Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m sure that’s part of it but I’m fully willing to believe Lucas had a basic outline of “a space republic falling and becoming an empire” napkin scribbling as part of his Star Wars concept. Not likely anything like what we actually got though of course

There were a lot of notes and outlines, and I think some of them were even used as source material for what became the novelization of the original Star Wars. Of course, those notes were also extremely different than how things came out in the original trilogy. (The emperor was an out-of-touch old man manipulated by various evil officials below him, Leia's ship was originally hauling "spice", etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the original plan was, in fact, a whole bunch of movies, but they didn't make any of them.
77 wasn't just a part of a planned story, it was a rearrangement of cherrypicked parts of a humongous sprawling mess of a plan that realistically was never going to happen, plus a lot of things that just happened serendipitously while they were trying to slap the movie together in the middle of a friggin desert in tunisia or whatever. they were lucky to make even one movie, and once that movie became "star wars" they literally couldn't do "the rest of the movies" because they'd already stripmined the good poo poo to make this weird supercondensed alternate version that is the thing that people actually saw.
it'd be like if you were trying to adapt the Judge Dredd comic books and the first movie you released, which turned out to be an unexpectedly monstrous success, was Robocop. like, yeah, it's kinda Judge Dredd, it obviously started from that, but you rearranged it so much in order to make a movie that's just good on its own that you basically ended up with a totally different thing. and you could rightly say at that point that you had enough material for 9 planned movies, the lie would be in the implication that what we got was one of those movies

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

https://x.com/Sgtzima/status/1753849911202689407

(Tweet links to this video: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPHy3yWE08

Probably the funniest thing about the video is realizing how many people ITT have fallen for blatant "no CGI" lies from studios. The part where he shows that there were more practical elements in the big Avengers: Endgame finale than there were in the Top Gun: Maverick flight scenes was particularly amusing.

lol at people in this thread who thought there was no CGI in top gun 2 (0 people)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Has there been a single big budget action movie in the last 25 years that didn't use a bunch of CGI? Like I know Mad Max Fury Road used less CGI than most action movies, but it still used CGI.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

reignofevil posted:

I'm betting someone sarcastically looked at the first star wars script and was like "This is a boring pos are you writing one star wars movie or nine here" and he was all "Hey, yeah, I'm actually writing nine movies" and then his ex wife cut out a third of his bullshit and it was suddenly pretty good

His original script for the first movie was actually super long and had poo poo like Wookies fighting the Empire on Yavin 4, a sequence that eventually became the Ewok sequence from Return of the Jedi. So he definitely had one movie idea that got whittled down into the original Star Wars and then he filled the two sequels with the elements he had dropped from that original idea. I would believe that he wrote prequel/sequel ideas immediately following that, but the idea that it came before that seems ludicrous.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
cgi lets you skip making decisions in pre-production, and there's nothing executives love more than skirting responsibility for failures and taking credit for successes

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 5, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

Movies are dead. Look at the absolute desert that is the release schedule for 2024. At this point only Dunc 2 can hope to revive them.

Movies that will actually make money:

Dunc 2
Ghostbusters 5
Godzilla whatever
Civil War
Deadpool 3
Gladiator 2

Movies that won't:

Everything else

Furiosa gonna bomb lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Furiosa gonna bomb lmao

GTFO with this nonsense

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Endless Trash posted:

Also gotta throw SCAR a tragic origin story so he can be sympathetic in the prequel, but not too sympathetic that we permit his later murders. Helluva balancing act

Looking forward to watching Scar's parents get pushed off a cliff by Dalmatians.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LanceHunter posted:

I’m almost certain Lucas said the “I wrote 9 movies” lie in the interviews that appeared on the final VHS release of the original version of the original trilogy. I think the rumor had started before then, but he himself was likely the originator of it.

That rapscallion.

Honestly I can’t get mad at George, he seems like overall a decent human being so I am glad he hosed Disney for literally billions

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Toxic Mental posted:

Dunc 2
Ghostbusters 5
Godzilla whatever
Civil War
Deadpool 3
Gladiator 2

Movies that won't:

Everything else

Furiosa gonna bomb lmao
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but the existence of Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim is news to me. The people in charge of producing movies have literally no idea why Peter Jackson's trilogy was so successful, apparently. At least this isn't the start of a trilogy (seemingly).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

lol at people in this thread who thought there was no CGI in top gun 2 (0 people)

Hilarious to think that they somehow got ahold of Su-57s for the flying scenes, or that there is still a F-14 in flying condition. Or that the super plane he flies at the start would be able to be borrowed by a film crew. People are rubes.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Rageaholic posted:

Has there been a single big budget action movie in the last 25 years that didn't use a bunch of CGI? Like I know Mad Max Fury Road used less CGI than most action movies, but it still used CGI.

No, and it's literally impossible. The simple reason is that there are post effects that are necessary to making an action movie at a fundamental level and it's easier impossible or impractical to do them manually in modern film making.

Easiest example is painting out wires, which goes back to like the thirties. If you want to have an action movie with literally no CGI, you'd have to either shoot on film and have someone painstakingly paint them out the old fashioned way, or since it's much more likely you'd be shooting on film, you'd have to print each frame on to an animation cell, hand paint the wires out, and then rephotograph. That's the easiest way I can think of and it's dumb as dogass. So, yeah as soon as a 9 year old Korean has to scribble a little patch of blue over the harness pulling madame Webb into the sky you've got cgi.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

NorgLyle posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but the existence of Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim is news to me. The people in charge of producing movies have literally no idea why Peter Jackson's trilogy was so successful, apparently. At least this isn't the start of a trilogy (seemingly).

It's an anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Made by the guys who did the Blade Runner anime, which wasn't that great.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Kingo Ligma posted:

No, and it's literally impossible. The simple reason is that there are post effects that are necessary to making an action movie at a fundamental level and it's easier impossible or impractical to do them manually in modern film making.

Easiest example is painting out wires, which goes back to like the thirties. If you want to have an action movie with literally no CGI, you'd have to either shoot on film and have someone painstakingly paint them out the old fashioned way, or since it's much more likely you'd be shooting on film, you'd have to print each frame on to an animation cell, hand paint the wires out, and then rephotograph. That's the easiest way I can think of and it's dumb as dogass. So, yeah as soon as a 9 year old Korean has to scribble a little patch of blue over the harness pulling madame Webb into the sky you've got cgi.

Can't they just make an action movie that doesn't require wires? Like without tons of crazy set pieces, acrobatics or superpowers, but just people doing realistic action stuff. Honest question.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Jacke Chan?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Illmade posted:

Can't they just make an action movie that doesn't require wires? Like without tons of crazy set pieces, acrobatics or superpowers, but just people doing realistic action stuff. Honest question.

It's not by definition impossible, but off the top of my head that also means you can't have:

Anything reflective in shot (including metal so no blades, most guns).
Guns firing apart from in very specifically framed shots.
Anyone falling off anything.
Car stunts and explosions that are in any way safe / insurable.
Actors. You'll need stuntpeople in your main roles instead which means yikes as performances.
Urban or suburban locations. You'll never get through a shoot without getting a license plate, Billboard, or random civilian in at least one shot.
Anything on a screen (syncing refresh rates to camera fps is a nightmare and high risk).

This is all the stuff cg rules for. What it sucks for is having an entire action scene of black panther running around a PS2 level or Yoda flipping all over the screen.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i watched what’s up doc last night and its wacky madcap chase through the streets of san francisco a la bullitt kicked the poo poo out of every action scene in every hollywood movie in the last decade but i will accept that cgi could have improved it by shrinking barbra streisand’s incredible schnoz

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
TIL they didn't have actors, locations, or stunts before CGI.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
why you need all the wires

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pretend the entire movie takes in a computer, now you can have as many wires as you want.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Mega64 posted:

Holding out for the Bambi's Mother prequel.

Grambi

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
80% of the editing in RLM episodes is removing all the wires keeping Mike upright during filming.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mega64 posted:

80% of the editing in RLM episodes is removing all the wires keeping Mike upright during filming.

the other 20 is giving jay crows feet in a futile attempt to ward off the thirstposters

you dont think hes ACTUALLY aging do you? my sweet beautiful painfully unfunny susan bauman? undergoing twink death? impossible

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, they used a bunch of other tricks like rear projection, matte paintings, and painstaking frame-by-frame paint-outs back then.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Paladinus posted:

It's an anime.

Arc Hammer posted:

Made by the guys who did the Blade Runner anime, which wasn't that great.
A few days ago, someone posted the upcoming Pop Tarts movie announcement tweet with the post: "Movies make me wish I was dead" and now I completely agree.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Crescent Wrench posted:

No, it's that the job of removing those was done by hand, directly on film, which is not feasible because we no longer shoot on film, and as a result there's no one with those skills left. The act if the paint out wasn't invented with computers, numb nuts. It's called a paint out because people used to literally paint out reflections, wire, license plates, etc etc.

You know, exactly what I wrote in my prior posts. What used to be a practical, manual undertaking, has been replaced by computer work. And like how dummies like you don't think an old fashioned paint out is effects work, dummies like you don't realise a modern paint out is cgi.

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 5, 2024

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Numb

Nuts

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, they used a bunch of other tricks like rear projection, matte paintings, and painstaking frame-by-frame paint-outs back then.

This guy gets it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

dreezy posted:

the other 20 is giving jay crows feet in a futile attempt to ward off the thirstposters

you dont think hes ACTUALLY aging do you? my sweet beautiful painfully unfunny susan bauman? undergoing twink death? impossible

mods for god's sake

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Kingo Ligma posted:

No, it's that the job of removing those was done by hand, directly on film, which is not feasible because we no longer shoot on film, and as a result there's no one with those skills left. The act if the paint out wasn't invented with computers, numb nuts. It's called a paint out because people used to literally paint out reflections, wire, license plates, etc etc.

You know, exactly what I wrote in my prior posts. What used to be a practical, manual undertaking, has been replaced by computer work. And like how dummies like you don't think an old fashioned paint out is effects work, dummies like you don't realise a modern paint out is cgi.

i think youve confused movies with puppet shows

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they're called matte paintings because they were invented by Matt Paintings in 1895

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kalel posted:

they're called matte paintings because they were invented by Matt Paintings in 1895

finally a good post on this page

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we can finally learn how scar got his scar

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Toxic Mental posted:

Dunc 2
Ghostbusters 5
Godzilla whatever
Civil War
Deadpool 3
Gladiator 2

Movies that won't:

Everything else

Furiosa gonna bomb lmao

Venom 3 is gonna be good.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Dunc 2
Ghostbusters 5
Godzilla whatever
Civil War
Deadpool 3
Gladiator 2

Movies that won't:

Everything else

Furiosa gonna bomb lmao

Of those, only dunc 2 and Godzilla deserves to

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Can't wait for that hot wheat-stroking action in Gladiator 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not understand how their is a Gladiator 2 and its existence diminishes cinemas finest wheat field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hate to admit it but I am actually keen to see Deadpool 3. I actually quite enjoyed the first 2 and Reynolds still entertains me, Free Guy notwithstanding.

I was never into deadpool the comic character, I was just out of reading comics by that time but if he was around a few years earlier I probably would have been all over that.