Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SirPablo posted:

I know this is a joke but it is loving tiring to constantly hear it asked by reporters with every rain event now.

that's why we need an arkstorm, to reset the 500 year timer and shut up the reporters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

did any chaparral burn recently down there? those san luis obispo landslides were a combination of a 100 year rain storm and oily ash from a recent chaparral burn. a burn three years or less is the worst for landslides:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10346-020-01506-3

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just looking quick doesn't seem like anything major in 2023. You should look back about three years though, which is typically how long it takes the burn scar to recover enough to no longer be hydrophobic.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

jortstorm is what you call the crowd at an alestorm show

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've been reading a lot about the impending Cascadia Megafault earthquake. The fault is about 75 miles off the coast of the PNW, spans Vancouver Island to Northern California. After the shaking stops, there will be massive tsunami that will reach far inland in the PNW, flooding and wiping away everything at up to about 100-150 feet elevation. The tsunami will reach Japan. The last time this happed was in 1700 (recorded in Japanese history and First Nations oral tradition), and we are due for another one.

I've started dreaming about it.

The scariest part is that in the next 50 years it is estimated to have a 1:10 chance in occurring. And in the next 150 years it's odds are 1:3

And nobody seems to care.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've been reading a lot about the impending Cascadia Megafault earthquake. The fault is about 75 miles off the coast of the PNW. After the shaking stops, there will be massive tsunami that will reach far inland in the PNW, flooding and wiping away everything at up to about 100-150 feet elevation. The tsunami will reach Japan.

The scariest part is that in the next 50 years it is estimated to have a 1:10 chance in occurring. And in the next 150 years it's odds are 1:3

we need the rain floodwaters

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Woodsy Owl posted:

Much like living in one of the prime target cities that will get hit with 50 nukes at once, you should only care if you don't live there

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've been reading a lot about the impending Cascadia Megafault earthquake. The fault is about 75 miles off the coast of the PNW, spans Vancouver Island to Northern California. After the shaking stops, there will be massive tsunami that will reach far inland in the PNW, flooding and wiping away everything at up to about 100-150 feet elevation. The tsunami will reach Japan. The last time this happed was in 1700 (recorded in Japanese history and First Nations oral tradition), and we are due for another one.

What would caring look like?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
During the 5-6 minutes of shaking, water-rich soil will undergo liquefaction, effectively becomig quicksand, swallowing homes and schools and preventing people from escaping to higher ground while the run from the a tsunami which will hit the PNW coast 15 minutes after the shaking stops

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Tsunami sirens in states and localities that don't have them, community tsunami-escape routes, education, preparing for weeks or months of sheltering in place

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Move schools and critical infrastructure off of land vulnerable to liquefaction

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

will costco be busy that day?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Earthquake-proofing retrofits of existing structures and neglected (all) infrastructure

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Are the sirens just to taunt people who can't escape down the now liquified escape routes?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Posting more also

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the only rebuilding that will be done is expanding highways to 24 lanes and moving a cruise ship dock further inland

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

I dreamt about it last night.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The tsunami will only get inlandish shooting up rivers and around nw washington. For the rest of the pnw coast theres a mountain range that'll block it

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm at the very south end of where it will hit and thankfully we already get tons of earthquakes so it won't be a novel thing.

I did recently move from sea level to 100ft uphill tho..

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
siren discourse again?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

You should really save some $ and consider this a 10-30% chance to get some primo pnw coast real estate in the future

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the entire greater seattle/tacoma area is extremely vulnerable to earthquake-caused critical infrastructure and building damage. they've just not had earthquakes (due to the fault catching, pulling, then releasing every few hundred years, as opposed to the constant small shakes much of the rest of the rim sees) so they've not had to spend the money like LA does

it would take way too much money to make the metro resilient, and there's even less money from the state going to all those towns out on the pacific coast. every single one of them will be inundated because they all built critical infra without tsunamis and tsunami evac routes in mind. i've heard a lot of them don't even have working sirens. seattle will be completely crippled, especially because of their geography limiting travel to just a few dense corridors like the i5 and i90. lots of people will die and it'd take way more money than any city council/mayor will ever spend to fix

titty_baby_ posted:

You should really save some $ and consider this a 10-30% chance to get some primo pnw coast real estate in the future

plate is going to slip lower, so actually there will be less real estate to go around after. better buy a parcel upland in hopes it'll become beachfront later

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SirPablo posted:

vote.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

IN this HOUSE
WE CARE

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Woodsy Owl posted:

Earthquake-proofing retrofits of existing structures and neglected (all) infrastructure

just get another tarp

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Red Baron posted:

siren discourse again?

Is that the tornado siren? Or flood siren? Or tsunami siren? Or missile siren?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Woodsy Owl wants to spend billions of dollars on something that has <1% chance of happening in my lifetime.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oregon coast has tsunami evacuation route signs.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djrUf9tz--o

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SirPablo posted:

Woodsy Owl wants to spend billions of dollars on something that has <1% chance of happening in my lifetime.

When a weatherman say it only has a 1% chance of happening, it's 101% happening for sure.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Those aren't very scary odds relatively speaking when you know what other things are going to happen in the next 50 or 150 years

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Those aren't very scary odds relatively speaking when you know what other things are going to happen in the next 50 or 150 years

oh so u dotn care??

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Every time I see "arkstorm" all I can think about is this:

Jortstorm

I, too, wish people would stop using that word.

Jortstorm would be an amazing dad rock cover band name

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Woodsy Owl posted:

There rebuilding the burnside bridge in Portland because its center foundation is a bunch of logs they pounded into the mud https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn98JkN5HXc

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are the sirens just to taunt people who can't escape down the now liquified escape routes?

i always thought sirens were to taunt lonely seamen into a briny grave but i guess this is kind of the same thing

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It’s more of a problem in Washington than Oregon because most of Oregon’s coast is pretty close to serious elevation but large parts of the most populated parts of Washington’s (like around Longview) really aren’t

Newport Oregon on the south side of the river is a bad spot tho and they built a building that’s supposedly engineered to withstand the tsunami https://marinestudies.oregonstate.edu/marine-studies-building

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

The tsunami will only get inlandish shooting up rivers and around nw washington. For the rest of the pnw coast theres a mountain range that'll block it

Yeah they aren’t worried about the tsunami in Portland because it’s only gonna get so far up the Columbia and I think even Seattle they except it to mostly dissipate in the strait and swish around in the sound but not the catastrophic effects the coast will get

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmrIydnXIs

the albatross about our necks

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

just think of all the cheap real estate after the quake. not like another gonna happen again in our lifetimes. buy buy buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

Oregon, and I assume Washington, have been doing all of the things you listed for over a decade now. Several large buildings on campus had seismic retrofits while I was in college 12 years ago. It's just not exciting so it's not talked about much. It could happen tomorrow or 300 years, and it's not like preparing for it is going to make it such much less. The aftermath is surely to be a massive humanitarian crisis no matter how well prepared we are.