Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

COLT Flight Plan

Welcome, I'll be the Colt Flight lead (Colt 1-1 "Breaky") this week. We have a 3-ship element of FAP (Peruvian Air Force) Mig-29S fighters from the 612 squadron.

Our objective is a fighter sweep of AO Arrow hoping to build on the great feats of CO Karrick last week. Karrick is on mandatory rest after celebrating her 4 kills in a flight rather... enthusiastically. We eagerly await her return but in the meantime there are more invaders to kill! We will be based out of Puerto Natales (SCNT).

We will takeoff from SCNT and go straight out at a full burner 30 degree climb to 9000 m altitude. From there we will form up and cruise at 600 kph TAS to COLO (WP1 in the 29 ENR mode). Once on station we will either divert based on ABM vectors, or continue to BULL (WP2). We will fly E from BULL along the width of ARROW towards HURACAN and reverse course conserving fuel and maintaining altitude until vectored. We will return to SCNT (Mig 29 RTN mode 12) or if in fuel emergency, divert to SAWG - Rio Gallegos (RTN mode 4).

JOKER fuel: 1.5 on the gauge
BINGO fuel: 1.0 on the gauge

Loadout
R73 - R77 - R77 - Center Tank - R77 - R77 - R73 , 100% fuel, chaff/flare even load.

I encourage all our pilots to familiarize themselves with the autopilot functions and autopilot reset in the 29S as it is somewhat fussy. Likewise be sure to note the use of single vs continuous countermeasures dispensation. The 29S has a poor stock of countermeasures and using continuous mode can deplete them quite swiftly.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

URGENT REPORT
TRIDENT 1-1 TRANSMITTING OVER LINK TO NAVY COMMAND

CONTACT RE-ESTABLISHED WITH SUBMERGED CONTACT. REQUEST ASW HELO.

(With the assumption that dispatching of Ecuadorian Navy ASW choppers is pre-cleared as per above post)

The Armada del Ecuador choppers are enroute to the location. They carry various retrofit systems, mostly a single launcher for a MK46 torpedo.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

TF 'Lanza' Mission - Operacion Baluarte

For our first rotary wing mission, we're going to sling load the supplies necessary to establish an austere FARP near the abandoned Dinibor Ranch, along with the staff to run it. The area offers full terrain occlusion from known PLA positions, and sets our Task Force up for resupply for future missions in this AO. We'll have the Gazelles and Hinds screen our utility helicopters towards the known PLA positions, and have them try to gather some reconnaissance with their sensors. Once the transport heli's are free and clear, the attack helo's will coordinate with the mission commander who may clear fires at any high value targets. The FOB we'll be starting from is the SB Magallenes on HWY 9, near Primavera.

FARP LZ
The CO of the logistics company scouted out the area prior to this mission being cleared. The weather conditions just happened to be similar to what we expect on game day as well, and in their opinion they feel this is doable. Please reference the attached photographs of the LZ that the EC commando company helpfully marked out with smoke:

The location is at -52.50105899023392, -72.34441962175376, to the East of the Northern-most small lake, and NW of the old Dinibor Ranch house. The Hueys will carry Ammo Crates filled with helicopter Munitions, and the Hips will carry in Fuel Tanks. One of the Helicopters will have to land and deploy the ground crew as well. Once all the cargo is deployed and the pax are disembarked, the heli's are to return to the FOB.

The Hips and Huey's will travel at a similar speed and stay within visual range of each other at all times during this operation, but avoid flying in tight formation due to wind conditions and the nature of swinging sling loads. If a PLA aircraft is dangerously close, our pilots are cleared to immediately cut their loads and go evasive.

Waypoints
WP0: FOB Magallenes 52.05614°S 71.43081°W
WP1: Mag 240 for 60 KM, 52.20512°S 72.27374°W , Visual ref: entering mountain valley
WP2 LZ: Mag 175 for 33 KM, 52.50146°S 72.34458°W Visual ref: South along mountain valley, LZ marked with smoke, near coastline, to the East of the northernmost lake
WP3: Mag 354 for 33 KM, 52.20512°S 72.27374°W Visual ref: Same way you came, leaving mountain valley
WP4 (FOB): Mag 60 for 60 KM, 52.05614°S 71.43081°W

Reconaissance/Screen
The Hinds and Gazelle's task will be to screen for our utility helicopters, scout out the PLA 4th BDE, collect images and SIGINT of [OOC: take screenshots through your optics and get pictures of your RWR from a known position) and on the PLA front-line units. In the case that a high value target is identified, the package commander has the final call on whether to prosecute that target. Recon vics, SAM's, ZU-23's, and similarly valuable equipment are considered allowable targets at the commander's discretion, but our priority is ensuring the PLA don't pick up on the establishment of the FARP, so make sure the attack isn't happening from that general direction. Recommend at least one helicopter carries a pair of A2A weapons in case the PLA dispatch any aircraft to investigate. Return to FOB Magallenes once the objectives have been accomplished. Weapon loadouts are at discretion of flight leads

Waypoints
WP1: Mag 207 for 27 KM, 52.24275°S 71.68715°W, Visual ref: Small Lake in mountainous, forested terrain
WP2: Center of Recce/Screen zone, Mag 212 for 29 KM, 52.42377°S 71.98979°W, visual ref: Small North/South river, prominent hill to the East
WP1: Mag 33 for 29KM, 52.24275°S 71.68715°W, Visual ref: Small Lake in mountainous, forested terrain
WP4 (FOB): Mag 27 for 27 KM, 52.05614°S 71.43081°W

Sign up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=1684329869 !

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

General Humberto, EA

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The tabletop RPG in this game's universe starts today at 1900 Eastern US time, it will be streamed in Air Goons Discord.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051568

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
FORD BRIEFING

Ford's usual Lead is out on leave this week in Rio Gallegos. Last I heard the MP's were looking for him but nobody could clarify as to why they were looking for him. So, I'll hop in Ford 1-1's seat this week. We're tasked with striking the PLA's 3rd BDE and if it weren't for the weather I'd say this was a milk run.

The plan is pretty straight forward

Ford will depart from Rio Chico Aerodrome, head to PLATE while climbing to 16,000, turn southwest to the IP and fly almost directly south to the target point. Once winchester we will fly PLATE to home. HWY 288 curves southwest and the PLA 3rd BDE should be spread out across a dry river bed perpendicular to that highway. The main issue will be the cloud cover, though. As in, we won't be picking our targets. Cloud cover doesn't start breaking until around 9,000 ft so we will be at the mercy of mother nature as to what targets we will be able to hit through the holes in the cloud cover, if any. I suggest setting your radar altimeter warning to 3000 ft, at minimum. Make it one of the first instruments you turn on because we're going to be flying through soup for most of this mission.

LOADOUT

I wanted to go Mk-82's but the weather doesn't permit it. Zuni's will be better for low level hunting.

Good luck. We're going to need it for this one.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

Kaal posted:

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Welcome to the fight, Admiral Flibberflab. We were very happy to hear that the HMS Invincible is once more underway. I'm glad that our naval liaison officer and various forms of assistance were put to good use. I am certain that we can make good use of your expertise and the unique capabilities of the Harrier GR.9s and their expert pilots that will be cooperating with our forces. Together, we shall push back the invaders!

There are a number of potential Argentinean air bases that you should consider:

The one nearest to the HMS Invincible is the Puerto San Julián Airbase. You may already be familiar with it! There should be ample hangar space available right now, as it is only hosting our Super Étendard strike fighters of Dodge flight. However, the 2,400 m runway is likely superfluous to your needs, and it is located some distance from the front lines of AO Arrow.

If your Flying Captain would prefer somewhere where they could make themselves at home, I would offer the newly founded Naval Air Station Piedrabuena at Cmte Luis Piedrabuena Airport. Located a short drive from Santa Cruz, it is a small air station with a short runway, but neither of those would present your jumpjets with much difficulty. No other squadron is located there apart from naval ground crews, which would allow the Royal Navy to establish themselves fully and reduce the possibility for international friction.

Finally, there is the option of temporarily settling at Santa Cruz Airport, Rio Gallegos, or one of the other facilities, while a FARP is developed for your specific needs. Currently Naval Supply Command is coordinating with the Combined Armies to develop a FARP base in the vicinity of Bella Vista, Argentina - a small town near Ruta 40 and the Rio Turbio Railway. It may take some time, you'd be far from the coast, and forced to rub elbows with Army helicopter pilots, but you'd be right in the middle of the campaign theatre.

My recommendation would be EAN Piedrabuena, as it would seem to best meet your needs and those of CSAD, but you are welcome to consider any of the options.

Glad to have you and the 801st,
Adm. Sampaio

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Ileana, I thank you for your swift response and warm words of welcome.

I find the notion of stationing the 801st anywhere but in closest reasonable proximity to the fight a lamentable squandering of resources. Ergo, I propose initially stationing at Rio Gallegos, and decanting to a FARP as the frontline develops. The runway will give our Gr.9's a chance to stretch their wings and alleviate any lethargy accrued having been stuck watching seamen toil these past months.

Permit me to add, in due deference, that while the pilots of this generation may deploy this region afresh, the banner of the 801st does not. I should seek to avoid airbase cohabitation from the outset to mitigate any off duty wet interactions between our fine young fighting men over deeds of their fathers.

Separately, might I enquire whether any thought has yet been given to the command structure under which the 801st might temporarily attach, or am I to infer from your reply that they shall operate under the aegis of your distinguished authority?

Sincerely and with Regard,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

P.S. I understand your forces are staged for an imminent operation; permit me to confess that a profound vexation assails me in contemplating our absence from the forthcoming fray. Strength and fortitude to you, dear Admiral.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ah yes, the British attempting to continue the tradition of losing harriers (and harrier support equipment) to enemy missile attacks by jamming them into the already-crowded-as-gently caress Rio Gallegos. Maybe we can overfly their welcome with Super Etendards too just so they feel really welcome.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Okay, Tigers, I know we made the above our logo, but maybe command is taking it too literally.

UZI Flight is tasked to do CAP this week. Maybe the J-7s stay home due to the poor weather and no one else comes out to play, and we just get to log this as a flight in inclement weather in our books. I know some of you wanted to keep supporting the ground troops in the fight, but command is worried about fighters slipping through our airspace.

Mission plan below. Ensure you know how to use your radar, it's likely to be the only way we spot anything, even with a GCI talk on and inside 5-10 NM where you might pick them up visually on a clear day. Orbit point is BOCA, which is roughly 45 degrees for 47 NM. If there's a weather or combat related separation, treat that as rally point. BPT let GCI drive us around as they need to.

Note: Both the J-11 and MiG-29 show up as "29" on our RWR last I checked, and we have friendly 29s flying through our AO. But we also might have J-11s show up. War is hell.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ABM Comms
Pontiac, Colt, and Uzi with Condor (elendil) on 261
Ford and Dodge with Buzzard (wrath) on 262
Jedi and Rattler with Vulture (davin) on 263

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Quoting this for reminder for the instrument approaches.

Aero737 posted:

Air Traffic Control

Hello, I will be herding cats... I mean performing air traffic control duties during this campaign. My primary responsibility is to safely get each flight into the air, back to base, and avoid flights smashing into each other midair (CFITs are on you though). Air traffic control will be on a unified frequency of 260.00mhz, however, additional frequencies may be opened to help segregate ground operations from air operations or to decongest frequencies over large geographies.

For our first mission, ATC will be controlling both El Calafate, Peurto Natales, and Rio Gallagos airports. Santa Cruz will be uncontrolled.

With weather being below VFR minimums, expect instrument approaches into your respective airfields.

El Calafate

Terminal controlled airspace exists Ground - 4500ft within 15nm of the airfield and 2000ft - FL135 within 30nm of the airport. The minimum safe altitude (MSA) within 25nm of the airport is 9100 ft to the south and west of the 130 and 310 TACAN radials and 6200 fto the north and east of the same radials.

The apron is uncontrolled. Do not call for startup, you will startup following your flight lead. You will contact ATC holding short of taxiway B. If you require pushback onto taxiway B, contact ATC prior to pushback. The standard RW 07 departure will involve an intersection departure at Taxiway B (6,280 feet of available runway) or Runway 25 back taxi. Advise ATC if unable to accept.

Expect to be given radar vectors while in controlled airspace.

TACAN is avaiable on 87X

VOR-TACAN approach is available. Plates have been provided to assist with instrument approaches. The transition Altitude is 7000ft.

Natales

High terrain directly in the approach path of Runway 28 makes this a challenging airport. MSA within 25nm of the airport is 9600 ft.

Contact ATC when ready to taxi. Expect to back taxi for departure.

Departure has required minimum climb gradients of 500 per NM. Expect radar vectors on departure.

TACAN is available on 26X

VOR-TACAN approach is available. Plates have been provided to assist with instrument approaches. Transition Altitude is 10,000ft. Note that the approach path is offset 30 degrees from runway 28 centerline. Runway 10 circle to land authorized to the south west only.

Rio Gallegos

Terminal controlled airspace exists Ground - FL055 within 15nm of the airfield and FL055 - FL145 within 40nm of the airport. MSA within 25nm of the airport is 3000 ft.

Both the commercial and military aprons are uncontrolled. Do not call for startup, you will startup following your flight lead. You will contact ATC holding short of taxiway A or C. The standard RW 07 departure will involve an intersection departure at Taxiway A (8,410 feet of available runway) or RW 25 full length. Advise ATC if unable to accept.

Expect radar vectors on departure.

TACAN is avaiable on 69X.

VOR-TACAN approach is available. Plates have been provided to assist with instrument approaches. Transition Altitude is 3,000ft. Expect to fly the DME arc after the IAF :getin:

More details on how to fly a TACAN approach coming soon.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Teniente Primero Philip Vasquez
Battery Commander, ASTROS Battery
Argentine Army Artillery

"Sir, our anti-ship ASTROS Battery had major jamming issues, all comms down for estimated 1 hour and 30 minutes. Request further guidance on launch instruction on PLAN Fleet, launchers ready to fire"

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 3, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Argentine Army Artillery

"Sir, our anti-ship ASTROS Battery had major jamming issues, all comms down for estimated 1 hour and 30 minutes. Request further guidance on launch instruction on PLAN Fleet, launchers ready to fire"

Focus fire on the Hanghzou flagship, the largest signature in the center of the PLAN 1st Fleet. Volley 2 missiles every 7 seconds with a course deviation of 10 degrees left and right for each missile, to have the CIWS slewing back and forth. Shoot and scoot, vacate the position as soon as your last missile is away and return to the SB Bolsa de Tenancia for re-arm to MLRS ground attack cartridges

General Humberto, EA

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

URGENT TRANSMISSION OVER LINK

TRIDENT 1-1 HAS CONTACT TYPE 091 SUBMARINE VERY PROBABLE, GUIDING ASW CHOPPERS TO IT

The Argentine Navy P-3 has the sub in sight, it communicates it to the ASW choppers.

The Ecuadorian chopper flies in.

The MK46 torpedo falls into the water.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 4, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Focus fire on the Hanghzou flagship, the largest signature in the center of the PLAN 1st Fleet. Volley 2 missiles every 7 seconds with a course deviation of 10 degrees left and right for each missile, to have the CIWS slewing back and forth. Shoot and scoot, vacate the position as soon as your last missile is away and return to the SB Bolsa de Tenancia for re-arm to MLRS ground attack cartridges

General Humberto, EA

Argentine Army Artillery

"Sir, we have anti-land range of 10.8 to 32 nm, but an anti-surface range of 10.8 to 12 nm. Was the PLAN surface fleet that close? We are unable to get a solution on it. Unable to launch in bearing mode, ASTROS will not accept that launch condition"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TRIDENT 1-1 TRANSMITTING OVER LINK

GOOD HIT GOOD HIT SUBMERGED VESSEL STRUCK BY TORPEDOS FROM ASW CHOPPER WITNESS LARGE UNDERWATER EXPLOSION TURNING THROUGH EAST TO NORTH TO EGRESS

Only few minutes later, contact is lost with Trident 1-1.

This transmission series was analyzed later: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FaKqEcPUXUxhYY0o_zg8gRqH8cWhNgP/view

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Vahakyla posted:

Only few minutes later, contact is lost with Trident 1-1.

Shot down over enemy territory, the brave crew of Trident 1-1 may have survived their close encounter with a surface to air missile, but will they escape from deep behind enemy lines? Join us Friday Feb 9th at 2000 Eastern in Arma 3 to see if you have what it takes to survive, evade, resist, and escape.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Angry Brit posted:

Ileana, I thank you for your swift response and warm words of welcome.

I find the notion of stationing the 801st anywhere but in closest reasonable proximity to the fight a lamentable squandering of resources. Ergo, I propose initially stationing at Rio Gallegos, and decanting to a FARP as the frontline develops. The runway will give our Gr.9's a chance to stretch their wings and alleviate any lethargy accrued having been stuck watching seamen toil these past months.

Permit me to add, in due deference, that while the pilots of this generation may deploy this region afresh, the banner of the 801st does not. I should seek to avoid airbase cohabitation from the outset to mitigate any off duty wet interactions between our fine young fighting men over deeds of their fathers.

Separately, might I enquire whether any thought has yet been given to the command structure under which the 801st might temporarily attach, or am I to infer from your reply that they shall operate under the aegis of your distinguished authority?

Sincerely and with Regard,

Montgomery Flibberflab
Admiral, Royal Navy
HMS Invincible

Thank you Montgomery,

The readiness of your troops to help shoulder this war does them credit admiral, and we very much appreciate it. The willingness of Britain to support Argentina and the rest of the Council of South American Defense in our hour of need will go down in history.

In consultation with CACC Air Commander Gen. Castillo, and subject to the overall authority of CSAD Supreme Commander Gen. Carlos, it has been determined that your Royal Navy squadron would best attach to the Naval Aviation Command of the South American Combined Armada (SACA), under my leadership. I can assure you that they will find themselves right at home alongside our sailors and naval aviators. In the event of a larger commitment of British military forces, we should of course revisit this arrangement and establish an independent area of operational responsibility.

In the meantime, we will begin preparing Rio Gallegos for the imminent arrival of the gallant 801st aviators and their BAe GR.9 Harriers. It will be a bit close quarters, as dozens of F-5 Tiger IIs are already stationed there as part of 1st Fighter Squadron, as well as a number of C-130s from the 2nd Troop Transport Group; but surely your aviators must be used to close quarters as carrier pilots, and it will be a temporary inconvenience. Yet I agree that establishing a separate airbase for your troops would be a wise decision - for is it not said that good fences make good neighbors? Once your Flying Captain has arrived and the squadron has settled itself, we can begin cooperating on the siting and rapid construction of FARP Bella Vista. I'd suggest that they conduct a leader's recon as soon as they are able to do so.

Welcome once again admiral, we need your fighting spirit along with your courageous armed forces,

Adm. Sampaio

FARP Survey ATO Details Attached: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524&pagenumber=25#post537409224

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 5, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AAR:

Took off, flew CAP, RTB'd. No shots fired, no losses or damage to aircraft.

What went well:
-nav to CAP point was easy, and did 20 NM oval CAP from boca without incident; wingmen kept formation and communicated well.
-Practiced a more "proper" radial approach to landing instead of zip zooming through clouds and cranking 6 Gs to drop speed and punch down. Uses more fuel and time, but a bit safer and more professional than the "send it" approach.
-I finally bound the RWR search/threat toggle to my joystick (IRL it is a switch/indicator on the console in front of you), and boy it sure is nice to have bound.

What could go better:
-Still having the crew chief try to find some kind of fuel issue in one of the F-5s. No major issue, just RTB'd maybe 5 minutes earlier than would have otherwise, but most every other flight was returning by then anyway
-Our CAP oval slightly overlapped with Colt, who descended due to cloud cover at their altitude block, without or knowledge. Had visual on them, but did pass within about 900 feet of a Colt aircraft during the turn from cold to hot on our CAP turnaround point.
-I forgot to check in on 260 before we landed. I had SA on where the other flights were that would be landing at Gallegos based on comms, but ATC disapproves of this kind of radical behavior.

Flight Summary:
Most of the view

3 (Prime) off my wing in a turn

Pissing off ground crew

Hard parking (at least one of us must drive a VW GTI, though crew chief refuses to put "stance" on the rear gear.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Argentine Army Artillery

"Sir, we have anti-land range of 10.8 to 32 nm, but an anti-surface range of 10.8 to 12 nm. Was the PLAN surface fleet that close? We are unable to get a solution on it. Unable to launch in bearing mode, ASTROS will not accept that launch condition"

Puta, my staff reviewed our documentation and the spec sheet I received was for the Speculative capabilities of the platform... Apparently, that's not the actual munitions that were delivered to us. Return to SB Magallenes, and switch to the SS-60 60 km range MLRS cartridges. As soon as the weather eases up, I have a long range strike target for you.. we're going to take our shot at the PLA MLRS. Set up your AV-CBO radar vehicle to look for PLA rocket artillery signatures, and return a full volley on their location once they fire. We know they were previously deployed on the northern tip of TDF, so be aware of any fire from that direction.

In the meantime, the Army has a request. It would be really swell if USSOUTHCOM or one of our other partner nations can see if they can gather any satellite (or other) reconnaissance on the area around Franco Bianco airport, it seems to be busy and turned into a traffic hub for PLA logistics, and it sure would be a shame if we dropped 300mm DPICM in the important bits, wouldn't it? :getin:

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Jedi/Rattler AAR
Mission accomplished and all aircraft returned to base undamaged. Excellent work by all pilots.

Strong coordination via constant communication throughout the sortie enabled our success. Jedi effectively probed enemy air defenses along the planned route, identified a high concentration of SA-11 sites via HSD pre-planned threat steerpoints, and confirmed this concentration via RWR warnings. Jedi and Rattler flight leads adjusted the bridge strike attack plan to approach from a less defended vector. Jedi effectively suppressed two SA-11 batteries prior to and during Rattler's engagement. One SA-11 battery targeted Rattler while they were dropping bombs, but a HARM had already been fired at the launcher 36 seconds before it launched its missile. The HARM impacted 42 seconds later and the enemy missile was nowhere near its target when it self-destructed.

Jedi fired 4x AGM-88C HARM and destroyed the following units:
  • 2x SA-11 TELAR
  • 2x HQ7 launcher
  • 1x Ural-4320
  • 2x Ural-375
  • Troops near HQ7 launchers

Rattler dropped 6x GBU-31 and destroyed the two target bridges. There were no difficulties during this sortie with employing GPS guided munitions.

Tactical Notes
Jedi significantly improved reaction time to suppress threats by configuring AGM-88 HARM as Sensor mode to only scan for SA-11 TELARs in the Center scan mode during Rattler's ingress. This configuration decreased the HAS refresh time to scan for and identify an active threat from 15+ seconds to 1 second. With sufficient pilot experience, a HARM can be launched within 5 seconds of observing an SA-11 on RWR. Given that SA-11 acquisition and launch time is 20-40 seconds, this method enables ground attack aircraft to enter higher risk areas and conduct effective missions with minimal increase in risk.

For more information, review the following ops manual section:
2.7 –AGM-88C HARM
2.7.3 –HAS (HARM As Sensor) Mode
https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/f-16cm/#pf1bd

concise fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 4, 2024

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
FORD AAR

We departed from Rio Chico using every available inch of runway, climbed through the clouds and held at our IP for about 25 minutes while waiting for Jedi to finish suppressing air defenses. Near the end of Ford's hold we were spiked by something on our RWR. I radioed a 'mudspike' and shortly thereafter Jedi called the shack of an SA-11. Our RWRs went silent and we were given the green light to commenced our attack.

Ford spent 3 minutes 40 seconds over target and managed to shack 1x T-55 and 1x ZU-23 trucks. I took some shots across the bottom of my nose on my last run in but we called winchester right after and headed home.
I recorded my attack run on my GoPro Hero that I strapped to my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHeRkDBhJ_E

During landing my front gear failed to drop due to the damage earlier but everyone made it home safe and sound. Overall, the mission was a success.

And some other pics I took with my HTC Evo smart phone

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Helicopter mission is a go in 20 minutes.

Mederlock posted:

TF 'Lanza' Mission - Operacion Baluarte

For our first rotary wing mission, we're going to sling load the supplies necessary to establish an austere FARP near the abandoned Dinibor Ranch, along with the staff to run it. The area offers full terrain occlusion from known PLA positions, and sets our Task Force up for resupply for future missions in this AO. We'll have the Gazelles and Hinds screen our utility helicopters towards the known PLA positions, and have them try to gather some reconnaissance with their sensors. Once the transport heli's are free and clear, the attack helo's will coordinate with the mission commander who may clear fires at any high value targets. The FOB we'll be starting from is the SB Magallenes on HWY 9, near Primavera.

FARP LZ
The CO of the logistics company scouted out the area prior to this mission being cleared. The weather conditions just happened to be similar to what we expect on game day as well, and in their opinion they feel this is doable. Please reference the attached photographs of the LZ that the EC commando company helpfully marked out with smoke:

The location is at -52.50105899023392, -72.34441962175376, to the East of the Northern-most small lake, and NW of the old Dinibor Ranch house. The Hueys will carry Ammo Crates filled with helicopter Munitions, and the Hips will carry in Fuel Tanks. One of the Helicopters will have to land and deploy the ground crew as well. Once all the cargo is deployed and the pax are disembarked, the heli's are to return to the FOB.

The Hips and Huey's will travel at a similar speed and stay within visual range of each other at all times during this operation, but avoid flying in tight formation due to wind conditions and the nature of swinging sling loads. If a PLA aircraft is dangerously close, our pilots are cleared to immediately cut their loads and go evasive.

Waypoints
WP1: Mag 240 for 60 KM, 52.20512°S 72.27374°W , Visual ref: entering mountain valley
WP2 LZ: Mag 175 for 33 KM, 52.50146°S 72.34458°W Visual ref: South along mountain valley, LZ marked with smoke, near coastline, to the East of the northernmost lake
WP3: Mag 354 for 33 KM, 52.20512°S 72.27374°W Visual ref: Same way you came, leaving mountain valley
WP4 (FOB): Mag 60 for 60 KM, 52.05614°S 71.43081°W

Reconaissance/Screen
The Hinds and Gazelle's task will be to screen for our utility helicopters, scout out the PLA 4th BDE, collect images and SIGINT of [OOC: take screenshots through your optics and get pictures of your RWR from a known position) and on the PLA front-line units. In the case that a high value target is identified, the package commander has the final call on whether to prosecute that target. Recon vics, SAM's, ZU-23's, and similarly valuable equipment are considered allowable targets at the commander's discretion, but our priority is ensuring the PLA don't pick up on the establishment of the FARP, so make sure the attack isn't happening from that general direction. Recommend at least one helicopter carries a pair of A2A weapons in case the PLA dispatch any aircraft to investigate. Return to FOB Magallenes once the objectives have been accomplished. Weapon loadouts are at discretion of flight leads

Waypoints
WP1: Mag 207 for 27 KM, 52.24275°S 71.68715°W, Visual ref: Small Lake in mountainous, forested terrain
WP2: Center of Recce/Screen zone, Mag 212 for 29 KM, 52.42377°S 71.98979°W, visual ref: Small North/South river, prominent hill to the East
WP1: Mag 33 for 29KM, 52.24275°S 71.68715°W, Visual ref: Small Lake in mountainous, forested terrain
WP4 (FOB): Mag 27 for 27 KM, 52.05614°S 71.43081°W

Sign up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=1684329869 !

General Humberto, EA

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

COLT AAR

We had a fun stroll around the AO yesterday and it was an easy trip for my 1st combat lead.

Overall we flew onto waypoints as planned and kept decent formation. ABM let us know about a pair of J-11's but they never came to engage with us or Uzi.

Fun points were orbiting into close proximity with Uzi flight. We were surprised to hear Uzi's moderate disgust on comms when we relayed our altitude in meters not feet. Not sure what they are teaching them over in Brasil but hey they looked good flying, not as good as our Mig 29S but the F5 is a beautiful craft. Shame about the missile loadout though. The FAP wants all coalition members to know we have many airframes left and a large store of R77s (AMRAAM equivalent) so if you want to modernize we could stand to use a few more squadron mates.

What went well
- All flight members were great on comms and all instructions followed, good communication throughout the flight between the team.

What to improve
- Lead (me) should have notified Uzi flight we were descending below our cloud deck into their altitude range. We maintained visual with them but geezers flying old planes with few sensors get a little touchy, we understand.
- One flight member had some fuel issues, minor point as the Mig29 is not good for fuel consumption under the best conditions. This did not affect the mission in any meaningful way.

Advice would be to keep familiar with the nuances of the Mig29 autopilot and trim systems.

No stores expended, no airframes lost, no kills.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Dolfin 2 Recon Photos:

First COntact, coastal patrol vessel

Unknown vehicles at coast, near Punta Isabella

River boats and troops south of Estancia Rio Blanco

on the way back, our fuel was dangerously low.

Shortly afterwards, the engine failed.
We ran out of fuel only 1 kilometer away from home.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quote:

EK - I heard about the downing of Trident 1-1. Bad business. According to records from Condor ABM, the P-3 Orion crew managed to coordinate the successful prosecution of a PLAN Type 091 SSN submarine, but then lost their way in the bad weather and overflew a PLAGF firebase in the Magellan Strait. Subsequent transmissions indicate that the aircraft was struck by a SAM at coordinates 53°52'S 71°43'W. Members of the crew bailed out over the Parrillar Laguna National Reserve, coordinates 53°38'S 71°14'W. That landing zone is in close proximity with a variety of Chinese forces in AO Bolt. Their successful pararescue is a top CSAD priority. Hopefully they will be able to evade PLA forces and escape to friendly lines. Given the terrain and expertise of Army special forces, the admiralty recommends that the Army take the lead on any extraction mission. If the air crew can manage to survive, escape, and signal their position, then hopefully the Chilean 5th Commando Company "Lientur" will be able to act as a Quick Reaction Force and come to their assistance.

Naval Intelligence has assembled their best understanding of the forces in the area. Hopefully those aviators remember their SERE training and can make their way to either the 5th Coy or the Ecuadorian fleet. Looks like it'll be a scramble though. Make sure to send this to Gen. Humberto's office. -S

Able
Nov 1, 2023

TOP SECRET//NOFORN

Report No.: PLASA-2992-2010

**OPERATION SUCCESS ASSESSMENT:**
Today's operation yielded significant success in impeding the enemy's freedom of movement across the battle space. Our strategic focus on disrupting the adversary's logistics has forced them to alter tactics, and we successfully compelled their naval forces to deplete essential munitions.

**TARGET ASSESSMENT:**
Replenishment Ship:
Analysis: Locating the replenishment ship stands as a high payoff target. A dedicated strike against this vessel could disrupt enemy resupply efforts and further diminish their operational capabilities.
Recommendation: Initiate intensified efforts to identify and track the replenishment ship for potential future targeting.

**ENEMY TACTICAL ADJUSTMENTS:**
The enemy has demonstrated observable alterations in tactics, underscoring the effectiveness of our sustained focus on disrupting their logistical operations. Continued emphasis on targeting their supply chain has prompted tactical adjustments, providing a strategic advantage to our forces.

**SAM CAPABILITY DEGRADATION:**
Northern and Northwestern Approaches to Porta Arenas:
Targets Destroyed: 2 SA-11 Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) systems

Analysis: The destruction of these SA-11s significantly degrades the enemy's SAM capability, particularly in proximity to Porta Arenas, their most critical port in the region.
Impact: Restricts enemy air defense capabilities and enhances our freedom of movement in the specified approaches.

**RECOMMENDATIONS:**
1. Continued Logistical Focus: Maintain the emphasis on disrupting the enemy's logistical trail to exploit tactical vulnerabilities and sustain operational success.
2. Target Prioritization: Prioritize the identification and tracking of the replenishment ship for potential targeted strikes.
3. Monitoring Tactical Adjustments: Continuously monitor enemy tactics to adapt our strategies accordingly, ensuring ongoing success in disrupting their operational capabilities.

**WARNING:**
This report is classified as TOP SECRET and NOFORN. Dissemination to unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. Exercise caution to protect sources and methods.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Kaal posted:

Air Tasking Order: Survey FARP Site

Payload: None
Route: El Calafate, Argentina to Bella Vista, Argentina (SAWC > SA73)
Distance: 200 km / 110 nmi

As part of a survey of minor airfields in the region that can be refurbished and contribute to the war effort, Naval Supply Command has identified a small airport near the riverside community of Bella Vista, Argentina (51°51'47"S 70°37'15"W) as being a potential site for a Forward Arming and Refueling Point, or FARP. These dispersed facilities primarily exist to service helicopters or as temporary layover points for transport aircraft, but military authorities around the world - and particularly those in Eastern Europe - have become interested in also using them for fixed-wing / STOL aircraft as well.

In addition to an existing dirt airstrip used for civilian flights, Bella Vista is located along Ruta 40, which may provide a firm runway for combat aircraft capable of operating in an austere environment. Equidistant between Puerto Natales and Rio Gallegos, it would provide a welcome respite for fuel-hungry jets transiting to and from their areas of operation. Plus Bella Vista is far enough from the Punta Arenas frontline to host an aviation squadron with some degree of safety. The town is also sited along the Rio Turbio Railway, which will simplify logistical transport concerns. Local civic authorities assure our officers that temporary accommodations in the town can be made available for crew housing and other needs, while additional base facilities are constructed.

However, it remains to be demonstrated that the highway near Bella Vista can actually be used by military aircraft. We need to send out a surveyor to locate the site and perform the first landing. If the road is not sufficiently straight, wide, or firm enough, we may be forced to look for another FARP location in this region. An OV-10 Bronco reconnaissance aircraft might be well-suited for this task. A straightforward alternative would be an A-4E Skyhawk or AV-8B Harrier, whose pilots will likely be soon operating on this airfield or one like it.

Lt Cdr Fletcher
Vincent 1 lead

Bella Vista FARP Survey report

Admiral Flibberflab, Admiral Sapaio

Vincent 1 undertook the farp survey this afternoon, flying a Harrier GR9 from SAWG to the abandoned field south of Bella Vista, Argentina. In the below photo taken north of Bella Vista, the field is above the destruction cord, with the rail depot in the lower left, and the town in the lower right. The longest runway is approximately 2900 ft long, perfectly adequate for Harrier operations.

Another photo from the south shows the lone building at the south end of the runway along with the first potential road base candidate to the east of the airfield, with an approximate length of 2500 ft. Some road traffic was observed during the survey, however the road can be bypassed further east.

Finally the second option is on the segment of road south of the rail depot and town, which is approximately 3500 ft in length, shown in the below photo. Frequent traffic was observed during the survey.

After the aerial survey, Vincent 1-1 landed at the field to test the conditions, using fixed nozzle slow landing capability. The landing stopped well short of the end of the field, and Vincent 1-1 was able to take off without issue using short takeoff procedures. The ground of the airstrip was firm, and no resistance was observed while taxiing and turning. Harrier, Hercules, and any helicopter flights should have no concerns operating from this field once some basic maintenance has been performed to bring the strip into operating condition, as the grass on the runway is in need of a trim.

MF

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Completion of this task unlocks shore based Royal Navy Harriers under the callsign Vincent 1. They'll be available to use on the morning of 15th March, 2010, as soon as basic facilities are built.

Snapshot posted:

Lt Cdr Fletcher
Vincent 1 lead

Bella Vista FARP Survey report

Admiral Flibberflab, Admiral Sapaio

Vincent 1 undertook the farp survey this afternoon, flying a Harrier GR9 from SAWG to the abandoned field south of Bella Vista, Argentina. In the below photo taken north of Bella Vista, the field is above the destruction cord, with the rail depot in the lower left, and the town in the lower right. The longest runway is approximately 2900 ft long, perfectly adequate for Harrier operations.

Another photo from the south shows the lone building at the south end of the runway along with the first potential road base candidate to the east of the airfield, with an approximate length of 2500 ft. Some road traffic was observed during the survey, however the road can be bypassed further east.

Finally the second option is on the segment of road south of the rail depot and town, which is approximately 3500 ft in length, shown in the below photo. Frequent traffic was observed during the survey.

After the aerial survey, Vincent 1-1 landed at the field to test the conditions, using fixed nozzle slow landing capability. The landing stopped well short of the end of the field, and Vincent 1-1 was able to take off without issue using short takeoff procedures. The ground of the airstrip was firm, and no resistance was observed while taxiing and turning. Harrier, Hercules, and any helicopter flights should have no concerns operating from this field once some basic maintenance has been performed to bring the strip into operating condition, as the grass on the runway is in need of a trim.

MF

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Weather Update

Gray skies are gonna clear up...
Forecast Extension through the 22nd

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Delayed AAR from the week before...
Sprinfield 1 Flight AAR

Flight Members:
Springfield 1-1 | Arbitrary
Springfield 1-2 | Pygmalion

Tasking: BAI - Targets of Opportunity

Weapons Employment:
Dropped bombs on target recommended by Battle Manager, which was Franco Bianco Airfield. When we were in the area obvious targets were air defenses (no aircraft present during attacks, no fuel or ammo storage spotted).

Kills:
1x HQ7-LN
3x support trucks
5x mans

Mission: Accomplished

Losses: None

Comments:
We did as good as could be expected.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Update for CSAD:

Intel:
-Increased west-flowing transport vessels from Africa and around the Cape of Good Hope enroute to South America. Open source reporting of PLAN contracting and/or impressing civil vessels to increase transportation of bulk goods and equipment west across the South Atlantic.
-Imagery through the clouds is difficult, but we observed 1x PLAN large landing craft and at least 4x LSTs through a break in the clouds conducting what army and marine force landing on the beaches south of Rio Grande Port. Analysts debate whether this is indicative of rehearsals for amphibious operations, establishing redundant/dispersed ship to shore ops, or both. This activity was 15 km southeast of the port of Rio Grande toward Highway 3.
-Non-standard reconnaissance suggest that the BSA previously reported at intersection of Y-71, Y-85, and HWY 257 is now a Divisional Support Area (DSA) sized activity. BSA elements seen relocating, likely closer to the fronts in AOs Arrow and Bolt, but unlocated due to poor weather. PLA continues to increase hardening, dispersion, and refit capability at the DSA, as well as ground and air defenses. BSA elements likely relocated north or northeast in TdF to support the front
-CSS-7s remain unlocated. Our liaison reports their initial employment was poor, only being accurate to within a 500 meters or so. Unclear if this was a fluke or a problem with their weapon systems.

Material Support to CSAD:
-Authorized to supply 2x LITENING TPODs for use on F-16s. Available for pickup at Brasilia Air Force Base.
-Request for HTS received, DoD and DoS are working wickets on providing effective to support for CSAD while maintaining readiness for its own forces
-SA342M model upgrade kits for Gazelle helicopters as required for existing CSAD L models. Available for pickup at Brasilia Air Force Base.
-Pledge to provide at least 1x HAWK battery worth of equipment. Refurbishment is ongoing and not yet ready for delivery, more to follow.
-US facilitating transfer of AT-6 racks/wiring and AT-6 munitions no longer required by NATO allies in order to upgrade CSAD Hinds from rockets and AT-2s to AT-6s. Available for pickup at Brasilia Air Force Base.
-QF-4 conversion to combat-capable F-4s scheduled for delivery to CSAD in two weeks

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

8:43pm, March 13th, 2010
Santiago, Chile

The Long Afternoon War continues. Fighting rages along the rough battle line of the Magellan Strait. In the Chilean and Argentine Seas, submarines play deadly cat and mouse games with each other and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, while the early fall winds begin to whip the waves into a flurry. Rain pours down onto heavy armored brigades fighting outside of Punta Arenas. Argentinean, Chilean, Ecuadorian, and Peruvian helicopters engage in desperate attacks against the advancing Chinese amphibious raiders pushing into the Skyring Sound and beyond. Fighter jets duel high above the gently rolling shores of Tierra del Fuego, each hoping to gain air supremacy for the first time in the war. Strike fighters pound ground and naval targets, and air defenses fend off aircraft and missiles alike.

Meanwhile the home fronts have been confronted with a dizzying array of challenges. War refugees from the occupied Falklands, Tierra del Fuego, and Punta Arenas have poured into the cities, devouring the limited resources of the war-strapped region. Civilian authorities have been forced to make difficult choices between supporting the war effort and helping their citizens, not to mention the international tourists and many others in need. Air freighters have been working overtime to provide critically-needed goods and transport. Food shortages have mercifully been held off thanks to Brazilian semi-trucks, but reports indicate that the supply lines are getting pulled very thin. Too thin.

Argentina has been relatively successful at holding things together, though they certainly have been struggling to make ends meet. Troop reinforcements have had to be delayed due to wartime equipment being devoted to keeping existing forces supplied in the field, while also providing for much of the HMS Invincible fleet. The ARA Bahía San Blas auxiliary ship has been filled with critically-needed material that has been made available to the United Kingdom to keep their fleet in the region, while Argentine Army troops waiting for their issued gear are forced to hold on just a little longer.

But Chile is clearly the worse for wear. A massive earthquake struck and damaged 350,000 buildings. Hundreds were killed in the subsequent tsunamis, and the outgoing president did little but paper it over. Even now military authorities are trying to quell riots and regain control of lawless zones. Now a new leader is in charge, but there was yet another huge quake. He has asked Colombia and the international community for aid, but it has been slow to arrive. How could things get any harder?

Power outage. A major transformer near the small city of Temuco, Chile is placed under incredible load from the twin needs of the war and the natural disaster. It fails at 8:44pm local time and knocks out the entire national power grid. Ninety percent of the Chilean population spend the night in complete darkness. The southern clouds are lit only by the dull red glow of battlefield artillery.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 5, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Activate Cybersyn 2!!!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Did anyone invent South African load shedding yet?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Delfin 2-1 perspective from the helo op, Ecuadorian Gazelle.

Me and Muhlump doing fuel calculation (it is not good)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Date: 14March 2010
TO: General Humberto, Commander of the Combined Armies

Good morning,

We are pleased to report that mobilization of the 10th Mech Brigade of the Rapid Deployment Force is ready. Despite the immense difficulty in equipping it to its wartime standard, and the delays in getting reservists from their homes, the brigade is prepared for travel at Campo De Mayo.

They are currently preparing for the railhead and road march. You can expect the Brigade in Comodoro Rivadavia no later than 19th March. As you are aware, there is no further rail toward south, so the brigade will be road transported. As of now, we do not have a definite answer to the lack of semi-trucks at Comodoro Rivadavia. We are exploring naval transport options.

The Special Forces units will be needed elsewhere, and will not at this time be subordinated to you.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 5, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The game has now a calendar in a Google format. Also in Miro Board.

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVNXXmEwU=/?moveToWidget=3458764578016327881&cot=14

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 6, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The above is a hover, btw. Or at least, a hover stabilized down to maybe walking pace. It was a bit windy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

14 MAR 2010
TO: CSAD

SUBJECT: MOTHBALLED A-4 SKYHAWKS

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that the CSAD is looking for extra A-4 skyhawks to augment their carrier fleet. New Zealand has 8 of them mothballed currently, and has decided not to bring them to frontline service here, opting to instead to train pilots to fly with the Royal Australian Air Force.
As such, these will be available for you.

They are located at RNZAF Base Ohakea, and as of right now, we lack the ability to provide transport to you. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

THIS IS PLOT ARMOR. In an effort to recruit and encourage newbies, once these Skyhawks are fetched for the Argentine and Brazilian fleets, any newbie flying an A-4 in this campaign has plot armor. Even if they crash or get shot down, their plane will not count against the lost airframe tally. And since A-4 is a free plane(zero irl dollars to use the mod), this should encourage YOU to try it out.

Anyone willing to try will be assisted, experience or no experience! See you in Discord or ask in this thread!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadenisa
Dec 22, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

10 MAR 2010

Aircraft detected, bearing 140, Battlestations!

Capitan de fragata Larrain, you have multiple aircraft detected, and you lead a wolf pack of two subs. Execute orders you or your command feels necessary.

Expect a CMO scenario in a day or two to play this.

Z100032Z MAR10
FM CNS O'HIGGINS
TO ARA VEINTICINCO DE MAYO
INFO COMCSAA(AS REQUIRED)
BT
CLAS
1. UNDETECTED BY ENEMY ASW AIRCRAFT. DETECTED RADAR EMISSIONS FROM 4 AIRCRAFT AT DISTANCE.
2. MADE MOVEMENT TO EAST. WOLFPACK ON CONTINENTAL SHELF
3. GOOD ON ENDURANCE. CONTINUING ON ORDERS.
4. STOUT HEARTS. O'HIGGINS SENDS.
BT

NNNNNN

Nothing much really happened on contact with those aircraft. Mission afterwards told me they dropped something around a 1000 sonobuoys between at LEAST 6 aircraft. The Wolfpack reigns supreme yet again.