Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Yeah thats someones fetish

Dumb Marketing Moves: Yeah thats someones fetish

Edit: are you goddamn kidding me with this snipe :doh:

Here's two of my cats squeezed into one kitty bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the new ads in Amazon shows...just why. my mom usually just flips on her phone until the ad is over. bonus points if the ad is for a show you are currently watching.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

That is an excellent marketing move, I want those cats

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cowslips Warren posted:

the new ads in Amazon shows...just why. my mom usually just flips on her phone until the ad is over. bonus points if the ad is for a show you are currently watching.

“HavE yOu HeaRd tHe One ABouT The iMMortaL Lord oF DReams?”

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was Larry Mullen and his son, which is actually much weirder.

Larry Mullen seniors son?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Cowslips Warren posted:

bonus points if the ad is for a show you are currently watching.
The CW app would do this, however it wouldn't put up the shows on the app until the day after they aired so the ads were always the current ads. Which meant that the episode you were watching was almost always spoiled by a commercial for the next episode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Agents are GO! posted:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Yeah thats someones fetish

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“HavE yOu HeaRd tHe One ABouT The iMMortaL Lord oF DReams?”

Stop that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Love this marketing email I got at work. No notes. I mean, [INSERT NOTES HERE IF ANY]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dumb Marketing Moves: We're working with organizations in the [INSERT INDUSTRY]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sure do love me some amorphous green pickle/lettuce blobs!

They compliment to tom-onion slivers so well.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sure do love me some amorphous green pickle/lettuce blobs!

They compliment to tom-onion slivers so well.

Clearly the toppings are Red Delicious apple slices, badly mangled cucumber, and fried botfly larvae.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Was there not a burger you could take a picture of?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Was there not a burger you could take a picture of?

It takes a lot of work and prep to make a crappy fast food burger look decent for a photoshoot. You can find tons of articles about all the weird poo poo they do to balance their marketing goals with not technically running afoul of the law. It's the same as cereal commercials using real cereal but fake milk. There's no way loving with prompts for half an hour is more work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It takes a lot of work and prep to make a crappy fast food burger look decent for a photoshoot. You can find tons of articles about all the weird poo poo they do to balance their marketing goals with not technically running afoul of the law. It's the same as cereal commercials using real cereal but fake milk. There's no way loving with prompts for half an hour is more work.

Yeah, food photoshoots are tricky.

But SURELY they must have hundreds and hundreds of EXISTING photographs of burgers from previous ads, right? Like...just go to the loving Whopper Photo Archive or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Honestly, with how much they would have needed to do for the burger to look nice, I'm surprised they didn't have it on a turn table and slowly rotate it to get 360 different shots they could use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, with how much they would have needed to do for the burger to look nice, I'm surprised they didn't have it on a turn table and slowly rotate it to get 360 different shots they could use.

They're so composed for the front view that I'll bet they just look like a weird messy wedge if you rotate them a few degrees to the side. But yeah, I'm sure you could get a handful of variations from each one to go into the photo vault, it's weird to not just grab some existing one in favor of a halfassed AI job.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's because photoshoot burgers only look good from a very narrow, highly curated 3 degrees wide angle.

Check out a video for a burger photoshoot. Being edible and being presentable are basically mutually exclusive

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Better get used to terrible AI images in ads if even looking through an archive of burger photos is too hard for Burger King marketing dept

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

Being edible and being presentable are basically mutually exclusive

nervously muttering this to myself at a job interview where most of the staff are lions

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I would be surprised if that wasn't a directive from higher-up: "AI pictures are really popular now, use it in our ads so the teens will eat Whoppers!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Better get used to terrible AI images in ads if even looking through an archive of burger photos is too hard for Burger King marketing dept

Which is odd because I thought (US at least) ads for foods have to be the ACTUAL food.

Like, the reason they go through those huge rigmaroles to get a decent photo of normally trash-looking burgers is because they have to. They can't use plastic/fake food in the ads.

Obviously, they have a huge amount of wiggle room in how they show that food, so long as it's technically, sort of, the same food you'd get at BK. They can choose the perfect bun, best looking lettuce and tomato, and, as said, stack it so it look good from one angle, melt the cheese with a blowtorch so it's not over or under melted, and even strategically squirt ketchup from a syringe on just the perfect spot. But it is all food. This...isn't.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which is odd because I thought (US at least) ads for foods have to be the ACTUAL food.

Like, the reason they go through those huge rigmaroles to get a decent photo of normally trash-looking burgers is because they have to. They can't use plastic/fake food in the ads.

I'm not so sure that's true, a lot of food photography is literally inedible or fake - like using motor oil for syrup, or shaving cream for whipped cream.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i click button i get burger, wage also

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it's an app where you pick ingredients and it AI generates your whopper

not sure if this makes it better or worse

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fishstick posted:

I'm not so sure that's true, a lot of food photography is literally inedible or fake - like using motor oil for syrup, or shaving cream for whipped cream.

That's only true if it's not the food you're selling. You can use glue for the milk if you're selling cereal, and oil for syrup if you're selling pancakes (I think.)

But if you're selling a Whopper, all those things have to be the ingredients of the Whopper.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I have a good friend who was an art director/prop guy out in Hollywood and between movies he would do a lot of commercial work. He told a story about how the food had to be edible, so whatever he added to it had to be edible.

They were trying to make a mountain of Rice Krispies, and couldn't get the pile to keep the right shape. The directors daughter allegedly suggested "just make a giant rice Krispies treat".

So they sent some poor PA to get a bunch of marshmallow fluff and mixed it in to be able to form the shape.

The cleanup was apparently a nightmare of sticky goo and bugs.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's only true if it's not the food you're selling. You can use glue for the milk if you're selling cereal, and oil for syrup if you're selling pancakes (I think.)

But if you're selling a Whopper, all those things have to be the ingredients of the Whopper.

Hence the “serving suggestion” labeling on cereal boxes, or “artistic rendition”.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If you use a real image of the Whopper, you don't get all the engagement from people talking about why you used an AI image.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This reminds me of that thread from years ago, I think it was also BK where you could create your own burger and order it. One submission here was simply a mustard stain. But I think the crown went to "Noah's Ark" which had two of each animal. One guy made a video of him eating it, and after the first bite exclaimed "OH MY GOD!", the best part of that was doubling it up with The Star Spangled Banner or O Canada.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I need to find the website again, but there’s a manufacturer that specializes in realistic plastic food replicas and it’s absolutely amazing. For example they about 20 different fish, not counting filets, cuts of salmon, etc. every vegetable imaginable.

They have a side business of making custom replicas for films, gifts, pranks etc. The customer reviews are adorable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
when i think about burger king i taste motor oil

edit: this may not be their doing. I might have been dropped at some point

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

I need to find the website again, but there’s a manufacturer that specializes in realistic plastic food replicas and it’s absolutely amazing. For example they about 20 different fish, not counting filets, cuts of salmon, etc. every vegetable imaginable.

They have a side business of making custom replicas for films, gifts, pranks etc. The customer reviews are adorable.
This is a whole industry in Japan, most of the restaurants have displays with plastic replicas of their food in the window.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Maybe this is a real savvy marketing move, actually

Facebook ad. Takes you to a silly website, that eventually takes you to the real site, where they sell guns (because you can't advertise that on Facebook)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Their preferred audience is way too dumb to get what that really means, but points for creativity!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This reminds me of that thread from years ago, I think it was also BK where you could create your own burger and order it. One submission here was simply a mustard stain. But I think the crown went to "Noah's Ark" which had two of each animal. One guy made a video of him eating it, and after the first bite exclaimed "OH MY GOD!", the best part of that was doubling it up with The Star Spangled Banner or O Canada.

That was the thread that finally got me to sign up. You can still find it by searching for "noahs ark burger" I think.

edit: https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/burgerking-noahs-ark/1/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQqdf2hlek

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262368 thread's here but a lot of the images are gone.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is what I was referring to earlier. Companies of course try to push it as far as they can, so you get insane poo poo like real burger buns, but with stuff wedged in the back to change the apparent shape.

CJacobs posted:

Their preferred audience is way too dumb to get what that really means, but points for creativity!

You might be surprised. Gun people are extremely used to the people who run social media, YouTube, etc having strict rules on firearms but nobody on staff who actually knows firearms. It quickly develops into semi-standardized idiolects for individual sub-communities where everyone knows that, eg, a video about a historical weapon used by the military of a made-up country is really saying "this was made by a current-day gunsmith, but presenting it like that inexplicably triggers YouTube to demonetized the video for teaching people to make/modify guns." You can find shitloads of discussions on how to play I'm-not-touching-you games with site policy or the law.

Anyone immersed in the online gun scene will instantly clock what "freedom dispenser" means.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 7, 2024

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How do I order my burger which is just an impossible patty and like 8 eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You can find shitloads of discussions on how to play I'm-not-touching-you games with site policy or the law.

Anyone immersed in the online gun scene will instantly clock what "freedom dispenser" means.

I believe it, thanks for informing me! Hopefully whoever buys one will enjoy their new pez dispenser thoroughly and as intended