Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

This is super helpful, ty. I'd mostly been upgrading the lower spells, I hadn't experimented much with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Blazblu is a riot.

Took me a minute to realize how ascension affected abilities. Initially I thought it was just levelling them up, but it's really nice that each bullet point is some aspect that you can slowly fill in our of order.

No loving clue what half the things I'm collecting are, how buffs/rebuffs/tactics etc all work, but Im sure I'll get there

So there's two main things:

Potentials are your moves. Importantly, they're also the only direct scaling damage increase you can get during a run, each potential you take gives 20% more damage - I think this is universal.

The other is Tactics, these are the elemental upgrades to your attack/skill/jump/dash/legacy/summon. There are a few independant/support tactics too.

For the Tactics, the unintuitive bit is the 'dual boons'/double element upgrades. Each tactic has 4 slots for upgrades, the initial one, two upgrades, and a final double element upgrade. To actually see wtf those are, open the tactics web and take a look at the *fourth* column. It has the other skills you need to have to pick up the fifth column/fourth upgrade.

This is also where legacy tactics from your other character evotypes come in - you can force a specific upgrade in the tree to appear, which you aren't guaranteed to see just selecting an element in a room. So if there's certain dual element tactics you really like, you can force them consistently.

So here, this fourth upgrade is actually an upgrade to the Icicles from either Icicle Dash or Legacy Icicle, and you have to go up the tree from Cold Skill/Attack to get here. The fourth upgrade directly below this one is an upgrade to Frost Burst, the 2nd/top upgrade and requires Skill Lightning to acquire, giving the Frost Burst more damage and the ability to paralyze.

The other convenient thing you can do on this screen that I didn't realize initially is push lb/rb l1/r2 <pc button> and cycle to other trees that use this skill tree somewhere as an upgrade. So here tapping R1 once on the Cold Tactic tree takes me over to the Ice Spike tree for Summon Cold, and specifically, it shows that you need Frost Burst, which is that 2nd/top upgrade in the Cold Skill/Attack tree you were just looking at.

You can access the Tactics screen any time you are selecting a new room with elements, so you can glance through your tactics and figure out what elements you need to pick up if you're prioritizing dual tactics - some of them are very strong.

The other main upgrade system is the metaprogression for your six badge slots that you get back in base. Leveling up there also gives you a passive +hp % buff, which helps offset some of the entropy difficulty as you start climbing difficulty ranks. You'll get those naturally pretty quickly as you complete quests and runs. I'd recommend grabbing +hp mixtures, +hp mixture health restore and +revive and level those up to get max uses of them, then fill in the other slots with relevant damage increases. There are also element specific badges if you want to see more of a certain element during a run, but I'd stick to generic upgrades until you know who you like playing and what elements you like on them.

edit: wrong info

edit lmao: I just ripped Susanoo's second form healthbar to zero in a single laser cannon. god bless Noel

victrix fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 5, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I checked out Path of Achra, to see what the hullabaloo is all about, and that game is the logical progression of what they're doing with DCSS, huh?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

So I checked out Path of Achra, to see what the hullabaloo is all about, and that game is the logical progression of what they're doing with DCSS, huh?

there's like two axes of complexity in roguelikes which are tactical complexity and build complexity. ie: how many different choices do you have on any given turn, and how many options do you have for building your character?

achra is not tactically complex, but has a good degree of build complexity. dcss has low build complexity, but used to have high tactical complexity... which is for some reason being deliberately ablated away.

what achra actually is is like if TOME had runs that took less than 12 hours and the stats page didn't require a phd in TOMEology to understand

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Tarnished Blood is pretty cool.
The combat reminds a little of Ronin, which I liked a lot, but more complex.

I love the idea of this but man the execution is just too fiddly at the moment. The game sometimes randomly locks in actions, you can't really make parallel plans with your team members safely.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

I love the idea of this but man the execution is just too fiddly at the moment. The game sometimes randomly locks in actions, you can't really make parallel plans with your team members safely.

It's not randomly. The tutorial tells you that as you lock in actions the earlier parts of the timeline get locked in by the vines, so you need to coordinate your actions along the flow of the timeline rather than one character at a time.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

cock hero flux posted:

there's like two axes of complexity in roguelikes which are tactical complexity and build complexity. ie: how many different choices do you have on any given turn, and how many options do you have for building your character?

achra is not tactically complex, but has a good degree of build complexity. dcss has low build complexity, but used to have high tactical complexity... which is for some reason being deliberately ablated away.

what achra actually is is like if TOME had runs that took less than 12 hours and the stats page didn't require a phd in TOMEology to understand

This is a great description. I respect Achra for it's design but don't like playing it, because I like stuff like RW and ToME (kinda) where you not only have sprawling lists of upgrades and skills but also 50 billion options each turn.
I wonder what stuff on the "low tactical and low build complexity" axis is. Vampire Survivors?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm guessing here is the best place to post about Peglin. Has anyone else played it? What is the progression system like after you beat the game? I'm having fun with the mechanics, even if the RNG element is a bit unfair sometimes.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm guessing here is the best place to post about Peglin. Has anyone else played it? What is the progression system like after you beat the game? I'm having fun with the mechanics, even if the RNG element is a bit unfair sometimes.

I go to it for a few runs after every few months

Progression is... not good for you if you don't like the unfair-ness of the RNG. The difficulty ramps up and the game gets more unfair. Someone else might be able to speak more to it though, I haven't played deep into the progression quite yet (only unlocked 2 or 3 of the peglins)

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
nth-ing Balatro love. I have a couple of 10+ hour flights shortly after the release, glad that I will have something to do!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

It's not randomly. The tutorial tells you that as you lock in actions the earlier parts of the timeline get locked in by the vines, so you need to coordinate your actions along the flow of the timeline rather than one character at a time.

No, I meant that as i was scrubbing back and forth and trying to figure out consequences, my tentative actions would randomly be locked in and the vine advance without me ever clicking ok.

The inability to trial multiple people's actions is a separate complaint.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished Entropy 45 run in BlazBlue - that unlocks all the rewards you get for increasing entropy level, but what I didn't realize until after finishing that, when I cranked every difficulty setting to max (goes up to Entropy 100) - there are second level rewards for each of the reward nodes.

Of course that's just giving you a fighting chance against this...

:stonklol:

Overall I really dig it, but I feel like it's a very strong foundation that *could* be improved on, if it keeps getting support. As it is, just playing through on each character is a lot of fun because they have such diverse kits, and having fighting game style in an action roguelite with this animation and art quality feels fantastic. Should they add more enemies, elite enemies with random powers, more bosses, etc, and keep refining the upgrade systems it could become something genuinely great.

victrix fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 5, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

victrix posted:

This is also where legacy tactics from your other character evotypes come in -

Okay you had me going until this sentence, A+

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tunicate posted:

Okay you had me going until this sentence, A+

The games good, but it really does use terms that make me think it's a mobile game/dating-sim

I mean, the whole thing is framed as a VR training sim, it's a little bizarre

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Thanks for the Achra recommendations, after I few times i won with a bit of a lopsided build:

I just got to stand around while my character annihilated everything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In Path of Achra, I've been trying to do a martial + lightning evade build and haven't been able to get it to work.

Usually some time after the purple tower I get one-shotted

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Fool posted:

In Path of Achra, I've been trying to do a martial + lightning evade build and haven't been able to get it to work.

Usually some time after the purple tower I get one-shotted

any evasion build is going to need to conserve at least one charge of divine protection and also stack loads of speed because something is eventually going to hit you and it is going to one shot you when it does. you need to survive being one shot, and then immediately get 10 turns in a row to kill everything that could possibly deal any more damage to you

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

The games good, but it really does use terms that make me think it's a mobile game/dating-sim

I mean, the whole thing is framed as a VR training sim, it's a little bizarre

I believe it started life as a mobile game. It's weird because there's no trace of it now other than the obvious mobile remnants (character unlock tokens, badges that were gacha bullshit initially and I'm sure intended to combine with each other if you got dupes - they just removed that entirely in a recent patch). I don't know if it's because of the gaas implosion or something else. It's also really weird in production values. The art, effects, music, all top notch. The voice acting for the cutscenes is even solid. The actual script, and translation in general is just passable.

However it started the team in charge of it now seems to be pretty responsive to complaints (they patched in an EA-save converter to bring progress forward within like a few days of complaints after launch).

As for evotypes, if you've got a handy english word for 'the last character you played saved with its skills for you to merge with your current run character' I'll use that instead :v:

Even the skill web is way less confusing than it looks, it's just an in-game tool to find all the 'duo boons', and see all the skill upgrade trees, something Hades and a lot of other roguelites lack entirely that gets offloaded to a wiki somewhere

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Entropy effect translations:

Tactic - perk/trait
Evotype - character you ended a run with
Evotype rating - the score the game gives that character's build (mostly based on number of tactics/potentials acquired)
Potential - hades hephaestus hammer
Entropy - Heat/ascension
Legacy - Ability granted by a character you used on a previous run
Legacy tactic - Trait granted by a character you used on a previous run

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Having a system that encourages you to do repeated runs so that you can luck into being able to save specific upgrades leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Having a system that encourages you to do repeated runs so that you can luck into being able to save specific upgrades leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

the main bonus from inheritance is legacy skills and traits and those are static from the word go, the tactic inheritance is just a bonus. I had both traits and tactics disabled in my e45 run so it's not like they're mandatory by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not sure why you're looking a gift evotype in the mouth, it's a cool system

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix posted:

Overall I really dig it, but I feel like it's a very strong foundation that *could* be improved on, if it keeps getting support.

lol, lmao posted:

As you know, 91Act has been laid off today due to its cash flow failure.
After today, the production team of "Grey Wing: Chaos Effect" will only be left with producer Jiang Lei. As of last night, we were still working on the patches, making them available, and studying your feedback to make the game even better. From EA all the way, in the witness of the players, we will push this game to the official version, "pale wings: Chaos Effect" production team of the whole fight to the last moment, as a member of the production team, I will stand the last shift, for everyone to serve the end. As the boss, the factory director has done his best to protect his employees. Therefore, I believe that as a producer, Jiang Lei will try his best to continue to operate the game and protect the interests of players as much as possible. Thanks to the players who have been supporting the production team of "Grey Wings: Chaos Effect", we love this game, and still look forward to the opportunity to write this answer sheet to perfection in the future.

:aloom:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

No Wave posted:

Entropy effect translations:

Tactic - perk/trait
Evotype - character you ended a run with
Evotype rating - the score the game gives that character's build (mostly based on number of tactics/potentials acquired)
Entropy - Heat/ascension
Legacy - Ability granted by a character you used on a previous run
Legacy tactic - Trait granted by a character you used on a previous run

These are all a mile better, it's so weird

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Fuckin' welp. That's a shame, the game had some good ideas.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

victrix posted:

Finished Entropy 45 run in BlazBlue - that unlocks all the rewards you get for increasing entropy level, but what I didn't realize until after finishing that, when I cranked every difficulty setting to max (goes up to Entropy 100) - there are second level rewards for each of the reward nodes.

Of course that's just giving you a fighting chance against this...

:stonklol:

Overall I really dig it, but I feel like it's a very strong foundation that *could* be improved on, if it keeps getting support. As it is, just playing through on each character is a lot of fun because they have such diverse kits, and having fighting game style in an action roguelite with this animation and art quality feels fantastic. Should they add more enemies, elite enemies with random powers, more bosses, etc, and keep refining the upgrade systems it could become something genuinely great.

Yeah, the fact that the enemies don't really scale in behavior in higher entropy levels aside from bosses getting some new things means that the stages are roughly the same, with the exception of a couple particularly terrible debuffs. Enemy death bombs and intermittent lightning make things a lot more stressful. I find the restrict or obscure choice entropy options not very fun even though those options do force you to play outside your comfort zone most of the time since you can't force the option you really want.

Also, it's disappointing that there's 6 entropy points locked behind turning off the passives/inherited tactics from your past evotypes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

w00tmonger posted:

These are all a mile better, it's so weird

Eh, it makes sense that the game with the really bizarre setting would use weird terminology. I think the terms No Wave used are better (and a few are standard I think?), but yeah it makes sense that the weird game would use weird terms. That said,

No Wave posted:

This is too specific to Hades. Most people have played that game, but really a better description of Potentials is just "Moveset upgrades." Potentials give you new moves and change the way your moves work, so I think Moveset Upgrades is perfect.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Agrinja posted:

I suck at Rift Wizard and feel like I'm missing something. I keep getting overwhelmed in realm 8ish.

my usual (sorcery) strat is to get a few cantrips and good low level spells and then rush arch sorceror. as the game goes later higher level spells and especially skills pay off really well since in the base game a good build gets plenty of mana potions but you can only use one spell a turn

a good build for sorcery is to do lots of fire damage and then get star fire and other damage redeal skills for more damage and to deal with resistant enemies. searing heat means any fire spell damages anything in line of sight. prince of ruin takes care of crowds. really if you are getting overwhelmed and running fire, lightning, or physical damage prince of ruin is amazing

the holy poopacy gave you a run down on some good lvl 2 spells,
i like to take one or two of these lvl 3 spells on early levels before working on skills

silver spear: does great damage, lots of charges, and does aoe damage against dark and arcane enemies. most phys immune enemies are one of these. note that the aoe doesn't work on generic undead and demons

flame burst: with fire skills you can just cast this a few times and destroy a whole level

nightmare aura: early game you can clear whole levels with this, later it's still good for killing chaff, pinging off shields, and softening hard to reach gates

void beam: very versatile, does strong damage, lets you snipe gates, lets you dig holes for offensive and defensive purposes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

given it's an English translation of a Chinese game from a Japanese IP covering a wide range of mechanics, I think they did an ok job :v:

(honestly it's not really confusing when you're playing, it's just a mess to write about)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Last I played, there were two types of progression:

1. Cruciball, which is the game's difficulty ramping system. Each level of Cruciball makes the game harder in some way, e.g. enemies have more HP, your starting deck is worse, stores are more expensive. Expect that eventually you'll hit a point where the game becomes more frustrating than fun, since there's just so much RNG to it.

2. Character unlocks. There's a few different characters, who specialize in different kinds of orbs, e.g. the scientist uses lots of slime orbs. Unlocking them is, in my experience, pretty much entirely luck-based.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it wouldn't be blazblue if your head wasn't spinning while they throw words like "evotype" at you

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jazerus posted:

it wouldn't be blazblue if your head wasn't spinning while they throw words like "evotype" at you

10/10 feeling of the bb story incoherence via language, a diegetic masterpiece

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
edit: oops there's a balatro thread

err fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 6, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

oh my god, at higher alert levels in Oblivion Override there are little loving spiders that will hit you to steal your perks then run away

I hatelove it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

victrix posted:

oh my god, at higher alert levels in Oblivion Override there are little loving spiders that will hit you to steal your perks then run away

I hatelove it
I had to stop playing because at alert five I can't handle evolved gladys. Trying to manifest some kind of change.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Finally played Noita for the first time in a lull between my children’s epic diarrhea episodes. Gotta say that washing contaminants off my body in clean water is more fun with a magic wand than a crying toddler. 7/10 initial impression, looking forward to getting better and further.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No Wave posted:

I had to stop playing because at alert five I can't handle evolved gladys. Trying to manifest some kind of change.

abuse the poo poo out of the snowballing tech perks that gives scrypt + the scrypt to nanite upgrade

likewise with execute and the execute perk that gives attack power/speed permanently (the health one is ok too), really mean on Lee with his throwing knives + knives from hologram executing

if you go super greedy it can pay off big, though you are giving up some upfront power - I think its worth it if you shuffle into the early scrypt payout stuff, if you get the nanite X from scrypt reward rolling by area 2 you're in great shape

alternately I had good success with either Vik (just raw attack power and a fukken hammer) or Thundario (dashing lightning and any decent shock weapon)

Conte might be viable too but I do not know how you safely counter the evolved bosses, the upgraded magician is a motherfucker, and the skull in the second area went from lol free win to 'what the gently caress is that pattern'

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah that last one is the fight I'm referring to. I just hate it. I'll play again if it gets changed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

No, I meant that as i was scrubbing back and forth and trying to figure out consequences, my tentative actions would randomly be locked in and the vine advance without me ever clicking ok.

I went back to the demo to check. Moving the timeline seeker auto-confirms the action, as if you pressed OK first.

It is pretty awkward, I agree, hopefully they'll change that for the full release because I think the game has a pretty cool combat system. The UI just needs some polish.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The monkey's paw curls with regards to BB:EE. The devs were very responsive to all the complaints about the changes from EA to release and addressed them very quickly and even mentioned they are aware of the demand for traditional co-op PvE instead of the extraction mode and want to start working on it.

But 21Ace went belly up due to some sort of deal with Kadokawa falling through and are now on a shoe string staff of I think just 1 person left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

How is that a monkey's paw? The players asked for a feature, it hasnt been implemented but the game is pretty good regardless, and also the studio is closing.

EDIT: Oh unless you mean the terrible extraction mode that was implemented. yeah it sucks.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2024