Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

rideANDxORdie posted:

He bought the New Jersey Generals in the USFL in 1984. The team was notable for "signing" a still-in-college Herschel Walker through a weird contract (before Trump's purchase of the team). And Donald Trump insisting they draft Doug Flutie to an insanely overvalued contract that he insisted other teams partially pay for when Flutie was a bust.

The USFL went bankrupt as a direct result of Trump strongly encouraging the league to set their season up head-to-head with the NFL when the originally better idea was to run the season during NFL offseason to get viewers. The USFL, after getting frozen out from broadcast and stadium deals after going directly against the NFL, sued the NFL. They won a whopping $1, which was tripled to $3 as the courts rightly saw it was a self inflicted wound.

In short, LOL

There was an excellent 30 for 30 episode on this exact subject: Small Potatoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxMCLHXkVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Almost Smart posted:

That NBC poll from this morning suggests otherwise. I’m trying to steel myself for what feels like the inevitable return of Trump, but I’ve been having a really hard time as of late. Nothing good seems to stick to Biden and nothing bad seems to stick to Trump.

Don't doompost, instead post good news or go volunteer or something

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Every time you feel doomed, go do 30 minutes of exercise. If nothing happens, then you just got in some good exercise. If Trump does come back, you can be the swole and fit leader that the proletariat will need to help protect them against jackboot Trumptroopers.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Not for free.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kazil posted:

Eh, I don't think it's Biden playing 5D chess, I think Dems are just falling into the age old trap of letting Republicans set the narrative. Republicans crying that there's a border crisis so Joe goes out of his way to fix the made up crisis.

yeah i'm honestly confused why people think this is some biden manuever when the consequence of it succeeding means bad poo poo for people at the border. biden wants this for himself because he sees this as a win for him.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Junk posted:

a poop-a poop-a donald trump

I just said this out loud and my dog slapped me

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
https://twitter.com/SpeakerJohnson/status/1754333708193091928?s=20
Lol these are not serious people

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Pretty smart to have gone on record as saying “Trump doesn’t want a border bill in an election year” before doing this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Let's see what Mike Johnson puts forward as a alternative because that is what Biden is going to do. He is simply going to say "Okay Mike Johnson what is that you want?"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Actually the border would be closed this week on this bill and would remain closed for undetermined amount of time so that’s utter bullshit

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Silly Burrito posted:

Where's your CD then? :colbert:

Hold on, gotta snail mail my nudes on CD-Rom.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Almost Smart posted:

That NBC poll from this morning suggests otherwise. I’m trying to steel myself for what feels like the inevitable return of Trump, but I’ve been having a really hard time as of late. Nothing good seems to stick to Biden and nothing bad seems to stick to Trump.

you have my personal guarantee that donald trump will not win the election

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hollismason posted:

Let's see what Mike Johnson puts forward as a alternative because that is what Biden is going to do. He is simply going to say "Okay Mike Johnson what is that you want?"

"Close the border until we know what the HELL IS GOING ON!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Meanwhile Taylor does this

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1754332182401691704?s=20

Countdown to MAGA clutching pearls over the cover

We’re watching the Grammys and started laughing our asses off when Taylor abruptly dropped this because it will lead to stupid opinions from the most fragile and easily triggered people on earth

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dems have been overperforming polls since 2022, and now Biden’s way overperforming primary polls, and yet we’re supposed to feel like his reelection is doomed?

I’m not saying Trump can’t win, but it is pretty obvious at this point that something has gone off the rails in regards to polling. Whether it’s Republican pollsters trying to ratfuck their desired outcome into reality, mainstream news sources just trying to create a horse race, or something deeply flawed about polling methodology in the age of cell phone dominance and landline extinction, polls aren’t predicting electoral outcomes as accurately as we had grown accustomed to.

There are other indicators for how a party/presidential candidate will do in an upcoming election, and it includes things like midterm/off-year/special election performance, campaign money raised, and key economic indicators, and those are all breaking decisively towards Biden.

Don’t worry yourself sick over polls showing Trump with a lead over Biden in Michigan and Pennsylvania when reality has shown the opposite lately.

Remember, “Dewey Defeats Truman,” happened because of telephone polls in a day and age when mostly only wealthy people had telephones and many more people did not. We might be living through a similar technology gap in regards to who answers every call (old people) and who ignores - if not outright blocks - calls from unknown numbers (everyone under 45).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
when the gently caress is MAGA congresspeople going to dump Johnson and do another speaker vote, there's no way the backroom social pressure or darkmoney people have actually gotten them to understand this is a red line right now.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Hollismason posted:

He will put forward the alternative of demanding that Biden fix the border via executive action. If Biden takes executive action he will scream that Biden is overreaching and there needs to be a bill.

The alternative will always be "whatever Biden is not doing".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Dems have been overperforming polls since 2022, and now Biden’s way overperforming primary polls, and yet we’re supposed to feel like his reelection is doomed?

I’m not saying Trump can’t win, but it is pretty obvious at this point that something has gone off the rails in regards to polling. Whether it’s Republican pollsters trying to ratfuck their desired outcome into reality, mainstream news sources just trying to create a horse race, or something deeply flawed about polling methodology in the age of cell phone dominance and landline extinction, polls aren’t predicting electoral outcomes as accurately as we had grown accustomed to.

There are other indicators for how a party/presidential candidate will do in an upcoming election, and it includes things like midterm/off-year/special election performance, campaign money raised, and key economic indicators, and those are all breaking decisively towards Biden.

Don’t worry yourself sick over polls showing Trump with a lead over Biden in Michigan and Pennsylvania when reality has shown the opposite lately.

Remember, “Dewey Defeats Truman,” happened because of telephone polls in a day and age when mostly only wealthy people had telephones and many more people did not. We might be living through a similar technology gap in regards to who answers every call (old people) and who ignores - if not outright blocks - calls from unknown numbers (everyone under 45).

This tweet really sums it up:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Quick correction: the “they only polled people with telephones” was the Literary Digest poll of 1936, where they predicted Alf Landon would easily win over Franklin Delano Roosevelt in his re-election bid, an election he ended up winning with nearly 60% of the vote.

“Dewey Defeats Truman” was because a) the polls taken early in the year showed a Dewey landslide b) after that, the Democratic Party broke into three parts, with Storm Thurmond running a segregationist campaign and Henry Wallace running a far-left campaign, and c) because of these things few newspapers even bothered to run polls, so the narrative of “Dewey is just going to crush Truman” continued without any opposition through the election. The few polls that were taken late in the year showed Truman having caught up or passing Dewey, for reasons I could spend an another whole post on if people cared.

Anyways, your main point is right, I’m just being pedantic about the example!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

But really, a big problem with polling is that during the time when polling companies were needing to invest in modernizing and researching new ways of properly sampling to get accurate reads on public opinion, everyone just decided that poll aggregators like 538 were the future. But poll aggregators only work if the polls themselves are sufficiently good, which they no longer are after a whole decade of everyone ignoring them to see what Nate Silver's model has to say.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You can give the Republicans everything they want, and they'll scream at you and go back to scratching their track marks for just one more hit of Narrative.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

oh god taylor swift won album of the year it'll never end now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffle House posted:

You can give the Republicans everything they want, and they'll scream at you and go back to scratching their track marks for just one more hit of Narrative.

And unfortunately the Democrats are dumb enough to come back with another "give them everything they want (ver.2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)" bill to try and appease them again. Sometimes they don't, but a lot of the times they do.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I'd ignore the polls. They're garbage now. They've been garbage for almost a decade. I don't know why, maybe it's landlines, maybe it's the news stoking fear.

Part of me thinks chuds are loving with them. Like signing up as liberals/independents, or answering as such when you get called. It wouldn't surprise me, they do poo poo like this all the time (review bombing, brigading local newspapers) - it's right in their wheelhouse, and helps them claim fraud when Joe overperforms by 10 points in their state, and the SOS wants to start tossing counties out of the results.

But I don't have anything to back that up, it's just some poo poo they'd do.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

nine-gear crow posted:

And unfortunately the Democrats are dumb enough to come back with another "give them everything they want (ver.2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)" bill to try and appease them again. Sometimes they don't, but a lot of the times they do.

they seem to think that the people that vote for the gop will look at it and go "well we could have had it but you voted it no so im voting dem"

but these people are in a different plane of reality

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Strong Sauce posted:

the psyop is GOOOOOOOOOO

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks Obama

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

Picture it! The entire Republican electorate running into the minefield that is the Culture War With Taylor Swift and just getting threshed to death while Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh and the guy with the tiny face whatever his name is weep in despair.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I can remember which book but PJ O’Rourke went to the Texas-Mexican border in the late 80s and rode around with Border Patrol agents catching people

One of the agents said something like “We could all stand here across the entire border with our arms linked and they’d still get in”

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
As a person who never wants to hear about pop stars, Republicans going full out and only talking about pop stars, just makes life easier because they can be ignored.

"Oh, this right wing poo poo head has an opinion about a war or a bill. drat it."
*Presses the Play Button

*Oh, this right wring poo poo head has an opinion about pop culture."
*Scrolls down and plays the v-tuber video.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Thanks Obama

It should be:

Infinitum posted:

Thanks Clinton

In 1996 he signed the telecommunications act that basically let Clear Channel buy up all the radio stations, and consolidated pop culture in to the tiny thing it is now.

This person won a BILLION AWARDS!
(Beat)
The gently caress? Nobody in my friend group has heard a single song of theirs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

As a person who never wants to hear about pop stars, Republicans going full out and only talking about pop stars, just makes life easier because they can be ignored.

"Oh, this right wing poo poo head has an opinion about a war or a bill. drat it."
*Presses the Play Button

*Oh, this right wring poo poo head has an opinion about pop culture."
*Scrolls down and plays the v-tuber video.

if I see a right wing vtuber I'm blaming you

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

"They're not after me, they're after you. I'm just in the way."
-Taylor Swift

robyn-
Jan 31, 2024

quick question: will it be biden vs trump in 2024?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hannah posted:

lol yes. It was always going to be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hannah posted:

It will be Biden vs Trump long after our tombstones have crumbled to dust

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It should be:

In 1996 he signed the telecommunications act that basically let Clear Channel buy up all the radio stations, and consolidated pop culture in to the tiny thing it is now.

This person won a BILLION AWARDS!
(Beat)
The gently caress? Nobody in my friend group has heard a single song of theirs.

Thanks Obama

robyn-
Jan 31, 2024

nine-gear crow posted:

lol yes. It was always going to be.

that is pretty disgusting, i am semi-glad to be relatively uninformed politically, less anxiety that way

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hannah posted:

that is pretty disgusting, i am semi-glad to be relatively uninformed politically, less anxiety that way

You are in the wrong thread comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skeleton warrior posted:

Anyways, your main point is right, I’m just being pedantic about the example!

Feel free to be as pedantic as you like, at as great a length as you like, on any (semi-) related topic you like. If any thread needs effort posts, it's this one.