Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

did you paint the rock or use a real one?

You're not the first person to ask me that. To my shame, that's a failed attempt at doing airbrush marble. Task failed successfully.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Regarding my obliterator missing an arm; I ended up going the simple route as I need this guy for a game next week:

Crab claw arm from a Possessed and some greenstuff = sorted!

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

The coat and the little face look great! I’d love to see you push the contrast on the feathers more. They might look dingy at first with washes or shading but just play around until you find something that fits and then bring the white highlights back out. Contrast (between colors and values, not Contrast TM) is what really sells the perception that it is a tiny little bird and not just a piece of plastic.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on this desert camo scheme ?

Tried to do a similar variation of a British WW2 desert camo scheme - https://www.flickr.com/photos/whsieh78/14154995300

Challenger X

Behemoth

Heimdall Ground Monitor

Vedette

In some ways, painting tanks is harder than mechs, because theres large flat panels that are hard to give detail/paneling/depth to.

Also yellow sucks to paint. Had to do multiple coats to cover the black primer, and it was thick enough to obscure some of the finer details.

Will probably invest in an airbrush soon.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 3, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

my first quite rude thought of "well of course starting from that bad reconstruction of the caunter scheme ended up being a pain" aside... I think it does work on the models, if the main problem is painting the yellow I might start by trying swapping it for a cream or light tan shade? if you pick something similarly bright and saturated it should give much the same overall impression

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mooshiga posted:

The coat and the little face look great! I’d love to see you push the contrast on the feathers more. They might look dingy at first with washes or shading but just play around until you find something that fits and then bring the white highlights back out. Contrast (between colors and values, not Contrast TM) is what really sells the perception that it is a tiny little bird and not just a piece of plastic.

I definitely will, I'm moving on to the rest of the party for now just so they're game ready but I am wanting to come back to this guy later and work on this.

Speaking of, I got this fella done. The vague colour scheme was as per my player's choices, I would've taken it another direction personally but it's his dude :p

E: would certainly appreciate any feedback on weak spots or areas to touch up on it too!

Double E: awe crap forgot to pencil in his lips

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Assessor of Maat posted:

my first quite rude thought of "well of course starting from that bad reconstruction of the caunter scheme ended up being a pain" aside... I think it does work on the models, if the main problem is painting the yellow I might start by trying swapping it for a cream or light tan shade? if you pick something similarly bright and saturated it should give much the same overall impression

Yeah I think i need to find a paint with better coverage. Biggest pain is that these models are tiny. Its surprisingly hard to paint something about the size of a quarter.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
robot stomp!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
A Challenger for every occassion!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This guy rips. Love the tiny scale osl on the fire

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Hey y'all. I've been having a lot of trouble with Citadel's bone colored base paints over the past year or so. They all seem super viscous and cover horribly, unless I'm drybrushing, which makes purity seals and cloth 10x more challenging than it used to be.. Morghast Bone and Wraithbone have been the biggest offenders for me recently. I don't remember Citadel's Bleached Bone paint being this tough to use.

Is there a trick to em? Am I not shaking the pots enough? Should I just switch to a Vallejo bone color?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is very low humidity making dry brushing not very effective A Thing? It's bone dry where I live, and I find when I brush it off on paper towel or cardstock paper and then try to dry brush, it's so dry already that I don't seem to get the dry brush effect I see in videos.

For reference I'm using good quality mini paints with a very soft makeup brush

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Aliensandwich posted:

Hey y'all. I've been having a lot of trouble with Citadel's bone colored base paints over the past year or so. They all seem super viscous and cover horribly, unless I'm drybrushing, which makes purity seals and cloth 10x more challenging than it used to be.. Morghast Bone and Wraithbone have been the biggest offenders for me recently. I don't remember Citadel's Bleached Bone paint being this tough to use.

Is there a trick to em? Am I not shaking the pots enough? Should I just switch to a Vallejo bone color?

I’ve been using Army Painters Drake Tooth for bone as well as for the parchment on purity seals, and it takes about three thin coats. I’m not sure what the Vallejo equivalent is, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aliensandwich posted:

I've never had this problem with any Citadel base paints, so I can't help you there.

I can help with how I paint bone, though. I use Vallejo Model Color US Army Drab base, with drybrushed layers of VMC Dark Sand, sometimes finishing with some drybrushing or sponging of 2:1 Dark Sand and Liquitex Heavy Body Titanium White. Then I just apply a coat or two of Army Painter Speedpaint 2.0 Pallid Bone mixed ~1:1 with AP SP2.0 Medium.

For subs:
  • Literally any nice medium brown will work in place of US Army Drab. I used Citadel Steel Legion Drab previously.
  • VMC Dark Sand is a favorite of mine lately but VMC pale yellows/off-whites are all great. VMC Buff is so close to Dark Sand I can barely tell the difference. VMC Sand Yellow is yellower and brighter and also nice. Beige, Off-White, Ivory: all good.
  • Titanium white is titanium white. Any heavy-body artist's acrylic titanium white will be as good as another, and much cheaper and higher-quality than hobby paints. You can also use inks for highlight mixers. Not all of them mix nicely with hobby acrylics, but I've had good luck with Liquitex Titanium White Ink. (I don't have a thing for Liquitex, it just goes on sale a lot.)
  • The AP SP2.0 Pallid Bone thing is just something I'm fiddling with atm. Citadel Agrax Earthshade, AP Soft Tone, or really whatever yellowish brown ink you like would work.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Is very low humidity making dry brushing not very effective A Thing? It's bone dry where I live, and I find when I brush it off on paper towel or cardstock paper and then try to dry brush, it's so dry already that I don't seem to get the dry brush effect I see in videos.

I've seen some people use a damp towel or sponge instead of paper towels or cardstock which should alleviate the drying issue. Ideally you want to wipe off excess paint instead of water

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Just to check-

This is best done with an airbrush and stencils right?

I'm not sure how big that model is, but I seriously doubt my ability to freehand that on battletech scale 6mm tanks that are the size of a quarter.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mederlock posted:

Don’t use paper towel, what little moisture there is in the paint is instantly removed by being absorbed so when you come to paint on the figure you’re just smearing sticky pigment and instantly getting chalk.

Advise checking out the Artis Opus channel on YouTube to see how to dry brush well.

You can keep using the makeup brushes tho

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Best way to knock the dab of paint off the brush/even it out is to swipe it across the back of your thumb on the opposite hand a few times. Doesn't pull off all the moisture like already mentioned, the texture of your skin lets you see how heavy it will lay on, and quite literally to an extent lets you feel how saturated the brush is.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I use a 40mm zone mortalis base as a texture pallet to wipe off excess paint for dry brushing. As for bone I keep it simple; base with white and use AP Pallid Bone speed paint, sometimes two coats.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Yeast posted:

Don’t use paper towel, what little moisture there is in the paint is instantly removed by being absorbed so when you come to paint on the figure you’re just smearing sticky pigment and instantly getting chalk.

Advise checking out the Artis Opus channel on YouTube to see how to dry brush well.

You can keep using the makeup brushes tho

It definitely changed my drybrushing game when I learned that the brush shouldn't actually be dry. You want it just damp enough that the paint isn't flowing off it, but there's still enough moisture that you get a smoother coat that isn't all chalky.

Of course, in certain circumstances the chalkiness can be desirable, like when I'm drybrushing streets or sidewalks for urban bases, because that gives them a little bit of texture that looks good once it's given a wash; but perhaps not so much for skin or clothes. :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm still getting used to using an airbrush, when I'm not using the compressor (the cheap one with a tank off amazon, this particular one has "Timbertech abpst08" on the side) should I vent the pressure from the tank or can I just leave it sit pressurised?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Leaving compressed air in the tank can cause condensation which causes rust and eventual failure.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Yeah pulling the plug and hearing the POPpppsssssszzzzssssss is the best part!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

SiKboy posted:

I'm still getting used to using an airbrush, when I'm not using the compressor (the cheap one with a tank off amazon, this particular one has "Timbertech abpst08" on the side) should I vent the pressure from the tank or can I just leave it sit pressurised?

Always vent the pressure from the tank when you're done, to prevent rusting from condensation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Saint Celestine posted:

Just to check-

This is best done with an airbrush and stencils right?

I'm not sure how big that model is, but I seriously doubt my ability to freehand that on battletech scale 6mm tanks that are the size of a quarter.

It's a 1/35th kit, and I guess you could do it with a regular brush, but they absolutely used a ton of masks.

Digital camo on tiny things is a lot easier, because you just do some pointillist painting freehand - cover that thing with dots in the approximate right rectilinear configuration and let arms-length focus do the hard part for you.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

poop chute posted:

I’ve been using Army Painters Drake Tooth for bone as well as for the parchment on purity seals, and it takes about three thin coats. I’m not sure what the Vallejo equivalent is, though.

Cease to Hope posted:

I've never had this problem with any Citadel base paints, so I can't help you there.

I can help with how I paint bone, though. I use Vallejo Model Color US Army Drab base, with drybrushed layers of VMC Dark Sand, sometimes finishing with some drybrushing or sponging of 2:1 Dark Sand and Liquitex Heavy Body Titanium White. Then I just apply a coat or two of Army Painter Speedpaint 2.0 Pallid Bone mixed ~1:1 with AP SP2.0 Medium.

For subs:
  • Literally any nice medium brown will work in place of US Army Drab. I used Citadel Steel Legion Drab previously.
  • VMC Dark Sand is a favorite of mine lately but VMC pale yellows/off-whites are all great. VMC Buff is so close to Dark Sand I can barely tell the difference. VMC Sand Yellow is yellower and brighter and also nice. Beige, Off-White, Ivory: all good.
  • Titanium white is titanium white. Any heavy-body artist's acrylic titanium white will be as good as another, and much cheaper and higher-quality than hobby paints. You can also use inks for highlight mixers. Not all of them mix nicely with hobby acrylics, but I've had good luck with Liquitex Titanium White Ink. (I don't have a thing for Liquitex, it just goes on sale a lot.)
  • The AP SP2.0 Pallid Bone thing is just something I'm fiddling with atm. Citadel Agrax Earthshade, AP Soft Tone, or really whatever yellowish brown ink you like would work.

Cool cool. Thanks for the input. I'll have to try these out.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Finally finished this amazing bastard of a model.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Teaching a newbie to paint: my Scot warlord on the left, his Mandalorian commando on the right

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Nice work everyone.

I actually got something done! Not good, but done. Especially nice feeling, since I've had the Pariahs for... 16 years? And Trayzn was brand new at the time (it's actually my second Trayzin, since the first one I bought was more air bubble than resin. I has to hear a schpiel from the GW customer service agent that I might just not be used to the quality of Finecast, and the benefits of liquid green stuff).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Joining a Saga escalation league soon, so here's my first Anglo-Dane, the big man himself, Harold Godwinson

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I love the red and white shield. So good. Also, what did you use for your grass? It’s really nicely scaled for the size of the model.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Arcturas posted:

I love the red and white shield. So good. Also, what did you use for your grass? It’s really nicely scaled for the size of the model.

Thanks! The grass is Army Painter brand Battlefield Field Grass. It'd look better if I had an actual static applicator, but it gets the job done.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Okay, style question. I want to try for something like this:

It's a style I've seen from CMON, and I don't know of any youtube types who paint like this and have tutorials. Anyone have any suggestions?

It's basically an almost-but-not-quite cell shading technique. What's really interesting to me is that black lining is easy and looks great from far away but is usually ghastly close up. This seems to have really solid blending up from the lining to the shadows, and I'm trying to think of how to do that in a way that wouldn't take a lifetime per mini.

It's also a promotional image so it wouldn't shock me at all if this is at least partially photoshopped.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 5, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't really see cell shading, but I'm on my phone and can only zoom in so much. It just looks like if Richard Grey did some heavy panel lining with a pure black between color sections.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The shading on the miniatures makes them look flat from the fixed perspective of the diorama.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Those are from Darkest Dungeon, and look like thry’re trying to match the style of the game - 2d portraits with bold black lines, desaturated colors and strong light to wash things out a little. I can’t offer you tips, except that if you didn’t know they were from the game you should study it some, and recognize it’s mostly for on flat angle.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

what I could find for Mignola style mini painting.

Just use less black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OeEbv_Ramk

oh, duh. I should have just searched Darkest Dungeon miniatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0wc5q51UPA

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ah, the Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter. Years behind schedule, the devs keep asking for more money, and refunds are being doled out at the speedy pace of 2 people a month so the company doesn't go insolvent overnight.

First, and last, kickstarter I'll ever be involved with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Some kickstarters are actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Kickstarters for established mini companies are bullshit, they're literally there to capitalise on FOMO. I got massively soured on the latest Karol Rudyk one, where he was selling limited-edition STLs for 20 euros each.