Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

yeah it's kind of big lol (backed into corner of garage)

Yeah that’s been poorly repaired before. You’re not going to make it look good without a shop doing the work or finding a used bumper cover and swapping it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah that’s been poorly repaired before. You’re not going to make it look good without a shop doing the work or finding a used bumper cover and swapping it on.

ah good to know. i bought it used so that must have happened before I got it

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 3, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i recommend a cross shaped bandaid for your new ouchie.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
carve out the center where it’s caved in and put goatse around it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

actionjackson posted:

yeah it wasn't a tree, i just felt too embarassed to admit what i really did :/

I've backed up at least 2 cars into my garages in the past, if it makes you feel better. One required a new bumper, one required caring less.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Thinking about getting these for my Polo, great idea?

https://www.felgenoutlet.com/en/all...eselect_inch=16

(16" size, I'm not an animal)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Omon Ra posted:

Thinking about getting these for my Polo, great idea?

https://www.felgenoutlet.com/en/all...eselect_inch=16

(16" size, I'm not an animal)

I love them but only if your car is a bit lowered otherwise on stock ride height they will look ridiculous. They're knockoff rally wheels if you weren't aware but unless your car looks like a rally car they won't look good with a lot of room around the tires.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Got an e-golf to replace my rear ended jetta and love it!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Even the range? My barrier to entry on an e-Golf was the less than 200 mile range.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Celexi posted:

Got an e-golf to replace my rear ended jetta and love it!

Dang, I'm so not pay attention to new cars and didn't know this was a thing. I'm thinking my next car will be an EV or hybrid, but I miss my GTI. If they still make these in a decade, I'll be interested!

EDIT: guess they don't make them anymore?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My GTI’s battery has departed this mortal coil. Not bad from a 2016 manufacturing date.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My GTI’s battery has departed this mortal coil. Not bad from a 2016 manufacturing date.

That's pretty good. My last 2 VW's needed a new battery within like 3 years

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Uthor posted:

Dang, I'm so not pay attention to new cars and didn't know this was a thing. I'm thinking my next car will be an EV or hybrid, but I miss my GTI. If they still make these in a decade, I'll be interested!

Yeah they only made them for a little while. I think the ID3 is the "Golf" style EV although they look worse than a Golf.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Uthor posted:

I bought a barely used low mileage one, sel premium. the battery range barely drops in cold and handles cold weather amazing, until vw sells their new small ones in us i'll keep it.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Turns out if you leave the heated mirrors on, the mirror glass will eventually fall out and you'll get home and wonder wtf happened. Not sure what VW uses to glue those in.

About to hit 40k in my 2019 GTI, just had the water pump/thermostat housing, right headlight and said mirror replaced under warranty and now I'm planning the 40k service. The manual says the 7-speed DSG doesn't need fluid until 80k, but that can't be right, can it?

Edit: second dumb question, did they actually revise the thermostat housing/water pump to fix whatever issue caused the big settlement, or is it expected it'll just keep leaking every few years?

Fats fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 17, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The 7-speed DSG has always been 80k service I believe, the 6-speed is 40k.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Long shot, but has anyone replaced the fuel pump on a pre 8/15 build Audi S3?

I'm fairly sure mine is going out due to some persistent issues I've seen under very specific conditions when starting my car.

I purchased a (supposed) drop-in replacement part Hitachi HPP0018 fuel pump off of Amazon after doing some research. The replacement part comes with a rubber grommet where the OEM (still installed) part has a brass hex-cap bolt of some kind installed: https://imgur.com/a/ycab7TB

Better yet I cannot find a single description of what the hell that hole even is or what it's used for. Is the rubber grommet okay to keep in place when I install the fuel pump? I'd assume no since there is high pressure fuel involved, I need some sort of metal plug to ensure I don't spray fuel over my engine bay after doing the install.

Just looking at the clearances involved, I know I don't have a socket head that can remove the bolt from the old part either.

I've found maybe 2 or 3 posts on the plethora of Audi/VW forums on this specific fuel pump, and just a single post where someone was complaining of the same issue (rubber grommet instead of bolt) with the replacement Hitachi part, but they never posted any resolution.

I'm kind of at my wits end here and about to go to my mechanic to see what they say.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Rusty posted:

The 7-speed DSG has always been 80k service I believe, the 6-speed is 40k.

It's 40k for my 2009 GTI

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Long shot, but has anyone replaced the fuel pump on a pre 8/15 build Audi S3?

I'm fairly sure mine is going out due to some persistent issues I've seen under very specific conditions when starting my car.

I purchased a (supposed) drop-in replacement part Hitachi HPP0018 fuel pump off of Amazon after doing some research. The replacement part comes with a rubber grommet where the OEM (still installed) part has a brass hex-cap bolt of some kind installed: https://imgur.com/a/ycab7TB

Better yet I cannot find a single description of what the hell that hole even is or what it's used for. Is the rubber grommet okay to keep in place when I install the fuel pump? I'd assume no since there is high pressure fuel involved, I need some sort of metal plug to ensure I don't spray fuel over my engine bay after doing the install.

Just looking at the clearances involved, I know I don't have a socket head that can remove the bolt from the old part either.

I've found maybe 2 or 3 posts on the plethora of Audi/VW forums on this specific fuel pump, and just a single post where someone was complaining of the same issue (rubber grommet instead of bolt) with the replacement Hitachi part, but they never posted any resolution.

I'm kind of at my wits end here and about to go to my mechanic to see what they say.

If you're going to go through with the replacement, you will need to get that bolt/plug swapped over. A HPFP puts out several thousand PSI, so it's unlikely the grommet will be of any use. You can grind sockets down, and that's about all I can suggest unless there is some specialty tool out there. Looking at other parts, it looks like they have the same thing going on or don't show that angle, so at best it's a gamble of getting to forgo this part of the replacement.

That said, I think it might be wise to get your mechanic's opinion. Frankly it doesn't sound like it's really been narrowed down to this part being the source of your issues. I think HPFP issues would surface more at cruising speed than at startup. I don't know the full story but, I'd think some codes would get logged too if the fuel rail wasn't getting adequate pressure. Even better would be to see some data about its performance to see if it's within spec or not, ideally when experiencing the startup issues you've encountered.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

nitsuga posted:

If you're going to go through with the replacement, you will need to get that bolt/plug swapped over. A HPFP puts out several thousand PSI, so it's unlikely the grommet will be of any use. You can grind sockets down, and that's about all I can suggest unless there is some specialty tool out there. Looking at other parts, it looks like they have the same thing going on or don't show that angle, so at best it's a gamble of getting to forgo this part of the replacement.

That said, I think it might be wise to get your mechanic's opinion. Frankly it doesn't sound like it's really been narrowed down to this part being the source of your issues. I think HPFP issues would surface more at cruising speed than at startup. I don't know the full story but, I'd think some codes would get logged too if the fuel rail wasn't getting adequate pressure. Even better would be to see some data about its performance to see if it's within spec or not, ideally when experiencing the startup issues you've encountered.

So I did have some codes get thrown the first time this happened real bad:
U112300 Databus error value received
P008700 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
P03000 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected (across all 4 cylinders, each cylinder having it's won fault code being thrown as well)

The last time this happened (I was actually at Autozone) I ran a check for codes again and found none (I had cleared the codes previously, I kind of expected to get the same codes again), and threw up the fuel rail pressure as I was trying to get it started. The fuel pressure reading never went over 400psi while it was trying to start. I think normal (idle) operating pressure is ~4500kpa (not psi!!).

I also replaced the spark plugs just tonight and found this: which is apparently indicative of a failing valve cover gasket.

woo...

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 2, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I need to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2019 RS5. I’m looking at using GiroDisc pads and rotors. Since I’m changing to different types of pads and rotors compared to the front, do I need to change the front as well as the rear? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that it’s recommended to change the front and rear at the same time if you’re changing compounds.

The front pads are at 6mm so they still have a fair bit of life left.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 1, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I'm strongly considering picking up the 24 Atlas Cross Sport R-line and have been hearing a lot of negative comments about Volkswagen's reliability. For someone that stays up on their maintenance, how much of this is hype and hyperbole? Does this concern generally apply to certain engines/platforms, or universal? I have heard the VW V6s have issues, this model now has a Turbo 4 cylinder so hoping that is more in their wheelhouse.

Appreciate any input here, thanks!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve owned 5 different Audis since new and never had problems with any of them. The only time I’ve taken them in is for routine maintenance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I'm strongly considering picking up the 24 Atlas Cross Sport R-line and have been hearing a lot of negative comments about Volkswagen's reliability. For someone that stays up on their maintenance, how much of this is hype and hyperbole? Does this concern generally apply to certain engines/platforms, or universal? I have heard the VW V6s have issues, this model now has a Turbo 4 cylinder so hoping that is more in their wheelhouse.

Appreciate any input here, thanks!

To be entirely honest and blunt, I don’t know why you would get an Atlas over any of the alternatives. It isn’t a fun, super quirky and capable off-roader like the Touareg, and it doesn’t shine or engender nearly any of the fondness that VW’s smaller vehicles (GTI, R, Alltrack, etc) do/did.

It doesn’t have character the way we hope the ID Buzz will…..it’s just….a Mazda CX-90/KIA Telluride/Toyota Highlander/Lexus whatever/etc, but worse.

You’re buying an expensive appliance car, you might as well go best-in-class.

Edit: looks like the Atlas Cross Sport is the smaller two-row version of the three-row Atlas, and the R-Line is the top $50k trim. You have so many more options in that category/budget.

Like you could get a CX-50 or even maybe like a Lexus GX.

Edit Edit: it’s not even that much smaller than the three row Atlas, they just sloped the roofline. Car and Driver gave the 2024 model a 6.5 FWIW. It’s ranked 24th in their list of 2024 midsize SUVs.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 2, 2024

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Mr. Apollo posted:

I need to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2019 RS5. I’m looking at using GiroDisc pads and rotors. Since I’m changing to different types of pads and rotors compared to the front, do I need to change the front as well as the rear? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that it’s recommended to change the front and rear at the same time if you’re changing compounds.

The front pads are at 6mm so they still have a fair bit of life left.

You don't have the ceramic rotors do you? I'm not entirely sure if changing both front/rear is required if changing pad compounds, but since it's an RS5 I'd go full hog and get a set like this with your pad of choice: https://www.034motorsport.com/dynamic-plus-braking-package-b9-b9-5-rs5.html. These seem cheaper than GiroDisc from what I could tell and 034 Motorsport is one of the most trusted VW/Audi aftermarket brands.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

To be entirely honest and blunt, I don’t know why you would get an Atlas over any of the alternatives. It isn’t a fun, super quirky and capable off-roader like the Touareg, and it doesn’t shine or engender nearly any of the fondness that VW’s smaller vehicles (GTI, R, Alltrack, etc) do/did.

It doesn’t have character the way we hope the ID Buzz will…..it’s just….a Mazda CX-90/KIA Telluride/Toyota Highlander/Lexus whatever/etc, but worse.

Edit: looks like the Atlas Cross Sport is the smaller two-row version of the three-row Atlas, and the R-Line is the top $50k trim. You have so many more options in that category/budget.

Edit Edit: it’s not even that much smaller than the three row Atlas, they just sloped the roofline. Car and Driver gave the 2024 model a 6.5 FWIW. It’s ranked 24th in their list of 2024 midsize SUVs.

Thanks, not dead set on it as of yet but don't want three rows. We really like our id4 and the interior of the Atlas Cross Sport. Going to look at the other models you mentioned but canvassing earlier I think they were a bit more than I was willing to pay, gonna circle back around though.

Any input on the direct VW reliability question though? Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve owned 5 different Audis since new and never had problems with any of them. The only time I’ve taken them in is for routine maintenance.

Thanks for the feedback!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

TRIPLE REPLY, my apologies for making GBS threads up the VW thread with such nonsense.

Just got back and looked at those two models specifically. GX is three row and the '23 starts at $60K. Even the TX is a three row. As my three teen boys are growing, we're done with the third row as in virtually every vehicle the third row is poo poo.

The CX50 hip room is 53 inches and the Atlas Cross Sport is 57.3. The amount of space for these guys is really great. The oldest will be driving himself around more and more come April so we don't need to optimize for HUGE all the time, just for certain longer drives they can't be miserable.

Maybe I have poor taste, but the Cross Sport really is checking all the boxes with the more minimalist interior (just test drove a 23' Sante Fe and just gently caress that interior... oof), comfort, and space. I am not dead set on this, but haven't found a competing vehicle yet that we've liked and will keep considering any that I should until otherwise.

I'd say that Selling Price of $50k is our ceiling and prefer near the top trim of whatever we get.

e: I've overlooked the Honda Passport, rear hip room of 57.3, a little smaller than the Atlas Cross Sport but similarly priced/featured. Thanks for the nudge.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 2, 2024

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Any input on the direct VW reliability question though? Thanks!

My 2013 R, owned since '15, hasn't needed more than 1 set of wheel bearings and an intake carbon clean above routine maintenance/belts/fluids. And I suspect the bearings were from potholes and a curbs I'd hit. Oh I did have to replace the CHMSL for some water intrusion, and the keyless entry antenna in the car once came unplugged.

My 2019 Alltrack owned since '22 hasn't needed anything, but a door wiring harness needed replaced for intermittent communication loss with the body. Done under warranty. I did have to knock the plugs out of the bottoms of the pano sunroof drains, they'd clogged up and got some water intrusion on a turn as the drip tray had filled up. No leaks since.

I'd had a 2011 Golf's pressure plate blow up on me after 12 years and 145k miles, and a 2010's vacuum pump start leaking motor oil around the same mileage. I've also had to replace an ignition tumbler and a circuit board.

All of the above are manual shift, naturally, so I can't really speak to automatic transmissions. But generally I've had to do the most work on the cars 10+ or older, and even at that only a handful of "shouldn't have happened" type repairs spanning like 5 different cars.

If you're getting something new or CPO you'll have a nice warranty for a few years, my take is all the bugs should be worked out under warranty by then, if there are any.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TenaciousTomato posted:

You don't have the ceramic rotors do you? I'm not entirely sure if changing both front/rear is required if changing pad compounds, but since it's an RS5 I'd go full hog and get a set like this with your pad of choice: https://www.034motorsport.com/dynamic-plus-braking-package-b9-b9-5-rs5.html. These seem cheaper than GiroDisc from what I could tell and 034 Motorsport is one of the most trusted VW/Audi aftermarket brands.
No ceramic rotors.:( I bought at the height of COVID lockdowns and CCBs weren’t available due to supply chain issues.

I’m going back and forth between the 034 and Girodisc rotors as it’s only about a $50 difference between the two sets for me locally.

I think I will get the front and rears done at the same time. I had already planned for it so it’s not a surprise expense.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

No ceramic rotors.:( I bought at the height of COVID lockdowns and CCBs weren’t available due to supply chain issues.

I’m going back and forth between the 034 and Girodisc rotors as it’s only about a $50 difference between the two sets for me locally.

I think I will get the front and rears done at the same time. I had already planned for it so it’s not a surprise expense.

You are probably better off with conventional rotors as the ceramics are much more costly to replace. I've heard of folks having some screeching problems with them until they warm up, too I believe.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with Giro or 034 all around. I would do the latter just cause I love their products and customer service.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah I specifically stuck with the standard rotors and brakes on the Q7 because the ceramics were insanely expensive

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently Audi’s CCBs are pretty good as far as noise goes but yeah, if something happens to one of them it’s $12K per front rotor.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently Audi’s CCBs are pretty good as far as noise goes but yeah, if something happens to one of them it’s $12K per front rotor.

Gotcha, I test drove one with CCBs and noticed no unwanted noise, not sure if it's a winter thing or not. Might need the 034 tune with your brakes (I am a bad influence)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr. Apollo posted:

My old man had a Cayenne Turbo with CCBs and when one failed under the warranty Porsche told him they specifically weren't covered. Not sure if that policy has changed, but it's put me off any car that has them.

That and the fact that I've never had steelies fade under normal road use.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's honestly kind of lovely of OEMs to sell cars with CCBs that aren't specifically track oriented. The surprise replacement cost is criminal and there's just no need for a road car that normal people drive to have CCBs.

And even a lot of track guys take off their CCBs and run plain steel rotors on the track because CCBs are so ridiculously expensive to replace.

A very expensive solution looking for a problem in most cases.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Theophany posted:

My old man had a Cayenne Turbo with CCBs and when one failed under the warranty Porsche told him they specifically weren't covered. Not sure if that policy has changed, but it's put me off any car that has them.

That and the fact that I've never had steelies fade under normal road use.

I run my 5,500 lb. Cayenne Turbo through actual rally stages at pace and never have any brake fade. PCCB is an upsell in search of deep pockets. Totally unnecessary on anything other than a literal track vehicle....and even then not every one. When I was shoipping I specifically excluded anything that had them.

Also, I don't see why they would be covered under warranty. Rotors and pads are always considered wear items and they typically stick to that unless something cracks in half with under 100 miles on the car.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 3, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TenaciousTomato posted:

Gotcha, I test drove one with CCBs and noticed no unwanted noise, not sure if it's a winter thing or not. Might need the 034 tune with your brakes (I am a bad influence)
I already have their ECU and TCU tune. :)

The only real world benefit of CCBs I can think of for most people would be the reduced unsprung weight.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motronic posted:

I run my 5,500 lb. Cayenne Turbo through actual rally stages at pace and never have any brake fade. PCCB is an upsell in search of deep pockets. Totally unnecessary on anything other than a literal track vehicle....and even then not every one. When I was shoipping I specifically excluded anything that had them.

Also, I don't see why they would be covered under warranty. Rotors and pads are always considered wear items and they typically stick to that unless something cracks in half with under 100 miles on the car.

I think he'd done a few thousand miles in it, so having a brake rotor fail that soon isn't what I'd consider to be reasonable wear and tear.

Either way it wasn't a massive deal as they ended up taking the car back at a fair price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Theophany posted:

I think he'd done a few thousand miles in it, so having a brake rotor fail that soon isn't what I'd consider to be reasonable wear and tear.

Oh, I'm not saying they're right, I'm saying they're cheap and use any excuse to get out of paying for warrranty parts/labor. "It's a wear item" is just the most popular one for wear items with obvious manufacturing defects like that must have had to let loose so soon.