Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
this would have never happened to dustin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did cm punk's presence cause all this animosity between paul and cody? dwayne and logan? cody and dwayne?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cavauro posted:

did cm punk's presence cause all this animosity between paul and cody? dwayne and logan? cody and dwayne?

(pinhead from hellraiser voice) it was not cm punk that caused this... it was jack perry

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/therock/status/1754026101251428760?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Posting this in the middle of the night lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's right

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

From Undesirable to Undeniable, the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Story.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol there's AEW fans in the replies going "LET'S GO ROCKY YOU'RE THE REAL STAR CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AT MANIA"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

On one hand, gently caress tribalism. Good wrestling is good wrestling, regardless of the promotion.

On the other hand, lol gently caress WWE.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 4, 2024

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfjdsReahs

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

On one hand, gently caress tribalism. Good wrestling is good wrestling, regardless of the promotion.

It's a good thing WWE doesn't do good wrestling then.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MJeff posted:

lol there's AEW fans in the replies going "LET'S GO ROCKY YOU'RE THE REAL STAR CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AT MANIA"

fan

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's a good thing WWE doesn't do good wrestling then.

I thought that would've gone without saying.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

https://twitter.com/tm06nick/status/1623713240894021632?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that The rock guy is a real jerkyl and pryde

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

it really could (and should) just go on forever like that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Whatever happened with Drake Maverick

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Got fired

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drake Maverick, did a pee in his pants and got fired.

According to Wikipedia, he's currently a writer on Raw.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cavauro posted:

Sounds like he may have been the only thing preventing it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Was he the animosity lightning rod?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was thinking in those terms. everything could have happened differently, and cm punk would have theoretically and supposedy been a part of that. nevertheless perhaps cm punk is the metaphysical key to how things are now for these people and this company. maybe some kind of mephistophelian interpersonal enmity cloud goes as goes cm punk.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ever since he betrayed his only real friend in the world.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I'd in fact say everyone involved is getting exactly what they deserve.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could I get a brief rundown of why this thread takes glee in Cody's suffering? I don't know the details like I do with Punk that invite the animosity. I've not heard something about him to suggest he's a bad guy but a few things to suggest he's a bit of a fool, but then I don't watch wrestling anymore and just look at it every now and then.

Also when I did still watch I always liked him and thought he did great jobs with the stupid gimmicks they gave him.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 4, 2024

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

snoremac posted:

Could I get a brief rundown of why this thread takes glee in Cody's suffering? I don't know the details like I do with Punk that invite the animosity. I've not heard something about him to suggest he's a bad guy but a few things to suggest he's a bit of a fool, but then I don't watch wrestling anymore and just look at it every now and then.

Also when I did still watch I always liked him and thought he did great jobs with the stupid gimmicks they gave him.

If you want the short version he wasted a lot of our time when he was in AEW, subjecting us to horrible segments and killing the heat of more than a few people by stubbornly resisting a heel turn despite the crowd totally rejecting him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pylons posted:

If you want the short version he wasted a lot of our time when he was in AEW, subjecting us to horrible segments and killing the heat of more than a few people by stubbornly resisting a heel turn despite the crowd totally rejecting him.

Cody's coming home.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Cody's coming home.

He's still not allowed to win the world title.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

those aren’t aew fans those are real wwe fans. the aew fans are trying to gaslight wwe into having an aew midcarder beat roman.

we love you the rock

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

snoremac posted:

It's how they deal with the pain of him leaving. :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

snoremac posted:

He left the company because they treated him like a joke. In his time away he made a name for himself and helped found the most direct competition WWE has had in 20 years; became executive vice president of a major promotion. Due to whatever stuff we are not privy to, he left to return to WWE in an era where the world champion is hyper protected, so his attempts at the belt feel like them treating Cody like a joke.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So bear with me... maybe Cody wins the loser title and immediately trades it for the MitB briefcase.

Then he cashes in on Roman after a grueling match

Then he breaks his titty again going for four of five cross Rhodes to put him down and they audible back to Roman and a bunch of rubber chickens fall from the sky like confetti

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

snoremac posted:

We're laughing because the frog, who had already spent years being repeatedly stung by this particular scorpion (which had also stung multiple close family members of the frog in the past) saw the scorpion all gussied up in its "It's Frog Stinging Time" t-shirt and decided that it would be a fine thing to let the scorpion hitch a ride on his back.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Pylons posted:

ironically if Cody came back to AEW he would probably be the biggest babyface star in the company immediately

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

snoremac posted:

Probably a lot of it stems from the fact that he handicapped his own AEW run by declaring he'd never challenge for the world title even when it made total sense to do so, plus some extremely mediocre feuds with people much lower on the card than him like QT Marshall or Anthony Ogogo (in which Cody defeated Racism by beating a black person with the power of Patriotism!) and the latter half of his time there was spent constantly teasing heel turns and basically acting like this weird Homelander type character who thinks he's the good guy while doing completely heel stuff but the actual heel turn just never happened and people were confused why it was being drawn out so long and then he just up and left for WWE as soon as he got the chance so it was never resolved.

Also like, presentation-wise: every single thing he does comes off as fake/manufactured. Which I know sounds completely insane to be saying about professional wrestling but it's the fact that he very clearly wants to be the classic All American Babyface with drapes himself in American flags and goes out of his way to plug whatever product's sponsoring the show that night and talking about the American Dream and all that. All that stuff comes off as a delusional thing a heel would be doing because it's wild that a wrestling character in 2024 is acting like a 1980s stereotype of what a babyface should be and yet it's not, he's just actually doing it.

Also personally I just get this vibe from the guy that he never really gave a poo poo about the whole "revolution" thing he was pushing. Like, it kinda feels like every move he made from going to New Japan and ROH to inserting himself into the Bullet Club/Elite groups and doing the All In show and forming AEW, all of it was done just to get Vince's attention cause he figured they'd be jumping at the chance to poach one of AEW's founders away and would push him to the absolute top just to rub it in their faces and for the most part it worked out...until this week.

Like none of these things make me actually genuinely hate the guy. He's Fine. It's just really loving funny when someone whose very much up their own rear end ends up eating poo poo in the best way possible.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Basically Cody left AEW in a very high profile way, and staked a claim strongly on becoming champion, with the identified path being beating Roman at Wrestlemania. He was booked very strong and people said it wouldn't last. He broke his titty, came back in time for the Rumble and Mania... and lost. Various people took some schadenfreude in this, especially after he cut a promo about "finishing the story".

This time round he won the Rumble, heavily indicated he was coming for Reigns... and then voluntarily went for the other title instead.

People are laughing at a guy being booked like a joke who is insisting he is the hero on this heroic narrative.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

snoremac posted:

This is the place where he was given stupid gimmicks
He left it because of that and because he knew they do poo poo like this to people, including to his dad and brother
He got successful on his own, helped cofound a competitor that wound up being entertaining and that people liked
He left there because he was starting to get crowd reactions he didn't like and didn't want to change or adapt his own booking (which was intentionally suffocating the midcard title scene, because he felt uncomfortable taking up the world title scene in a company he helped cofound) to avoid that
He came back here expecting the place changed while he was gone and no longer did poo poo like this to people
The fans he still has online (not here but on the worst parts of the Internet where other wrasslefans are), despite every problem he's faced in the last 3 years being one he either caused himself or knew about and went back to willingly himself, are vocally insane and insist on "he was done dirty in AEW" (??? by who, himself? sure) to excuse the first half and "but HHH/Dwayne were in charge this time, not Vince, it was supposed to be different now" for this half (HHH is the guy who hated him last time and wouldn't let him not be Stardust anymore, and he openly called him out for it and made fun of him with throne-smashing at AEW, there was absolutely no reason or evidence to expect HHH was going to change for the better beyond Cody's similar Time Has Passed Since I've Been Gone thing)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Also like, presentation-wise: every single thing he does comes off as fake/manufactured. Which I know sounds completely insane to be saying about professional wrestling but it's the fact that he very clearly wants to be the classic All American Babyface with drapes himself in American flags and goes out of his way to plug whatever product's sponsoring the show that night and talking about the American Dream and all that. All that stuff comes off as a delusional thing a heel would be doing because it's wild that a wrestling character in 2024 is acting like a 1980s stereotype of what a babyface should be and yet it's not, he's just actually doing it.

Also personally I just get this vibe from the guy that he never really gave a poo poo about the whole "revolution" thing he was pushing. Like, it kinda feels like every move he made from going to New Japan and ROH to inserting himself into the Bullet Club/Elite groups and doing the All In show and forming AEW, all of it was done just to get Vince's attention cause he figured they'd be jumping at the chance to poach one of AEW's founders away and would push him to the absolute top just to rub it in their faces and for the most part it worked out...until this week.

Outside of generally being a big idiot thinking this time it would be different for him in the sex abuse company it's this poo poo.

In a business of phony mutherfuckers Cody is THE MOST phony mutherfucker.

And don't get me started about his eternal weeping about his loving dad for heat. It's gross.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Cheers for all the responses to my question.

Sounds like at the end of the day he'll have one of the more interesting biographies in wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For me laughing at Cody's failures is nothing to do with Cody, who did what very WWE guys had the guts to do by going off on his own and actually managed to turn himself into the big deal he already should have been, and entirely to do with WWE being handed the absolute easiest of lay-ups and managing to fumble the ball. Twice. Cody deserves better but lmao, WWE deserves everything they get