Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Tiggum posted:

You know klingons, right? The Orville version of klingons are all male. But it turns out that's not their natural state of being, but actually the result of some kind of eugenics program from a long time ago. But it never worked 100% so occasionally a baby is born female and medically reassigned male. It then later turns out that there's a secret planet of all female klingons, and their leader hears 9 to 5 and it inspires her to come out of hiding and assert the right of female klingons to exist. And the writers try very hard to pretend that 9 to 5 is about gender equality or something rather than labour relations.

Also, Dolly Parton later on has a guest role as a historical holographic simulation of herself, like Stephen Hawking did on Star Trek.

Also also, the whole Moclan arc convinced a co-worker and friend of mine to finally relax his very conservative view on trans people, so I can't hold much of a grudge against the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Arivia posted:

Left wing social media turned this into Rogers being a homophobe.

Slobbering agent provocateur nutters tried to make this into something. Nobody bit.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dolly donated a million dollars to help develop the moderna covid vaccine. She also had the Dollywood menu item "Dixie Stampede" renamed to "The Stampede" because...

quote:

“There’s such a thing as innocent ignorance, and so many of us are guilty of that,” Parton says. “When they said ‘Dixie’ was an offensive word, I thought, ‘Well, I don’t want to offend anybody. This is a business. We’ll just call it ‘The Stampede.’ As soon as you realize that [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don’t be a dumbass.”
She's good people :3:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also also, the whole Moclan arc convinced a co-worker and friend of mine to finally relax his very conservative view on trans people, so I can't hold much of a grudge against the writers.

In show one of the Moclan's convert after watching Rudolph which is I think an example of media aging well. Rudolph I mean, that it still resonates today.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chrpno posted:

(except personally I hate the "poor me, I'm so pathetic and worthless" lyrics of Jolene, they've enabled a whole terrible genre of country)

It did also give us the Eldritch Abomination versions of Jolene, so there is that.

Is Weird Al still good or has something horrible come out about him? The worst thing I can think of was not asking Coolio if it was okay to parody Gangsters Paradise before making Amish Paradise, and Coolio's backlash led to Weird Al asking artists before parodying their work, so he does learn from his mistakes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Randalor posted:

It did also give us the Eldritch Abomination versions of Jolene, so there is that.

Is Weird Al still good or has something horrible come out about him? The worst thing I can think of was not asking Coolio if it was okay to parody Gangsters Paradise before making Amish Paradise, and Coolio's backlash led to Weird Al asking artists before parodying their work, so he does learn from his mistakes.

I think he's vaguely "has his family say Grace before dinner" Christian, but not vocally assholish about it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Samovar posted:

Slobbering agent provocateur nutters tried to make this into something. Nobody bit.

Yeah I was trying to figure out how to say it but I meant Twitter/tumblr insanity posting to be clear.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Samovar posted:

Yeah the story I heard about this is someone on the production crew said that Rogers told him that he probably shouldn't come out to the public about his orientation because bigots were always looking for some "moral outrage" thing to get the show cancelled, but he personally thought God loved him just the way he was and would be happy to be his wingman any time.

Which... I dunno if having Mr Rogers as your wingman at a gay bar is a great idea, but given the chance I'd do it just for the story

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m reading through the Flashman Papers and it feels like media that has aged poorly and then started to whip back around to aging well.

It’s bad if you sympathize with the main character, a racist, sexist rear end in a top hat who commits every sin known to man. It’s good when you realize it’s a series about how godawful the British are. It’s villainy told unsparingly from the perspective of the villain, and the author making every book hinge on the main character behaving poorly, and that poor behavior leading to every following travail makes it all become this fun circle of “Harry is accused at cheating at cards, makes an enormous rear end of himself and nearly kills somebody at a house party in the British countryside, and winds up nearly being scalped at Little Big Horn.”

The Ciaphas Cain Warhammer books being a tribute to these feels like seeing an episode of Sesame Street that riffs on Goodfellas once you’ve read the source material.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

mllaneza posted:

And on the plus side, she runs a foundation that will send your child a free book every month up through age 5. It's regionally funded, so if your area isn't included... then that's an opportunity for activism. The current total for books gifted is 229,832,740.

More than two hundred million books given to children.

This! My daughter gets super excited when we tell her a new book arrived.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Randalor posted:

He had been asking permission before that, there was just a miscommunication between managements. I think he became more careful after that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

selec posted:

I’m reading through the Flashman Papers and it feels like media that has aged poorly and then started to whip back around to aging well.

It’s bad if you sympathize with the main character, a racist, sexist rear end in a top hat who commits every sin known to man. It’s good when you realize it’s a series about how godawful the British are. It’s villainy told unsparingly from the perspective of the villain, and the author making every book hinge on the main character behaving poorly, and that poor behavior leading to every following travail makes it all become this fun circle of “Harry is accused at cheating at cards, makes an enormous rear end of himself and nearly kills somebody at a house party in the British countryside, and winds up nearly being scalped at Little Big Horn.”

The Ciaphas Cain Warhammer books being a tribute to these feels like seeing an episode of Sesame Street that riffs on Goodfellas once you’ve read the source material.

I feel like Ciaphas Cain is different enough that it stands well on its own. Ciaphas Cain is a coward (but is capable of being brave when its really needed), but isn't actually that bad of a person.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like Ciaphas Cain is different enough that it stands well on its own. Ciaphas Cain is a coward (but is capable of being brave when its really needed), but isn't actually that bad of a person.

Yeah, they definitely threw the training wheels on for the CC books. Still enjoy them, but man it’s night and day in terms of how serious you should take the main character’s assertions of what an awful cad they are.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ciaphas Cain's thing is imposter syndrome more than anything.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM, is definitely ambiguous by design as to how much of what he says about being a coward and doing heroic things simply for fear of being outed is true, and how much is really him being a genuinely empathetic and caring guy. I've only read the first omnibus, but between the setting and what I got from that, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get it that, yeah, actually Cain's a pretty decent dude who's just operating under two layers of obfuscation; the layer he presents to us in the text which paints him as a self-serving coward, and the layer which he presents to most other people which presents him as HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

Cain is a liar. Flashman is honest, at least with his audience.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cain is also the 40k equivilant of a 90 year old who spent their entire life in the military and is currently several drinks deep into survivors guilt while narrating the document that became the books, along with the editor being someone who actually worked alongside him. It is an interesting way of telling the stories, at any rate.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

He had been asking permission before that, there was just a miscommunication between managements. I think he became more careful after that.

Yeah, he also just does it as a courtesy, he's under no obligation to get permission to parody someone. He only tries to respect artist's wishes because he's being polite.

Also, Coolio being the one to throw a hissyfit is hilarious considering it's just a wholesale rip-off of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise." What was his argument? "How dare you make light of that song! I put my heart and soul into rewriting that!"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, he also just does it as a courtesy, he's under no obligation to get permission to parody someone. He only tries to respect artist's wishes because he's being polite.

Also, Coolio being the one to throw a hissyfit is hilarious considering it's just a wholesale rip-off of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise." What was his argument? "How dare you make light of that song! I put my heart and soul into rewriting that!"

I think it might have been that Al's white.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It happened again in the other direction when Lady Gaga's people told him no when he asked for permission to include his parody of "Born This Way" on an album - without consulting her first. The story came out and Lady Gaga said "What? Are you kidding? Absolutely yes, of course!" and "Perform This Way" became one of his bigger hits in years.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Feb 5, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

If we're being fair, Gangaster's Paradise is a fairly serious song and parodying it makes it a bit irreverent. Also, I am not sure how parody law works because a parody song can be without being sued but if you are profiting off of it you have to, I imagine, credit and pay the original song writers and producers?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm also fairly sure that they sorted the thing out ages ago and Coolio is fine with it now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm also fairly sure that they sorted the thing out ages ago and Coolio is fine with it now.

He’s dead. But yes they did sort that out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah Al said Coolio was fine with it after the first royalties check.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mooseontheloose posted:

If we're being fair, Gangaster's Paradise is a fairly serious song and parodying it makes it a bit irreverent. Also, I am not sure how parody law works because a parody song can be without being sued but if you are profiting off of it you have to, I imagine, credit and pay the original song writers and producers?

The thing about fair use is it has to actually be a parody of or commentary on the thing you're referencing. Most of his song "parodies" are actually just comedy songs using other songs as a basis and wouldn't necessarily pass the fair use test. He could pay the standard fee to record a cover though, which doesn't require permission.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Is Weird Al still good or has something horrible come out about him?

Weird Al made a better Devo song than Devo ever did with "Dare To Be Stupid" and Mark Mothersbaugh "hates him for it"

If this ever turns out not to have been a joke I will eat my shoe Herzog style

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah Al said Coolio was fine with it after the first royalties check.

Coolio was fine with it, Kurt Cobain was fine with it, Michael Jackson was enthusiastic about it… oh god, I realize now the problem with Weird Al. Everybody he parodies ends up dead!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's Weird

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Coolio was fine with it, Kurt Cobain was fine with it, Michael Jackson was enthusiastic about it… oh god, I realize now the problem with Weird Al. Everybody he parodies ends up dead!

The Nirvana one is one of my favorites though. Weird Al got Kurt on the phone to ask permission and Kurt gave him his blessing, then said "...wait, it's not going to be about food, is it?"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alaois posted:

its wicked awful lmao

Why would anyone's goto celeb be some guy from a D&D podcast and a poo poo webcomic

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Feb 5, 2024

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why would anyone's goto celeb be some guy from a D&D podcast and a poo poo webvomic
He was probably the funniest non-Pete Holmes person on the old College Humor related stuff. Even though I am a giant D&D nerd, I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of his tabletop RPG shows.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

let's do unproblematic favorites instead

carly rae jepsen

Stanislaw Lem

OK, he couldn't really write women characters

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Crescent Wrench posted:

The Nirvana one is one of my favorites though. Weird Al got Kurt on the phone to ask permission and Kurt gave him his blessing, then said "...wait, it's not going to be about food, is it?"

quote:

Yankovic proceeded to explain to Cobain what the idea for his satire was. “I said, ‘Well, no, it’s going to be a song about how nobody can understand your lyrics,’” he continued. “And he said, ‘Oh, sure, of course, that’s funny.’ That’s one of those phone conversations I wish I had recorded. I’d love to hear that myself.”

After ‘Smells Like Nirvana’ was released in April 1992, Yankovic only met Cobain once. “He just happened to be eating at an adjoining table with his friends,” he said. “This was after the parody had come out, so I got to go over and thank him in person. I just profusely thanked him and said, ‘Anything I can do for you, let me know.’ Kurt extended his hand to me and said, "Polish my nails". I loved that guy.’

:unsmith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah the story I heard about this is someone on the production crew said that Rogers told him that he probably shouldn't come out to the public about his orientation because bigots were always looking for some "moral outrage" thing to get the show cancelled, but he personally thought God loved him just the way he was and would be happy to be his wingman any time.

Which... I dunno if having Mr Rogers as your wingman at a gay bar is a great idea, but given the chance I'd do it just for the story

https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/04/10/mr-rogers-sexuality/ posted:

In conversation with one of his friends, the openly gay Dr. William Hirsch, Fred Rogers himself concluded that if sexuality was measured on a scale of one to ten: “Well, you know, I must be right smack in the middle. Because I have found women attractive, and I have found men attractive.”

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ha, I never heard that second part. That's great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Tiggum posted:

The thing about fair use is it has to actually be a parody of or commentary on the thing you're referencing. Most of his song "parodies" are actually just comedy songs using other songs as a basis and wouldn't necessarily pass the fair use test. He could pay the standard fee to record a cover though, which doesn't require permission.
Cover songs are covered under a compulsory/mechanical license where anyone can do covers so long as it's properly credited. Samples weren't really accounted for in law until the early 1990s when a separate set of rules were established.

A case involving song parodies went all the way to the Supreme Court in the 1990s and established that parodies are covered under fair use if they're substantially transformative. In the example of the court case, it was that 2 Live Crew's "Pretty Woman" was protected because while the opening riff/lyrics are very similar to the original version, the song veers off to be a vulgar parody of old love songs. It also found that there was little risk of 2 Live Crew 'stealing' business from country songwriters who don't have a stake in horny Miami bass club music.

I get that individually his songs are not explicit commentary on the parodied song in the same way 2 Live Crew's was, but he probably has a legal case on some broad "the history of Top 40 radio tells stories about grand romance and epic heroes and important social issues, and I am parodying that in my body of work by taking these songs and making them about frivolous mundanities and topics/people who are not given the same weight and attention". But also no one has ever taken Weird Al to court and he's received explicit permission for 99%+ of his songs so it's kind of moot. And if someone was to take him to court, one of the standards would be the idea that no one is buying/playing Very Popular Pop Song because they're buying/playing Weird Al's version instead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sometimes Weird Al gets tripped up when it comes to slang, but I think that's just the evolution of language. In the song Gump, he has the lyrics "his girlfriend, Jenny, was kind of a slut" so that he can rhyme it with "went to the White House, showed LBJ his butt" and, I'll be honest, it now feels really weird to hear Weird Al use such a strong word, but that sure was a word that got tossed around casually everywhere for decades. The most recent one was using "spastic" in Word Crimes. He wasn't aware that it was a derogatory term in the UK and other English-speaking countries on the level of the hard R. I don't know what he did outside of apologizing on Twitter that he wasn't aware that it was a loaded term outside the US.

There's also the time he asked Paul McCartney if he could do a parody of Live and Let Die that would be called Chicken Pot Pie, but Paul shut it down because he didn't want anything associated with him or his work to promote meat-eating. Weird Al didn't publish the song, but he performed it live a few times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66E8qWogMo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. It was shocking when Al used it in a lyric 28 years ago and it was shocking when Tay-Tay released a song called Slut last year

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are some lyrics on Running With Scissors that aged really poorly but Al is also someone who will never double down on that kind of thing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Asterite34 posted:

I think he's vaguely "has his family say Grace before dinner" Christian, but not vocally assholish about it

He's not Jewish????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why would anyone's goto celeb be some guy from a D&D podcast and a poo poo webcomic

lol webcomics