Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

RavenickSA posted:

It sucks how pretty much any new laptop or pre-built desktop you buy now come with Windows 11 S, which you have to register to an email, then change to regular Windows 11, then unattach the email address from just to have a normal functional PC.

It's less effort to format and reinstall from an iso that skips all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

buffbus posted:

Rather just buy something new on clearance or something and just keep it twice as long.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Keyboards and trackpads and palm rests are wearable parts, and I don't fancy paying any real money for stuff where those parts are going to need replacing. Also any battery in a 2-year old laptop will be a piece of poo poo.

My ThinkPad T520 keyboard is 12 years old and still going strong. Again, if you use consumer laptops, you use junk and you have no idea how long a laptop should last. Consumer and gaming laptops are garbage and I don't want anything to do with any of them.

And also, even if you buy a new laptop that lasts "twice as long" you're spending four or more times as much money. Even a 9-cell battery is cheap compared to the difference between a used business laptop and a new one. Also I oppose buying the truly cheap laptops with eMMC cards on moral and environmental reasons--buying something that is designed to break within 2-3 years is not only stupid but evil.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 1, 2024

RavenickSA
Jan 30, 2024
I mean, MSI laptops are pretty good for gaming if you got the money. Obviously a desktop is going to be better but if you need a portable rig and don't want to build a tiny microATX tower to haul around...

I was hoping that the Steam Deck would be good to replace a gaming laptop but I've heard they aren't really that great especially with newer games or battery life.

RavenickSA
Jan 30, 2024

sinky posted:

It's less effort to format and reinstall from an iso that skips all that poo poo.

What's the best place to get those for Windows 10? Or is that forbidden knowledge? :P

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Microsoft, I'd imagine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RavenickSA posted:

What's the best place to get those for Windows 10? Or is that forbidden knowledge? :P

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

Also any battery in a 2-year old laptop will be a piece of poo poo.

Greatly depends on how good of a battery it is and how much abuse it's taken in terms of temperature and cycles.

I have a Latitude E7270 which I bought refurbished in 2016. I mostly use a desktop or my work laptop so it has spent 95% of its time docked, and the chassis has plenty of space to exhaust heat. Therefore, the original battery still lasts several hours (reports 96.5% of design capacity).

My wife has a refurb XPS 9370 from 2018, and after a few years of use the battery was pretty trashed - around half design capacity - because it's a really tight chassis that stays warm while in use and she put a lot of cycles on it. We've replaced it once already and will probably do so again if the rest of the machine continues to hold up.

I've had several Thinkpads from work and their batteries seem to last a long time as well, except interestingly the last two have been X1 Carbons and both went/are going through a gradual but clear decline. My current G9 is a year and a half old and its battery is only rated for ~83% design capacity at this point, despite having lived most of its life on a dock as well. I assume this is mostly because of the cooling limitations of the tight chassis.

Regardless, a good business laptop which isn't something ultra-thin (and maybe even then) should have a battery replacement process that isn't too arduous.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

RavenickSA posted:

The normal iso from Microsoft, but if you make a bootable usb with Rufus it will skip the annoying privacy questions as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

I've had several Thinkpads from work and their batteries seem to last a long time as well, except interestingly the last two have been X1 Carbons and both went/are going through a gradual but clear decline. My current G9 is a year and a half old and its battery is only rated for ~83% design capacity at this point, despite having lived most of its life on a dock as well. I assume this is mostly because of the cooling limitations of the tight chassis.

Regardless, a good business laptop which isn't something ultra-thin (and maybe even then) should have a battery replacement process that isn't too arduous.
A big issue is being left at 100% charge for long periods of time especially at higher temperatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U&t=64s

Do you have the charge threshold enabled on the Thinkpads? I've had it set at 70% for about half of the laptop's life and it's at 85% of design capacity after 150 cycles. Which actually I'm not sure is very great but maybe it would've been worse otherwise :v:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sinky posted:

Granted all information I've found on this seems to be five years old, but it all says just a clean install won't get your device out of s mode.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

A big issue is being left at 100% charge for long periods of time especially at higher temperatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U&t=64s

Do you have the charge threshold enabled on the Thinkpads? I've had it set at 70% for about half of the laptop's life and it's at 85% of design capacity after 150 cycles. Which actually I'm not sure is very great but maybe it would've been worse otherwise :v:

No, but it's a good idea especially on the P14s I bought for myself a few months ago. The work laptops are 3 year leases so I only get them for about 33 months before work sends me a new one, and even if the battery is worn down to 65% or so by that point like my old X1 was it's not really an issue. I pretty much never need the whole battery capacity though so I might as well set them to 80%.

e: I never noticed before that Vantage tells you the wattage of your PD adapter if you're plugged in. Neat to see my 4-port charger renegotiate at different power levels as I plug and unplug the other ports.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 1, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Eletriarnation posted:

e: I never noticed before that Vantage tells you the wattage of your PD adapter if you're plugged in. Neat to see my 4-port charger renegotiate at different power levels as I plug and unplug the other ports.

That's actually sick as hell. Where does Vantage get that info I wonder? Is it just part of windows' powercfg set?

edit: WMI doesn't seem to know about USB PD negotiated voltages, is it a UEFI thing? A sweet driver? Seems likely. Or is it strictly a neat power management thing that ThinkEngine duders get. Does Vantage work on IdeaPads then? IdeaPads don't have the ThinkEngine right?

edit 2: I have multiple ammeters and usb-pd supplies, none of the sensor data from any monitoring program lines up with the numbers output by the ammeter, even the line "Charge Rate" from GCIM seems to be a "velocity" of the battery charging, probably used to figure some rate out. It has a number of 29838, where the ammeter shows 2.5 amps at 20V which doesn't line up with adapter wattage or current, probably battery side measurement. It's gotta be some special driver lenovo gets that can talk to power management chip either directly or via the cpu?

edit 3: can you post a pic, i'm suspicious now of my own conclusions, I think it's not properly sampling like I'm imagining, probably just reading an adapter ID, which is fine too.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 1, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Sure. This is from the X1 Carbon 9th gen (e: I guess you can get that from the picture lol), plugged into a TB4 dock with a massive 230W 20V brick. It's reporting 92W:

My P14s plugged into a TB3 dock with a standard 135W brick reports 65W. If I try it with my 4-port adapter which has 3 other devices plugged in, I get 45W. I can then unplug one of those and see it drop for a second, renegotiate, and come back at 60W. I tried it with a couple other adapters - a power strip with a 65W port, and a 30W port in a wall outlet. Both reported the rated values.

I agree that it's a really neat feature and I wish there were vendor-agnostic software for it, but the fact that I can't find one makes me think it could be some kind of driver secret sauce.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 2, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Thanks goon! It's not reporting live sampling that the boost/buck would get, like I was imagining, rather just talking to the adapter and showing you what it's claiming as it's max current draw. I'm pretty sure the PCH gets that info as part of its power sequence. :)

It doesn't live adjust does it? Like 92W would be your computer charging at ~4.6 amps, which it can probably do for a bit, does it drop down to showing 10W or anything over time?

There's gotta be a way, either by inferring, or by using the same current sense circuit as the boost/buck, to see the total current draw on the adapter. It's built into the motherboard's hardware, how can the end user read it though? SMBus driver probably. Does Nirsoft or Sysinternals take requests?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's definitely reporting the PD negotiation and not any kind of actual power calculation. The number is completely static with a single port charger and the changes I'm seeing on the multiport charger when plugging/unplugging are expected behavior for splitting a 120W total maximum across ports which can individually go up to 100W.

Also - not only is it reporting the charger's full rated wattage when the laptop is charged and idling, but you probably couldn't get an X1 to draw 92W if you were running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time with phones charging off every USB port. I have a few wattmeter cables and a USB power tester and the most I've ever seen either Thinkpad draw is like 58-59W when it's in use and has a low battery. Both come with 65W chargers so that tracks.

HWiNFO64 seems to do pretty well tracking actual charge/discharge wattage from the battery's perspective with all the laptops I've checked recently, but it doesn't say squat about the charger's capabilities as far as I can tell.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Apologies for double posting but I have had this annoying thing happening since I can remember upgrading to W11:

If I leave the computer asleep long enough, it won't shut down or log me out but it will close down all my open applications and set some settings back to default (like my keyboard language).

It's not terrible. I save my work, and the browser saves the open tabs including text I've entered but haven't submitted. But if anyone knows offhand it might save me a few seconds each day. I'm guessing it's something in the power settings rather than a bug, but I can't find what to change.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bright Bart posted:

Apologies for double posting but I have had this annoying thing happening since I can remember upgrading to W11:

If I leave the computer asleep long enough, it won't shut down or log me out but it will close down all my open applications and set some settings back to default (like my keyboard language).

It's not terrible. I save my work, and the browser saves the open tabs including text I've entered but haven't submitted. But if anyone knows offhand it might save me a few seconds each day. I'm guessing it's something in the power settings rather than a bug, but I can't find what to change.

This sounds like your PC is being rebooted during that time when you think it's just sleeping.

Open an admin command prompt and powercfg.exe /SleepStudy -- this will make a HTML file you can look at to see all the power transitions and why they happened.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Keyboard language selection has been bugged since Windows 8 and there's a whole dance with uninstalling and reinstalling the language it tends to switch to, to fix it temporarily.

Making the computer go into hibernation will stop it from waking itself, if an automatic reboot is your problem. If you're on a computer that lets you disable modern sleep in favor of S3 sleep in the bios, that should work too.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Man this is a very useful thread. I never knew that about the language packs thanks

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Recently, my job gave me a new (Dell Precision) laptop, running W11. It mostly works fine except: I was in the habit of leaving my old laptop (W10) asleep overnight.

If I try that with my new one, it won't start in the morning - the power button starts something in there but won't fully wake it up, and I have to hard shutdown it before starting again.

What do?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Klyith posted:

Open an admin command prompt and powercfg.exe /SleepStudy -- this will make a HTML file you can look at to see all the power transitions and why they happened.

Thank you for the tip. Although, I did this and it told me the only shut down in the past two days was a few minutes ago when I restarted (to make sure it's logging shut downs, as the first report I generated showed none). It would have made sense though.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Keyboard language selection has been bugged since Windows 8 and there's a whole dance with uninstalling and reinstalling the language it tends to switch to, to fix it temporarily.

Making the computer go into hibernation will stop it from waking itself, if an automatic reboot is your problem. If you're on a computer that lets you disable modern sleep in favor of S3 sleep in the bios, that should work too.

Also thank you. I did install and reinstall language packs for an unrelated bug which showed languages I never had showing up in my selection widget and not showing some of the ones I had.

In any case it might be worth a shot seeing if hibernation also leads to this problem. If it doesn't, I'd just have to remember to hibernate.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quackles posted:

Recently, my job gave me a new (Dell Precision) laptop, running W11. It mostly works fine except: I was in the habit of leaving my old laptop (W10) asleep overnight.

If I try that with my new one, it won't start in the morning - the power button starts something in there but won't fully wake it up, and I have to hard shutdown it before starting again.

What do?

We’ve had a very similar issue with a couple newer dell laptops at my job recently. Not sure what’s up with them, but maybe there’s a bad firmware version floating around?

I can ask IT at work tomorrow.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is Dell Optimizer installed on it by any chance? If it is, uninstall it and see if that resolves the issue. Dell Optimizer is notorious for causing all sorts of issues.

I would link to multiple threads where people have figured out issues Optimizer caused, but I’m phone posting. Seriously just google it, it’s terrible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is Dell Optimizer installed on it by any chance? If it is, uninstall it and see if that resolves the issue. Dell Optimizer is notorious for causing all sorts of issues.

Yes, it came with the computer, I think.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Sleep resume issues are usually fixed by updating Intel chipset drivers. If you have AMD try it anyway.

Intel HD / iris / xe graphics drivers should be updated too. Try the same if you have AMD.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Upon inspection, Dell Optimizer is disabled in every aspect already except fan speed management. Will an uninstall help?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, it doesn't seem to matter if bits are disabled, the thing is basically a virus and messes loads of things up

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Got it. What do you recommend I do for fan speed management instead?

(Preferably, whatever it is doesn't need an extra installation. I don't want to have to bother my IT department if I don't have to - they're pretty busy.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if this is a Win11 thing or a surface Pro thing, but if I turn on the surface, I get to the W11 login/password screen and if I don't enter something in like 15-30 sec, the screen goes black like it's sleep. Touching a key/touchpad instantly wakes it. I'd like it to stay on for a few minutes at least though.

Is there a setting for this? I looked in the power management/screen saver settings and nothing seems to impact it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Quackles posted:

(Preferably, whatever it is doesn't need an extra installation. I don't want to have to bother my IT department if I don't have to - they're pretty busy.)

Check the BIOS. On a Dell laptop I've no clue, I haven't had one in years. Most manufacturers though put the fan curve settings right in the BIOS itself now a days. Premade though?

Otherwise you could get something like Fan Control.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah they usually have a few profiles like normal, performance, and quiet.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, confirmed that the fan settings are replicated in the BIOS and uninstalled Dell Optimizer (it didn't even need an admin password).

Will test overnight tonight.

EDIT: it took a LONG time to restart post-uninstall.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 6, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Quackles posted:

Any software you want to use to control fans will require administrator access to even run, because they have to be able to interact on the system management bus to work at all. Basically they need to read/write to some space in memory that is reserved by BIOS, and windows won't let anything in plain "user space" do that for very good reasons.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Quackles posted:

whatever you use do not use things that change the pwm of the fans as it will bug out dell/alienware fan controllers and might cook your computer until you reboot

https://github.com/T-Troll/alienfx-tools

quote:

For fan/power control, instead of many other fan control tools, like SpeedFan, HWINFO or Dell Fan Control, this tool does not use direct EC (Embed controller) access and data modification.
It utilizes proprietary Alienware function calls inside ACPI BIOS (the same used by AWCC).

It's safer - BIOS still monitors fans and has no risk fans will stop under full load.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

...yeah, I think I'll stick with setting it in the BIOS. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slidebite posted:

Not sure if this is a Win11 thing or a surface Pro thing, but if I turn on the surface, I get to the W11 login/password screen and if I don't enter something in like 15-30 sec, the screen goes black like it's sleep. Touching a key/touchpad instantly wakes it. I'd like it to stay on for a few minutes at least though.

Is there a setting for this? I looked in the power management/screen saver settings and nothing seems to impact it.

I get that behavior on at least one of my W10 desktops, and if anything I think my Win11 laptops are a little better about giving me a loving second to actually log in. Actually, the one with Windows Hello is really nice about that, since it will look for me for a bit before deciding I didn't REALLY want to log in right now and gently caress off to black screen land.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The computer still won't wake up after sleeping a while, despite Dell Optimizer being long gone. Might try chipset or BIOS updates. If that doesn't work, it's a formal ticket with IT.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
May I suggest some sort of graphics driver issue that is causing power issues? Or perhaps some connection is not as secure as it needs to be inside the laptop. That was an issue I faced with my own mini pc that has laptop guts inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Could be. Either issue - especially hardware issues - is firmly IT territory, seeing as this is my work laptop (and it's also a brand-new Dell Precision, to boot).