Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Also I think de Lance was referring to the Jack character when he said it felt like a setup for a spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't know how anyone can make it to the end of Picard S2 and not emphasise with Q being ready to embrace death

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Also I think de Lance was referring to the Jack character when he said it felt like a setup for a spinoff.

Yeah, he's talking about #StarTrekLegacy, the fake spin off show Terry Matalas tried to astroturf for himself to which Alex Kurtzman and the Paramount brass apparently went "lol no, get lost loser" to.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Death Wish makes Q dying feel really stupid.
I know there's loads of retcons in star trek but to have an entire episode about how something can't happen and a conflict around that thing not happening be contradicted feels off to me

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i'm still slowly going through snw and i'm up to the lds crossover. which i've already seen before as i'm mad into lower decks, but it really hits different now that i've watched snw

snw is loving great i should've listened to literally everybody in this thread and watched it before now

e: lol i can absolutely see why people did not like subspace rhapsody, that was lot

Mx. fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 3, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I kind of wish that #5 had been a little less "Boy I sure do love cricket" and a bit more "What the hell is cricket?" while still wearing the same outfit.

edit: Where the gently caress am I, and how did I get here?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 3, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I kind of wish that #5 had been a little less "Boy I sure do love cricket" and a bit more "What the hell is cricket?" while still wearing the same outfit.

Often think this, in the Star Trek thread

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

A.o.D. posted:

Take a shuttle back through the anomaly and charge the hull with chronitons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did a rewatch recently and dear lord #10 was cute, shame about his scripts though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Fortunately in the 24th century english culture is extinct except for the accent.

E: yep, no entry for cricket on memory alpha except the insect.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MikeJF posted:

Fortunately in the 24th century english culture is extinct except for the accent.

E: yep, no entry for cricket on memory alpha except the insect.

Accents and Earl Grey

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I started Star Trek: Resurgence finally. I have 0 expectations, the setup has been okay so far but holy poo poo what’s with these “puzzles” where there’s a dot on screen and you just have to slowly navigate your cursor dot over to the other dot?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's a quick time event but slow.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

holefoods posted:

I started Star Trek: Resurgence finally. I have 0 expectations, the setup has been okay so far but holy poo poo what’s with these “puzzles” where there’s a dot on screen and you just have to slowly navigate your cursor dot over to the other dot?

Buddy,

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

A.o.D. posted:

No, this is the thread about a TV franchise from the 60s about people who travel through space and time that has a character called the Doctor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is the thread about the sci-fi series where the ship is largely an excuse to drop them into any situation the writers could imagine in order to stage morality plays.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
This is the thread for the series where all the non-spaceship scenes take place in the same quarry cave set.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This is the thread for the series where one of the most terrifying recurring foes is a race of cyborgs that increase their numbers by transforming other sentient beings into cyborgs, stripping them of their free will and individuality in the process.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also the series whose original run was cancelled and then revived after a bit of a break.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think this is the show where a guy that had worked on the show previously became show runner and it got really terrible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

holefoods posted:

I dunno I liked that stuff because I thought it was a pretty good approximation of the beep boopin on the LCARS interface and made me feel like I was in a star trek

I think the biggest fault of resurgence was going so big with the scope of the plot. Should have been a series of "episodes" with a scope much more similar to classic tng episodes, they otherwise had the vibe nailed pretty well, with the a/b plots and different crew perspectives. I would give it a 7/10 but the wasted potential drops it a bit lower and killed any desire I might have had for a replay

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2024

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I refuse to acknowledge that Q cannot have his own show. Where's your imagination?! It's not like entertainment is a solved problem, there's always a way to make it work.

Make Q human and stuck in a family sitcom for a season. You get all the goofy wit without any of the omnipotence and Q learns a human lesson every day. Post-Modern Family. I apologize for this joke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am still bummed that we didn’t get a bunch of “Q struggling to navigate the early 21st century because his powers are waning/limited” in season two of Picard.

Q having to use public transportation.

Q having to Google addresses and phone numbers.

Q trying to decide what to order at a Wendy’s.

Q playing Three Card Monte and getting bamboozled.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Resurgences' puzzles never actually progress beyond 'click on the thing'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

I am still bummed that we didn’t get a bunch of “Q struggling to navigate the early 21st century because his powers are waning/limited” in season two of Picard.

Q having to use public transportation.

Q having to Google addresses and phone numbers.

Q trying to decide what to order at a Wendy’s.

Q playing Three Card Monte and getting bamboozled.

I'm still picturing something like a Prius rolling up to Guinan's bar and Q hops out and Picard's like "What the hell are you doing, Q?" and Q's just all smug like "I hired an Uber, Jean-Luc :smug:" like it's the greatest thing he'd accomplished. Then he has to hit Guinan up for like $20 to pay the guy because he doesn't have any cash.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still picturing something like a Prius rolling up to Guinan's bar and Q hops out and Picard's like "What the hell are you doing, Q?" and Q's just all smug like "I hired an Uber, Jean-Luc :smug:" like it's the greatest thing he'd accomplished. Then he has to hit Guinan up for like $20 to pay the guy because he doesn't have any cash.

But that would have been funny and clever writing, and we all know we cannot have that in Picard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of Picard But Good, if they had to have a dumbass secret son who his mother hid from Picard and who is a (ugh) roguish han solo type, how much better would it have been if they did this. Change the show just slightly: Picard receives a mysterious distress call. It contains a code he only ever gave to one person: Vash.

Jack being Vash's secret makes a million times more sense and actually fits what they wanted the character's character to be.

Name the kid Robin as a dumb nostalgia reference.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 4, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nine-gear crow posted:

De Lancie would’ve pulled that off beautifully.

“Oh Mon Capitan, you won’t believe what else I did today. I had orange juice for the first time! Very pulpy. Delicious. Why didn’t you tell me about this sooner?”

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of Picard But Good, if they had to have a dumbass secret son who his mother hid from Picard and who is a (ugh) roguish han solo type, how much better would it have been if they did this. Change the show just slightly: Picard receives a mysterious distress call. It contains a code he only ever gave to one person: Vash.

Jack being Vash's secret makes a million times more sense and actually fits what they wanted the character's character to be.

And then hiring an actor in his mid to late 30s to play the son wouldn't be quite such an eyeroll either!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

And he's snapping the whole time like it's doing anything at all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Jean-Luc, I have a strange feeling in my lower abdomen.
Hold on......it's compelling me to......I seem to be......URINATING!
IT FEELS AMAZING!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MikeJF posted:

But then you’d need a producer whose knowledge of TNG extends beyond Best of Both Worlds and Cause and Effect!

I did think a better Jack alternative would be Wesley - somehow kicked out of Gary Seven’s Doctor Who wannabe gang and discovered by Beverly.

Knowing her son has unique knowledge, and not trusting anyone, she calls in Picard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

Yea this makes just a shitload more sense.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MikeJF posted:

inshallah

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Picard basically swept the TV Sci Fi awards at the Saturn Awards tonight, beating out Mandalorian, Andor, Strange New Worlds, and their various actors in multiple categories. This does not seem super valid to me.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Picard sucks

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

swickles posted:

Picard basically swept the TV Sci Fi awards at the Saturn Awards tonight, beating out Mandalorian, Andor, Strange New Worlds, and their various actors in multiple categories. This does not seem super valid to me.

I can see it beating Mando I guess, but how the gently caress does it beat SNW let alone Andor of all things?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can see it beating Mando I guess, but how the gently caress does it beat SNW let alone Andor of all things?

Schmaltz trumps everything, the eternal algorithm of the entertainment award racket.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

swickles posted:

So does this mean Legacy has slightly more than a snowball's chance in Hell of happening or is it still just snowball levels of chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

swickles posted:

loving lol.

Picard could have run unopposed and still should have lost, let alone to Andor.