Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They ported Dementia: The Ward to Switch?!

Losing my dang mind, played so much on the DS.

I can finally see the textures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Like I know it's not a 'good' game but it was decent for 2007 running on the OG DS

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

They fixed the “forbidden chest” bullshit in FFXII: The Zodiac Age.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Large Testicles posted:

FFXII is the loving worst about that. open a random chest in the first 3 hours of the game? NO YOU DIPSHIT, now you'll miss out on one of the endgame items

e; fixed cause i'm dumb

Wasn't that a thing in Chrono Trigger, as well, where you had to leave several chests alone in the past/present and open them in the future first to get better items, then go back to the past/present and grab the original item?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, but at least the specific chests in CT asked you if you really wanted to open them, whereas most chests you just clicked on them and got an item, as a hint that maybe there was something more to them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got blasphemous 2 on the current sale, it rules

Still have to get the final ending in 1, but turns out I had barely started NG++ so I'm at a perfect position to do it. And maybe get the 3h speedrun achievement but eh.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

100%

I want to play the cool looking Not-Mother 3.
Let me plaaaayyyyyy ittttttttttt.

So its biggest flaw is having too many cinematocs breaking the pacing of gameplay?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
They should make a Switch version of Okamiden so I can actually play it rather than watching the first 20 minutes stutter at 15 fps on the Nintendo DS. Unless the game itself is trash, of course, but the DS version was way too bad to even find out.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, but at least the specific chests in CT asked you if you really wanted to open them, whereas most chests you just clicked on them and got an item, as a hint that maybe there was something more to them.

That only makes it marginally less annoying, but fair point

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Large Testicles posted:

FFXII is the loving worst about that. open a random chest in the first 3 hours of the game? NO YOU DIPSHIT, now you'll miss out on one of the endgame items
Hey now, you could always get another Zodiac Spear, even in the original release, once you unlocked the Henne Mines and went to a hidden room that had a 10% chance to spawn a chest, a 10% chance for the chest to have an item in it, and a 10% chance that the item, if spawned, is the Zodiac Spear. A 0.1% chance to get a weapon that would otherwise be guaranteed is basically the same thing, right? (In the Zodiac Age version, they took away the guaranteed one, but changed the Henne Mines one to always drop if its chest spawned, which is now down to a 1% chance.)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Think they'll ever re-release Hotel Dusk 2 in NA? I wanted to see how Kyle's been but then I got Tingles Rosie Rupee Land instead.

Now that's a hard unituitive game

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh yeah I def dropped Chrono Trigger bc the insane drop rates.

Sorry Akira Toriyama your art can't get me through this BS

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
tell me you eat soy without telling me you eat soy :rolleyes:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

Also, CT is a game about time travel, if you don't at least try timey wimey bullshit at least once, I don't know what to say.

Of course, the game still needed to warn me, or I would've hosed myself over multiple times. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

Also, CT is a game about time travel, if you don't at least try timey wimey bullshit at least once, I don't know what to say.

Of course, the game still needed to warn me, or I would've hosed myself over multiple times. :v:
Yeah, I imagine my line of logic as a kid was something along the lines of what the devs expected people to think: "Hey wait, I remember seeing this chest in the Present, I'm gonna click No and go forward in time and get TWO items" *The Red Vest in the chest upgraded to Red Mail* :aaaaa:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hogama posted:

Hey now, you could always get another Zodiac Spear, even in the original release, once you unlocked the Henne Mines and went to a hidden room that had a 10% chance to spawn a chest, a 10% chance for the chest to have an item in it, and a 10% chance that the item, if spawned, is the Zodiac Spear. A 0.1% chance to get a weapon that would otherwise be guaranteed is basically the same thing, right? (In the Zodiac Age version, they took away the guaranteed one, but changed the Henne Mines one to always drop if its chest spawned, which is now down to a 1% chance.)

So basically, the Zodiac Age version is, in this instance, objectively inferior because they turned "don't open this chest and you're good" to "1% drop rate get hosed"?

Treecko posted:

What items had bad drop rates in CT? I genuinely don't remember having trouble with anything.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Maybe none, I think I got my games crossed up.

They do tend to blur together.

Waiting for Dementium to finish downloading

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kingdom on bikes is on sale, and pretty fun so far, only played about an hour or so.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Treecko posted:

:goofy:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

They’re just mod plants trying to goad Stux into saying something he shouldn’t say.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
im going to blow you away with a loving rocket launc... ahem. a foldable rocking lawn chair. its a gift for you r birthday.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Metal Slug ftw

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

American McGay posted:

Metal Slug ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Metal Slug ftw

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

American McGay posted:

Metal Slug ftw

will that be on sale for 2 bucks soon as well

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think the chests in Chrono Trigger were totally reasonable. I don’t remember specifics but I never hosed it up and I played through that game when I was 9 or 10.

I reminder being aware the chest contents would improve in the future. I mean, heck, it’s a whole rear end game about time traveling and changing things. IMO the chests in CT were cool and good.

The FF12 chests are bull poo poo and I hosed it up when I played the game at release.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Don't think it's currently on sale but Chrono Cross is a perfectly good game so long as you treat any connections it has with Chrono Trigger as more of being Easter Eggs than anything serious and keep in mind that the game had a messy development cycle* so there's a couple places(mostly in the endgame) that are a bit half baked

*though near as I can tell pretty much every PS1 era game Square did had a messy development, which says something that pretty much all of them ended up being more good than bad, also probably a minor miracle that Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 1** seem to have gone a lot smoother as far as I can tell

**still boggles the mind that they couldn't get the Kingdom Hearts collections to work on Switch properly and instead had to use a cloud streaming solution instead, should have just not bothered

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its to save money on having anything on the cart such as tons of fmv. Epic game store edition is almost as bad. Online only and cinematics via streaming. Gj square

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FF6 also has chests that get better when you come back later, I knew about it from Nintendo power. And I know about Chrono triggers, do I kind of have always had a tendency to skip chests in low level areas especially anything I think I'll be going through again

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annath posted:

So basically, the Zodiac Age version is, in this instance, objectively inferior because they turned "don't open this chest and you're good" to "1% drop rate get hosed"?
Well, it's inferior in that sense, especially since you can't do like sneaking into the Necrohol early if you want to cheese the game, but they added several alternate ways to obtain it as well - for the Hunt Club sidequest (late game, have to track 30 rare monsters), if you give 10 trophies to each bangaa brother, you unlock both it and the Zodiac Escutcheon to buy for 999,999 gil. If you instead give 16 trophies to Atak, you get a Zodiac Spear for free. Of course, either option means missing out on other potential rewards (since there are only 30 trophies to divide and rewards go up to giving any particular brother 30). You can also steal one in Trial Mode from stage 62. Also reroll the Henne Mines chest spawn by just leaving the chest area and running back in to the spawn point to check over and over if you just really gotta have it.

They added two even stronger weapons to Zodiac Age but they're in invisible chests that have a low chance to spawn with a low chance to have the weapons in them, lmao.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It makes more sense considering they were meant to be more optional bonuses or incentive to come back to a place later to look for things you missed, but I think it took devs a long time to realise most people don't think to play that way, because games have trained them otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bofast posted:

They should make a Switch version of Okamiden so I can actually play it rather than watching the first 20 minutes stutter at 15 fps on the Nintendo DS. Unless the game itself is trash, of course, but the DS version was way too bad to even find out.

Play it on a 3DS. The extra processing power eliminates the slowdown completely.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Treecko posted:

That's lovely, honey.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Treecko posted:

:dafuq:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Drop rates? Lol I don't think I ever used a single drop in that game, all the good stuff is quest rewards

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

maybe he means the steal rate? cause that can be kinda bullshit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't even remember stealing items being a thing in Chrono trigger, lol. Like at all. And I played it like three years ago.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Ok fine I'll give CT another shot, I know it's good I just don't remember all the details.

I have the day off anyway so I'll have time to focus

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't even remember stealing items being a thing in Chrono trigger, lol. Like at all. And I played it like three years ago.

the only person who can steal is ayla and you can steal some high end items with it later in the game, most have lovely steal rates tho

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
There's actually a lot of good stuff to steal in Chrono Trigger. You can get good weapon upgrades on Mt. Woe, enemies in the Black Omen have good recovery and stat-up items, the boss fight with Queen Zeal you can steal Prism Helms and Prism Dresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do items drop in chrono trigger what the gently caress