Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In case anyone else finds themselves in the same "need paxlovid but don't have insurance" boat that I'm in, I found out today that Pfizer has a program for this that lets you get paxlovid prescriptions filled for free or reduced cost if you don't have insurance and can't afford the $1600 out of pocket cost.

https://www.paxlovid.com/paxcess

You do need your prescriber's first and last name so if you go through an online service to get your prescription make sure you get that copied down.

I'm going through test2treat instead though so I don't know all the details, I just got a call from my pharmacy about this and figured I'd pass it on in case it helps someone. This program lasts through the end of 2024 in case test2treat's free paxlovid stuff ends sooner.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You guys without good insurance are using goodrx.com right? It's a good way to get cheap savings and I don't know how they make money but it's free. It's not a pharmacy it's a website you join and they get you discounts at your local pharmacy.

And at least for my for common prescription drugs it was very cheap. Maybe 20 bucks instead of the 10 I paid when I had insurance? Not everything was covered. It saved a ton of money.

Now someone tell me why it's horrible. There has to be a downside.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goodrx is cool but they don't have any discounts on paxlovid, at least in my area

Their discounts are pretty good tbh but they do sell your data and prescription history to advertisers and private data aggregators like facebook (who doesn't though, everyone's getting into surveillance capitalism these days)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 26, 2024

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Fair enough but I was out of work and they got monthly meds for like 60 bucks instead of 200

And yeah it's mostly for common drugs. I was taking an antidepressant at the time and I think it went from 60 to 20 if I recall. It has been several years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They get me my Strattera for $27 instead of $500 :hai:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This is why Covid is not going away: my friend's 4 year old is sick. Got no sleep last night, coughing and probably a fever, runny nose, sick. But tomorrow is a class birthday party and she has been talking about it for WEEKS according to my friend, and she will be crushed if she can't go. Just horribly crushed. And it's all the kids from her class, so if she doesn't go, she'll be so crushed and sad!

Then again this is the friend who had Covid over the holidays, had her anti-vax family visiting (and didn't have them cancel the visit), and her brother managed to get on the plane to get home, and got stuck in the ICU with Covid, a massive ear infection, and who knows what else.

But they haaaaaaaaaad to come visit because she hadn't seen them in seven months and she missed them! And her daughter had to see them too!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:sever:

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My dad got Covid in late October, got Pax, rested and recovered. He got it AGAIN in early December. This time he ended up with a bumper crop of pulmonary embolisms. Doc put him on warfarin and through Xmas he was on the mend.

I buried him this morning. The PEs never stopped coming. Yes, there were other health issues. But it was a PE that finished the job.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

CaptainCrunch posted:

My dad got Covid in late October, got Pax, rested and recovered. He got it AGAIN in early December. This time he ended up with a bumper crop of pulmonary embolisms. Doc put him on warfarin and through Xmas he was on the mend.

I buried him this morning. The PEs never stopped coming. Yes, there were other health issues. But it was a PE that finished the job.

I'm sorry.:( drat

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

I've been on edge because my dad was in the hospital right before Christmas having his bladder removed due to cancer, and I visited him on Christmas Eve and his recovery was going a bit rough. Fast forward a few days and surprise, he contracted COVID while in the hospital. Just yesterday he got moved from the hospital to a rehab facility, but he has a ways to go. It seems like the COVID really impacted his memory and cognitive function, but it seems to be getting better now.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Thanks.

Capt Sarcastic, that is unfortunate and more than a little eerie. My dad had the same procedure for the same reasons and the second bout was contracted in the hospital during recovery.

Not to cast ill fortune on you. I sincerely hope your father has a more positive outcome.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

CaptainCrunch posted:

I am so sorry

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

CaptainCrunch posted:

jesus. im so sorry.

go for daily walks and eat your veggies, folks

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

AEMINAL posted:

jesus. im so sorry.

go for daily walks and eat your veggies, folks

Also don’t get covid

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CaptainCrunch posted:

:smith: sorry goon, that's awful

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Wendigee posted:

You guys without good insurance are using goodrx.com right? It's a good way to get cheap savings and I don't know how they make money but it's free. It's not a pharmacy it's a website you join and they get you discounts at your local pharmacy.

And at least for my for common prescription drugs it was very cheap. Maybe 20 bucks instead of the 10 I paid when I had insurance? Not everything was covered. It saved a ton of money.

Now someone tell me why it's horrible. There has to be a downside.

Whenever it's not clear, it's always data harvesting.

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005
In money we trust, united we spend.
Hey, hoping for some input.

I received four (4) vaccines, all moderna, and all of them immediately after they became available. I have no previous issues with any vaccines. Due to the nature of my work, all of them were received almost immediately after they were made available.

My immediate response was between 24-36 hours of fever (quarantined, no measuring device available), joint soreness, and malaise. It didn't linger after that. Except for the last one (Sept 2022ish?) - within the next week I developed dermatological urticaria. I get hives thinking about hives. The skin around my eyes is inflamed at all times. I read the documentation with the vaccines and other user reports, and it seemed like this was a side effect that was potentially related and that it would eventually subside.

Skip ahead to today. I was athletic - running four to five miles/three times a week, coupled with weightlifting, and I'm a mess.

I still get hives. They are not as bad, but it is ongoing and especially bad around my eyes.

Additionally, my heart (caught covid in 2023) started to freak out. Major arrhythmias, pauses of 3+ seconds. Couldn't stand up without getting dizzy, felt like I was going over the first drop of a rollercoaster every time my heart "skipped," chest discomfort, the works. I've always had bradycardia (35ish BPM) - but now my heart was plummeting into the teens. All imaging came back normal, but I now have a pacemaker.

I guess I'm looking for... Commiseration? Advice on whether I send this information to vaers?

I feel as if there are too many variables at play - but I'm upset and beat. I continue to advocate for vaccination, but this has been a wild ride. There are no clear answers, but I'm not even 40 and, well, America isn't really built for people who are suffering.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've had chronic autoimmune urticaria since way before COVID times and I get it, it sucks. It started out of the blue for me 12 years ago, I just started itching severely all over my body one day and it never went away. I've been to Allergists and all they ever tell me is just take antihistamines every day. Pretty sure I actually have MCAS or some other mast cell disorder which I plan to get checked out once I have insurance again in a few weeks.

They recommend 2 Zyrtec a day which definitely works for it but it can also cause that exact same thing as a withdrawal symptom if you ever stop taking it, and it can sometimes cause a weird pseudo-psychosis when taking it if you take it every day.

I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and she recommended this supplement:

Taking that has allowed me to switch from 2 Zyrtec daily to 1 Allegra which isn't enough on its own to quell the itching, but combined with the supplement has worked well and doesn't have such terrible side effects. With the supplement I can even go a day or two between taking antihistamines without getting the itch.

Zyrtec is absurdly expensive but if you go to costco and buy their generic brand (allertec) you can get a 2 year supply for the same price your local drug store charges for a 2-week supply of zyrtec or their store brand. Same deal with Allegra - generic brand through costco (allerfex) is way cheaper than you'll find anywhere else. If you don't have a costco membership you can use Instacart and have it delivered to you which will be cheaper than getting a Costco membership just for this.

Can't help with the heart stuff but hopefully this is of some use for the urticaria because it sucks rear end.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

...it sucks rear end.

Thank you! I'll look into that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Aopeth posted:

Hey, hoping for some input.

I received four (4) vaccines, all moderna, and all of them immediately after they became available. I have no previous issues with any vaccines. Due to the nature of my work, all of them were received almost immediately after they were made available.

My immediate response was between 24-36 hours of fever (quarantined, no measuring device available), joint soreness, and malaise. It didn't linger after that. Except for the last one (Sept 2022ish?) - within the next week I developed dermatological urticaria. I get hives thinking about hives. The skin around my eyes is inflamed at all times. I read the documentation with the vaccines and other user reports, and it seemed like this was a side effect that was potentially related and that it would eventually subside.

Skip ahead to today. I was athletic - running four to five miles/three times a week, coupled with weightlifting, and I'm a mess.

I still get hives. They are not as bad, but it is ongoing and especially bad around my eyes.

Additionally, my heart (caught covid in 2023) started to freak out. Major arrhythmias, pauses of 3+ seconds. Couldn't stand up without getting dizzy, felt like I was going over the first drop of a rollercoaster every time my heart "skipped," chest discomfort, the works. I've always had bradycardia (35ish BPM) - but now my heart was plummeting into the teens. All imaging came back normal, but I now have a pacemaker.

I guess I'm looking for... Commiseration? Advice on whether I send this information to vaers?

I feel as if there are too many variables at play - but I'm upset and beat. I continue to advocate for vaccination, but this has been a wild ride. There are no clear answers, but I'm not even 40 and, well, America isn't really built for people who are suffering.

I'm confused by the timeline. Wouldn't the heart stuff be more likely linked to your COVID infection vs vaccination?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just checked and it looks like even Walmart carries the Costco brand of Zyrtec now so you can get it cheap there too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kirkland-Signature-Aller-Tec-365-Tablets/111240507

Under $20 for 365 pills, compared to $20 for 14 pills from Walgreens or whatever.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I just checked and it looks like even Walmart carries the Costco brand of Zyrtec now so you can get it cheap there too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kirkland-Signature-Aller-Tec-365-Tablets/111240507

Under $20 for 365 pills, compared to $20 for 14 pills from Walgreens or whatever.

That's not Walmart; that's a third-party seller.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've had chronic autoimmune urticaria since way before COVID times and I get it, it sucks. It started out of the blue for me 12 years ago, I just started itching severely all over my body one day and it never went away.
I had this for a long while, turned out to be an undiagnosed red meat allergy. Long delay from exposure to symptoms so it was really hard to tell.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Scarodactyl posted:

I had this for a long while, turned out to be an undiagnosed red meat allergy. Long delay from exposure to symptoms so it was really hard to tell.
Is yours an alpha-gal allergy from a tick bite?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Zugzwang posted:

Is yours an alpha-gal allergy from a tick bite?
Yes. First time I had issues was shortly before it was discovered, they said I had some sort of autoantibodies and left it at that, and it went away. Second time after many more bites it stuck, and I had months of really tortuous off and on dermatographic hives that antihistamines sort of took the edge off of.

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm confused by the timeline. Wouldn't the heart stuff be more likely linked to your COVID infection vs vaccination?

Sorry, that's my fault. Double checked my covid vaccination card - it was five vaccines, last being in October '22, first doctors visit for palpitations and discomfort was November of '22. Covid infection was February of '23.

It definitely could've exacerbated the issue, but my first run in with heart problems was during the same time frame as the urticaria.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Aopeth posted:

Sorry, that's my fault. Double checked my covid vaccination card - it was five vaccines, last being in October '22, first doctors visit for palpitations and discomfort was November of '22. Covid infection was February of '23.

It definitely could've exacerbated the issue, but my first run in with heart problems was during the same time frame as the urticaria.

My spouse also got urt from moderna. Commiserating, wish I could help. I'm going to try that hist stuff recommended.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Goddamn, i am so, so sorry.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Why even bother putting anything on?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Still better than the people I see with their mask on their elbow.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Apparently the latest formulation is something like 54% effective against symptomatic infection which seems much better than the last one anyway. Maybe going bivalent was a worse idea than we thought.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I am interested in reading a history of the first six months or so of 2020, the initial COVID wave and society's reaction. Ideally this is a deeply-researched book based on interviews with public health decision-makers, sociologists, and other experts involved in America's COVID response and experience about what happened and why, using the benefit of hindsight to see what decisions were right and what were wrong, and how everything went down. I feel like if this book existed yet, I'd know about it, but it seems like it should exist. Does anyone know of anything like this?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
It's funny that you mention that, because two years ago I wanted to read something similar, so I just read "And the band played on" instead. It's about the AIDS epidemic and the gay community in the 80s, and its among the best works of journalism I've ever read. I'm just mentioning it here because it's a great look at society through the lens of a virus epidemic.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Haven't heard of any books like that, but new editions of The Great Influenza, which covers the Spanish Flu of 1918 - 1920, has an intro about COVID-19.

Feb 5, 2024
The Middle Class During the COVID-19 Pandemic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feb 5, 2024
the Great Job Creation of 2021/2022

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

gohuskies posted:

I am interested in reading a history of the first six months or so of 2020, the initial COVID wave and society's reaction. Ideally this is a deeply-researched book based on interviews with public health decision-makers, sociologists, and other experts involved in America's COVID response and experience about what happened and why, using the benefit of hindsight to see what decisions were right and what were wrong, and how everything went down. I feel like if this book existed yet, I'd know about it, but it seems like it should exist. Does anyone know of anything like this?

I haven't read it because I'm already depressed enough about the state of public health, but there''s The Premonition by Michael Lewis.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I haven't read it because I'm already depressed enough about the state of public health, but there''s The Premonition by Michael Lewis.

The Premonition is really well written. I read it and recommend it.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Do we have a long covid thread somewhere?

Or is this it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Senor P. posted:

Do we have a long covid thread somewhere?

Or is this it?

I'm really only familiar with this thread, but long COVID gets discussed. I don't tend to follow the CSPAM COVID thread, so I'm not sure if there's more discussion of it there or not