Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah probably not the best way to describe it since the brief amount I watched was at least a consistent character.

I'll just say she was A Lot and in a way I don't enjoy.

But I did watch the little behind the scenes things for each ep and the makeup crew did an incredible job and it's not easy for the actors to come up with a character on the spot when they've been in the chair for so long without any indication of what their new look will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m just sad we didn’t get Fast Grandma.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Eh. Unless combined with ex step grandma, probably woulda been one note.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kristen loving up everything with cassandra so badly is stressing me out massively

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

*Vine can I get a Waffle voice next week* CAN I GET A STRUDEL?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

kristen loving up everything with cassandra so badly is stressing me out massively

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and a big reason why I tend to prefer the seasons without the "Intrepid Heroes" is because of Ally.

They're a perfectly solid comedian and I appreciate their appearances on shows like "Dirty Laundry," but they're apparently quite drawn to playing characters that cannot keep themselves from loving up. Even Margaret had that thing where her ex still had her wrapped around her little finger. As a viewer, you're stuck watching the character deliberately accelerate towards an obvious wall over and over again, which has never been something I'm equipped to tolerate in my fiction.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I had very similar thoughts, especially with them describing in the latest Adventuring Party how as a performer they can see themselves screwing up, but know that they have to go through with it for the character, joke, and story.

But I'm also very curious to see how the philosophical question of "Should a person be required to proselytize their God/religion?" (Something that I suspect both Brennan and Beardsley would probably answer 'No,') will work with the idea that in the Fantasy High Universe that seems to absolutely be a requirement of a Cleric.

Kristen fucks up all the time, but I have a hard time seeing this particular situation as her loving up, and not "This requirement of her is hosed up."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I think a fantasy Cleric probably does actually have a requirement to spread their faith, especially when the faith is in "one car accident kills this god dead" territory.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Kristen fucks up all the time, but I have a hard time seeing this particular situation as her loving up, and not "This requirement of her is hosed up."

both things can be true imo

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The answer can be "Kristen should not be a cleric, and never was suited to the job." Which offers it' own complications to the story; but the fact she keeps on reaching for new gods and then neglecting them because the notion of having to perform service in exchange for power is inconceivable suggests she would never be good Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Warlock

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Servetus posted:

The answer can be "Kristen should not be a cleric, and never was suited to the job." Which offers it' own complications to the story; but the fact she keeps on reaching for new gods and then neglecting them because the notion of having to perform service in exchange for power is inconceivable suggests she would never be good Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Warlock

Kristen respecs to fighter, immediately beats the BBEG to death with her gainzzzz

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ally is a pro and the Kristen self-destruction supernova is the most interesting part of the new season. An eninently recognizable, perfectly realized dumpster fire.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dolash posted:

Ally is a pro and the Kristen self-destruction supernova is the most interesting part of the new season. An eninently recognizable, perfectly realized dumpster fire.

It's entirely well-done, understandable, and explicable, but I don't enjoy consistently self-destructive characters in fiction, and when Ally's at the table, that's almost certainly what you'll get.

This is not meant as smoke against Ally themself. They just like to do something I've never cared for.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I think part of what’s adding to that viewer anxiety is knowing the meta element of the whole situation. Converting the BBEG of the previous campaign as the climax of that story is just such an immense coup. Watching it be pointlessly squandered makes us question all those previous sessions.

It’s always hard to see an alcoholic drink himself to death. But if the guy doing it had miraculously received an organ transplant after a community effort, it would be so much worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like I don't know if I would blame Kristen for what happened at the end of the most recent episode.

As when I was watching it, I didn't think that they wanted her to join them in promoting the religion when they did.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it would be really funny if kristen hosed up enough that she had to change her class

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Magitek posted:

I think part of what’s adding to that viewer anxiety is knowing the meta element of the whole situation. Converting the BBEG of the previous campaign as the climax of that story is just such an immense coup. Watching it be pointlessly squandered makes us question all those previous sessions.

It’s always hard to see an alcoholic drink himself to death. But if the guy doing it had miraculously received an organ transplant after a community effort, it would be so much worse.

i think this is a big part of why it's killing me

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
NGL I'm not enjoying the entirely avoidable dumpster fire that is Kirstine, especially how much Ally is leaning into it... but that's ok - it is creating conflict that will drive the story.

I'm really keen to see the fallout after the next battle - Kirstine will probably be godless (again), Fabians house will be loving ruined and Adaine will likely lose the job.

Also there is something petty about not being able to take home strudel from the strudel dimension.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The only thing that has really bothered me thus far is Adaine’s financial situation. I think it’s believable that she wouldn’t know how much a mall job should pay. But her character is smart, surely she would realize that the job she got does essentially nothing to get her closer to her goals, and would not be a good use of her time. Every one else’s problems seem extremely difficult but “If I rolled 19s and 20s this might be close to possible” compared to “I’m a high school kid and I need to quickly make 3 million dollars from my after school job.”

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
she should just ask fabian for money

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
She should ask Ayda to invest $20 two hundred years ago so she has money.

All of the Bad Kids have some real world trouble they need to work through on the way to young adulthood and not all of those stories will stick with everyone. Adaine's is the classic high-schooler gets a job at the mall story.

Kristen does bug me though. It's not just she has a pattern of neglecting and abandoning her gods, since she's being called out on that. Keeping Cassandra happy and worshipped is a major responsibility since without that she goes back to being the Nightmare King (or just dying). Honestly saving the world from perpetual night should be a huge win, maybe she could've converted the Yorbies to worshipping a better night god.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Finished season 1 of unsleeping city. Holy poo poo what a season and that final episode was by far the best. Really shows all th3 cast at their absolute best. Emotional beats hit hard in a good way, but also the comedy was also hilarious.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The only thing that has really bothered me thus far is Adaine’s financial situation. I think it’s believable that she wouldn’t know how much a mall job should pay. But her character is smart, surely she would realize that the job she got does essentially nothing to get her closer to her goals, and would not be a good use of her time.

It's the 40% discount on wizard stuff that makes the Synod mall job worthwhile. Given the life of an adventurer, it's not crazy to think she might get a windfall and that's a huge chunk of change off the sticker price

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rougey posted:

NGL I'm not enjoying the entirely avoidable dumpster fire that is Kirstine, especially how much Ally is leaning into it... but that's ok - it is creating conflict that will drive the story.

I'm really keen to see the fallout after the next battle - Kirstine will probably be godless (again), Fabians house will be loving ruined and Adaine will likely lose the job.

Also there is something petty about not being able to take home strudel from the strudel dimension.

Ally's characters are usually dumpster fires, but at least they were believable. Bad breakups, lovely childhood and shitloads of drugs for Pete are things people can understand. Kristen having a lovely homelife and lovely religion? Normal poo poo people have seen.

I think Ally is playing a lot more towards lovely person than dumpster fire right now, and I knew people like that. Dumpster fire teenagers people understand and will still hang out with, lovely people just get left so they don't gently caress anyone else over.

I think giving away all her gold because of dragon madness is really what's killing Adaine right now. And I hope that golden bow forged by an Archfey is just a focus, not a component. Otherwise some poor former god is having to spend their entire immortality forging golden bows just so Aguefort students can learn how to cast a spell they might never use again.

Not being able to take home food from your job is pretty common in poo poo jobs like that, usually people just steal it if they work there in my experience. lovely fast food places being lovely and petty I think.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 5, 2024

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the Rat Grinders are going to be less secondary antagonists and more distraction. Something for the characters to focus on so they miss the actual plotting going on. They are designed to annoy the hell out of the party, but aside from spying by their thief, we haven't seen them actually act in any antagonistic way.

I find the cleric/god stuff pretty uncomfortable to watch, but mainly because I dropped the ball just as bad, it just took until sophomore year of college to hit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah as someone with undiagnosed ADHD until I was an adult, not forgetting/putting things off and loving up is a constant fight.

It is extremely relatable to me.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

It’s entirely possible it was just a throwaway, but I remember when it was revealed that Aguefort was going into the past for this season, a line something like “Let’s hope he doesn’t gently caress up the space-time continuum!” It keeps bugging me as the type of subtle thing dropped nonchalantly that’s going to come back in a big way

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

It’s entirely possible it was just a throwaway, but I remember when it was revealed that Aguefort was going into the past for this season, a line something like “Let’s hope he doesn’t gently caress up the space-time continuum!” It keeps bugging me as the type of subtle thing dropped nonchalantly that’s going to come back in a big way

Fig is gonna start getting messages from Ayda about bad poo poo happening lol.

Also wasn't there something about Ayda missing like the first 100 years of her life, while constantly reincarnating?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kloaked00 posted:

Haven't people been theorising that the timelines of events don't really add up, and the In Media Res beginning might be to cover up that that things didn't get to where they are now properly?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MikeJF posted:

Haven't people been theorising that the timelines of events don't really add up, and the In Media Res beginning might be to cover up that that things didn't get to where they are now properly?

Someone elsewhere was talking about how in The Seven it was made clear that Zelda and Gorgug were still dating when Gorgug was a junior, so maybe there is a bit of time shenanigans or just plain retconning going on.

Then again The Seven is one of the D20 seasons I haven't gotten around to watching so take that with a grain of salt.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Seven's quest was to get their GEDs; did Zelda just graduate early?

edit: No wait, that happened her junior year and she's the same year as Gorgug. huh.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 5, 2024

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Kalina trying to sell wizards on Cassandra is super suspicious. I can't think of a group of people less interested in doubt and uncertainty than wizards. It feels like there is something specific she needed from the mall and needed an excuse to get there.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Danger Diabolik posted:

Kalina trying to sell wizards on Cassandra is super suspicious. I can't think of a group of people less interested in doubt and uncertainty than wizards. It feels like there is something specific she needed from the mall and needed an excuse to get there.

My uneducated guess is that she wanted to illustrate Ally's character failing so that Cassandra would be more likely to listen to Kalina and act in some way she wanted, like 'retiring' or whatever. Having a disappointing recruiting trip (because wizards are sometimes snobby about the other magic classes that need a patron and probably would reject any religion pitches) and then having Ally completely bail on the trip (because she honestly didn't know she was supposed to come) would be effective. Seems like she pushed a little too hard, though, and Cassandra is having a meltdown that even Kalina would have preferred to avoid.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kalina is a braindead mckinsey management consultant brought in to “fix” a business whose rate of profit is completely flat (only one real customer but theyre unflaggingly loyal)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

Ally's characters are usually dumpster fires, but at least they were believable. Bad breakups, lovely childhood and shitloads of drugs for Pete are things people can understand. Kristen having a lovely homelife and lovely religion? Normal poo poo people have seen.

I think Ally is playing a lot more towards lovely person than dumpster fire right now, and I knew people like that. Dumpster fire teenagers people understand and will still hang out with, lovely people just get left so they don't gently caress anyone else over.

I think giving away all her gold because of dragon madness is really what's killing Adaine right now. And I hope that golden bow forged by an Archfey is just a focus, not a component. Otherwise some poor former god is having to spend their entire immortality forging golden bows just so Aguefort students can learn how to cast a spell they might never use again.

Not being able to take home food from your job is pretty common in poo poo jobs like that, usually people just steal it if they work there in my experience. lovely fast food places being lovely and petty I think.

Pete is interesting because in season one episode one they are basically at rock bottom, and he rebuilds himself in (largely) positive ways to the point by season two he's in a stable life situation. Granted he's got the relapse mechanic but he lately doesn't really push too far down that tract.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
i don't really feel like Kristen is loving up that badly here. I mean what is the expectation, that she's gonna get an entire group of converts in a single summer (bc that's how long its been since Cassandra was pulled back from the NK) while still saving the world? Then having Cassandra be so pushy about getting instant converts is also weird to me. Her gameplan around running for class president is honestly not a terrible one to get more young adventurer converts not that she's explained it well to Cassandra. Then there's the whole layer of when does the goddess act like an actual goddess? Does she have guidance she wants to give her only cleric? Or is she just going to keep needing to be babysat while making demands? Plus the whole, Kristen's literally a high school kid. Yea she brought you back from the sort of undead, can that not be sufficient? Does this teenager need to build you an entire religion as well?

I think they're also toying with this larger religious question of whether you need to be constantly proselytizing if you're a believer which is interesting.

Anywho I would've told Cassandra to take that Archfey deal which I think is going to be the end result regardless. In general I get the feel this is going to be some sort of Fey based plot between Fig's luck changing (usually a Fey thing), the archfey line dropped about cassandra, and then the clear finale going to be at the fey festival the Thistlesprings are hosting. Or maybe some sort of dual fey chaos vs ordered control thing between the fey stuff and the ratgrinders/super order robot principal.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i, too, would be a little pushy about grabbing a few more converts if it meant i'd die otherwise

to me it's less about the actual religious aspect of the thing and more that it just kind of sucks that kristen did this whole thing to save this person from thousands of years of torment and become her first friend only to leave her on read for four months

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

one thing's for sure: i'm going to take to twitter and make some very mean comments about it to the cast and crew!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Everyone hating on Kristen is baffling to me. She's still a kid, she grew up sheltered in a cult and is suffering from major religious trauma as a result. She has been instrumental in saving the world multiple times now and has gently caress all down time. She just broke up with her first real girlfriend. Anyone expecting her to be the perfect acolyte of any god is expecting a lot even if her goddess is one death away from the astral plane. In fact that would just make it more understandable. If Cassandra wants her to do something maybe she should offer some guidance on what she wants instead of just being needy the whole time and saying she needs more followers. In conclusion, Kristen has done no wrong.