spoiler]obviously Cybermen, they said 'converted' cmon [/spoier] is amazing and I love it so far. It may not stick the landing, who knows, but this series has not let me down so far and I look forward to finishing it later today. These existing in ~60 min chunks just like the TV (ish) is great for the narrative flow matching the show, but also for just being a nice compact listen compared to most other offerings.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like Tom Bakers Doctor Who Tardis because you get to see a lot of it. Like its kind of cool that Romana has her own room and there's a swimming pool. I don't recall the other new Who Doctors really exploring the rooms of the Tardis.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'd love to see a Heaven Sent-quality episode about the Doctor wandering through the TARDIS between their adventures without a companion, just musing to themselves about whatever

Maybe even have ghostly echoes of Doctors past they talk/react to, or silently reminisce about those they lost

Imagine Eight wandering the corridors, finally catching up on his knitting after Bi-regenerating

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I liked that brief shot of the dressing room you see at the start of 10's run.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hollismason posted:

I like Tom Bakers Doctor Who Tardis because you get to see a lot of it. Like its kind of cool that Romana has her own room and there's a swimming pool. I don't recall the other new Who Doctors really exploring the rooms of the Tardis.

There's a few scenes of that sort of thing during Davison's run too, where they show off various parts of the TARDIS interior (especially during his very first episode).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so I'm finishing up Tom Bakers 4th Doctor Who watch having never seen any of it before. There are some stand out episodes for me City of Death, The Brain of Morbius being probably my favorites. Logopolis is a really good send off for him and a return of the Master.

Anyway I may just take a break from Doctor Who for a bit before rolling into Davisons run although I'm very tempted to skip back to Pertwee's run and watch that.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've been lurking here for awhile and the discussion of best episodes comes up a bunch and there's been a few popular choices, but shockingly not one mention of Vincent and The Doctor.

Not only would I vote this my favorite episode of Matt Smith's era but also of NuWho entirely. It's such a good portrayal of the reality (and difficulty) of depression, and just a great monster adventure overall. Is there a reason this guy never gets mentioned?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McSpankWich posted:

I've been lurking here for awhile and the discussion of best episodes comes up a bunch and there's been a few popular choices, but shockingly not one mention of Vincent and The Doctor.

Not only would I vote this my favorite episode of Matt Smith's era but also of NuWho entirely. It's such a good portrayal of the reality (and difficulty) of depression, and just a great monster adventure overall. Is there a reason this guy never gets mentioned?

Can't speak for anyone else but I find most of what Richard Curtis writes to be schmaltzy tripe. I'm glad it worked for you, I personally found it to be too... Emotionally manipulative to actually work for me. Plus the monster stuff really doesn't need to be there in order for it to do what it's going for and felt incredibly tacked on to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McSpankWich posted:

10/10 episode, one of my favourites.

McGann
May 19, 2003

McGann posted:

The box finale from Volume 5:

Yep did a decent job with the landing. I was worried as one should be with lgbtq themes but it was all handled quite respectively I thought if not a bit heavy-handed at points.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Finish has been on a decent kick with over queer inclusion and social themes lately but they have a big problem: their audience. It's sort of like what dragged down large parts of the Young Justice revival. A large portion of their audience is either in desperate need of 101 education or is predisposed to be actively hostile to queer themes. The result is that is that explorations of those themes end up slow rolled or feel obvious and plotting to already-receptive audiences because they have to accommodate more retrograde portions of the listener-base.

Sometimes this works out anyway. For all the issues the Perfection arc had, I thought that the Doctor's conflicted feelings about how it all shook out, vs. Mel and especially Hebe's more experientially-informed sense of "good riddance", felt broadly appropriate. But BF only cut loose its active transphobe collaborators a couple years ago so there's absolutely still a clumsy trend, especially in their 4-5-6-7 stuff that's most appealing to boomers. I understand that their Torchwood and New Series material is much less trepidatious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There's a few scenes of that sort of thing during Davison's run too, where they show off various parts of the TARDIS interior (especially during his very first episode).

We see the companion's bedrooms fairly often during Davison.

Hollismason posted:

Anyway I may just take a break from Doctor Who for a bit before rolling into Davisons run although I'm very tempted to skip back to Pertwee's run and watch that.

I'll repeat myself because it's going to be a very important message as you roll into 80's Who: it's okay to walk away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I finishing at least the next part of the first season of Davison. Castlestrava or whatever just to see the new story.

edit:

Okay finished the first serial of the fifth Doctor and honestly it wasn't too bad. Be interesting to see how he acts when he's not going through regeneration or whatever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 5, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Boy you are just plowing through these.

Glancing at Davison's stories for a minute, I think the signal-to-noise ratio is probably about the same as later Tom Baker, it's just that when a story is bad, it's really bad.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Random Stranger posted:

I'll repeat myself because it's going to be a very important message as you roll into 80's Who: it's okay to walk away.

On that note, I decided to give The Mark of the Rani a spin tonight, and...I really quite enjoyed it! I haven't seen it in forever, and while Pip & Jane Baker get a lot of poo poo (and rightfully so) for their at times workmanlike scripts, I didn't think this was a bad story at all. Though, I may just have a soft spot for it as it's the first Sixth Doctor story I'd ever watched. It was also particularly special as a group of us who'd met at the local comics shop had arranged to get together to meet up and watch it at a local fast food place (not a chain one like McDonald's, but one that was owned locally), as the owner was also a Whovian. And the guy who'd gotten the episode had a friend in the UK who'd recorded it when it aired on BBC1, and then converted it from PAL to NTSC and shipped it over, so we got to see it with globe ident and all (which got a big cheer as a bunch of us were also Monty Python fans, so we were familiar with it from that). So even though it's not the greatest outing for Six and Peri, I still have some fond memories of it.

Now I'm going to watch Timelash, purely for Paul Darrow giving even less fucks than Avon ever did. :rip:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 5, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mark of the Rani is wild. Rape tree! Tree bomb! Volcano! T Rex!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That lecherous loving tree :mad:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I honestly don't mind Pip and Jane and I think people overhype how much of a bad thing they were for the show.

Terror of the Vervoids is exactly as old school and unchallenging as Chris Chibnall accused it of being, but that's fine - in an era desperately short of good stories, putting in a script that's a passing C grade is raising the average appreciably. Mark of the Rani is a mess, but I appreciate the lighter tone it took in comparison with most of the rest of season 22. The one episode of The Ultimate Foe they wrote was awful, but they were working under circumstances where it would be literally impossible for anyone to do any better. Time and the Rani isn't very representative of the rest of the Seventh Doctor's run but, again, that kind of makes it worth it for the contrast, and if you don't like the Rani impersonating Mel or reacting to the Doctor figuring out a new outfit then you basically don't like fun.

I'd never put them at the top of the list but of all the stuff to complain about in the Sixth Doctor years, Pip and Jane is pretty low on the list. And they might have done better with a script editor who wasn't stewing in resentment of having to work with them, refusing to give Colin Baker a chance (and possibly sabotaging him on purpose), and in revolt against the producer's vision for the show.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ah man, Michael Jayston has died. He's been many things but he'll always be the Valeyard to me. Well, and Colonel Mustard in Cluedo.

Warthur posted:

I honestly don't mind Pip and Jane and I think people overhype how much of a bad thing they were for the show.

Terror of the Vervoids is exactly as old school and unchallenging as Chris Chibnall accused it of being, but that's fine - in an era desperately short of good stories, putting in a script that's a passing C grade is raising the average appreciably. Mark of the Rani is a mess, but I appreciate the lighter tone it took in comparison with most of the rest of season 22. The one episode of The Ultimate Foe they wrote was awful, but they were working under circumstances where it would be literally impossible for anyone to do any better. Time and the Rani isn't very representative of the rest of the Seventh Doctor's run but, again, that kind of makes it worth it for the contrast, and if you don't like the Rani impersonating Mel or reacting to the Doctor figuring out a new outfit then you basically don't like fun.

I'd never put them at the top of the list but of all the stuff to complain about in the Sixth Doctor years, Pip and Jane is pretty low on the list. And they might have done better with a script editor who wasn't stewing in resentment of having to work with them, refusing to give Colin Baker a chance (and possibly sabotaging him on purpose), and in revolt against the producer's vision for the show.

Their main crime is the absurd language choices they made. Some of the speeches characters have to deal with from them bring to mind the (probably apocryphal) statement from Harrison Ford to George Lucas that "you can write this poo poo but you can't SAY it".

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 5, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's remarkable how much of an impact he had considering he was only really on the show (television wise at least) briefly, during a period where the show wasn't considered at its best.

:rip:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's remarkable how much of an impact he had considering he was only really on the show (television wise at least) briefly, during a period where the show wasn't considered at its best.

:rip:

Honestly it's remarkable that the idea of "evil future incarnation" hadn't really come up before the Valeyard, but it spawned a million billion fanfics and you can probably trace a line from it to The Time Lord Victorious. He really was a solid character actor, did exactly what the role needed.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Big Finish has been on a decent kick with over queer inclusion and social themes lately but they have a big problem: their audience.

.... Snip..

I understand that their Torchwood and New Series material is much less trepidatious.

Ah, that checks out. Thank you. And I think you are correct, as their Torchwood line is so much better at it. I can't even recall a Time it was called out of anything outside of normal, and is typically treated as just "a thing" rather than "hey look at this thing!!"

Edit aw man, the valeyard AND Apollo creed hitting me same span? Ouch

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Honestly it's remarkable that the idea of "evil future incarnation" hadn't really come up before the Valeyard, but it spawned a million billion fanfics and you can probably trace a line from it to The Time Lord Victorious. He really was a solid character actor, did exactly what the role needed.

For a show about traveling in time, classic Who wasn't very concerned with exploring the possibilities of that. I can only think of a half dozen or so classic stories that actually took advantage of the main character having a time machine. It was fandom that picked up on it, which is probably why it started showing up in various stories a lot more once fans took over the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jerusalem posted:

That lecherous loving tree :mad:

That's one other good thing about TMotR: Nicola Bryant was actually able to wear something while on location that didn't cause her to suffer hypothermia, pneumonia, etc.