Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

lines posted:

I think they have souls, no? Just... really *weird* souls.

Personally, I believe the warp springs from the material, not vice versa. So I believe the primarchs genetics is what shaped and grew their souls. I don't buy that they where a bunch of warp energy stuffed into a meatsuit. Just because I dislike that notion, honestly. I hope it's not true anyway.

I would prefer to think of it as the emperor taking a small part of his soul and putting these small pieces of himself into the gene-engineered fetuses as a sort of soul seed to start it off. But they where material beings and their genetics formed their souls and that these souls were a sort of posthuman soul. Not just a warp daemon, which granted some turned into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Primarchs are just the Emperors Daemon Princes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
chaos should be a transitive phase.

the weird poo poo that comes between what is and what will be.

its required.

but eternal chaos? LOL

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

serious gaylord posted:

The Primarchs are just the Emperors Daemon Princes.

Right but as we learn from TE&TD he is definitely, definitely, not a god*.

In 30k. 40k TBC.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its required.

but eternal chaos? LOL

Just mentally substitute "Primordial Annihilator" where you see "Chaos" if that helps you get over this stumbling block to enjoying the grimdarkness :frogbon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

its required.

but eternal chaos? LOL

The thing is, the Cabal were right - Chaos would essentially burn itself out eventually, or transform into something different. The current state of the Immaterium is due to a) The Old Ones weaponising it to fight the C'Tan, and b) How loving terrible the Imperium is

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Personally, I believe the warp springs from the material, not vice versa. So I believe the primarchs genetics is what shaped and grew their souls. I don't buy that they where a bunch of warp energy stuffed into a meatsuit. Just because I dislike that notion, honestly. I hope it's not true anyway.
The Primarchs are definitely formed off of whatever local culture and belief they first encountered when they left their pods. There's a number of examples of them recalling being just light and immediately gaining a sense of self when the first humans laid eyes on them and it's why they ethnically resemble those cultures too.

They were just empty templates inside their pods with no specific imprints. Their personalities and "archetype" also closely follow the person or people that educated them. Guilliman is a prime example in that his adoptive father was also an excellent administrator.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished the book and thought it was great. No-one could have done it better than Abnett, and Keeble was in top form throughout-- some of his best BOOMs yet, but his Horus was really the star of the show.

I thought the third book delivered on every single page, but all three pieces taken as a single work, I could see why some might call it bloated. If anything, I think it's actually just being overly indulgent, almost too much, which is entirely fitting for the tragic opera of the thing.

I'm glad we got to spend some time in the aftermath. The fragment with the blinded dark mechanicum magos and her skitarii companion, clutching each other while left behind, suddenly dirty, afraid and mortal as the high has faded, was beautifully written and will stick with me for a while, I think. That last line, geez.

The end does a good job of explaining how the setting transitions from the "enlightened" era of the great crusade and into the dark ages of pre-indomitus 40k. The collective trauma inflicted by the siege and especially demonkind, has so fundamentally broken the few survivors on Terra, and so at its root poisoned the culture that will spring out of it it and into the rest of the imperium at large, that you can see how it could all go so wrong.

It probably doesn't go to poo poo immediately, but the Primarchs only stay around for so long, and sure, while they can probably plan the hell out of rebuilding efforts, there's not a single one of them with any understanding or empathy for the human psyche. They can repair the palace, but they can't repair the soul of humanity, forever haunted by both imagined and literal demons

Mankind now having their worst fears realized, and with the help of their infinite power of imagination, now being able to imagine something even worse, and so forever fueling the warp with their fear and trauma is just so incredibly, peak 40k. I love it.

Also yeah, obviously, gently caress Erebus, whatever, but without him we wouldn't have the setting we all love, so he can't be all bad. The worst person in 40k is still Lijah Cuu. Erebus might be second, but it's not even close.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Every day I get up and wonder whose existence I should ruin next.

Not just their life, because some of the entities are immortal, or already dead, and on top of that, death is no escape from suffering. I've killed more living beings than I can keep track of and caused boundless suffering to multitudes more. I've killed someone you care about, I guarantee it. I might even remember doing it, and if so, I'm sure I remember it fondly.

I'm a sorcerer, I'm an expert warrior, I'm the True Gods' most cherished emissary, and every entity other than the True Gods who knows about me hates me to the very depth of their being.

My name is Erebus, and I love my job.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Oh, by the way, if someone could post the afterword, even if it's just phone pictures of the text, I would be very grateful. It's not in the audiobook, and I can't seem to find it online

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'll always forgive my sweet boy Erebus everything for giving us the gift of finally punking Loken at long last. Dude should have stayed dead at the start of the Heresy. It was the perfect closing statement and a sign of how things had changed. Also he's just Boring Loyal Loyalist #735.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sephyr posted:

I'll always forgive my sweet boy Erebus everything for giving us the gift of finally punking Loken at long last. Dude should have stayed dead at the start of the Heresy. It was the perfect closing statement and a sign of how things had changed. Also he's just Boring Loyal Loyalist #735.

It's extremely funny that Loken gets all this build up as a Special Little Guy and you think "oh he's going to be some important Grey Knight guy post-heresy" but nope, dude just can't help being a lil bitch about his dad and gets shanked for it, and Abaddon doesn't really care all that much

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's extremely funny that Loken gets all this build up as a Special Little Guy and you think "oh he's going to be some important Grey Knight guy post-heresy" but nope, dude just can't help being a lil bitch about his dad and gets shanked for it, and Abaddon doesn't really care all that much

I dunno, Loken may not have survived the heresy to remain important past the fact, but he was absolutely crucial at the very end, as the chink in Horus' armor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if Loken only survived Istvaan 3 because he had to get ganked by Erebus so Samus could come into being. It’s a time loop, of sorts.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

While bloated I still enjoyed most of it.

Now that we have that out of the way, the announcements for Black Legion 3, Spears 2, lords of silence 2 etc. should be right around the corner… right?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
His role as WEAK POINT ATTACK FOR MAXIMUM DAMAGE for his dad does not even need him to be alive! Big E literally fought him across time and space, so it could have led to a vision of him in the empyreanat one point. Or even better, _Sejanus_, if we are really pulling at Horus Classic Flavor heartstrings.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What are the books that cover magnus' story?

His primark book, a thousand sons, prospro burns? Are there anymore? What is the sequence?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
There's a siege short story focused on him too, Fury of Magnus. Probably read last on that one though.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

It seems kind of like E took the warp presence of himself, cut it into 20(21) sections, and jammed it into baby bodies

The creation of the souls is the secret tech he “stole”

Big E coulda had sex 20 times but instead made babies with nonsense magic

The imperial incel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There were the sensei from earlier editions but the Inquisition are sticklers for the Imperial Canon Current Edition and killed them all.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
I want to pitch a series to James Workshop that’s the Ordo Tempus going back in time to make sure everything happens as it should, that would really just be an excuse to do some what if novels.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh that would be neat as hell. Non-canon adventures where Magnus thought things through or Perturabo wasn't an incel.

Well, the former at least... There's not a universe where that dork isn't an incel.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What if someone just shot Erebus in his face before anything happened

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bunnyofdoom posted:

We get the Farsight Heresy trilogy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Big E coulda had sex 20 times but instead made babies with nonsense magic

The imperial incel

Big E stands for Elon Musk.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh that would be neat as hell. Non-canon adventures where Magnus thought things through or Perturabo wasn't an incel.

Well, the former at least... There's not a universe where that dork isn't an incel.

A few hundred years into M.33, Horus and Sanguinius stand in an observation gallery overlooking a hall filled with work tables, holoprojector stations and cogitator terminals. Barely audible beneath the buzz of voices is the hum of immense data-looms at work, conducting battle simulations with granularity down to the individual soldier across theaters of entire planets. Human and transhuman figures merge into clusters, split and merge again, hundreds of bodies flowing around the hall as the exercise continues.

"That scenario was a bit far-fetched, I think, but it was interesting," the Angel remarks. "It ought to be wrapping up now, don't you think?"

"Not yet," Horus says, around a mouthful of sandwich. "Ezekyle told me he wanted to keep going, to see if he can outrun the planned material and find out what happens when Constatin and the twins have to improvise. In honesty I think he just wants to take the spotlight and chew on the scenery, but after all the tedious work he's done on my behalf, he's earned it."

"Good luck with that," Ferrus Manus interjects, crossing the gallery to stand with his brothers. "Alpharius Omegon live for this, Valdor too. If they had their way, we'd be spending all our time on endless threat simulations and have no time for accomplishing anything real." He points across the hall, to where the figures of Perturabo and Jaghatai are heading for one of the exits. "I expect the rest will bow out soon enough. It's good to gather and see everyone, but there's a reason I never survive the opening stage of these exercises."

Horus gives a nod of agreement. "There's some value in them. But I'll definitely be taking a minor role in next decade's. I think Roboute's due to play lead opposition, he hasn't in nearly a century."

"He'll grouse about it," Sanguinius says, pitching his voice in an caricature of Guilleman's accent. "Ultramar has gone from five hundred developed worlds to six hundred and eighty since these simulations started, and all these outlandish theoreticals have not translated into a single practical benefit for any of them."

"Russ is always up for it," Ferrus remarks.

Horus smirks. "And then we'll hear Constantin grouse, since Leman will spend the whole exercise drunk. What about you, Sanguinius? You'd bring a lot to the table."

"The Lion should do it," the Angel replies. "I plan to play Lorgar's role next time around. I had enough of being a tragic figure this time, and Ezekyle isn't the only one who wants to chew on the scenery." He smiles, showing all of his teeth.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Amazing!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Is there any sort of consensus on which Siege of Terra novels are actually decent and worth the time investment of reading and which can be skipped/read summaries of? now that the series has come to an end? I know ADB/Abnett/Wraight are always worth reading, but I see they've got some names like French, McNeill and Haley that can be a bit more... mixed in their output quality.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Erebus can not die! Only the actors who play him, oh yeah! *Stabs someone in the back*

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/04/sunday-preview-the-black-library-celebration-2024/

You want some new books? Of course ya do!

Next week is the Black Library Celebration, so expect at least a couple of reveals and teasers and a lot of faff.

But in the realms of pre-orders we have some good stuff.

First up is the regular version of Mike Brook's newest Ork book, Da Big Dakka.

The Special Edition of it has been delayed until further notice, and you can also pick up the Ufthak model at the same time.

Sad that the Horus Heresy is finally over? (Yeah right.) Don't fret because you can get The Art of the Horus Heresy next weekend.

Then there's also an anniversary edition of James Swallow's Deus Encarmine.

We finally also get some more AoS books after all that space faffery, with The Ghosts of Barak-Minoz by Guy Haley.

And in the category "Please pick better/more interesting Reader’s Choices" we have Riders of the Dead by Dan Abnett, and Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier.

Lastly, Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waaagh! by Nate Crowley is finally coming out in paperback.

Don't forget that all pre-orders (and purchases) from the 10th (and probably to the 17th) nets you the Black Library Celebration Anthology

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Owlkill posted:

Is there any sort of consensus on which Siege of Terra novels are actually decent and worth the time investment of reading and which can be skipped/read summaries of? now that the series has come to an end? I know ADB/Abnett/Wraight are always worth reading, but I see they've got some names like French, McNeill and Haley that can be a bit more... mixed in their output quality.

As a lazy fan based on this thread through the years I read 2, 4, 6-9 and don’t feel like I missed anything.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Riders of the Dead is one of the all time best BL novels, though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, a new Simon Spurrier novel? His ‘Fire Warrior’ is one of my favorite BL books of all time.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, a new Simon Spurrier novel? His ‘Fire Warrior’ is one of my favorite BL books of all time.

It's a reprint of an older book he did rather than a new novel. AFAIK Spurrier hasnt written for BL for a long time.

Lord of the Night was pretty well regarded back in the day and definitely informed where ADB took the NL with his books.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Stanley Tucci playing a live action Erebus would be cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MariusLecter posted:

Stanley Tucci playing a live action Erebus would be cool.

idk why but i sorta picture carlo rota as a good erebus.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Tucci has the right look for a 40k character though I think. If he was younger I'd say I could see him as Horus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kylaer posted:

And yes Erebus is always the worst.

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress Erebus with a rake :tviv:

Broken Record Talk posted:

Fuuuuckin’ Erebus! Where’s a good servitor with a box when you need one!

:argh:

Angry Lobster posted:

Also, gently caress Samus and gently caress Erebus, seriously he's the biggest piece of poo poo to ever existed

gently caress erebus. i know loken dying was thematically appropriate but ugh i hate that loving guy

wiegieman posted:

I love the idea of Erebus. How do you even become the guy who is the worst guy in the universe when it's this universe? It takes a lot of goddamn work, that's how.

Paddyo posted:

Can someone just kill Erebus already? That freaking guy…

habeasdorkus posted:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the book, I think we can all agree: gently caress Erebus.

So say we all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk why but i sorta picture carlo rota as a good erebus.

Casting call for MENACING, BALD MEN to play Erebus, Horus and pretty much all the 40k cast of any story and era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Reading a Sigmar short that came out last october, Of Blood and Guts by Gary Kloster.

I always say what I read last is my favorite such and such, but this is a super fun short story.

Two protagonist story of a brain-eating Ogre mercenary and a Vampire courtier who meet under arms but maybe become the best of friends. It's a really breezy short with two characters I'd love to see more of, especially the ogre who's genuinely quite funny.

Big recommend if you have some bucks to spend.

If I spread the word enough maybe Kloster could expand it into a full book.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 5, 2024