Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Game Banana the main site for Persona modding told the mod community that mods that add the old music aren't allowed to be hosted there because they think it will be sold as DLC and they don't want to get DMCA'd by Atlus/Sega. The modding discord also banned it.

odd because it seems pretty clear that they aren't going to do it as DLC, given that they did DLC for 4 and 5 music already and datamining revealed a whole list of DLC with nothing relating to the original music

if anything it seems to be obvious, in demand and extremely easy to do which means that if they were going to do it, they already would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Somebody would lose some serious face within Atlus if it happened and that's before you even begin to get into Japanese licensing bullshit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dpulex posted:

lol P5 was quite bad and I hate all the qol improvements in this that make it a checklist completion simulator when not in combat.

then dont use them. solved this impossible puzzle for you.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dpulex posted:

I hope the persona 3 remake rumors are true. It has the best story and best soundtrack. Just make tartarus less tedious and it's a perfect game.

Dpulex posted:

lol P5 was quite bad and I hate all the qol improvements in this that make it a checklist completion simulator when not in combat.

:lol:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Persona 3 Reload: I have a slight commentary on the new mechanic found starting in midgame Tartarus and that is there is such a thing as too many minibosses probably

I'm definitely addicted though. 20+ hours since it came out on Game Pass yes I cancelled all my weekend social plans

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they should have made tartarus more tedious because i just one day'd the first block on merciless and at no point did i feel my soul leaking out of my body so it's not having the desired effect

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

they should have made tartarus more tedious because i just one day'd the first block on merciless and at no point did i feel my soul leaking out of my body so it's not having the desired effect

The challenge there is less in reaching the max floor, but grinding up enough money to spam the arcade for social stats (though in Reload it's more viable to spam physical attacks on the first few floors due to the money arcana cards being more frequent/potent, but that's still pretty slow).

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm not spamming the arcade, personally.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Five minute review (I'm only past the second full moon shadow) -

Features! Between the slick menus and the garden planters, it does feel like we underwent some sort of Time Compression - whoops we gave people Quality Of Life features in P4G and P5, better backport them; no more MARIN loving KARIN. Mitsuru is so girlboss she got us a discount Baton Pass, too (I love its animation; the blue line passing from party member to party member makes it look like my team is passing their One Braincell back and forth).
You can also pray at the Shrine to duplicate Skill Cards; I'm currently spreading Invigorate 1 among my low-level Personas like Chlamydia spreads in a retirement home.
I'm mildly annoyed they're making you go through an extra screen to cast a spell from a different persona - am I hallucinating or did P5R let you RB/LB switch personae on the battle screen?

Graphics! I don't mind that they're basically replicating a bunch of P5's skeumorphisms; the"Morning/Afternoon/After School/Evening" time cards contain a moving blue bar because it's a clock (and also Time Waits For No One). Elizabeth starts standing inside the Velvet Room transition, your menus all have some cool thing going on. Slay, we love some eye candy. Your Extremely HD Character model occasionally makes the rest of the world look blurry by comparison.

Writing! The graphics and feature updates makes the S Links look worse. At least they updated it so you don't have to do gross harem poo poo to max out S Links; minimum effort achieved. There's so many angles to explore death, inevitable change, and loss from. Remember P4's Death SLink and how it handled these topics with grace (and a big fat emotional gut punch, for anyone that's lost a family member to dementia?) Put the writers for Violet Evergarden and Tuca and Bertie on this, and create something that beats Spiritfarer for "Game with the most emotional DPS".
On the positive side, I'm an old fart now and so the Maya SLink owns. "i need my game and dirnky tiem but im haunted by deadlines Dx" she just like me fr fr.

Music! They put a Swampophone into Mass Destruction (and loving massacred Master of Shadow). The swampophone is actually growing on me; fighting death with the funkiest lil' guys this high school has to offer.
Their soundtrack DLC is ridiculous- it's not MP3 files like any other soundtrack DLC on Steam, it's an EXE that only plays music when in focus. Literally a stripped down version of the game containing only a Menu and the OST files. ATLUS don't gently caress up a port challenge, difficulty level MERCILESS.
Idk, google "how to rip unreal engine assets", it takes 30 seconds to rip (and most of a morning to tag) the files.

e: where's the Reaper to kick my poo poo in for loving about his tower?

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 5, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

The challenge there is less in reaching the max floor, but grinding up enough money to spam the arcade for social stats (though in Reload it's more viable to spam physical attacks on the first few floors due to the money arcana cards being more frequent/potent, but that's still pretty slow).

Is the arcade better than restaurant meals?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't know if the arcade is better, but I ate hamburgers every night and I'm at 5/6 in every social stat at the beginning of summer break.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also there's definitely a challenge in going through a whole block in 1 night, sp management. I've done both blocks I've gotten through in a single night so far and both times I ended up pretty thin in the sp department. Just barely killed the oracle boss at the top of the 2nd area with all my party dead and 4 hp on the MC. Merciless feels real well balanced to make fights feel close.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Can't believe they showed restraint and none of the DLC Persona start with Victory Cry.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like that you can buy darkweb URLs at the club now that tell you illegal things like "the vending machine display is broken" little dumb things for small benefits ftw.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

I don't know if the arcade is better, but I ate hamburgers every night and I'm at 5/6 in every social stat at the beginning of summer break.

looking around online it looks like 2 notes can be either 2 or 3 points of a stat, so i assume the arcade is 3 but well, you know what they say about assuming. i think the only stat this distinguishment matters with is academics since it takes so much more than the other two stats and the extra point can add up by the time you're maxed out (a post i found says courage is 80 max, charm 100 to max, and academics is 230) As a reminder dont forget to go to the school nurse the day after going to tartarus for the free/timeless courage point

Lunar Suite posted:

e: where's the Reaper to kick my poo poo in for loving about his tower?

well he's hanging around higher in the tower

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like that you can buy darkweb URLs at the club now that tell you illegal things like "the vending machine display is broken" little dumb things for small benefits ftw.

i need more 4pacs

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 5, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why did the Reaper show up after like 30 seconds on one floor?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sometimes he’s set to arrive exceptionally fast, it was the same in the original

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

He's excited to blow you up, don't be rude

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Why did the Reaper show up after like 30 seconds on one floor?

sometimes it just do be like that. hes not much of a threat if it takes a long time to show up

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zokari posted:

persona 5 didn't end with the characters using their magic powers to overthrow the japanese government and a bunch of people are still feeling betrayed by that
The finale of Shido's palace is about storming the parliament to violently overturn the national election.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

sometimes he’s set to arrive exceptionally fast, it was the same in the original

I never played the original! It was funny because it was just a few floors after 62 and from playing Persona 5, he never showed up very quickly at all. So on this one floor I've only been there for like less than a minute and he shows up and it freaked me the hell out.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The finale of Shido's palace is about storming the parliament to violently overturn the national election.

That isn't what happened. Shido wasn't elected in a national election he was chosen by the Diet. His party is still in control.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real problem with Shido is that after Skyrim I can't take the voice Keith Silverstein uses seriously anymore.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Flowing Thot posted:

That isn't what happened. Shido wasn't elected in a national election he was chosen by the Diet. His party is still in control.

He was still campaigning for his party in an upcoming election.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I am very glad I didn't play the original or remember/consume much story information, I like going into things without any particular expectations. Complaints about the remixed music mean nothing when you've only heard a song maybe once or twice in passing!

This is definitely not going to be an optimized run.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think memories of P3 help much for optimization. I feel like I learned more about how to optimize this game from P5 than from the original.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the only thing i offer for 'optimize' is dont waste an evening studying in your room

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i took 2 nights to finish the first tartarus block and i think that's fine personally

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lunar Suite posted:

Put the writers for Violet Evergarden and Tuca and Bertie on this, and create something that beats Spiritfarer for "Game with the most emotional DPS".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
3Load FTW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only real optimization change I think that really matters in P3R vs P3 is that you should never waste a day on a non-leveling social link unless you have no other choices.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is eating the 2x academics seafood course like always the right choice lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

The only real optimization change I think that really matters in P3R vs P3 is that you should never waste a day on a non-leveling social link unless you have no other choices.

How does that work? I thought you only got the 'I think I'll level this link up today' thing after you'd already done a few days with them. Or do some days just arbitrarily count more towards raising their level?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

i will and you cannot stop me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
junpei’s petulant phase did not last nearly as long as I remember

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

How does that work? I thought you only got the 'I think I'll level this link up today' thing after you'd already done a few days with them. Or do some days just arbitrarily count more towards raising their level?

It's based off the number of points you have with them, with correct answers and having a persona of the same arcana contributing more. However short of massively incorrect answers this will only become an issue later in a link. However later in the game you get a way to spend night time periods gaining points (but not raising social link level) and you'll probably have some night time to spare. Since the reward for maxing out S.Links is a Persona you can't really fuse until endgame it's better to spend time on things that can only be done during the day (i.e: actual level-raising social links) as opposed to things that can be done at night (gaining points, improving social stats, etc.) Since nobody gets reversed/upset if you ghost them for half the year you can just let them sit until you can raise their points without wasting a day.

The exception is maybe powerleveling Academics in order to get the free bonus items from Mitsuru on Academics or if you have nothing to do that day otherwise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

It's based off the number of points you have with them, with correct answers and having a persona of the same arcana contributing more. However short of massively incorrect answers this will only become an issue later in a link. However later in the game you get a way to spend night time periods gaining points (but not raising social link level) and you'll probably have some night time to spare. Since the reward for maxing out S.Links is a Persona you can't really fuse until endgame it's better to spend time on things that can only be done during the day (i.e: actual level-raising social links) as opposed to things that can be done at night (gaining points, improving social stats, etc.) Since nobody gets reversed/upset if you ghost them for half the year you can just let them sit until you can raise their points without wasting a day.

The exception is maybe powerleveling Academics in order to get the free bonus items from Mitsuru on Academics or if you have nothing to do that day otherwise.

Good to know. I'm trying to go guideless and the choice paralysis is a bitch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Another point of consideration is that unlike P4 and especially P5, links don’t really get you any extra benefits along the way. You just get more fusion exp and unlock the extra Persona at the end of it. Nothing like Confidant bonuses.

The only other thing that a SL can unlock is another SL (like how Chariot leads to Strength), otherwise if you don’t like a specific SL the only thing you’re losing is some fusion exp and a specific Persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh holy poo poo i love this Great Clock mechanic