Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

There are rumours, I'd rate this pretty low in terms of veracity or probability, that the Brits are lobbying to send NATO into Western Ukraine - a bit like Pristina Airport - to block Lwow and Odessa and create backstop for a Ukrainian rump state.

Making sure rump Ukraine keeps some coastline, sure, makes sense. But Odessa? Do they think Russia is going to retake Kherson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
started on a new book today, "The Pacific War and Contingent Victory: Why Japanese Defeat was not Inevitable", by Michael W. Myers, and thought this bit was tangentially related to the current discussion

(I'm also trying something new with the highlighting but idk if that looks better or worse than what I usually do)

EDIT: this is what the last segment would look like if I did it the old way

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 09:28 on Feb 5, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I think there's a huge difference between the Soviet Union and Russian Federation here, insofar as I don't think the Soviets would spend so much time loving around trying not to mobilize or spook NATO.

There are rumours, I'd rate this pretty low in terms of veracity or probability, that the Brits are lobbying to send NATO into Western Ukraine - a bit like Pristina Airport - to block Lwow and Odessa and create backstop for a Ukrainian rump state.

They can send whatever they like but unless they have missile proof umbrellas I mean what difference does it make.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General Twaddle lmfao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

started on a new book today, "The Pacific War and Contingent Victory: Why Japanese Defeat was not Inevitable", by Michael W. Myers, and thought this bit was tangentially related to the current discussion

i feel like this dude is far too americentric. regardless of what the us did the soviets would have rolled up the remaining japanese forces in manchuria and there was nothing stopping them from doing the same in korea and the rest of china if necessary, and after that the whole negotiated surrender or not would have become somewhat academic because japan really wouldn't have any chips left to negotiate with

also the old highlights look better imo

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

(I'm also trying something new with the highlighting but idk if that looks better or worse than what I usually do)

I think the old is easier to read tbh

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

new way grays out the text, old way keeps it the same color and easier to read imo

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fits my needs posted:

new way grays out the text, old way keeps it the same color and easier to read imo

BrotherJayne posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I am unconvinced that rapid Soviet mobilization before August Storm and the potentiality of Soviet troops making it deep into China/southern Korea didn't have anything to do with the bomb. In addition, I believe it was already proved there were genuine fears about Hokkaido and potentially the Soviets having a say in Japan as well as Germany.

The bombs were developed to be used, it is more than both were used one after the other, and the timing of their use is deeply suspicious. Also, while the KMT didn't use huge numbers of American medium tanks, they clearly got a bunch of other equipment and much of it (along with Japanese equipment) was what formed the basis of the PLA's mechanization...pretty much like the Taliban.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

also the old highlights look better imo

BrotherJayne posted:

fits my needs posted:

thanks for the feedback, I'll stick with how I used to do it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucaA4kxmBs

I picked up a copy of that book, it's really interesting and I think he makes a good case.

Remember that one of Canada's two cruisers voted to go home, and that not a single army division agreed to deploy to Japan as a whole, so they had to create a composite force, whose insignia was literally pieces of all of the other divisions.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bHXspji8Lk

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Feb 5, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Russia, China and Iran could target UK via Irish ‘backdoor’, thinktank warns

Britain faces a “backdoor” threat to its security from a Russian, Chinese and Iranian presence in the Republic of Ireland, according to a report by an influential thinktank that accuses Dublin of “freeloading” when it comes to European defence.

The UK should also expand its air and naval presence in Northern Ireland, to counter a growing Russian threat on the UK’s western flank, according to the Policy Exchange report, which is backed by two former defence secretaries, Michael Fallon and George Robertson.

The UK and Ireland are at risk from an “acute maritime menace” posed by a Russian doctrine of targeting undersea networks and pipelines and the presence of Russian warships, they say in a foreword to the paper.

Concerns about Russian intelligence operations in Ireland and its vulnerability to cyber-attack are also highlighted in the report, which cites what it describes as an “inordinately large Russian diplomatic outfit in Dublin”.

The embassy had 30 members of staff in 2022, which was more than many other European states with which Russia had closer ties at the time.

Other evidence cited included Russian attempts to expand the embassy significantly, a move blocked in 2020 when the Irish government revoked planning permission on the grounds it was “likely to be harmful to the security and defence of the state”.

China is another significant concern due to its rapid technological advancements and global influence.

Meanwhile Ken McCallum, the director general of MI5, has said Iran stands out as the state that “most frequently crosses into terrorism”. UK authorities uncovered at least 10 potential threats last year related to kidnapping or harming UK-based individuals perceived as enemies of the Iranian regime.

It was an “unavoidable fact” that Ireland had “freeloaded” off the investment of others who were part of Nato, said the report, which added that this “home truth” had been admitted last year by the then taoiseach, Micheál Martin, as a discussion about Irish neutrality deepened.

Discussions about neutrality among Ireland’s political classes have sharpened in the era of Russian aggression under Vladimir Putin, the arrival of Ukrainian refugees, incursions by Russian ships that are suspected of mapping underwater cables, and a 2021 ransomware attack by suspected Russian gangs on the health service.

Ireland’s president has rebuked the government for launching a debate about the country’s longstanding military neutrality and the possibility of joining Nato, saying ministers were “playing with fire”.

The report tried to sound an alarm bell about the consequences of Sinn Féin winning Irish elections in 2025.

“If Sinn Féin wins in 2025, the UK is therefore looking at many more years of an uncooperative, and likely hostile, neighbour in the face of growing external threats,” it said. While Sinn Féin had been on the rise in the Republic and now holds the post of first minister in Northern Ireland, it has slumped in polls south of the border.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/04/russia-china-iran-could-target-uk-irish-backdoor-thinktank-warns

drat its weird how that country we colonized and depopulated for like a thousand years doesnt want to get on Team England with us, must be The Hand of Putin again

anyway i wonder what other kinds of things this influential think tank has published recently

quote:

A new report by Policy Exchange today reveals that schools are increasingly becoming influenced by gender ideology, to the extent that fundamental safeguarding principles are being compromised by school’s approaches to children with gender distress and their peers.

New research within this report demonstrates that many schools are failing to routinely inform parents when a child discloses gender distress, compromising single-sex spaces, and many are teaching gender identity beliefs within Relationships, Sex & Health Education (RSHE) as if they are facts. Gender affirmative care is prevalent within the school system, despite this being at odds with safeguarding principles that have been enshrined in law for decades.

The report also highlights how gender identity beliefs came to be so embedded within the school system, by tracking the influence of external agencies promoting radical and unscientific beliefs within both the Department for Education and schools themselves. This has created a safeguarding blind spot when it comes to the issue of gender, which must be rectified urgently.
https://policyexchange.org.uk/publication/asleep-at-the-wheel/

oh

quote:

Policy Exchange issues a call for evidence asking people to share their experiences and concerns about the ways in which gender identity theory is being adopted in the public sphere, sending their evidence to callforevidence@policyexchange.org.uk

This might include:

Examples of where women’s rights, the rights of LGB people, and children’s rights are at risk of being undermined by the adoption of gender identity theory.
Examples of where organisations and public sector services have introduced de facto self-identification and have developed policies based on gender identity theory.
https://mailchi.mp/policyexchange/policyexchange-1990444?e=%5BUNIQID%5D

ohhhhhh

this was the funniest one though

quote:

A new paper published by Policy Exchange’s Liveable London and Crime and Justice Units shine a light on the continued erosion of disabled access to Parliament and Westminster and calls for urgent intervention.

The landmark new report from Policy Exchange documents the erosion of disabled access to Parliament and Westminster, with the effects of e-bikes, protests and crime and anti-social behaviour highlighted as particularly harmful to those working in Westminster and visiting the area from across the world.

The report is highly critical of the inaction by authorities including the Metropolitan Police, the Westminster City Council and Parliamentary Authorities. Policy Exchange urges the authorities responsible to take urgent action to rectify the issues which the report raises.

Three case studies by Parliamentarians who have personal experience of this challenge reveal the daily struggle of disabled people in Westminster.
https://policyexchange.org.uk/publication/a-culture-of-impunity/

if you dont shoot protesters and the homeless in front of parliament how will i use the ramp to get in to vote to take their rights away uwu

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/washingtonpost/status/1754948102690148609?s=20

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Impressive hubris

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

need some ukrainian babushkas on guard duty with those 4x4 kalashnikov things that were so popularised back in 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You mean pickle jars.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Impressive hubris

heh what, you expect us to deploy an integrated air defense network over ALL of our imperial military outposts? and then what?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Personally I'm not a fan of highlighting at all. If a paragraph is worth reading, it's worth reading in entirety.

The exception of course being if the highlighted text is a case of the author contradicting his own point.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Soo, a tripwire?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Nothus posted:

Soo, a tripwire?

it is also the perfect false flag

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

England worried Ireland not painting the UK's fence very well.

"It's great fun," said a Minister of Enclosure representative. "The paint isn't all that costly."

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

England worried Ireland not painting the UK's fence very well.

"It's great fun," said a Minister of Enclosure representative. "The paint isn't all that costly."

reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSGp4WIBsQ

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

tfw your air defense plan for the better part of a century is just pretending that things can't fly over your troops

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i dunno what air defenses a fire base like that would have outside of patriots (there must be something) but it doesn't seem too economical to have something like that at every loving outpost in the empire

probably not even possible

i read something else about that attack a few days ago that the attacking drone essentially followed a us reconnaissance drone back to near the base, so it went undetected that way. dunno how true that might be

e: I see that is referenced in the wapo article

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I mean sure unless you're using USSR doctrine that doesn't just assume you're going to have total control of the air at all times without question and set up all your mobile formations and bases with organic low and medium altitude air defense like SA-6s and SA-19s

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

feels like a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Oldest Man posted:

drat its weird how that country we colonized and depopulated for like a thousand years doesnt want to get on Team England with us, must be The Hand of Putin again

The best part is the indication that since Ol' Blighty might be vulnerable through "The Irish Backdoor" they really ought to Do Something to take care of their legitimate security concerns in their own backyard. Maybe install a friendly government? Maybe occupy the place? Who knows? But we already know for certain whatever it is it will all be out of self-defense.

Gotta love that imperial logic at work.

Remember how we were told countries ought to be free to sign treaties with whomever they want? Wanna take a guess at the response if Ireland were to, say, invite China or Russia to establish a naval base in Ireland?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Orange Devil posted:

The best part is the indication that since Ol' Blighty might be vulnerable through "The Irish Backdoor" they really ought to Do Something to take care of their legitimate security concerns in their own backyard. Maybe install a friendly government? Maybe occupy the place? Who knows? But we already know for certain whatever it is it will all be out of self-defense.

Remember how we were told countries ought to be free to sign treaties with whomever they want? Wanna take a guess at the response if Ireland were to, say, invite China or Russia to establish a naval base in Ireland?

Ah ooh, up the Ru!

*Gets shot*

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Are the MI6 spooks good at color revolution? Can they smear antisemetic sheen on the current Irish government?

Got to put a pad lock on the backdoor.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

you must be fun at parties

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i dunno what air defenses a fire base like that would have outside of patriots (there must be something) but it doesn't seem too economical to have something like that at every loving outpost in the empire

i read something else about that attack a few days ago that the attacking drone essentially followed a us reconnaissance drone back to near the base, so it went undetected that way. dunno how true that might be

e: I see that is referenced in the wapo article

i suggest you look into what air defenses burgerland actually has that are less expensive than patriot batteries and more effective than decades old MANPADS because it's one of the funnier us will lose ww3 elements

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Regarde Aduck posted:

probably a good thing since WW3 starts in 2027 in the trek timeline

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Neoliberalism is finally ending the "French" part of the French Revolution. The death of nationalism in the imperial core is coinciding with the beginning of climate doom and a general destabilization due to huge increases in access to information. Going to own

Anytime else and the death of nationalism would be a beautiful thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fort Canary In The Coalmine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Original story was like "Actually they cleverly hid their suicide drone behind the US drone so they didnt know how to respond" and now its "Actually they couldn't have stopped it even if they had tried"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Original story was like "Actually they cleverly hid their suicide drone behind the US drone so they didnt know how to respond" and now its "Actually they couldn't have stopped it even if they had tried"

what do you mean american FPGAs on a drone killed american troops

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
haha. lol lmao.

I'm so getting sent to an internment camp when they learn nothing from this and start a war with China and take huge losses.

"We got our poo poo rocked by drones and decided to just keep embezzling money in wunderwaffe instead of basic air defense, time to have a genocide about it"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

haha. lol lmao.

I'm so getting sent to an internment camp when they learn nothing from this and start a war with China and take huge losses.

"We got our poo poo rocked by drones and decided to just keep embezzling money in wunderwaffe instead of basic air defense, time to have a genocide about it"

The interment camps will all be sold off to build luxury condos.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

The interment camps will all be sold off to build luxury condos.

That would lead to an unacceptable loss of value for the existing home owners, who are entitled to past performance. It'll be tied up in the courts for years, and the US is not at all shy about funding cops and white supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

it's time for prigozhin to come out of the shadows for one last job