Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pass a federal regulation that anybody using an apple vision pro in public has to display the url of the page theyre looking at on the outside screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

haveblue posted:

all the system UI examples so far seem to hold the virtual content stationary with respect to the environment so I'm really not sure how you could use it while walking without constantly leaving your windows behind

it's showing off, op. they're doing it because they think it'll make people believe they're cool living in a cyberpunk always connected future

does the vision pro tether to an iphone or something for internet while away from wifi?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fabricated posted:

I would like to ask our criminal element to step it up a bit and do the needful here

important update for our criminal element, because at this point I care more about them than about someone who would buy an Apple Vision Pro and then wear it in public.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7331590408390118698

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Jonny 290 posted:

pass a federal regulation that anybody using an apple vision pro in public has to display the url of the page theyre looking at on the outside screen

:hai:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jonny 290 posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol got one of those Fabric of the Universe ads on IG again

cyberpants restock!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can I make the vision pro display emoticons like the guy in watchdogs 2

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

haveblue posted:

can I make the vision pro display emoticons like the guy in watchdogs 2

we haven’t even gotten the Westworld emotion shirt yet

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

x-poastin

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beve Stuscemi posted:

important update for our criminal element, because at this point I care more about them than about someone who would buy an Apple Vision Pro and then wear it in public.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7331590408390118698

that's all good advice but what he doesn't mention is this: you can do the crime and then run away

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

big scary monsters posted:

you can do the crime
:raise: dont you have to be gay first?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

call me crazy but i don't advocate for crimes being committed against people for wearing VR headsets in public. i mean if they are sitting in a cafe or on transit, not bothering anyone, who cares. i will absolutely judge them for being a massive dork, for sure. being ostracized by their peers and getting heckled is good enough for me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm not going to go and slap the nerd goggles off anyone's head, but when you see this video it is certainly fun to think about

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/GregoryMcFadden/status/1754258896011563259

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wow!

That's it. That's the product. It's identical to the "i am rich" app that apple banned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's showing off, op. they're doing it because they think it'll make people believe they're cool living in a cyberpunk always connected future

nah, if that's what they wanted, they could have done it with an oculus quest for the last several years (and no pocket battery pack required).

...but an oculus is 300 bucks. they're showing off that they can spend $3500 on the latest apple gizmo. that's it

polyester concept posted:

call me crazy but i don't advocate for crimes being committed against people for wearing VR headsets in public. i mean if they are sitting in a cafe or on transit, not bothering anyone, who cares. i will absolutely judge them for being a massive dork, for sure. being ostracized by their peers and getting heckled is good enough for me.

as we all know, everything on yospos is posted in deadly earnest.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

lmao that's pathetic. not even a floating compass? an arrow overlaid on the ground?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

lmao that's pathetic. not even a floating compass? an arrow overlaid on the ground?

yeah you'd think it'd at least lay down a cool laser trail on the ground or w/e

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is hilarious, because i built a prop for a halloween costume this year that had that level of ar integration with the environment (none whatsoever). it was a laptop connected to a headmounted display.

notably, it did not cost me thirty five hundred american dollars to make

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
walkin around town with my pinched fingers up in the air in front of me like an italian with a speech impediment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you can get better AR directions by holding up your iphone in front of your face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eMX0KTlYk0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would prefer a stealth setup, with some sort of small...idk wrist mounted device or something, that might use haptics to tell me to turn right or left

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the true augmented reality is the punches you take to the face along the way

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the weird thing about apple vision is how 2D everything is, just a bunch of flat windows floating in midair

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

is there a pokemon go app for it yet or what

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

polyester concept posted:

yeah me too, officer

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah you'd think it'd at least lay down a cool laser trail on the ground or w/e

quest trail breadcrumbs? that'd be terrifying

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow!

That's it. That's the product. It's identical to the "i am rich" app that apple banned.

it's even better. it's 3.5 "i am rich"s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

is there a pokemon go app for it yet or what

pokemon go was an NSA op so i am sure they're hot on the case

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gonna hafta go into a little more detail about that one, jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
both ingress and pokemon go were run by Niantic which is an NSA op to correlate behavioral and traffic patterns and tighten up gps data with data usage and user habits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niantic,_Inc.

the fun pokemon game was designed to learn where you are standing at when you're doing what you're doing. It's not good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's on the same level of tinfoil hattery as "roombas are mapping out your house's traffic patterns based on how much dust is on the floor in any given spot" which sounds ridiculous on the face, but it's also true, and do you just want to give that data away for free?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Gonna hafta go into a little more detail about that one, jonny

here's something that draws out the lines a little more clearly

https://www.networkworld.com/article/953621/the-cia-nsa-and-pokmon-go.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

is the dude a CIA spook? probably not. Is Niantic in bed with the CIA or NSA? the idea is certainly not inconcievable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

"roombas are mapping out your house's traffic patterns based on how much dust is on the floor in any given spot"

wait, do roombas actually sense dust on the floor? i thought they just did random walks at regular intervals to sweep the space

admittedly, i have not kept up with roomba developments. they absolutely mapped your house though, yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the slightly more expensive roombas will sense when they pass over a particularly dirty spot and do a donut or two there. not sure how the sensor works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they have dirt sensors for both stuff on the floor and stuff that gets sucked up. Early roombas did not map your house and instead just bounced around a bunch and, when detecting a significant amount of dirt, would do a spiral pattern to try to get it all. to create sections for cleaning you would put down IR beacons at a doorway or room entrance. initially the ir beacon is treated as a wall but then after bouncing around enough in the first section, it would go thru the virtual wall created by the beacon and on to the next section. note that this was not done with mapping, and was down to the robot having line of sight with the beacon.

modern roombas have some of the same behaviors but also better sensors and persistent mapping. After a few runs it will generate a map that you can divide into sections and label without needing the ir beacons. they will also detect areas that are frequently dirtier and spend more time there in subsequent runs.

The old ones didnt connect to the internet at all, but the new ones all connect to the internet directly and then you control them via the app over the internet. There is no offline mode w/ the app. You can run them without connecting them to the internet, but you lose all the mapping features.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Jonny 290 posted:

It's on the same level of tinfoil hattery as "roombas are mapping out your house's traffic patterns based on how much dust is on the floor in any given spot" which sounds ridiculous on the face, but it's also true, and do you just want to give that data away for free?

yospos is great

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you came to the cyberpunk thread and scoff at the idea that the roomba is - by design or otherwise - mapping out the paths you take in your apartment and storing those maps in a place a SWAT team could access them, then why are you here in the cyberpunk thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they collect the data, they sell it, advertisers buy it, and everyone swears its gonna be useful for something but nobody has quite figured out what