Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gripweed posted:

Wasn’t that started by the Soviets?

no they used a pencil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IndoPac_Info/status/1753969631688323295

so much projection that one can hear "next slide please"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

why is he so worried, china is a rotting carcass weaker than yemen

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

quote:

A key deterrent of Chinese aggression in the western Pacific, Paparo said, is continued support of Ukraine and thwarting Russia’s invasion.

oh yeah deter me

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of reflecting and saying "this is too hard" the best course of action is always to double or triple down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Big this tweet energy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hitler did win: his son, joe biden rules the earth and its genocides

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

hitler did win: his son, joe biden rules the earth and its genocides

he successfully defeated his single greatest enemy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Oldest Man posted:

um yes excuse me that is market interference

the government cant pick winners and losers

especially not when it comes to wanting itself to be the winner of a war

a state trying to win a war?

sounds kinda like they're intervening in the free market of conflict. pretty sus if you ask me

also why was there 2000 new pages lol, how did I forget to click this thread

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If your nation state winning a war adversely affects the shareholder profitability of corporation X we'll see you in corporate international court to sue you for the difference.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danann posted:

Thing is this WAS Russians plan. It just failed. And plans can always fail so...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like the UK citizen army is going well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKIw0copK70

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah well using overwhelming force in the beginning is always the best plan. But it depends on the material reality.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, well, I loaded DCS and gave my side perfect stealth and perfect accuracy WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING IN REAL LIFE. loving nvidia razer logitech bugs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Seems like the UK citizen army is going well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKIw0copK70

No oval office will explain why the gently caress any of us should fight. We've been told society isn't real and its survival of the fittest baby, no hand outs. So what am I fighting for? What am I trying to preserve? Sausage rolls? Binge drinking culture? Ant and dec? gently caress offfffffff m8

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

No oval office will explain why the gently caress any of us should fight. We've been told society isn't real and its survival of the fittest baby, no hand outs. So what am I fighting for? What am I trying to preserve? Sausage rolls? Binge drinking culture? Ant and dec? gently caress offfffffff m8

if you dont the seeseepee will run the place

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

The wankers in charge don't know either. They just inherited a system and a big console labelled "nation" covered in levers they don't know what any of it does.

I hesitate to advise anything because we live in this marvellous internet age where anything you say can and will end up with you being carted off by The Powers That Be if you speak against them. So I won't. But anyone with an inkling of imagination can figure out what they personally need to do.

We aren't quite at "every man for himself" but I think we're close.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Ardennes posted:

The only thing I would disagree with is the US trying to squeeze out a couple more proxy wars here and there. It may be in the Western hemisphere or Africa but they aren't ready to give up even if the commitment they can make is going to get weaker and weaker.

As for the stock market, yeah, people in the econ thread don't get or probably don't want to get is "number" is a inverse sign for the USD and the general American Empire. It is going to keep on going up, more or less, including BTC because the dollar itself is getting weaker and higher future yields will only press it further. There will be future printing...it just won't be controlled, it will be cashing out the bank.

I would give a take all of cspan will hate, at a certain point it will be more worthwhile for anyone with cash to dump it in gold coins or copper piping or whatever than it is to keep in USD.

Really just the gold bit - CSPAM is more a hoarding beans and fixtures kinda place yea. Or like washing machine parts, that kind of stuff. Copper piping is a good addition though.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

shoulda listen to the ai obsessed guy who says put all your money into screws

wait, this was rutibex!?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Regarde Aduck posted:

you’ll be fighting for king sausagefingers’ swollen prostate m8 show sum respect

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ro5s posted:

you’ll be fighting for king sausagefingers’ swollen prostate m8 show sum respect

Battered or deep fried? Does it come with salad or chips?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing is this WAS Russians plan. It just failed. And plans can always fail so...

The plan was to quickly force the Ukrainians back to the negotiation table to make actual concessions they would put into practice.

The plan should have been to actually win by military means, which might have resulted in the quick forcing of Ukrainians back to the negotiation table, but alas they half-stepped and now hundreds of thousands are dead.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DancingShade posted:

We aren't quite at "every man for himself" but I think we're close.

this will never be correct

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mandel Brotset posted:

this will never be correct

Woman and childen first! I shout, as I throw their protesting and screaming bodies into the ice cold night time atlantic ocean from the quarterdeck of SS Titanic.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

The plan was to quickly force the Ukrainians back to the negotiation table to make actual concessions they would put into practice.

The plan should have been to actually win by military means, which might have resulted in the quick forcing of Ukrainians back to the negotiation table, but alas they half-stepped and now hundreds of thousands are dead.

totally agree but i wonder what the real situation was with the convoy that was marching on Kyiv. The Russians say they pulled back as part of the deal they were making, but they would say that. Was this a case of Ukrainian perfidy or did Russia blink at the last minute?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Neoliberalism is finally ending the "French" part of the French Revolution. The death of nationalism in the imperial core is coinciding with the beginning of climate doom and a general destabilization due to huge increases in access to information. Going to own

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

totally agree but i wonder what the real situation was with the convoy that was marching on Kyiv. The Russians say they pulled back as part of the deal they were making, but they would say that. Was this a case of Ukrainian perfidy or did Russia blink at the last minute?

The simplest explanation is Putin underestimated the grift of Russia's own MIC. Which was also the western media's explanation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't make a joke when the headline is already this good. I offer zero additional commentary because I mean just look at it. What can I say?

https://www.themandarin.com.au/238657-adf-semi-retirement-promotes-dads-army-to-grandads-army/

ADF flexible ‘semi-retirement’ strategy promotes Dad’s Army to Grandad’s Army.

There’s nothing like a proper labour shortage to broaden the minds of human resources folk and make them actually earn their keep. In the Australian Defence Force (ADF), that means hanging onto the old guard for a few years longer, as the army tries to find sufficient numbers of recruits.

As large and institutional employers across Australia try to retain more mature personnel for longer (because there is no younger and cheaper staff to be hired), Australia’s military is biting the bullet by tapping into the retirement queue to maintain its ranks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Rule the seas.

https://www.eurasiantimes.com/oyal-navy-halts-major-warship-patrols-near/

Falklands Feud: UK ‘Halts’ Major Warship Patrols Near ‘Contested Islands’; Dearth Of Vessels Leave It Undefended?

The Falkland Islands are no longer patrolled by major British warships due to a shortage of vessels, leaving their defense primarily in the hands of a small patrol vessel and four RAF Typhoons, according to reports.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I have a question, why does anyone even care about the Falklands? There's a definite article there expecting me to know that Falklands is something other than a funny word.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't think anybody except nationalist crazies really care, but for the brits its one of the things that lets them pretend that they're still relevant on the world stage and for the argentinians its the one irredentist claim that they can push without antagonizing anybody who's actually relevant in the region

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

DancingShade posted:

Source: Guardian UK

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/04/british-army-would-exhaust-capabilities-after-two-months-of-war-mps-told

British army would exhaust capabilities after two months of war, MPs told
Jessica Murray
Sun 4 Feb 2024 10.32 GMT

The UK’s ability to fight an all-out war would be marred by the armed forces’ capability, stockpile shortages and a recruitment crisis, MPs have been told.

The Commons defence committee heard that the “hollowing out” of the armed forces since 2010 had undermined the UK’s war fighting resilience, and the army would exhaust its capabilities “after the first couple of months” in a peer-on-peer war.

Jeremy Quin, the chair of the committee, said operations and continuing commitments meant the military was “unable to devote sufficient training and resources to high-intensity war fighting”.

“While able to deploy at short notice and to fulfil commitments, our inquiry found that readiness for all-out, prolonged war has received insufficient attention and needs intense ongoing focus,” he said.

The high tempo of operations and unrelenting pressure on our services has led to a drop in retention, compounded by a period of low recruitment and difficulties introducing and maintaining capabilities, thereby creating a vicious cycle.”

The panel suggested the “unrelenting pressure” on personnel had exacerbated the crisis in recruitment, with more people leaving the armed forces than joining.

The committee’s report also said the military needed to be “strategic about the resources we have, including how to maintain and replenish stockpiles”, and ensure equipment did not go to waste.

Efforts by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to tackle the problem were not “being carried out at the required pace”, the report said, adding that readiness “is essential to effective deterrence to our adversaries” at a time of heightened geopolitical instability.

Last month the defence secretary, Grant Shapps, said the world was “moving from a postwar to prewar world” and the UK must ensure its “entire defence ecosystem is ready” to defend its homeland.

He insisted the size of the army would not dip below 73,000 under the Conservatives, amid growing concerns about further cuts to troop numbers.

About 20,000 UK service personnel will take part in the largest Nato exercise since the end of the cold war this year, testing the ability of the alliance to quickly deploy forces.

However, the departure of Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth to lead the exercise has been cancelled at the last minute after an issue with a propeller shaft was spotted during final checks.

The setback comes 18 months after its sister ship, HMS Prince of Wales, broke down off the Isle of Wight after it sailed for the US having suffered a malfunction.

That ship will now be readied to take the place of the £3bn fleet flagship on the Nato exercises, which will involve more than 40 vessels.

The MoD has been contacted for comment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

They were overextended, surrounded on three sides with a long and vulnerable supply line (hence overextended) and blocked by terrain that got inundated by a blown dam. I think the original idea with that thrust was a largely unopposed coup de main to (threaten to) occupy the government institutions in Kiev. They then kinda sorta threatened to artillery shell Kiev, but at that point it was clear that the government was committed to the death drive so actually carrying that out wouldn't have done anything but leave your poo poo exposed. Plus Russia has shown incredible restraint in hitting civilians and civilian infrastructure throughout especially the first year of the war, but tbh they still do.

So basically it was a threat based on expecting the Ukrainians to fold rather than fight like in 2014 and in Georgia. It never could have succeeded against determined resistance. Lesson learned is don't make threats you can't back up. Had that disposition of forces instead been committed east of the Dnepr they could have driven much harder and deeper into Ukrainian rear areas in either the north or the south, potentially making the determined defence of the central Ukrainian defences facing Donetsk completely impossible by threatening to cut its supplies. This in turn might have led to a stalemate at the Dnepr rather than the current situation, at which point imo Ukraine is utterly hosed. Not in the least because Kiev is then actually vulnerable to indefinite artillery shelling.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Regarde Aduck posted:

my guess based on v little info is that russia expected to extract some concessions in return for not continuing the war, and it might have worked if the uk and us hadn’t convinced ukraine to reject any deals and fight forever with free* weapons

*they’re gonna be paying that crap off forever lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

I have a question, why does anyone even care about the Falklands? There's a definite article there expecting me to know that Falklands is something other than a funny word.

it’s not the falkland’s per se but the fishing rights and potential oil exportation in its maritime exclusive economic zone, although that could be also be post hoc justification and there’s gently caress all actually there

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Falkland is really far from Argentina, 700km. Thats 4 times the distance between China mainland and Taiwan island.

This could have been resolved by negotiation. Argentina takes sovereign rights but leaves local rules and a british military base for x years.

Not sure the Brits got any long term benefit out of the war either.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DancingShade posted:

Woman and childen first! I shout, as I throw their protesting and screaming bodies into the ice cold night time atlantic ocean from the quarterdeck of SS Titanic.

not analogous

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Just a few more years, and the etymology of the word "surge" will be traced to a 1990s video game

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

RIP Syndrome posted:

Just a few more years, and the etymology of the word "surge" will be traced to a 1990s video game

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1520909866717564933

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

An American and British warship meet at sea during an exercise. The USN ship signals "What does it feel like being in the second biggest western navy?", the RN ship replies "What does it feel like being in the second best?"

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Contemporary strategy is based on a misconception of the zerg rush; it only works right at the very onset of hostilities. For instance, the Americans waited almost ten years before deploying their troop zerg in Afghanistan. By then, it was too late.