Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

readingatwork posted:

I'm digging the hell out of this.

Also Japanese horror in general struggles to make people's reactions to horrific things scary rather than just goofy. I blame Junji Ito.

Yeah I feel you just kinda gotta roll with it being ridiculous sometimes. Surely the authors aren’t taking themselves too seriously either

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (April 22-29, 1945)

edit: also I got my poster! Yay!

Owl at Home has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Feb 4, 2024

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

I think the relationship between Yagi and Tsumugi is very sweet, he's an extremely good execution of the "cool uncle" character type (not actually her uncle, the relationship between Yagi and the Inuzukas is expanded upon in some of the volume extras, which I'm not going to post any of).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 23: New Year's Eve

I love the detail about the soba making blacksuit - if One Day Outing has a theme other than maxxing and relaxing, it might be that everyone is human and has a rich inner world, even if they're debt slaves or the corporate stooges that keep them locked up.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know what it means, but you might like it!

I do!

what is it

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

One Day Outing Foreman is so much fun I don't want to read Kaiji anymore because I don't want to break the magic of this adorable little slave labor camp

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

What is it with this writer and using bees as weapons? What an odd quirk.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Youremother posted:

One Day Outing Foreman is so much fun I don't want to read Kaiji anymore because I don't want to break the magic of this adorable little slave labor camp

I was a little worried cozy underground happenings would damage the stakes in Kaiji :v

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 53: Take Me Out to Kitano (Take me out with the crowd)

The tournament arc begins!

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 28: The Shield, the Wall and the Modest Soul

It might be worth noting there is an apology for this joke from the author at the end of the chapter.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sludge Knight

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I just saw this video the the Nick & Lever volume 1 cover and never before have my eyes seen such a perfect thing.

https://i.imgur.com/i3yIN5J.mp4

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Full frontal nudity (and a good cat)

There was a brief period in the early 90's where flip-up sunglasses were kind of cool. (Also being mad at a guy using the baby to pick her up is a bit rich when she's done comics about using the baby to pick up guys.)

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

-Ive recently slowed down and walked outside, seeking for inner harmony/harmonium

-I think that could fit.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butler posted:

I do!

what is it

Learning violin is such a weird feeling, like it's re-wiring my brain, so what if it actually was? And what if the music-learning process is actually a hallucination created to help mesh my nervous system into its new robotic shell 800 years after humanity has been destroyed/elevated/transformed/parameterised by The Event??
I just like cramming sci fi into as few panels as possible and seeing what happens

Owl at Home posted:

edit: also I got my poster! Yay!

Aww yesss! Redbubble isn't fast, exactly, but the print quality is always nice.

CheeseThief posted:

I just saw this video the the Nick & Lever volume 1 cover and never before have my eyes seen such a perfect thing.

https://i.imgur.com/i3yIN5J.mp4

I Require This Object

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm sad to report that the Department of Misc book that Tree Bucket sent me was probably lost in the mail, or also unfortunately likely, stolen from my building's mailroom. ...I feel bad because this might not have happened if he'd sent it to someone else, or if I'd checked my mail at the right time at some point.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Tiger, Tiger

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

<How long has this been here?

Well shucks goon, I'm greatly obliged. I'll pay you back with another chapter tomorrow, I'd do it right now but I just got into bed.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kennel posted:

Tiger, Tiger

I wanted to make this with the last update but it didn't seem right. This new update made it perfect.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DaveKap posted:

I wanted to make this with the last update but it didn't seem right. This new update made it perfect.

:perfect:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Best thread keeps on delivering

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Let it all out, kid.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Sweetness and Lightning is cute, and I appreciate it's non-skeevy portrayal of a student-teacher crush, but the way Tsumugi's eyes look like they have goat pupils really puts me off a little. I know the effect the artist is going for, but still.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm sad to report that the Department of Misc book that Tree Bucket sent me was probably lost in the mail, or also unfortunately likely, stolen from my building's mailroom. ...I feel bad because this might not have happened if he'd sent it to someone else, or if I'd checked my mail at the right time at some point.

It's all good!! It seems fitting that a copy of Department of Misc. got misfiled by some giant creaking bureaucracy and even now a guy named Stephen with an MBA and terrible hair is puzzling over the artefact that has come into his possession
I've been doing SASS for years and never had any trouble sending giant parcels by international post. But a couple of tiny thin books....

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

DaveKap posted:

:kiss:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Linked for full frontal

If incomprehensible horrors attack you on a plane from out of time, just give ‘em the ol’ drill hand

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed: 6

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 23: New Year's Eve

It is not allowed...! To climb the heavy machinery...! Happy New Year...!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Extremely normal question to ask, Musky.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 72

Hiatus is finally over
Chapter 73

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sludge Knight: The Young Mistress

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Velvet Gewgaw

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:getin:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

As promised here's some more Nick & Lever

Putting out bottles of ethanol is supposed to scare off animals I think?

This one could use some explaining I think? Nick has applied a "screen tone" to his body to even out his tan, what is a screen tone? Well, when you see something like this in a manga:

It's a screen tone. Rather than the artist applying light and shade across the page you can buy sheets of translucent patterned sheets, lay it over the area you want and cut it to size.

A few days ago Nick & Lever's author, Miyata Kyogoro, posted this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/miyatakyogoro/status/1752481825061298253

So, no Netflix deal in the work as of yet.
Now, I'm not an expert in the Japanese manga scene but I understand that authors like Kyogoro from the more indie scene publish through a website called fanbox. Here's a link to Miyata Kyogoro's:

https://fantia.jp/fanclubs/502997

I don't know how it works but my understanding is that Nick & Lever is still being published (for free!) as a webcomic, not sure if there are translations yet but I have seen new pages in Japanese floating around. The site is mostly in Japanese so I imagine it's not the easiest thing to set up but if you feel motivated to why not sign up and become a fan? Check out this bitching new year's art:

Also, big shout out to the English translator of Nick & Lever. On Manga dex the uploader is credited as boogal of Gikopoi Translation Squad, I hope that's the same person because I don't want to attribute their achievements to an unrelated third party. Either way, they're the one bringing Nick & Lever to the west and deserve all the praise.

And, as always, thank you for loving Nick & Lever.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for posting more Nick and Lever - and also the author and the translator.

Squidster posted:

Sludge Knight: The Young Mistress

I think these girls might be a bad influence. Also, big Chaos Wizard vibes.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 53: Take Me Out to Kitano

We meet an important new character, though he'll take a while to cycle down: it's Date Masamune, the one eyed dragon. He's the last more or less independent major daimyo at this point, though it seems he'd still rather be the Big Man in Kyoto, even this late in the game. Hideyoshi's got the whole rest of the country locked up now that he's taken Kyushu.

Also Nagamasu's astonishing survival sense is pinging bad vibes off of Rikyu: probably not a good sign.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 28: The Shield, the Wall and the Modest Soul

I don't normally like this kind of joke too much, but bringing in the last page fantasia gag got a snicker out of me.

An apology from the author:

Bonus pages:

Elvish barrels, huh? This is funny though, the Romans had tribal adherence to the Greens and the Blues chariot racing teams, Idazigians are team barrel, crate or pot. Very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

oh yessss
--
also loving the nick and lever extras