Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

I mean I honestly wouldn't be shocked if there ends up being a mass exodus of STARDOM talent over this (likely go freelance). Rossy was very much well liked by both current and former STARDOM women.

uh that's not wholly true, some love him but there's plenty who hate him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gently caress

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

time to go all in on awg

nvm

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ah man :(

fez_machine posted:

uh that's not wholly true, some love him but there's plenty who hate him

Didn't Mariah May say something about not telling Rossy she was signing to AEW because he tended to be loose-lipped about this sort of thing? I'm admittedly not familiar in any way with the politics of the Joshi scene, just that this seems like a Big Deal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Didn't Mariah May say something about not telling Rossy she was signing to AEW because he tended to be loose-lipped about this sort of thing? I'm admittedly not familiar in any way with the politics of the Joshi scene, just that this seems like a Big Deal.

Not Rossy but Stardom's weirdo english guy Sonny who loves to blab and be the centre of attention

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Rossy tells Sonny everything, and Sonny tells everyone everything.

A lot of people hate Sonny because he's poo poo at his job, and recently, a screenshot of him talking poo poo about Starlight Kid on the WON forum was circulating online and that got a lot of people wanting him fired for sucking at everything.

https://twitter.com/pinklightsticc/status/1743138462591787017

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 5, 2024

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/tonykhan/status/1754359340536893884

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Rossy tells Sonny everything, and Sonny tells everyone everything.

A lot of people hate Sonny because he's poo poo at his job, and recently, a screenshot of him talking poo poo about Starlight Kid on the WON forum was circulating online and that got a lot of people wanting him fired for sucking at everything.

https://twitter.com/pinklightsticc/status/1743138462591787017

Ah yeah, this incident was also on my mind. Gross.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Then the day after that someone leaked a clip of an unmasked Starlight Kid on 4chan. There's no proof it was him but the timing is very suspicious.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tony scoops

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

This really sucks. She was just 21, even.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

DarkstarIV posted:

I mean I honestly wouldn't be shocked if there ends up being a mass exodus of STARDOM talent over this (likely go freelance). Rossy was very much well liked by both current and former STARDOM women.

The industry is still in dire shape. There are promotions where the top stars are going freelance just to be able to make some money.

It's very obvious that stardom pays by far the best within Japan.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

fez_machine posted:

We'll see who follows Rossy though. Japanese women's talent in WWE have absolutely proven popular although Asuka hates hates hates Rossy's guts.

Given Mayu's professional relationship with Rossy, I'd bet she follows him the minute she loses the IWGP Women's belt to Mina, which happens in a few weeks.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tony has been waiting for this for a while now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That is so unbelievably sad.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Testekill posted:

Tony has been waiting for this for a while now.

His memes are getting instantly retweeted by Will Washington. He's been talking about this among his inner circle for a long time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dancing Peasant posted:

Given Mayu's professional relationship with Rossy, I'd bet she follows him the minute she loses the IWGP Women's belt to Mina, which happens in a few weeks.

She's under long term contract.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

quote:

Subscriber exclusive: Behind the scenes of Bushiroad firing Rossy Ogawa

Stardom founder and booker Rossy Ogawa was fired today by Bushiroad after being accused of attempting to poach talent to leave the promotion.

The story dates back about nine months when Bushiroad execs started overruling Ogawa to the dismay of both himself and talent and some of the more outlandish booking decisions. Ogawa constantly being overruled on booking and business decisions by Bushiroad Fight President Katsuhiko Harada led to his decision to leave the company. Harada was later replaced by Taro Okada in that position in November. However this continued under Okada and Ogawa had already made plans to leave.

He had been under the impression that he would have autonomy on booking and business when he sold Stardom to Bushiroad in 2009. That included a five year-non compete.

It was known that the affiliation between the two sides was going to end on 2/18 as Ogawa had given notice some time back. At first, today’s show was to be his final show, but then the sides agreed to sever ties on 2/18. However, Bushiroad decided to get ahead of the story two weeks early and made the announcement publicly that he was fired after the talent was told in a meeting following today's show in Osaka.

A lot of the talent is loyal to Ogawa, who founded the company and gave most of the women their career breaks. Expect several departures from the group in March, when most of the contracts expire. The only wrestler under a longer term commitment to Stardom is IWGP Champion Mayu Iwatani, because of the movie on her life coming out.

Bushiroad had known about talent leaving and some were given legal threats in recent weeks. Those who are leaving wouldn't be doing so until their contracts expire. This is part of the story of why Giulia will not be wrestling in Chicago and had said she was taking time off in March, when her contract expires.

Ogawa is not going to WWE.

Okada and Bushiroad Fight merchandise manager Oyama will take over as the bookers for Stardom effective immediately. The two don't have any background as bookers although Okada was part of a pro wrestling club while in college that staged matches.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Dancing Peasant posted:

I guess I was wrong for now

quote:

A lot of the talent is loyal to Ogawa, who founded the company and gave most of the women their career breaks. Expect several departures from the group in March, when most of the contracts expire. The only wrestler under a longer term commitment to Stardom is IWGP Champion Mayu Iwatani, because of the movie on her life coming out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
several questions arise from this:

1) why does only japan get to have university pro wrestling clubs
2) why are they so prevalent that i've seen like multiple ddt shows with pro wrestling club talent on them and people working office jobs were in them
3) when will they make a persona game set in a university instead of a high school so i can join a pro wrestling club while saving the world

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i guess there's some other stuff in there too

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

abraham linksys posted:

2) why are they so prevalent that i've seen like multiple ddt shows with pro wrestling club talent on them and people working office jobs were in them
3) when will they make a persona game set in a university instead of a high school so i can join a pro wrestling club while saving the world

you can have a university club for anything brother, you didnt set one up, you could've been the change you want to see.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Urban Japan doesn't have a whole lot of backyards

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hopefully bushiroad fire Sonny too

It's actually a bit silly that njpw and stardom aren't merged corporate wise. Just have Chris work the stardom twitter.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so is the conclusion of "what the hell is going with Giulia" not that she's going to AEW or WWE, but is probably leaving Stardom and potentially joining something new that Rossy starts?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Hopefully bushiroad fire Sonny too

It's actually a bit silly that njpw and stardom aren't merged corporate wise. Just have Chris work the stardom twitter.

There is absolutely no reason for Bushiroad to keep Sonny around if Rossy is gone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is not the first time he's reported this either.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1754367642192736462

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

This is not the first time he's reported this either.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1754367642192736462

This would make it seem like she's following Rossy wherever and doesn't feel she needs an agent to do that.

i still have no idea how he's going to just start up another promotion though, but I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough on Japan/joshi to know how difficult that would be right now. Kinda sorta smells like the beginnings of nxt japan to me but that was more of a triple h dream and have no idea if Endeavor has any plans for an expansion like that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Confirmation from Mr. Haku
https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1754422563974132030

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Funnily enough when I was catching the bus home I was like oh this was probably that news being teased for march.

It's probably Rossy had a 5 year deal. It became obvious he didn't want to re-sign. Hence the rumours. Someone on the roster ratted him out for enquiring about contract status and bushiroad fired him before his contract run out.

If he has a 5 year non compete it's not going to be up until the end of the year....like October

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

NXT EVOLVE Japan

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Did not expect stardom to become like Dixie Carter led TNA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Power Windows posted:

NXT EVOLVE Japan

We already have Evolution :colbert:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I can't claim to be an expert in joshi politics but Stardom is my favourite current promotion so I hope this doesn't gently caress them up too bad.

Then again, if there's a mass exodus maybe Saya Iida will finally get a push!

If he has a 5 year non compete it's not going to be up until the end of the year....like October

Does a non-compete apply if you're fired?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Tokyo Sports have a few articles up that I think are interesting - usually they lean into kayfabe but they'll do serious stories for things like this

Interview with President Okada: Gives a bit more of a timeline: they knew in December that Rossy wanted to leave and also that he was asking around if anyone wanted to leave with him; they asked him to stop then. In January they told the roster he was leaving in March; but after that they learned that Rossy had convinced several people to leave including 'title holders and other popular wrestlers' so they sacked him. Also confirms people will leave but that's not surprising.

Interview with Rossy Ogawa: Rossy claims that he learned he'd been sacked after the show yesterday; and had been swiftly taken away from the building in a taxi. Confirms he's starting a new promotion but challenges the poaching point by claiming that wrestlers simply volunteered that they wanted to leave with him if he wanted to start something. He told them in November he was leaving; citing the busy schedule and 'harrasement in the company' (quoted as machine translation).

Also notable that the reactions that they chose to feature from wrestlers were Maika, Mina Shirakawa and Starlight Kid who are all 'we want to carry on looking forward please follow us' more positive things rather than the reflective or negative things others tweeted - I wonder if that's a hint that those three might be three that stay. Pure speculation there but like for all three it sort of makes sense - Maika is the World Champion (and it sounds like that was a plan chance away from Suzu; although who made the call no one knows); Mina really only got a major push after Kamitani broke her face (and I suspect delayed MIRAI's run which feels very strongly like a Rossy thing) and so might see this as a bit of an opportunity; Starlight Kid is one of the top merch sellers and is clearly someone that they are well behind (and Sonny buried her very pubicly and he's a Rossy man). The first two are also in the new big slightly random faction that formed after they knew Rossy was fishing around. This could be me reading into things something that is not there but I think its a more informed example of that.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The person who asked about SLK on the observer board where Sonny buried her said on reddit that he got the impression that BR basically asked rossy something like "she moves a lot of merch why isn't she being pushed" from the conversation

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I can't claim to be an expert in joshi politics but Stardom is my favourite current promotion so I hope this doesn't gently caress them up too bad.

Then again, if there's a mass exodus maybe Saya Iida will finally get a push!

Does a non-compete apply if you're fired?

non competes are really them just paying you to sit at home. You can go work elsewhere, you just wont get paid your contract anymore. And if they fire you, yeah, non competes arent a thing

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

The person who asked about SLK on the observer board where Sonny buried her said on reddit that he got the impression that BR basically asked rossy something like "she moves a lot of merch why isn't she being pushed" from the conversation

wtf I love Bushiroad?

Seriously, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the Reddit post by any chance would you?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I've already placed a preorder for the next issue of ShuPro with Stardom on the cover because goddamn that's awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crapple! posted:

wtf I love Bushiroad?

Seriously, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the Reddit post by any chance would you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/stardomjoshi/s/GeFv4KXDJe

Lowlight is the poster. His claim is that he said something like br has it right if they are making them push slk and rossy doesn't get it right all the time

And then that's when sonny launched his slk is actually a lazy loser rant