Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Where are the 5700X3D reviews, that drat thing released today and there's no coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Where are the 5700X3D reviews, that drat thing released today and there's no coverage.

I think I'm going to drop one in to replace a 1700X.

Does it come with a cooler? I'm using a stock Wraith, I wonder if box coolers have gotten any better in the last 7 years. Intel's new ones look pretty sick.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

Does it come with a cooler? I'm using a stock Wraith, I wonder if box coolers have gotten any better in the last 7 years. Intel's new ones look pretty sick.

The AMD ones have been better than the Intel ones for quite a while, iirc. The Wraith is very purpose fit and works to prevent throttling on the CPUs it ships with. The higher end one is the Spire, iirc.

If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, the Thermaltake Peerless Assassin 120 SE is like $20-30 and is more than enough for it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yay European pricing but that cooler is more like $60 here and the first listings for the 5700X3D are in the $290 range while the 5800X3D is up to $350 again :suicide:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

orcane posted:

Yay European pricing but that cooler is more like $60 here and the first listings for the 5700X3D are in the $290 range while the 5800X3D is up to $350 again :suicide:

PA120 is also 60 eur locally for some reason but amazon.de has it for 36 eur. Maybe the Deepcool AK620 is more reasonably priced?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

all X3D chips don't have coolers bundled.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

all X3D chips don't have coolers bundled.

That's a tightwad move for some expensive chips.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

better than it costing $20 more and coming with something that will be e-waste for 90% of buyers

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

absolutely no one buying an X3D was going to use the stock cooler anyway, it would have been a waste of money

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Which Wraith cooler do you have? The 1700x didn't come with one, AFAIK. The Wraith Prism should be good enough, Spire maybe and Stealth probably not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shipon posted:

absolutely no one buying an X3D was going to use the stock cooler anyway, it would have been a waste of money

Should I not? I was planning on it, after doing a hand-me-down / leftovers build where the only other new parts were $50 worth of RAM and a $40 case, only to discover that a 1700X is slower than I thought and get tempted to blow the budget and upgrade. My kids want to play Planet Zoo and other stuff that won't run on the Intel iGPU they started gaming on.

$249 feels like a pretty decent value, I guess I could cheap out and get a 5600X for half that but the X3D and 8 cores sure is neat.

Edit: I have an AMD branded cooler with an RGB LED ring around it that looks a hell of a lot like the Phenom II X4 965 box cooler I had in 2009. I thought this was a wraith and what came with the 1700X, but I got this CPU, cooler, and MB given to me by my brother in law and don't know the whole history. Rather than taking a photo and showing y'all, I googled and apparently this is a Wraith Prism. It looks like it should do OK with a 5700X3D?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 1, 2024

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: I have an AMD branded cooler with an RGB LED ring around it that looks a hell of a lot like the Phenom II X4 965 box cooler I had in 2009. I thought this was a wraith and what came with the 1700X, but I got this CPU, cooler, and MB given to me by my brother in law and don't know the whole history. Rather than taking a photo and showing y'all, I googled and apparently this is a Wraith Prism. It looks like it should do OK with a 5700X3D?

It might be ok but it might not boost as high. If your case cooling is at all marginal I wouldn't do it. I'd get a $20-30 cooler if you're gonna spend $250 on a CPU.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inept posted:

It might be ok but it might not boost as high. If your case cooling is at all marginal I wouldn't do it. I'd get a $20-30 cooler if you're gonna spend $250 on a CPU.

Having experience with tweaking a 5800x3d and 5600x3d: If boost is indeed set to 4.1GHz it can probably hold that with any properly mounted heatsink. A 5800x3d will clock down below that on a cheap air heatsink and an AVX2 power virus workload and that’s it.

This of course is assuming that the 5700x3d behaves the same way. I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

edit: though I live in Minnesota and I did all that tweaking in the spring so if you add say 5C ambient to go from a low 60s F winter heat setting to a mid 70s F AC setting you may be on a different part of that curve…

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 1, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

Should I not? I was planning on it, after doing a hand-me-down / leftovers build where the only other new parts were $50 worth of RAM and a $40 case, only to discover that a 1700X is slower than I thought and get tempted to blow the budget and upgrade. My kids want to play Planet Zoo and other stuff that won't run on the Intel iGPU they started gaming on.

$249 feels like a pretty decent value, I guess I could cheap out and get a 5600X for half that but the X3D and 8 cores sure is neat.

Paying more money on a budget build for eight cores and 3D cache seems like a waste for your budget scratch build’s use case. I would personally get the 5600, that’s still a pretty beefy professor and should support most games well, especially at 1080p.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

The 5700X3D has pretty low boost clocks in the first place, I think it will do fine. The Wraith Prism is actually a pretty decent cooler. (And like yes if the case cooling sucks it will be worse, but the answer there is fix the case because the GPU is probably way more unhappy about it than the CPU.)

The main upgrade with a cheap-ish 120mm tower is less noise. Twerk from Home, if noise isn't worth $30 to you, IMO a Prism is totally acceptable.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Twerk from Home posted:

This is pretty standard for chips with higher power limits, and the vcache makes the x3d variants harder to cool.

They don't want you using crappy downdraft coolers with these, even if the wraith line is a bit better than what used to get bundled.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

pentium166 posted:

Which Wraith cooler do you have? The 1700x didn't come with one, AFAIK. The Wraith Prism should be good enough, Spire maybe and Stealth probably not.

My 1700x came with a cooler, the spire i think judging by the images on google

I bought a all in one when I replaced it with a 5900x

M31
Jun 12, 2012
I used a Wraith Stealth for a bit for my 7950X3D while waiting for the waterblock, and it worked, but it did get pretty hot. I bought it for $3 from a local shop doing custom builds. I'm guessing they probably have a box full of unused ones that came bundled with a cpu.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was looking into upgrading my mid-range CPU from 5 years ago to a modern mid-range CPU. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 right now and I was considering upgrading to a Ryzen 5 5600.

What I'm wondering is, the same store that I was considering ordering the Ryzen 5 5600 from, sells a Ryzen 5 5500GT that looks like it has the same specifications but it's significantly cheaper and I can't figure out why.
Will I get hosed somehow if I buy that one?

I usually compare CPU/GPU benchmarks before purchasing parts but 5500GT seems too new, so none of the sites I like to use even mention it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked up what L3 Cache is. :downs:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 4, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're at the end of AM4, do not get anything that isn't an X3D part. So you really want a 5600X3D or 5700X3D or 5800X3D.

In most modern games there isn't much between a 5500GT and a 5600X, with some outliers such as CS2 and Fortnite where the difference is around 25-33% in favor of the 5600X.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Ryzen 5500GT is an 5600G APU with the graphics cores disabled. Since it uses the APU architecture, it's monolithic and not multi-die, so it has half the cache of a 5600, and only has Gen 3 PCIe.

I have a Ryzen 5500, and it looks like the GT is clocked just a smidgen better than it. Use the 5500 reviews to get an idea of perf. I thought it was fine for what I paid for it, honestly, but I was moving up from a Ryzen 3100. If you already had the cash for a 5600, I'd go for that.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 5500GT is just the 5600G with a lower base clock, so look at reviews for that if you want a comparison point. despite the similar names the 5600G and 5500GT are not similar in performance to the 5600 and 5600X - they are APUs and are a generation behind architecturally (and have less cache) which is where the real difference is, despite having comparable 'specs' in terms of core counts and clock speeds. the 5000 series ryzen APUs are not at all a good choice unless you are making an ultra-budget build without a GPU.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're at the end of AM4, do not get anything that isn't an X3D part. So you really want a 5600X3D or 5700X3D or 5800X3D.

Uhh...I can only really get 5800X3D in my country it seems and it's priced at literally double compared to what a 5600 costs, in every store, and whatever benchmarks I'm finding showing like...a 20% gain at most.
I'm not sure about that, unless I'm missing something here.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 5700X3D was just released, the 5600X3D was a limited release in the US.

I'd go for the 5800X3D if possible, but if not, the 5600(X) is also fine and will be a significant upgrade from your 2600.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the 5700X3D is literally days old, if you can wait a week or two the prices should stabilize and some reviewers will be able to quantify where it stands vs. the 5800X3D (and the 5600(X) fwiw).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll pass on the X3D's.

Even my 2600 is currently running almost everything I'm playing as well as I need to (1080p/60fps) and literally the only reason I even looked into possibly upgrading it is because I want to play Dragon's Dogma 2 and it's system requirements don't look promising at all.

The 5600 looks like a really good upgrade for a very good price, so I think I'll go with that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oops.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Jack Trades posted:

The 5600 looks like a really good upgrade for a very good price, so I think I'll go with that.

A 5600 will be a good step up from a 2600 but just keep in mind a couple of years or so down the road you'll have 1 more good upgrade out of AM4 if you get a 5800x3d. They'll probably be cheap in your country by then I'd guess are totally worth it for gaming so long as the price isn't too steep.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jack Trades posted:

I want to play Dragon's Dogma 2 and it's system requirements don't look promising at all.

Game system requirements are often senseless, don't make any purchase decisions based on those.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

do not get anything that isn't an X3D part.

Are the X3Ds really even worth all that money? It's a significant jump. There seems to be a "gaming vs productivity" battle between them, and I do a lot of both since I often run AV1 software encodes. Running an encode and playing a game at the same time is peak heavy load for me.

Truthfully I wouldn't even think of upgrading my 3700X but my FPS in WoW's current expansion city when doing nothing else is so much worse than friends with 5900X, 5600X, Intel etc owing to single thread IPC of Zen1/2. I really don't want to spend $250-300 just to fix that and not also go backwards.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll pass on the X3D's.

Even my 2600 is currently running almost everything I'm playing as well as I need to (1080p/60fps) and literally the only reason I even looked into possibly upgrading it is because I want to play Dragon's Dogma 2 and it's system requirements don't look promising at all.

Wait... The recommended system requirements listed for Dragon's Dogma 2 are for 4K interlaced 30fps? Who uses interlaced on a PC?!? :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Are the X3Ds really even worth all that money? It's a significant jump. There seems to be a "gaming vs productivity" battle between them, and I do a lot of both since I often run AV1 software encodes. Running an encode and playing a game at the same time is peak heavy load for me.

Truthfully I wouldn't even think of upgrading my 3700X but my FPS in WoW's current expansion city when doing nothing else is so much worse than friends with 5900X, 5600X, Intel etc owing to single thread IPC of Zen1/2. I really don't want to spend $250-300 just to fix that and not also go backwards.

The max clock speeds of X3D parts are a little worse than the clock speeds of non-X3D parts, but in applications that don't benefit from the extra cache, their IPC are the same. Whether it'd be worth the improved performance in WoW is up to you, but I guarantee you wouldn't go backwards in AV1 encode performance if you got a 5800X3D. In fact, I'm pretty sure you'd see a small improvement in that area. Here's a TechPowerUp benchmark proving that. It actually shows the 5800X3D as being slightly better than the 5800X--maybe the extra cache offsets the 200mhz drop in clock speed.

Any other losses in performance in non-gaming workloads with a 5800X3D are pretty minor. Sometimes the extra cache does actually help, and in some other cases it's an all-core load where the 5800X couldn't boost to its max clocks anyway. In single-core loads that don't utilize cache, you're missing out on 4.25% of your the max boost potential, so that's how much slower you can expect to be. it's not a big deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 4, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bofast posted:

Wait... The recommended system requirements listed for Dragon's Dogma 2 are for 4K interlaced 30fps? Who uses interlaced on a PC?!? :psyduck:

RE Engine calls checkerboard rendering interlacing for some reason

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

RE Engine calls checkerboard rendering interlacing for some reason

That feels accurate enough, neat. I thought checkerboarding had fallen by the wayside now that we have better upscaling tech?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it has for the most part, but capcom is hanging onto it for now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Are the X3Ds really even worth all that money? It's a significant jump.

For gaming, they're insanely worth the money compared to more expensive CPUs.

They're not worth the money for people with budget constraints who also need a GPU, if that $150 could step up to the next grade of GPU.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm pretty sure 3700X to 5700X3D or 5800X3D wouldn't be a step back anywhere. The big cache doesn't help with video encodes but Zen 3 is a bit faster all around, and the 5800X3D clocks just as fast as a 3700X.

OTOH Spending that much money for slightly better FPS in one area of WoW seems a bit silly. I have a 3700X and the game I play the most would benefit a lot from an X3D. The 5700X3D is real tempting but I have a hard time justifying that expense when my GPU is just a 6700.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Here's a TechPowerUp benchmark proving that. It actually shows the 5800X3D as being slightly better than the 5800X--maybe the extra cache offsets the 200mhz drop in clock speed.

For what it's worth, both TPU and Tom's benchmark of SVT-AV1 has been criticized by AV1 videophile community of not being a long enough sample video to allow the encoder to reach it's average speed. The benchmark everyone likes for this task is this one, though as codecs are in active development it can be hard to find versions/tests that use all the CPUs you may be shopping for. So here's a list of all the tests where the 3700x, 5700X, 5800X, and 5800X3D were all tested and you can just scroll down to the SVT-AV1 section. Results are interesting, because it shows the 3700X holding it's own against Zen3 in 4K encodes (which I don't really do) but being outclassed at 1080p.

My 3700X will fetch $90 on eBay apparently, I understand the value of buying the most advanced chip for your socket (I sold my old Ivy Bridge 3770K for an absurd amount simply because it was the performance standard for that socket) but I'm thinking in the case of buying a replacement CPU for a socket that's already been retired perhaps it makes more sense to not go deep on the 5800X3D but find something less that will fix WoW but save me some money to eventually move to a future generation in a short period.

My motherboard is the old reliable B450 Tomahawk that was undersized for firmware space and started cutting BIOS bloat to support more CPUs when Zen2 came out. My biggest concern with the 5700X3D is that MSI might not update this board for it, but it also costs a bit more MSRP than I was willing to spend so I was considering the 5700X/5800X non-3D when I stumbled across the original "don't buy a non-3D part" post.

Klyith posted:

OTOH Spending that much money for slightly better FPS in one area of WoW seems a bit silly. I have a 3700X and the game I play the most would benefit a lot from an X3D. The 5700X3D is real tempting but I have a hard time justifying that expense when my GPU is just a 6700.
I have a 3070ti but my FPS flying into Valdrakken is terrible and makes trying to get around the city's different levels (especially using the new flying physics) at times aggravating. Of course cities being a laggy mess isn't new to WoW but everyone I know with Intel or newer AMD architectures has FPS in the 50s while I average about 28. Searched posts around the WoW community and I've discovered that there's been a bunch of cranky 3700X users specifically about this issue, though I'm not sure if it doesn't affect all Zen2 chips (it's a rocky generation starting with that RNG bug at launch, specific Windows power profiles that were fixed in Zen3, etc). Some people claimed turning off SMT improved the situation a little bit.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 4, 2024

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Craptacular! posted:

I have a 3070ti but my FPS flying into Valdrakken is terrible and makes trying to get around the city's different levels (especially using the new flying physics) at times aggravating. Of course cities being a laggy mess isn't new to WoW but everyone I know with Intel or newer AMD architectures has FPS in the 50s while I average about 28. Searched posts around the WoW community and I've discovered that there's been a bunch of cranky 3700X users specifically about this issue, though I'm not sure if it doesn't affect all Zen2 chips (it's a rocky generation starting with that RNG bug at launch, specific Windows power profiles that were fixed in Zen3, etc). Some people claimed turning off SMT improved the situation a little bit.
I have a 6750XT, benchmark wise practically the same level of video performance. I am on a 7700X CPU though, and in Val I will get 50-60fps during busy hours. I was on a 3050 and would maybe get in the 30's. I went from a 1600 first gen Ryzen to the 7700X, so bit of an up there. It lasted a good long while though.

For storage, are you using an SSD or an NVME? I'm running WoW on a gen4 NVME, and let me tell you the difference to loading times is easily noticeable. I've been running Timewalking this week and there are very few times where I'm not the first one loaded into the dungeon and moving.

Big cities in WoW are just as much of a demand on storage as they are on the GPU and CPU. It is pulling up the data for every character and npc around you. That means the itemID's for all their armor and weapons, and then for players the transmog on top of that, plus the base character model and any customization's they have made. It's been something WoW has always struggled with as you mentioned, but can be overcome in part at least.

The X3D CPU's do help in WoW. All those spell and itemID's it can store in that 3d cache, and I've read from more than a few people that it does make a noticeable difference. Worth it over an non-X3d CPU? That is up to your bank account I'd say.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Koskun posted:

I have a 6750XT, benchmark wise practically the same level of video performance. I am on a 7700X CPU though, and in Val I will get 50-60fps during busy hours. I was on a 3050 and would maybe get in the 30's. I went from a 1600 first gen Ryzen to the 7700X, so bit of an up there. It lasted a good long while though.
My friend on a 5900X/3080, and a 3080 is a pretty significant jump in most games, and gets 50. He plays Cyberpunk tricked out and is happy, so I'm guessing it's not a video card thing, but WoW being an ancient game brought up to date over generations to be merely "old". All the usual caveats when Ryzen launched about IPC and gaming optimizations favoring Intel over the 2010s TickTockTockTockTockTock period.

As for storage, it's installed on a WD SN550, which was the "best" budget NVME in 2020 when I built this system to keep me busy during shutdowns.

quote:

The X3D CPU's do help in WoW. All those spell and itemID's it can store in that 3d cache, and I've read from more than a few people that it does make a noticeable difference. Worth it over an non-X3d CPU? That is up to your bank account I'd say.

Maybe I should just give up and get a 5600X3D and deal with negligible or even worse encode times, or suffer until the 5700X3D sells for $200. AMD has successfully backstopped the slide of prices with these new products, 5800X3D's were going for almost $260 at one point, I was waiting for a $250 Black Friday deal that never got below $280, and with the 5700X3D launching in that area they have sustained a $300 price tag yet again.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Ryzen 5500GT is an 5600G APU with the graphics cores disabled. Since it uses the APU architecture, it's monolithic and not multi-die, so it has half the cache of a 5600, and only has Gen 3 PCIe.

I have a Ryzen 5500, and it looks like the GT is clocked just a smidgen better than it. Use the 5500 reviews to get an idea of perf. I thought it was fine for what I paid for it, honestly, but I was moving up from a Ryzen 3100. If you already had the cash for a 5600, I'd go for that.
If the AMD page for it isn't lying, the 5500GT does have graphics whereas they're not listed for the 5500.