Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Serephina posted:

I think it's kind of a given that there's graft going on when a major political party (which is supposed to represent a non-trivial amount of the population) takes a stance against what is universally accepted as a public good, in favor of single industry. Arguably a minor one too, in terms of local employment etc.

I don't know how to rewrite that. The current government is reversing/minimizing policies on tobacco of all loving things. It made international news. Looking up the definition of Graft, it sharply and succulently describes the situation.

Delicious, juicy graft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

klen dool posted:

What did key even get out of that? Taken out for dinner by some mid level movie exec who called him a big handsome and smart boy, that's what.

A Warner Brothers mug you can't put in the dishwasher or microwave

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

I'm positive NZ first campaigned on it, as in it was on their website, that anyone voting for them or their likely coalition partners absolutely would have checked and read fully and understood before voting for nzfirst or nzfirsts likely coalition partners because to do otherwise would be irresponsible.

So lots of people wanted it.
Literally nobody who has ever voted for NZ First is reading their website

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

klen dool posted:

I'm positive NZ first campaigned on it, as in it was on their website, that anyone voting for them or their likely coalition partners absolutely would have checked and read fully and understood before voting for nzfirst or nzfirsts likely coalition partners because to do otherwise would be irresponsible.

So lots of people wanted it.
Yeah man all the olds who voted for NZ First definitely checked the website.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I'm being sarcastic obviously

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Luxon and Peters were each challenged by one kaiwero (warrior).

ACT leader David Seymour faced a kāhui (group) of kaiwero (warriors)

Further to this, one of the warriors lifted his maro (loin cloth) to reveal his penis to the political parties during the pōwhiri. He then licked his rakau (stick) and bared his butt. This can be interpreted as a challenge to the Crown.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

exmarx posted:

Further to this, one of the warriors lifted his maro (loin cloth) to reveal his penis to the political parties during the pōwhiri. He then licked his rakau (stick) and bared his butt. This can be interpreted as a challenge to the Crown.

lmao

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

hell yeah

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Aotearoa newzealand politics: this can be interpreted as a challenge to the crown

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2-kGRKyFzo/

I'm pretty sure "happy Waitangi Day" isn't the right salutation

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ghostlight posted:

Literally nobody who has ever voted for NZ First is reading their website

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The one dude I know who tactically voted for nz first as a "handbrake for nact" definitely read the policies on the nz first website

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

exmarx posted:

Aotearoa New Zealand Politics:This can be interpreted as a challenge to the Crown

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Aotearoa newzealand politics: this can be interpreted as a challenge to the crown

Varkk posted:

Aotearoa New Zealand Politics:This can be interpreted as a challenge to the Crown

Mods pls

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Aotearoa New Zealand Politics: Mods pls

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So let it be mote

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The one dude I know who tactically voted for nz first as a "handbrake for nact" definitely read the policies on the nz first website
Lol at everything in NZ having to come back to cars

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

exmarx posted:

The use of the word "butt" seems like a juvenile way to describe something that's kinda serious. Like it's not a joke to do that even if it is funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

The use of the word "butt" seems like a juvenile way to describe something that's kinda serious. Like it's not a joke to do that even if it is funny.

Butts are funny, though?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

sebmojo posted:

Butts are funny, though?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Butts are funny.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

klen dool posted:

I presume it is precise terminology in that they did not reveal their anus. Sadly I can never know unless there is footage of this commendable act.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol at everything in NZ having to come back to cars

On that subject, Luxon continues to surprise me by displaying good political instincts.

https://twitter.com/chrisluxonmp/status/1755385414205010022/photo/1

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Weka posted:

I presume it is precise terminology in that they did not reveal their anus. Sadly I can never know unless there is footage of this commendable act.

On that subject, Luxon continues to surprise me by displaying good political instincts.

Will Wayne Brown follow through on the implied threat that this will result in rates increases?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Simeon went on to describe the fuel tax as unfair because it was used to fund "non-roading projects, such as red light cameras, speed bumps, and lower speed limits"

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Simeon went on to describe the fuel tax as unfair because it was used to fund "non-roading projects, such as red light cameras, speed bumps, and lower speed limits"

Red light camera budget: $4
Speed bump budget: $6
Speed limit budget: $5
Building new highways and maintaining roads $999,985

Someone help me balance this budget

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I really want to be able to laugh at this current goverment because it's beyond a joke, but I just can't. The long and short term damage they are causing is gross and it makes me super sad and a bit angry. Hurry up and collapse already.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Lol helping kiwis with their cost of living crisis? If I lived in Auckland I'd get like $6 a month for my 60 litre tank what a joke

Where's my 250 a fortnight?!?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God I heard that on the radio, what the christ.

He goes on to describe a bunch of gov funded good things (YES SPEED BUMPS ARE GOOD USE OF TAX DOLLARS) as an improper use of a tax, so he suggests cutting the tax. No, there's no new one to replace it, we're just not gonna have those things anymore.

I doubt he's (that big of) an idiot, he doesn't actually believe the nonsense he's saying, it just feels like complete contempt for the laymen with such shoddy sophistry.

edit:

Confusedslight posted:

I really want to be able to laugh at this current goverment because it's beyond a joke, but I just can't. The long and short term damage they are causing is gross and it makes me super sad and a bit angry. Hurry up and collapse already.
Basically yea. But it'll never collapse, we're not that type of nation. The damage is just gonna keep happening for the next few years at the very least.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Serephina posted:

God I heard that on the radio, what the christ.

He goes on to describe a bunch of gov funded good things (YES SPEED BUMPS ARE GOOD USE OF TAX DOLLARS) as an improper use of a tax, so he suggests cutting the tax. No, there's no new one to replace it, we're just not gonna have those things anymore.

I doubt he's (that big of) an idiot, he doesn't actually believe the nonsense he's saying, it just feels like complete contempt for the laymen with such shoddy sophistry.

edit:

Basically yea. But it'll never collapse, we're not that type of nation. The damage is just gonna keep happening for the next few years at the very least.

I think that a big portion of the Auckland fuel tax was going towards public transport improvements

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Weka posted:

I don't think that "make petrol cheaper" counts as good political instincts. And it shouldn't be surprising to see them get rid of something they campaigned (twice) on removing and that they opposed for the entire 5 years it was.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Serephina posted:

We're not the type of nation

Yet.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There's no way we'd collapse unless America does it first. Fortunately, America is a very stable country

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Government collapse =//= country collapse

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
What was that we were saying about corruption?
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/508914/lobbyists-are-back-at-parliament-with-a-new-privacy-measure-hiding-their-identities

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Protecting the privacy of James "cigarette" puffmore

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
hate this guy so much lol

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/509088/new-zealand-is-reviving-the-anzac-alliance-joining-aukus-is-a-logical-next-step

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a new era for independent new zealand foreign policy - we get to decide for ourselves which faction of large countries tells us what to do

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We are gonna spend so much money while gaining nothing lmao

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Genuinely surprised by this because the national party has long been fully corrupted by CCP adjacent money. Guess they decided they didn't need it cause the property developers dug deep this election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

We are gonna spend so much money while gaining nothing lmao

I thought we were broke lol