Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Jordan is probably gonna die, i mean he's lifting curtains on weapons manufacturers killing people in Papua with experimental missiles from European manufacturers. It's only a matter of time before Icarus flies too close to the sun and finds out that international business empires and organised crime are one and the same as soon as you dissect the racquets they've created to earn money forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Tired: publicising that the former deputy premier immediately became a director of a shady property developer with strong links to organised crime

ok but this time do it in a silly voice and yell a bunch

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mola Yam posted:

hey instead of bike paths can we post about how the state of tasmania should be dissolved (fyi: child sex abuse related):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2024/february/nick-feik/rotten-core#mtr

tl;dr is that the entire policing, justice, health, education and political structure of tasmania is a matryoshka doll of bureaucratic laziness, pride, corruption, and looking after your small town mates, with the smallest russian doll at the centre being rampant institutional child abuse.
gently caress.

Unless you are a victim or a victim support person you owe it to the children of tasmania to force youself to read through that. gently caress knows what you can then do with that information but it will mean you can no longer tell yourself you just didn't know or realise it was going on.

Remember please, what state Grace Tame came from too.

The above makes what I am about to ask seem petty and insignificant but... I am currently involved in dragging a local rural shire out of the grasp of the National Party. A recent SRV process has even enraged the NFF. If anyone has releveant experience in local government policies and administration shoot me a pm. The rest of you in NSW please make a response to https://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/Home/Industries/Local-Government/Review-of-council-financial-model-in-NSW If you are not fully aware both the Federal and State governments have been cost shifting onto local councils. This has made Special Rate Variations routine for most NSW councils. Increasing rates removes money from everyone in a community and is therefore a terrible (non-progressive) tax. Eventually the poorest lose the capacity to pay for their existing housing and become homeless. It is an emerging crisis. Thanks for your time and patience.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
When did the chaser become right wing? They’ve spent a good twenty minutes on their America show talking about how it’s too easy to claim asylum; super predators are coming across illegally; and undocumented migrants are ruining the joint; and their solution is to shut the border and stop processing asylum claims.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

When did the chaser become right wing? They’ve spent a good twenty minutes on their America show talking about how it’s too easy to claim asylum; super predators are coming across illegally; and undocumented migrants are ruining the joint; and their solution is to shut the border and stop processing asylum claims.

In thought that was just Chas Liciardello and John Baron, who's always seemed kind of right wing. Nothing to do with Chaser

Assuming you're taking about Planet America.
It's a pretty bad show

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

EoinCannon posted:

In thought that was just Chas Liciardello and John Baron, who's always seemed kind of right wing. Nothing to do with Chaser

Assuming you're taking about Planet America.
It's a pretty bad show

I don't understand how that show is still going. Chas and John have zero onscreen chemistry and neither of them have much charisma to begin with. It's just awkward to watch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive seen Chas coming out of questionable stand up acts from time to time but I think hes probably just deep in the comedy scene and checking out new (right wing) talent

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I read an essay a decade or more ago in the back of one of their issues or annuals where one of the Chaser guys basically repeated uncritically Roger Bate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bate) talking points on using DDT to combat malaria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Fighting_Malaria

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

fez_machine posted:

I read an essay a decade or more ago in the back of one of their issues or annuals where one of the Chaser guys basically repeated uncritically Roger Bate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bate) talking points on using DDT to combat malaria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Fighting_Malaria

I don't really care about the Chaser (they are still around?) and bit confused about that wiki link but DDT is still in use this day as one of the chemicals used to mitigate malaria (which kills more than 200k children under 5 each year). Generally, the mosquitos have a higher resistance to DDT than the other persistent chemicals and so is not in that year's mix but the resistance of mosquitos to chemicals is changing all the time so some years DDT is the most effective (generally do a mosquito sample and test program ahead of the wet season/twice a year) and therefore the one used for wall spraying that year might include DDT.

There is night and day difference in malaria stats between villages that have a spraying campaign and those that don't.

Of course, just recently there is vaccines being rolled out which will hopefully make an even bigger difference at far less cost but it is still early days for that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
according to the police the opera house crowd were shouting “run the jewels”

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't really care about the Chaser (they are still around?) and bit confused about that wiki link but DDT is still in use this day as one of the chemicals used to mitigate malaria (which kills more than 200k children under 5 each year). Generally, the mosquitos have a higher resistance to DDT than the other persistent chemicals and so is not in that year's mix but the resistance of mosquitos to chemicals is changing all the time so some years DDT is the most effective (generally do a mosquito sample and test program ahead of the wet season/twice a year) and therefore the one used for wall spraying that year might include DDT.

There is night and day difference in malaria stats between villages that have a spraying campaign and those that don't.

Of course, just recently there is vaccines being rolled out which will hopefully make an even bigger difference at far less cost but it is still early days for that.

Roger Bates is a hatchetman for various dubious companies and industries to discredit genuine concerns about those companies and their practices.

The precise argument he peddles is that DDT is the very best method of malaria control and these stupid environmentalist don't understand the situation in Africa because otherwise they'd be in favour of using DDT and isn't that the real racism?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

fez_machine posted:

Roger Bates is a hatchetman for various dubious companies and industries to discredit genuine concerns about those companies and their practices.

The precise argument he peddles is that DDT is the very best method of malaria control and these stupid environmentalist don't understand the situation in Africa because otherwise they'd be in favour of using DDT and isn't that the real racism?

Certainly not the very best method of malaria control, but a key part (well from 2010 to 2011 when these guys were active from the Wiki, now hopefully soon it will be the vaccine) along with DEET netting, education campaigns on long standing water, long sleeves etc.

There were campaigns for complete ban of DDT (and other persistent chemicals) by environmentalists that was certainly flawed and would have been a disaster resulting in millions of additional deaths but whether this mob was campaigning against those specific campaigns is not 100% clear to me.

This guy might be a crank but like a broken clock is right twice a day, opposing environmental campaigns to outright ban DDT is the correct move every day of the week (although if he done by declaring enviros are racists or something then yeah, weirdo).

That some (well meaning, if completely ignorant) environmentalists got onboard with outright banning of DDT, it is on them if they get called out on it. That it was by some weirdo that most of the world ignores (or even heard of) is meh.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
According to ANU, ghost guns (DIY firearm kits, or sometimes just regular guns with the serial number filed off) are showing up in Australia for tens of thousands of dollars a pop.

quote:

Australians have access to a wide variety of untraceable 'ghost guns' online along with a significant market of 3D printed weapon blueprints and kits, according to a new study from The Australian National University (ANU).

The report found conventional handguns were most popular on the dark web with illicit market vendors offering stealth packaging to Australia.

Glock semi-automatic pistols made up over half, 57 per cent, of all the handguns sold.

"There are lots of Glocks available. They are the standard law enforcement side arm, you see them in action movies," lead author Professor Roderic Broadhurst, from the ANU Cybercrime Observatory, said.

"They are trendy, slick and popular with gangsters and law enforcement.

"We think they are so popular on the dark web because they can be stripped down to their parts and sent through the post in pieces."

The researchers say dark web gun vendors take pride in their concealment methods and ability to "ghost" guns.

"The prices of these Glocks are roughly the same price as the offline equivalent but they are not registered or their serial numbers have been wiped off," Professor Broadhurst said.

"It theoretically makes them untraceable."

The study, produced for Australian Institute of Criminology tracked darknet markets between July and December 2019 and found 2,124 weapons for sale - 1,497 handguns, 219 rifles, 41 submachine guns and 34 shotguns.

The most common categories were handguns (70.5 per cent), followed by rifles (10.3 per cent), ammunition (3.7 per cent), submachine guns (1.9 per cent), explosives (1.7 per cent), shotguns (1.6 per cent) and accessories (1.1per cent). Digital products (5.3 per cent), CBRN (0.64 per cent) and miscellaneous weapons (3.3 per cent) were only listed on omnibus markets.

Alongside decommissioned military weapons, ammunition and fake weapon advertisements by various law enforcement agencies, 3D printed weapon kits and blueprints are also an emerging online product.

"We were surprised how much self-help material there is available. There is kit available for cutting frames for weapons," Professor Broadhurst said.

"It is like selling a pattern for a dress. You can then make the main piece of the firearm using 3D printing but without the unique serial numbers required on legally manufactured firearm frames."

The researchers say hybrid metal and plastic 3D printed components and kits are also up for sale online.

"3D printing is getting better and we are definitely seeing a higher class of products. It used to be thought plastic would be too brittle but they are using harder plastics," Professor Broadhurst said.

"It's like standing on a piece of Lego - these pieces will not break."

The researchers say prices of firearms varied considerably depending on type and calibre and ammunition was often sold with a firearm with Bitcoin typically the preferred payment method.

"In Australia, where firearms ownership is strictly regulated, illicit firearms are in demand by organised crime groups and criminals. One gun in the wrong hands can do damage," Professor Broadhurst said.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Genuine Glocks are mostly plastic and lol at the dumb oval office who didn't think 3D printing was going to improve significantly.

Also seems to have a poor understanding of material hardness vs brittleness but i guess it's in par after the former points.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mola Yam posted:

hey instead of bike paths can we post about how the state of tasmania should be dissolved (fyi: child sex abuse related):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2024/february/nick-feik/rotten-core#mtr

tl;dr is that the entire policing, justice, health, education and political structure of tasmania is a matryoshka doll of bureaucratic laziness, pride, corruption, and looking after your small town mates, with the smallest russian doll at the centre being rampant institutional child abuse.

Nothing's changed since the loving 70s.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I’m not a ghost so I say go hog wild with ghost guns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m not a ghost so I say go hog wild with ghost guns

Ghostbusters 2024 ARG going places

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
People can get guns? Now there’s no way for us to stop rampant gun use other than our ability to arrest, prosecute and jail anyone caught in possession of an illegal gun. Society on the brink of collapse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Weren't they all rich kids from private schools?

Because that's your answer right there.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Artificial Kid posted:

People can get guns? Now there’s no way for us to stop rampant gun use other than our ability to arrest, prosecute and jail anyone caught in possession of an illegal gun. Society on the brink of collapse.

Yep. Just ramp up the penalty for having one to a degree that'll make it very unattractive to have it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Weren't they all rich kids from private schools?

Because that's your answer right there.

We went over this, they didn't go right wing. Chas is on a lovely America show on ABC, where he has wonky centrist takes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gonna end up on a watch list looking at this but this is too good

quote:

In Australia, the state law of New South Wales criminalizes the possession of the digital plans and files to 3D print firearms under Section 51F of the Firearms Act 1996.[45] In one case in 2015, a loaded 3D printed firearm was found during a police raid on a meth lab.[46]
In another case in February 2017, Sicen Sun was arrested on charges related to 3D printable guns. During trial in December 2017, he pleaded guilty to charges including possessing a digital blueprint for the manufacture of firearms, manufacturing a pistol without a licence permit, and possessing an unauthorised pistol. In a sentence hearing on August 6, 2018, he told the court he initially wanted to replicate a gun from the videogame Halo and when he started searching blueprints online he downloaded plans for other guns which looked "cool".[47] Sun had previously posted an advertisement on the internet to sell one of his imitation weapons for "$1 million negotiable" on a Facebook buy, swap and sell group, which set off the investigation.

One million dollars!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
And not on some darkweb market which got taken over by the authorities or was a honeypot, he posted it on Facebook. I wonder what he thought the outcome was, friends and strangers giving him internet high fives? Actually a million dollars or thereabouts?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DRINK ME posted:

And not on some darkweb market which got taken over by the authorities or was a honeypot, he posted it on Facebook. I wonder what he thought the outcome was, friends and strangers giving him internet high fives?
Yeah it was this, his lawyer's defense in court was that he wanted to "have his work as a craftsman acknowledged".

Note that the page where he posted the $1 million ad was specifically "a Facebook buy, swap and sell group for military items" which explains why the Firearms Squad was monitoring it

Also:

quote:

Sun, then an advertising consultant, described himself to police as a "cosplay enthusiast" whose hobby of dressing up in costumes got "out of hand in regards to making the firearms appear as realistic as possible".

He made multiple replica guns on his 3D printer after initially searching online for plans to make a firearm used in the videogame Halo. None were capable of being loaded or fired.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sicen-sun-given-12-month-suspended-sentence-for-3d-printing-prop-guns-20180821-p4zyro.html

They weren't even ghost guns, they were cosplay props which I guess were painted up to look real. The judge gave him a 12 month suspended sentence and put him on a good behaviour bond

E: this article has photos of the fake guns

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you would think they would be worried about people making their own shinzo guns since that proved effective

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1754065134518260066

"i was hacked" incoming

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it was this, his lawyer's defense in court was that he wanted to "have his work as a craftsman acknowledged".

Note that the page where he posted the $1 million ad was specifically "a Facebook buy, swap and sell group for military items" which explains why the Firearms Squad was monitoring it

Also:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sicen-sun-given-12-month-suspended-sentence-for-3d-printing-prop-guns-20180821-p4zyro.html

They weren't even ghost guns, they were cosplay props which I guess were painted up to look real. The judge gave him a 12 month suspended sentence and put him on a good behaviour bond

E: this article has photos of the fake guns

Ok, that’s sort of understandable. I’m glad they didn’t throw him in jail for it, it’s a stupid, immature mistake but I guess he won’t try anything like a gun again.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whenever Craig Kelly says/does something I always think of the ex-Collingwood player turned Manager.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whenever Craig Kelly says/does something I always think of the ex-Collingwood player turned Manager.

I think of the Independant State of Croatia

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://x.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1754063051245093219?s=20

lol Leo cracks me up sometimes

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
drat it leo you are too young to be commenting on that

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I bet Leo has a funny name in fortnite

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
When I run for the senate one of my core promises will be I will never retweet any hardcore porn, only softcore self taken shots posted on authentic thirst trap timelines, no blue tick botfarm content

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Genuine Glocks are mostly plastic and lol at the dumb oval office who didn't think 3D printing was going to improve significantly.

Also seems to have a poor understanding of material hardness vs brittleness but i guess it's in par after the former points.

Mostly. The bits that matter most, though, like the firing pin and barrel, are machined out of metal alloys since plastics won't stand up to the explosive pressures of projectile cartridge combustion.

Although... now that metal 3D printing is a thing...

iajanus posted:

Yep. Just ramp up the penalty for having one to a degree that'll make it very unattractive to have it.

Not everyone cares about those penalties or even about the law in general. Ask your nearest sovereign citizen/freeman on the land type cooker what they think of the government interfering with their ability to have a gun.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Mostly. The bits that matter most, though, like the firing pin and barrel, are machined out of metal alloys since plastics won't stand up to the explosive pressures of projectile cartridge combustion.

Although... now that metal 3D printing is a thing...

Not everyone cares about those penalties or even about the law in general. Ask your nearest sovereign citizen/freeman on the land type cooker what they think of the government interfering with their ability to have a gun.

I’ll be sure to ask them that during their time in prison for having a gun.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

He's still hacked! Those tricky hackers, not clearing everyone's cache.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Isn’t it amazing that in 2024 the only thing hackers do after gaining access to a twitter account is liking porn. No scams. No horrific slurs. No exposing DMs or Drafts. Nope, just going to like one porn tweet and then exit. Crafty buggers.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://x.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1754122478329508037?s=20

https://x.com/Tamstralia/status/1754128066572341477?s=20

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-05/young-money-story-trailblazer-financial-literacy/103390874
Yes, the problem is the youth are poor at identifying what has value or not. It's also their fault that HECS debts are higher, they should have negotiated a better price for their degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Another boring take on an article about financial literacy. Don't bother doing what you can with reality just have a cry about it online.