Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mutant Mayhem is pretty much the first good TMNT movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If there was any hope the ATLA live action would be even half as decent as the OP live-action series, it sure is gone.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 4, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orion and the Dark was good but it might be a little much for some kids. Especially with the convoluted structure at the end.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Mark Gustafson died unexpectedly this Thursday morning. :(

He co-directed (and was effectively the on-site director for) Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio and was the animation director (and again effectively on-site director for) Fantastic Mr Fox. He was an old school Vinton dude without all the weird baggage.

Really devastating loss for stopmotion.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/mark-gustafson-dies-animation-director-guillermo-del-toros-pinocchio-1235812218/amp/

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Alhazred posted:

Oh, god. The puke scene in TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.

Are we approaching Team America levels here?

Chicken Run 2: Electric Boogaloo is pretty much the worst Aardmann animation, and I would classify it as middling-to-bad. There's nothing here that isn't outshined by what they did in the original, and the best I can say about it is that there are one or two amusing set-pieces (that sadly lack the connective tissue for me to give a poo poo about them), and at least they didn't invite the insane racist back for this one as apparently Hollywood is casting him in poo poo now because studio execs are cowards at best. But I digress. Ultimately it's an entirely skippable film which is a disappointment as Aardmann clearly can do a 'continuing adventures of these characters' film well as evidenced by W&G.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought it was okay, but I haven't seen the original in ages. I did hate the moment near the end where there's literally no reason not to push the button that will immediately fix everything, and yet the main character is still hesitating because of some forced drama. You're literally holding it in your hand, just push it already!

My kids are watching Return of Jafar right now and they were convinced the genie is actually Jafar in disguise because he's still wearing shackles. I had to break it to them that the animators just forgot, though on IMDb it's "incorrectly regarded as a goof" because maybe the genie just liked wearing shackles so much that he put them on again. Gotta love the Internet!

Also who decided to give Gilbert Gottfried two songs in this, geez.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 4, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I was watching the "Sketchbook" miniseries on Disney+ which has one episode of Eric Goldberg drawing the Genie (each 12-minute episode features a single animator telling their life story as they draw a character they're associated with). What I kept noticing about each of those episodes as it went on (there are only 6) was that the artists were clearly just copying a single frame that was put in front of them, rather than drawing from memory or whole cloth, because the show had to redraw it again digitally for the credits sequence, in more or less the same way the artist drew it on-camera on their light table, and there's a lot of continuity-breakage that kind of sucks the magic out of it. And even worse was that Goldberg seemed to have completely forgotten ever having drawn the Genie and was just sort of copying the character feature by feature off of a frame from the movie, maybe not even a keyframe judging by the weird position of the leg and how he kept narrating how he was drawing each piece of the figure like it was the first time he'd ever seen it, or gamely giving tips on 3D construction interspersed with Ed Emberley style shortcuts that teach you nothing, like "just put the fingers in here like this". And the reason I bring this up is that he talked about the "bracelets" as though completely unaware that they were meant to be shackles.

Such a weird experience watching these guys trying to put on a show as best they can and perform for the camera. I mean yeah it was 30 years ago but something just felt so off about it.

(Mark Henn's episode was a bit better and more revealing about the kind of characters he got typecast into drawing, but I only wish it had spent more time showing how apparently not a single finished frame of Simba in the movie looked remotely like his concept art or key drawings)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Alhazred posted:

Mods?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They didn’t say anything wrong? :confused:

mystes
May 31, 2006

which previous tmnt movie do you think is good?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Really wish I could go with a joke answer and say either of the Michael Bay movies but come on.

The Steve Barron 1990 movie and the Rise of the TMNT movie are both better than Mutant Mayhem.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God no, the live action movies are terrible.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

You're all forgetting Rise of the TMNT.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alhazred posted:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the only bad tmnt movie is tmnt iii

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hey, hey, hey. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I need to know where this is from.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doomrider7 posted:

I need to know where this is from.

It's an edit.

There was actually two different Batman/TMNT crossover comics, one was outright in the BTAS setting. The animated movie draws a bit from both.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

God no, the live action movies are terrible.

TMNT 1 is an indie tokusatsu masterpiece

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Breetai posted:

Chicken Run 2: Electric Boogaloo is pretty much the worst Aardmann animation, and I would classify it as middling-to-bad. There's nothing here that isn't outshined by what they did in the original, and the best I can say about it is that there are one or two amusing set-pieces (that sadly lack the connective tissue for me to give a poo poo about them), and at least they didn't invite the insane racist back for this one as apparently Hollywood is casting him in poo poo now because studio execs are cowards at best. But I digress. Ultimately it's an entirely skippable film which is a disappointment as Aardmann clearly can do a 'continuing adventures of these characters' film well as evidenced by W&G.

I watched this over Xmas and I had a better time with it - it was pleasant, fun, had some properly good gags...and was also completely unnecessary. The behind-the-scenes feature that autoplayed after it on Netflix was really neat, as stop-motion BTS stuff always is. I definitely enjoyed it more than Early Man, which was charmingly bland at best and felt like a first draft ideas-wise.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Breetai posted:

not anywhere near that level of volume or generation, but there's a build up, there's tension, there's color, there's motion, there's a soundtrack.

it's a brief moment that reverberates outwards and shapes an entire future.

This puke could win awards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gnome de plume posted:

not anywhere near that level of volume or generation, but there's a build up, there's tension, there's color, there's motion, there's a soundtrack.

it's a brief moment that reverberates outwards and shapes an entire future.

This puke could win awards.

I do think you might slightly biased in favour of it, here.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I watched and enjoyed Migration. Illumination is often weak on story, but strong on gags and visuals and Migration is another example of that. Like, they seem to have some of the best artists in the business working for them (the backgrounds in Migration are genuinely gorgeous, and the character animation is top notch), but the plots are always an after thought that usually serve as a vague excuse to string together a series of jokes (or songs in the case of the Sing movies) as quickly and in as many different settings as possible.

And personally I'm perfectly fine with that, but I can understand people who want something more than "a Looney Tunes short, but there's a bunch of them strung together into an hour and thirty minutes" being disappointed.

The thing that surprised me most about Migration is that Danny Devito is in it, I don't think they advertised that at all? Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to the trailers, I dunno.

I don't remember hearing him in the trailer. However I did know he was in the movie because of the tie-in Jersey Mike's marketing campaign which featured his duck character in a Jersey Mike's store.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zero One posted:

I don't remember hearing him in the trailer. However I did know he was in the movie because of the tie-in Jersey Mike's marketing campaign which featured his duck character in a Jersey Mike's store.

Well that explains the Jersey Mike commercials I've been seeing where he says it's his happy place.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

If there was any hope the ATLA live action would be even half as decent as the OP live-action series, it sure is gone.

Haha, this is what I expected of the series. I don't think its very hard to do, they just need to eliminate all the adventuring episodes that sort of reminded viewers that this was a show on Nickelodeon. I assume the first season will adapt some of the premiere (minus penguin sledding and the littlest members of the water tribe appearing so much), then air temple, blue spirit, solstice, deserter, and the season finale. I really hope they don't excise Pakku and his sexism and Katara overcoming that, but I have a feeling the showrunners are cowards about "depiction equals endorsement" stuff, so they might get rid of that.

I don't expect to enjoy this adaption much. I will watch the first episode but like the One Piece one, I'll probably nope out after the first 20 minutes. The difference is I like Avatar, and I'm not a big fan of One Piece outside of the Hosoda movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original showrunners have their own issues that have been talked about at length, but the way they pulled out of the live action show and the statement they put out had me assuming this would be bad four years ago.

That said, after the movie the bar's gonna be pretty low, people are going to celebrate it no matter what.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought One Piece was nothing short of miraculous, and that’s from someone who couldn’t get through a single episode of the anime.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also kind of late to be chasing the GoT hype - given the lovely final season nuked it out of pop cultural relevance.

I'm also someone who didn't care for the OP anime or manga but enjoyed the live action adaptation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not surprised, but honestly, I think they're kind of right to say it's not just for kids. Because let's be real, this show is a kids show... buuut it's also not a kids show. It's really a show being made for the late 20s/30-somethings that grew up with the show and are now viewing it with heavily rose-tinted glasses (and they're the ones buying the Netflix accounts).

The goal isn't to remake Avatar as it was, it's to make Avatar as you remember it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Except Netflix still has the original series right there already.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm all for shows growing up with their audiences, like what Fionna and Cake did with Adventure Time, or what Adventure Time did with Adventure Time as it progressed through the seasons. But I like it to be in the original medium with the original creators involved. That is what Legend of Korra basically did with original Avatar.

I might've mentioned before in this thread that I work in vfx and I do not think you can actually do justice to a fantasy world like Avatar's with the current technology available at the budgets reserved for prestige tv shows (around 15 million per episode). You can gesture at it. You can have some shots of fantasy creatures here and there as shorthand for "yeah this is the same world as the cartoon". But you can't actually sell it the way an animated world can where you're only bumping up against pencil mileage and not the insane amount of creature design, animation, rigging, render passes, comp passes, dmp, etc etc etc that you need to make something convincing. 2d animation is a complicated pipeline but its nothing compared to all the poo poo that needs to go right to make a live action fantasy show work. Which is apparently why they went through multiple vfx teams to get the first season out.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 5, 2024

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I can suspend my disbelief for lower budget CG even if it may be annoying at first. what matters is what a retelling of the story will have to say that is different from the original, and so far it sounds like they're just taking away things the original said.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also loving chasing after the GoT hype in 2024.

The show that imploded so badly in the last season that it took itself out of pop-culture relevance, and highlighted how much the directors were nothing but lucky failsons

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Megera posted:

I can suspend my disbelief for lower budget CG even if it may be annoying at first. what matters is what a retelling of the story will have to say that is different from the original, and so far it sounds like they're just taking away things the original said.

They’re asking important questions like “what if the Cabbage Merchant was gay in a way that doesn’t have to be shown on-screen and can easily be cut for foreign markets?”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

The show that imploded so badly in the last season that it took itself out of pop-culture relevance, and highlighted how much the directors were nothing but lucky failsons

To be fair, that kinda did leave a huge obvious hole in the public consciousness that someone could probably fill.

It's a pretty proven pattern in pop culture, where a franchise's owners have hosed it up or abandoned it, then there's a morose fanbase up for grabs for the next best thing. Bonus points if you can get the original creators on board. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Rebel Moon, Death Stranding, even Palworld.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 6, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The success of House of the Dragon suggests there is a bit of life in the GoT name yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Except Netflix still has the original series right there already.

Hey man, I don't disagree, I think the entire idea of a live action version is just like all the Disney ones: a bad one. But Hollywood's run out of ideas, so they're gonna beat this dead horse milk this IP to see if they can get the nostalgia train running.

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah it imploded badly, but it was also loving huge. That's what show creators and/or executives looking to make a show are looking at. They're not looking at the people saying the end retroactively ruined the series, they're looking at the sheer number of people who were invested, at the merch sales, at the number of poor children out there named loving Danerys or something because their parents were so into the show... and other poo poo like that. GoT is (arguably) the biggest cultural juggernaut that the world has seen on TV in years, and until something steps up to take that crown, you'll still see it get name-checked when you see stuff about what people want their show to be like (especially if it's even remotely for adults)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 6, 2024

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, that kinda did leave a huge obvious hole in the public consciousness that someone could probably fill.

It's a pretty proven pattern in pop culture, where a franchise's owners have hosed it up or abandoned it, then there's a morose fanbase up for grabs for the next best thing. Bonus points if you can get the original creators on board. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Rebel Moon, Death Stranding, even Palworld.

The only ones of those that were big successes were Death Stranding and Palworld and they're both far different from replacements for Metal Gear and Pokémon. Bloodstained was an niche hit and I think Rebel Moon bombed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

The only ones of those that were big successes were Death Stranding and Palworld and they're both far different from replacements for Metal Gear and Pokémon. Bloodstained was an niche hit and I think Rebel Moon bombed?

Rebel Moon did great by all measurements last I heard, despite the twitter weirdos.