Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I recently found out that the Jeep Renegade disables its starter when it's below -30C and no block heater has been plugged in.

This is not documented in any Jeep manual, but it is in the Fiat 500x manual (same platform).

There is no way around this, other than to plug it in and/or wait for the temperature to come up.

I feel like this is dangerous. If you for some reason didn't plug it in (or had a power outage, or were somewhere without power and the temperature dropped) and needed a vehicle for heat, or had an emergency and needed to get somewhere immediately, you'd be SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

https://youtu.be/uq5rQlfEcjY?t=7s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

St_Ides posted:

I recently found out that the Jeep Renegade disables its starter when it's below -30C and no block heater has been plugged in.

This is not documented in any Jeep manual, but it is in the Fiat 500x manual (same platform).

There is no way around this, other than to plug it in and/or wait for the temperature to come up.

I feel like this is dangerous. If you for some reason didn't plug it in (or had a power outage, or were somewhere without power and the temperature dropped) and needed a vehicle for heat, or had an emergency and needed to get somewhere immediately, you'd be SOL.

Whaaat? For real?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Light a fire underneath it like they do with tractors in subzero temps.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

St_Ides posted:

I've checked the Italian manual from a MY21 driven by one of my colleagues, there are multiple reference to preheater in the manual for diesel units. Maybe they forgot to write it down for the EN-US translation?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Wouldn't the diesel be slushy or just plain frozen at those sort of temperatures?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ili posted:

Wouldn't the diesel be slushy or just plain frozen at those sort of temperatures?

Depends on if its winterized, but yeah it'd be close even with winterized diesel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not like life stands still when there is polar vortex over Canada/Northern US for a week with -30 and colder in many places.

Sure there will be some no starts and some cracked parts from improper antifreeze mix/winter prep, but it's absolutely commonplace with many places at -40 or colder for many days on end, if not weeks a couple times during winter.

Nobody would argue it's good for the engine, but with proper antifreeze mix and oil weight as most do in those areas (60/40) it's not the end of the world. Diesels used to be notorious to start and often kept running for days but that's not as common anymore.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, I was going to say isn't a "proper" coolant mix good down to -45?
At -30 you'd think thats far enough away that it would be ok. Maybe once you get below -40 it would start getting close to frozen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I was going to say isn't a "proper" coolant mix good down to -45?
At -30 you'd think thats far enough away that it would be ok. Maybe once you get below -40 it would start getting close to frozen

Depends if you just bought the concentrate and mixed it yourself like a lot of people do. But yeah if mixed properly it'll hold up to lower than that. If you do it 70/30 will hold up down to -80

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

slidebite posted:

Whaaat? For real?
Not sure what model year St_Ides was dealing with but I found it mentioned in the 2023 model manual on page 71 in the "Starting and Operating" section.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
It was a friend working on his partner's car. I don't know what year.

The (if equipped) line just makes it too.

Not equipped? Whoops! You're stuck!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
plus people aren't usually keeping cars on the road for a decade or more so maybe they don't notice how glittery the oil is

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There was a half inch long gear tooth on the magnet drain plug on a friends 91 Miata track build that she picked up as an abandoned project.

Also the fluid looked like a cross between bass boat paint and an AARP members bowling ball.

Drained it and hmmm whats this

Oh that don't look good

Unlimited slip differential

The current plan is find a decent source for a pair of new Koyo 33007 carrier bearings cheap, a set of ring gear bolts, and I'm gonna run this whole limited slip carrier through the parts washer one piece at a time, reassemble it, slap the new carrier bearings and spare open diffs ring gear on it and put it into the spare open diff housing. Since the pinion bearing depth is already set on that housing it should be a matter of taking a contact pattern+backlash before pulling the open carrier out and then adjusting the side adjusters till that pattern and backlash are back, then sending it.

I wish I could figure out why it ate most of the teeth off one side of the pinion but only beat up the teeth on the ring. Normally I see the opposite or all the teeth on the pinion gone. How did it do this with the engine running? Would expect the pinion to be damaged pretty evenly all the way around. Maybe heavy shock load (with a 1.6? How?) hosed up the pinion and stalled the engine and the inertia of the car just stripped everything off that side of the pinion after? Maybe it lost a couple chunks of teeth that wedged the pinion bearing and the inertia of the car ripped the pinion teeth off first? What's your guess?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bull3964 posted:

That’s where we were with the start of the automobile. You had things like the steering wheel, the tiller, levers and other wacky things. Then at we got to the point where most anyone can get into any vehicle and operate it with intuition. We’ve been drifting away from that more and more and we probably need to coalesce around a UX that makes sense for modern vehicles including electrics rather than doing all these ‘one of’ designs dictated by the person that styles the dashboard.

If driving is a confusing hassle, people will be more enticed to buy the more expensive self-driving models.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Should have done that 1000 hour injector service

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That's regen for ya

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Weird shape for a light

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

cursedshitbox posted:

That's regen for ya

do trains actually use dpf's/urea injection?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Running a bit lean there eh?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

`Nemesis posted:

do trains actually use dpf's/urea injection?

That looks like a ~1MW-ish diesel genset shoves in a container.

I don't think either use DPF though, but I haven't used like a brand new one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUmMovlMrY

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

yeah i'd say that's properly hosed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Whats a few leaky injectors and melted pistons between friends?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You mean a turbo volute isn't supposed to be another combustion chamber?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

freeedr posted:

Weird shape for a light

The other check engine light.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powershift posted:

Thats fuckin art.

As far as the hot exhaust manifold and turbo, I saw it on Fakebook I think and the caption said something about they didn't do an injector service, one started leaking and dumping fuel which ignited in the timbo or something like that.

Obviously take that with however many grains of salt you wish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's just antilag

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Keep in mind when you see pics of red-hot things that cameras will often pick up some infrared that your eye isn’t seeing (there’s IR-blocking filters on cameras but some extra usually gets through).

Go take a photo of the heating element in your oven when it’s running and compare to what you’re seeing, it’ll be even brighter in the photo.

Edit: sorry about my old oven that needs cleaning

Ulf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2024

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hum, the polestar/volvo setup is like that. Stays in middle and nudge forward for reverse and backwards for drive.
It lets you do it while moving, so you can rock the car on snow etc.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Ulf posted:

Keep in mind when you see pics of red-hot things that cameras will often pick up some infrared that your eye isn’t seeing (there’s IR-blocking filters on cameras but some extra usually gets through).

You reminded me of a fun experiment I did with my goddaughter ages ago, so here is a picture I took a minute ago in a completely dark room, that's the IR transmitter on the front of my TV remote when I press a button.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I wonder if maybe the engine seized at speed and did that rather than exploding the transmission?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You reminded me of a fun experiment I did with my goddaughter ages ago, so here is a picture I took a minute ago in a completely dark room, that's the IR transmitter on the front of my TV remote when I press a button.

When I worked at a consumer electronics store we would do this all the time to determine if a customers remote they brought in was actually dead or if it jaur needed new batteries. Wes pop in a fresh set point it at a digital camera or our flip phones lovely camera and mash some buttons to see if it lit up.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Fun Fact: Point it at a modern iPhone while it’s checking FaceID, you’ll see quite a light show

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I wonder if maybe the engine seized at speed and did that rather than exploding the transmission?

Interesting theory, it's possible. It was bought as a non driving project this way so I'm not sure if the engine was replaced before they gave up when it still didn't drive, or what. It runs now though and I know my friends didn't replace the motor (yet). Allegedly the sellers were running it on 110 octane with some different tune tune from stock but it's got no other drivetrain mods I'm aware of. Driveshaft was pulled thinking that the transmission was shot but it still had to be dragged on and off the trailer due to the hammered diff. It was scca stock modified class car #8 if anyone knows the previous owner and can get the story on what happened right before it stopped driving.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

How did nature know

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How did nature know

Carcinisation. Eventually everything evolves into a turbo.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can also use your phone camera to check for signal in 1310nm/LR fiber, which has been useful. The 850nm/SR stuff is visibly red (it looks like the same red as TOSLINK to me), but the invisible infrared stuff needs some technical assistance.

I really hope these signal strengths are as low as I think.

e: 850nm is already IR, so I guess the faint visible red is either the tail end of what we're sensitive to, or the cheap LED transceivers are producing more than one wavelength.
e2: Consensus seems to be that this sort of inhouse 10gbit gear isn't likely to be dangerous, but it's a good habit to never look at it anyway. Fair enough, phone camera it is.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

it's a good habit to never look at it anyway. Fair enough, phone camera it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6ZEHY--O0