Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Love the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn't the director of Napoleon say that inaccuracy for a better movie was good? But that does feel like one of those statements that are meant to bring people to your movie to talk about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobjr posted:

Didn't the director of Napoleon say that inaccuracy for a better movie was good? But that does feel like one of those statements that are meant to bring people to your movie to talk about it.

I think Ridley Scott just said "go gently caress yourself" when responding to French historians complaining about inaccuracies.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I encountered "Jeanie Becomes A Mom" on one of Courtney Barnett's playlists and immediately fell in love.
Then they dropped "The Art of Forgetting" like a month after I went through a messy break-up and I binged that album so loving much. I will always love Uncle Carol.

I told them "The Art of Forgetting" was my album of the year on Instagram and THEY LIKED MY MESSAGE!:swoon:

lol, for me it was Pedestrian At Best from Courtney, though largely for similar reasons, for whatever reason angry indie/punk girl rock has been hitting a particular spot for a while, an acquaintance a while back told me I have the music taste of an aging lesbian and it’s stuck with me ever since. Muncie Girls, poo poo Present, Cayetana, and Hop Along were the other mainstays if they happen to be not broken up and passing through your neck of the woods ever (most are now defunct, go figure).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Biopics need one central theme that its going to revolve around or it becomes a mess trying to focus on multiple threads across multiple years.

Napoleon suffers from trying to have bits and pieces here there about French society and the revolution, the political climate in Europe at the time, his own career and his love affair with his wife instead of focusing on one thread to inform the historical narrative. It could have been a military campaign story, it could have been a love story, it could have been a straight up historical drama but it tries to be all three things and therefore succeeds at none of them.

He was also routinely made to look like a cuckhold, a simp and a petulant, petty scared man and flat out revises reasons for his actions as a leader. The other issue is that because of Phoenix's age you have a 50 year old man doing stuff that IRL was done by a guy in his 20s which makes it look like the time between the guillotine dropping and his heart attack is two years and it condenses some rather important aspects of history and events to glossed over footnotes.

For instance I'll spoil for anyone not familiar with history / the movie

We know that Napoleon was called back from the campaign in Egypt by the republican government because they were getting their rear end kicked in wars on continental Europe. But in the movie the reason he returns home is because he gets told by one of his bros that he's a cuck and his wife's been getting dicked down while he's away and so he tearfully runs away on a ship back to France to bawl his eyes out in front of her.

They also for some reason show his artillery gunning down civilians in the royalist uprising and its about 50 people charging into cannons. IRL it was 30,000 men or thereabouts who were mostly landed gentry and staunch royalists who were a mostly organized veteran force looking to reinstall the king to his throne and it was more akin to an actual rebellion rather than simply gunning down what's presented as the poor and destitute of the city. Its just a weird choice.

Napoleon was a weird, brutal and cold dictator but he was also a pragmatic, effective military commander, someone who revolutionized education, colonialization, modern warfare and the political system and who also by most historical accounts had a poetic and caring streak that was often unusual considering his military reputation and actions as a dictator. They make his coronation as this self aggrandizing gesture when it was more of a practical one designed to try and ensure some continuation of ruling regime in France and lend legitimacy to the rulers of France when it came to European diplomacy.

Most of these changes seem to be some kind of stupid modern interpretation that's completely different from actual history. I can understand choices like having him ride out at the battle of waterloo and him standing in the front lines in other battles because that's what audiences would expect to see and I'm fine with those, but to completely change the motivations for some pivotal events that we still see the effects of today is somewhat frustrating. It's like the script was written by King louis' great great great grandson or something.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I think biopics can absolutely play around with history and be inaccurate but to pull it off they need to be able to grasp the essential character of their main player and/or story.

Napoleon just didn't appeal to me since I'm less interested in Napoleon's ability as a soldier and more interested in his weird personal and political life. Also casting someone who you can't buy as older than Joaquin Phoenix as Josephine was annoying to me. The best Josephine was Isabella Rossellini in the mini-series from 2002. Toby Stephens pops up as Czar Alexander I, which threw me off since I also watched Black Sails around the same time I stumbled on that.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Biopics need one central theme that its going to revolve around or it becomes a mess trying to focus on multiple threads across multiple years.

Napoleon suffers from trying to have bits and pieces here there about French society and the revolution, the political climate in Europe at the time, his own career and his love affair with his wife instead of focusing on one thread to inform the historical narrative. It could have been a military campaign story, it could have been a love story, it could have been a straight up historical drama but it tries to be all three things and therefore succeeds at none of them.

He was also routinely made to look like a cuckhold, a simp and a petulant, petty scared man and flat out revises reasons for his actions as a leader. The other issue is that because of Phoenix's age you have a 50 year old man doing stuff that IRL was done by a guy in his 20s which makes it look like the time between the guillotine dropping and his heart attack is two years and it condenses some rather important aspects of history and events to glossed over footnotes.

For instance I'll spoil for anyone not familiar with history / the movie

We know that Napoleon was called back from the campaign in Egypt by the republican government because they were getting their rear end kicked in wars on continental Europe. But in the movie the reason he returns home is because he gets told by one of his bros that he's a cuck and his wife's been getting dicked down while he's away and so he tearfully runs away on a ship back to France to bawl his eyes out in front of her.

They also for some reason show his artillery gunning down civilians in the royalist uprising and its about 50 people charging into cannons. IRL it was 30,000 men or thereabouts who were mostly landed gentry and staunch royalists who were a mostly organized veteran force looking to reinstall the king to his throne and it was more akin to an actual rebellion rather than simply gunning down what's presented as the poor and destitute of the city. Its just a weird choice.

Napoleon was a weird, brutal and cold dictator but he was also a pragmatic, effective military commander, someone who revolutionized education, colonialization, modern warfare and the political system and who also by most historical accounts had a poetic and caring streak that was often unusual considering his military reputation and actions as a dictator. They make his coronation as this self aggrandizing gesture when it was more of a practical one designed to try and ensure some continuation of ruling regime in France and lend legitimacy to the rulers of France when it came to European diplomacy.

Most of these changes seem to be some kind of stupid modern interpretation that's completely different from actual history. I can understand choices like having him ride out at the battle of waterloo and him standing in the front lines in other battles because that's what audiences would expect to see and I'm fine with those, but to completely change the motivations for some pivotal events that we still see the effects of today is somewhat frustrating. It's like the script was written by King louis' great great great grandson or something.

The Russians burned their fields

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I think biopics can absolutely play around with history and be inaccurate but to pull it off they need to be able to grasp the essential character of their main player and/or story.

Napoleon just didn't appeal to me since I'm less interested in Napoleon's ability as a soldier and more interested in his weird personal and political life. Also casting someone who you can't buy as older than Joaquin Phoenix as Josephine was annoying to me. The best Josephine was Isabella Rossellini in the mini-series from 2002. Toby Stephens pops up as Czar Alexander I, which threw me off since I also watched Black Sails around the same time I stumbled on that.

100% agreed.

I think in this Scott had a fundamental misunderstanding of the man and it showed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bobjr posted:

I was really surprised Netflix One Piece turned out well, but the people in charge of it really want to make it as good of adaptation as possible.

Oda forced them to reshoot stuff and I believe had some form of creative control so they couldn't screw it up like cowboy bebop

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If it's worth anything I enjoyed watching Napoleon in the theaters, but like House of Gucci I'm not familiar with the actual source material & its inaccuracies.

Also like House of Gucci I had fun watching Napoleon when I thought of it as a comedy. In this case, Napoleon being a dorky, horny cuck. Alas, Napoleon didn't have a genius performance from Jared Leto inadvertantly doing his best Wario impression to anchor the film.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
It's a bummer we never got the Kubrick Napoleon doc

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/WithChem/status/1753639711690641679?t=JCcrictlhlbAkRop90k6rw&s=19

I've never been so invested in speed skating like this.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
That was a neat strategy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh come on, there also was like 10 years ago everyone was super invested in Apollo Anton Ono for the entirety of one Winter Olympics

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Qwijib0 posted:

That was a neat strategy

Yeah, it's smart for a few reasons even if the other skaters don't brain fart. Presumably you can draft in the back, so you can recover energy a bit. But also, there's that famous race where everyone fell over but the guy in the back who cruised to gold. So if she just hangs in back in first she either wins if they don't push (as seen) or she wins if they push too hard and all wipe out.

The other comparison is the chase mentality in these sports - it happened in women's cycling in Rio. One lady who wasn't highly ranked took off early and no one would chase her, because whoever chased would wear themselves out and lose. So the whole group just sat 10 minutes back or whatever it was until they all lost. It was really weird
Edit
https://velo.outsideonline.com/2021/07/anna-kiesenhofer-takes-surprise-victory-in-tokyo-olympic-road-race/
Tokyo, not too

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cycling racing kick rear end I'm so glad that Zwift exists so I can do it during the winter.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I really want to see that race with full commentary

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I found an article that says it was two teammates working together to get gold and silver. The one took off and the other in second place stayed in the front of the pack so everyone stayed behind her. It’s also young, not adult competitors, so not as much experience out there to realize what happened.

https://english.news.cn/20240204/81b9bc3490eb448fb6b86e1fc15b61b4/c.html

quote:

In the women's 1,500m short-track final, Chinese athletes Yang Jingru and Li Jinzi executed the "rabbit tactic" perfectly, sweeping the top two places in the event. Yang also awarded the first gold medal for China at this Winter Youth Olympics.
At the beginning of the race, Yang accelerated suddenly and swiftly glided past all her competitors before lapping the entire field. Over the next 10 laps, Yang maintained her position at the back.
When the final lap bell rang for Yang, all the competitors, except Yang's teammate Li, thought they only had one lap left, and they then crossed the finish line and started celebrating. Yang, who had quietly bided her time at the rear, emerged triumphant with a time of 2 minutes and 33.148 seconds, while Li secured a well-deserved silver medal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Random survey time!

I know some people love them, some hate them, some are indifferent. Do you have a custom ringtone or text tone in TYOOL 2024? If so, what do you use?

I am currently using the Harley Quinn theme as a ringtone, and the first three musical notes signifying a MK2 fatality as a text tone. No thanks to iOS 17, which has made it much more complex than it used to be.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

My phone hasn’t made a sound since Obama’s second term.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've done one custom notification in my life. I set it up on my wife's phone for when I text her. I think she quit using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9NSy86d9U

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I haven’t heard my phone make a notification sound or ring since like 2009. Hearing a cell phone ring or make a notification ding just alerts me there is an old person in the room.

E:lol I got a new avatar I guess

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Freaquency posted:

My phone hasn’t made a sound since Obama’s second term.

i was late to getting a modern phone and it's always been silent

i did have don't fear the reaper in the late 2000's

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

yo someone call me and listen to my ring back tone, it’s the newest nickelback

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
We're doomed.

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1754260418036474140?t=2tG91a7kjsjMr3gvNwhJaQ&s=19

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

*Cyberpunk 2077 theme intensifies*

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Random survey time!

I know some people love them, some hate them, some are indifferent. Do you have a custom ringtone or text tone in TYOOL 2024? If so, what do you use?

I am currently using the Harley Quinn theme as a ringtone, and the first three musical notes signifying a MK2 fatality as a text tone. No thanks to iOS 17, which has made it much more complex than it used to be.

This post made me go check my tones, which I basically haven't changed since I first got an iPhone a decade ago, and made me realize what a pain in the rear end it is to put custom stuff as a ringtone/notification is because one I used, an old classic tone, was now gone!

I have Constellation for my ringtone, and had Cosmic for my text. I have different sounds for everything else, but those are the only two that matter. Only, when I went to click text tone, it said "Cosmic" in the "None" section, which confused me. I clicked another tone, and the Cosmic option was now gone, nor was it in the "Classic" section. Cue me spending the last ten minutes figuring out how to get it back (This video ended up being a good guide) cause my mind is too keyed on what's my tones were, but now I've got it back.

I can't keep my phone on silent all the time. In obvious places like at work or whatever, yeah, but just around the house I like it to make the noise since I'll often have it just out of view or on a shelf behind me or something like that, so I won't see it light up and the vibrations are loud enough on their own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used to use the 90s X-Men theme as my ring tone, it's currently the Beverly Hills Cop theme. For text it's currently one of the built in ones but I used the "opening a chest" from Zelda and this axe sound from Kill Bill.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My ring tone is the entirety of the Monty Python Parrot Sketch

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My phone is silent 99% of the time, but otherwise I’m using standard iPhone ringtones.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I use the Final Fantasy crystal theme as my ringer and the metal gear YOU GOT SPOTTED sound for texts

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ether Frenzy posted:

My ring tone is the entirety of the Monty Python Parrot Sketch

Not the Lumberjack song?

Anyway, back in the days of flip phones and whatnot, or when we had a cell phone shared by the family rather than individual ones, hell yeah there were custom midi ringtones for everything. I know the family cell phone circa 2005 had the Indiana Jones theme, my cousin had Closer to the Heart at one point, and I had a slightly edited version Van Halen's Cathedral as my ringtone the last year or two of high school once I had a phone of my own.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I try to never have my phone make any noise whatsoever. SB and his sister are the only adults I know under 60 who have their phones making sounds. God I hate sounds.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Yeah, that whole new GarageBand crap is just so needless. You used to be able to just add a m4r file to your iPhone and you were done.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I have notification sounds because I'm not looking at my phone 24/7, but it's always either a single beep or a satellite uplink chirp - a very short and unintrusive sound.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Mario Bros theme

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I used to have the Phenocryst chamber theme from Torin's Passage as my tone, but that was two phones ago, and it's just not worth the effort to try to put it back on now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i think my first iphone was the 2nd gen one and i haven't used a ring tone or changed my background in that time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Do you people keep your phones shoved up your rear end at all times, who the gently caress ever just notices vibration without sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I keep my personal phone on vibrate at all times thanks to work. My work phone does have the ringer on but it's because I absolutely won't check it if I don't hear it. I'll also get another Samsungs or Android phone when I finally replace the Galaxy 8 I've had for forever because I need to be able to tell it apart my work phone, which is a new iPhone.