Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

What is the most OP weapon for the soldier? Which modifiers should I put on it?

I liked the Mattock or Raptor on Soldier, but why are you not Vanguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright i'm ready for next fest. i've maxed out the Deck's space already from installing demos lol. the harold halibut demo is loving 54GB so I'm going to hold off on that one for a few days

i'm prepped to look at:

Awita: Journey of Hope
Blud
Chicken Police 2: Into the Hive
Children of the Sun
Crypt Custodian
Devil's Hideout
Duck Detective
Fate/Samurai Remnant
Harold Halibut
Islands of Insight
Kill It With Fire 2
Madzik
Magical Delicacy
Marron's Day
MindCop
Mullet Madjack
Pampas & Selene: The Maze of Demons (please let this be more like Ghost 1.0 and less like UnEpic)
Pepper Grinder
Scars of Mars
Summer at the Edge of the Universe
Superstar Strategy
Sword of Convallaria
The Hidden Art of Innkeeping (sequel to an underrated rpgmaker game I quite enjoyed from finding it in an itch.io megabundle back in 2020)
The Puzzle Maker: Cebba's Odyssey
Tiny Terry's Turbo Trip

of course even more demos will be going live over the weekend, and then a bunch of demos that are currently hidden will reveal themselves on monday

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I liked the Mattock or Raptor on Soldier, but why are you not Vanguard

I mashed Human Male Soldier because I wanted to get it over with, but now I'm invested.

I guess you can't pick which weapons you buy, you have to get lucky with loot crates? Doesn't matter that much, it seems you can get +4% overall Galactic Readiness from finishing a match with an unknown map and unknown enemies, even on the lowest difficulty. I'm just going to let the others carry me. I don't feel too bad about it, since they've probably been playing for years and I just started today

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Looking at stuff for NextFest and here's a bunch of stuff vaguely churning and bubbling in the Steam cauldrons that's not ready for primetime just yet but might be worth keeping an eye on for the future?

Every Day We Fight looks like "XCOM, but you got caught in a time-loop." Truth be told, I don't really see what sets these guys apart beyond some vague claims of "real time exploration" and "positioning mattering", but it's not really my wheelhouse of a game genre and apparently some people really trust Hooded Horse as a publisher so there you go. Releases sometime in 2024.

Goons: Legends & Mayhem looks like somebody decided to get even wackier with the premise of Tape to Tape, abandoning the roguelike aspect in exchange for making it more arcade-y. Coming "soon", but the devs did just put out a playtest video.

Worship is Cult of the Lamb but you're actually using your followers as part of the core gameplay feature like Pikmin. Co-op looks like you might as well be playing Magicka instead given how much stupid nonsense you're all going to be throwing around the screen. Coming soon, with even less information than Goons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I mashed Human Male Soldier because I wanted to get it over with, but now I'm invested.

I guess you can't pick which weapons you buy, you have to get lucky with loot crates? Doesn't matter that much, it seems you can get +4% overall Galactic Readiness from finishing a match with an unknown map and unknown enemies, even on the lowest difficulty. I'm just going to let the others carry me. I don't feel too bad about it, since they've probably been playing for years and I just started today

It’s worth playing vanguard, it’s some of the most fun you can have in MP. Once you get it leveled a bit, you can just pinball around the map and never fire your gun; your only weakness is enemies who can sync kill you and objectives that require you to stand still. One of the nice things about it is that weapons don’t matter, charging and smashing are all you need (though I think you might have to level them a little before they become truly OP)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s worth playing vanguard, it’s some of the most fun you can have in MP. Once you get it leveled a bit, you can just pinball around the map and never fire your gun; your only weakness is enemies who can sync kill you and objectives that require you to stand still. One of the nice things about it is that weapons don’t matter, charging and smashing are all you need (though I think you might have to level them a little before they become truly OP)

In fact you explicitly want to be carrying as little weaponry as possible. Got to keep weight right down.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Can confirm that vanguard is the most fun class. Constant dashes, smashes and shield regens. It's pure rip and tear

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I am oddly proud that 13 years later my dumb gimmick name Shepard is still helping goons out :cheerdoge:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I played a bunch of the Halo games early last year with the MCC couch coop on Xbox mostly for the first time. My previous experience was lots of Halo 1 local multiplayer back near release and a little bit of 2 and 3 on friend’s systems (never owned the games).

The CE makes 1 and 2 both look pretty good and they were great except some repetitive flood poo poo. We had great time with those and 2 has a fun plot. 3 didn’t get updated so it looks pretty bad and the gameplay/story wasn’t enough to make up for it. I’ve heard big praise for Reach and ODST but they weren’t remastered either and so whatever extra drama they are supposed to bring is undercut by technical shortcomings (to me 360 was a fairly ugly era for games visually that I have no nostalgia for) 4 seemed to have a pretty wonky plot (3 was a clear end) and that Cortana design was lol, but it played and looked okay though by then we were getting pretty tired of the Halo format.

My favorite was two.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last epoch is supposed to hit 1.0 this month, is the release supposed to come with fixes for multiplayer?

what's all the crap they're selling/the "in app purchases" mentioned on the steam page besides the game itself?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

alright i'm ready for next fest. i've maxed out the Deck's space already from installing demos lol. the harold halibut demo is loving 54GB so I'm going to hold off on that one for a few days

i'm prepped to look at:

Scars of Mars
Scars of Mars has a demo now, I had not heard of the game until you mention it, but looks interesting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2574460/Scars_of_Mars/

Edit: Children of the Sun looks pretty neat I have to say, also demo is up now.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 4, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Owl Inspector posted:

Last epoch is supposed to hit 1.0 this month, is the release supposed to come with fixes for multiplayer?

what's all the crap they're selling/the "in app purchases" mentioned on the steam page besides the game itself?

IIRC just cosmetics a la PoE. Stash space is infinite and free.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mullet Mad Jack is not for me, but it'll definitely be for someone. An arcade roguelite shooter with similarities to Post Void, you have 10 seconds to live, and each enemy kill gives you 3 seconds back on the clock. You get a full 10 seconds if you destroy vending machines or do finisher kills with axes/knives you pick up in the level. Obviously, it's very fast and you can kick people into fans and exposed wires. Cool. But, for me, I think it needs something more. Obviously it's stylish as hell, but the level design is very basic, often a one-tile wide corridor. And at the normal difficulty it was pretty trivial to just keep alternating between firing your gun and kicking to speed through each level. The timer also didn't show for most of the demo and I think that might have been a bug.

Children of the Sun, however, is incredible, and backs up its style with proper design. A sniper puzzler where you can essentially fire a Curveable magic bullet, your object in each level is to kill every enemy with a single shot. Whenever your bullet hits one target, time slows down and you can then redirect it, but even while it's in the air you have the ability to change its trajectory (within a 120-130 degree range it seems). Yes, you get points for hitting people in the balls (no there is no x-ray, sorry). This game is cool as poo poo and if the full game sticks the landing, will easily land in my Top 10 of 2024.

Ok so how about just a demo that's pretty good and neat? There's Pampas and Selene: Maze of Demons, the latest game by the developer of Ghost 1.0 (AND NO OTHER GAME). Straying from the farcical tone that mars their other releases, P&S plays things fairly straight but with a light hearted tone. In the same spirit as Mini-Ghost, Maze of Demons is inspired by MSX maze platformers. This is a simpler affair than, say, La Mulana-- you don't need to be big brained or pull up a guide or anything. It's closer to, say, Astalon: Tears of the Earth. That might do it a bit of a bad favor though if people expect the same kind of aesthetic/gameplay, but hopefully that at least gives you some idea. You roam from room to room, switching between characters and swatting at enemies or shooting them from afar, picking up items and quest objectives that have you finding weapons and spirits for various greek gods in exchange for abilties. Each character plays about the same in terms of combat but they do have a couple of differences (Selene, for example, can hold her breath underwater for around 30 seconds, while Pampas can only be underwater for 5). NOTE: The UI has changed since the screenshot above, it's a bit more professional looking now and features a map in the bottom right corner. I think this is pretty nice and pleasant overall and could be a solid lite-Metroidvania experience later this year.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 4, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The 7th Guest posted:

Mullet Mad Jack is not for me, but it'll definitely be for someone. An arcade roguelite shooter with similarities to Post Void, you have 10 seconds to live, and each enemy kill gives you 3 seconds back on the clock. You get a full 10 seconds if you destroy vending machines or do finisher kills with axes/knives you pick up in the level. Obviously, it's very fast and you can kick people into fans and exposed wires. Cool. But, for me, I think it needs something more. Obviously it's stylish as hell, but the level design is very basic, often a one-tile wide corridor. And at the normal difficulty it was pretty trivial to just keep alternating between firing your gun and kicking to speed through each level. The timer also didn't show for most of the demo and I think that might have been a bug.

That looks fuckin dope

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Perestroika posted:

I replayed the entire Halo series in one go a while back, and one of the things that stood out to me the most was the shift in the design of Cortana in Halo 4.

Halos 1 through 3: A witty sarcastic voice in your head, giving you poo poo as often as giving you directions.

Halo 4: A designer going "I want to gently caress that hologram".

4's design for her is weird, but big LOL if you think the earlier ones weren't horny.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

claw game handjob posted:

Kinda not anymore? When it was turbo-broken on launch there was something there to experience, but now it's been patched into "functional and unnecessary". The DLC was canceled and turned into a novel so there's this giant gaping hole in it of "where did half the aliens go*", the plot isn't particularly interesting, and none of the characters are memorable. It's the video game equivalent of so many failed "cinematic universes" that are supposed to be the tease of a bigger jumping off point which will never be referenced again.

* the answer is a black comedy farce incidentally, really mad they didn't make that into playable canon instead of a handwaveable novel
:colbert:
Grandpa Krogan

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

the harold halibut demo is loving 54GB
how in the hell is a demo for a point and click adventure game this huge good lord

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

isn't it all built with photogrammetry scans of physical miniatures, that could easily spiral the asset size if they kept as much detail as possible

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

realistic halibut physics don't come cheap

they've really been floundering for a solution :dadjoke:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 4, 2024

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Awesome! posted:

how in the hell is a demo for a point and click adventure game this huge good lord

The devs addressed this on the Steam forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/924750/discussions/0/4148445959735943397/

Basically it's got all the texture mapping from the full game in there and the full game will take up around 60gb in space. They could have reduced the size of this demo to about 23gb but it would have hosed with the visual fidelity too much so they didn't do it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Alright, might as well get this ball rolling:

Fresh off of Roots of Yggdrasil, I decided to give Planetiles a try. It calls itself a city builder, but this one's pretty obviously all puzzle game, more in line with something like Dorfromantik rather than the Impressions Games lineage or even the roguelike citybuilders. Place down biome tiles on an empty planet in order to complete quests (mostly revolving around placing a specific set of biome tiles either adjacent to one another or locked off from the rest of the board) and get points. The two big shake ups to this are buildings that allow you to modify your tile placement and how reaching a point threshold provides upgrades but also causes some kind of disaster to hit the board.

Planetiles feels easy to play, but difficult to master, though it has a metaprogression system to help in that process. Ultimately it's not for me, but I can see it joining its appropriate niche in the gaming ecosystem without too much of a fuss.

Duel Corp. is a soulslike with an MMO-style hub, two-player co-op/PvP, and procedurally generated missions. It plays exactly how you'd expect it to from being called a soulslike, and the combat is fine, albeit a little bit clunky. There is some kind of overarching story with accompanying missions, but the proc gen kind of leaves the whole thing feeling directionless, although that's the most obvious thing that could be fixed by a full release.

Duel Corp. is an interesting concept, but the things that make it unique also guarantee that it will never really be great. I foresee it releasing to minimal fanfare, and even then the population dropping to 5 guys fighting each other endlessly in PvP a few months post-release.

From the Steam description, I was kind of hoping for Train Valley World to be a worthy successor to the multiplayer train empire games where you build across the entirety of America and seek to grind your rivals into the dirt like Empire Builder or Rails Acro... holy poo poo, when did that get a Steam release?! I've been looking for this thing on a reliable distribution platform for years!

*cough*

Anyways, Train Valley World can sort of be that game in online multiplayer mode, but spends a lot of its time trying to be a more modern version of Railroad Tycoon 2 or Sid Meier's Railroads, both of which are starting to show their age in terms of design choices and CTD-ing on modern operating systems. It also tries to distinguish itself a little by taking a more fantastical approach to the scenarios: mention is made of helping Captain Nemo build his submarine in one mission.

I think Train Valley World mostly accomplishes what it sets out to do, although the game doesn't seem to believe in a gentle onboarding process. After having to manually resize the game to get the demo to properly adapt to my screen, I beat the tutorial and then was immediately dropped into a much larger, full scale scenario where I was immediately lost on what to do. A couple more tutorial levels wouldn't be amiss.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 10, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ripper Swarm posted:

I am oddly proud that 13 years later my dumb gimmick name Shepard is still helping goons out :cheerdoge:

Is it your save, for real? Came in very useful, as soon as I saw 'German Shepard' I knew I had to download it

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

In case anybody is attempting ME3 multiplayer at this point don't forget you can just cheat engine yourself the credits to just buy enough boxes to get all the guns/classes you want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Canopus250 posted:

In case anybody is attempting ME3 multiplayer at this point don't forget you can just cheat engine yourself the credits to just buy enough boxes to get all the guns/classes you want.

Servers are still up for that? I would actually not mind doing that at all with some friends.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Seems that way! I was able to get people into a hosted lobby and find games on gold/silver via quick match just now.

I also still have the 50 million credits I cheated myself however many years ago too

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Canopus250 posted:

Seems that way! I was able to get people into a hosted lobby and find games on gold/silver via quick match just now.

I also still have the 50 million credits I cheated myself however many years ago too

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Definitely going to get the crew together for some of that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, the ME3 multiplayer scene is still active. Played just now, took a while for the first person to join for some reason, but after that I had a full lobby pretty much constantly.

Once again I was prepared to go 'hmm well this isn't too bad', then I found out Galactic Readiness decays over time, what the hell

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Phlegmish posted:

Is it your save, for real? Came in very useful, as soon as I saw 'German Shepard' I knew I had to download it

I double-checked and the original ME1 save is, yeah!

Some goon called Chris then took it through a ME2 playthrough, uploaded that and that's the save file you linked :sicknasty:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
Anyone remember the goon who played through ME2 like 30 times? I’m pretty sure they’re still posting, I just forgot his name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
magimix, I think

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

buglord posted:

Anyone remember the goon who played through ME2 like 30 times? I’m pretty sure they’re still posting, I just forgot his name.

Come to think of it, it was you… drat…

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

4's design for her is weird, but big LOL if you think the earlier ones weren't horny.

yeah the only difference is that in the older games the tech level just isn't there yet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
ME2 isn’t even that long so I don’t think that’s a big deal. There are people here who have put 1000s of hours into games

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Never play more than 20 hours for a computer game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

36.6 hours with inflation

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

kazil posted:

Never play more than 20 hours for a computer game.

uh oh
i have 650 hours on civ5 and 620 on darkest dungeon
last time i played civ5 was in 2013 too

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hwurmp posted:

Never play with inflation.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Runa posted:

yeah the only difference is that in the older games the tech level just isn't there yet

The tech had been available for years

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they meant in-universe; like the tech for the suit that jacks him off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hwurmp posted:

Actually I have less time now than in 1990, so it should be adjusted to 12 hours or such.