Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: :smugdon: has had that performative clutter on his desk for decades now. its probably the same exact crap.

lol. Those are the same exact papers they dumped on Fred Sr.’s desk to keep him thinking he was productive and in charge.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have no idea why I even have to ask this, but is there literally anything, like even a random off the cuff comment from someone in NATO that they are basing this whole psyop poo poo off of?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

chappey posted:

is that the diet coke button?

E: curse you floating triangle!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
In the comments the uploader of the video says this is from May 1996. Chat rooms were a new thing back then.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1754538282128421168

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

cr0y posted:

I have no idea why I even have to ask this, but is there literally anything, like even a random off the cuff comment from someone in NATO that they are basing this whole psyop poo poo off of?

If they have nothing to hate, they have nothing. They are the muttering shithead you know to stay away from, the angry relative that causes you to skip family gatherings, the turbo fuckhead that causes you zero surprise when they get the poo poo kicked out of them. They are of no use and don't want to be. This is the death rattle of their relevance, next up is terrorism so blatant even Democrats have to do something or something gets eradicated.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am still not convinced SCOTUS wants to functionally annoint Trump as emperor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Aw, no habba in front of the Supreme Court? Sad.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There's like a line of legal scholars and lawyers I'm sure who are just looking at their phones waiting for the :yooge: I've got a deal for you call

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Welp I guess we're finally getting into the beginning of the end

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toxic Mental posted:

That movie where all the actors played themselves?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

E: curse you floating triangle!

Lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cr0y posted:

I am still not convinced SCOTUS wants to functionally annoint Trump as emperor.

scotus has for the most part shot down stupid poo poo trump wanted like this. they are find doing awful poo poo when its almost already defacto dead OR they have legal cover. helping trump in the way he wants gives them neither.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah, for Trump and MAGA Republicans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For those of us who cannot/will not click through on to Musky-boi's lovely former-bird-site, what does the rest of it say?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bird food bathtub posted:

For those of us who cannot/will not click through on to Musky-boi's lovely former-bird-site, what does the rest of it say?

The guy loves undermining the authority of state and federal courts and hates abortion stuff

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

scotus has for the most part shot down stupid poo poo trump wanted like this. they are find doing awful poo poo when its almost already defacto dead OR they have legal cover. helping trump in the way he wants gives them neither.

i think the immunity stuff is gonna get an eyeroll for sure, but the 14th amendment crap i think could easily go either way. the good news is that if it goes the 'wrong' way, it's functionally business as usual; i don't think anyone is going to be swayed by the supreme court saying "you can stay on the ballot", regardless of the justification. if it goes the 'right' way, that's functionally it, doneski, trump is toast and there is little to stop all the states deferring to the SCOTUS's judgement on the topic of disqualification.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

golly, can't wait for SCOTUS to hear arguments this week and not make a ruling for 10 months

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol the world wrestling federation got its rear end kicked by the world wildlife foundation

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Rather, if Mitchell's name sounds familiar, it might be because his willingness to flout then-existing constitutional law, coupled with a *creative* enforcement idea, brought us S.B. 8, Texas's abortion law that is enforceable by citizens, not law enforcement. 2/

Or maybe, that's because after Dobbs, some observed Jonathan Mitchell wasn't just committed to eradicating legal abortion. Rather, as
@JeannieSGersen
wrote last fall, "his is to undermine the Court itself as the final authority on the meaning of the Constitution." 3/

But in the meantime, Mitchell seems content to undermine the authority of state supreme courts as the arbiters of their own states' laws, a position squarely at odds with the deference SCOTUS historically has given state supreme courts. 4/

At the very end of Trump's brief, he writes, "The law of Colorado is what its statutes say, and opinions from the judiciary that interpret those statutes need not be followed if they flout the enacted language and disrupt federal interests of enormous importance." 5/

After all, who needs federalism or judicial modesty when Trump is both the client & your means to a very different end? In Mitchell's world, red states reign supreme--and there's little the federal government can do or say about it, Supremacy Clause be damned. FIN

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Coolguye posted:

i think the immunity stuff is gonna get an eyeroll for sure, but the 14th amendment crap i think could easily go either way. the good news is that if it goes the 'wrong' way, it's functionally business as usual; i don't think anyone is going to be swayed by the supreme court saying "you can stay on the ballot", regardless of the justification. if it goes the 'right' way, that's functionally it, doneski, trump is toast and there is little to stop all the states deferring to the SCOTUS's judgement on the topic of disqualification.

Agreed on all counts.

Until a court of law finds Trump guilty of attempted insurrection or whatever anyone wants to call it, the ballot complaints are likely to be dropped. At the same time, the court may also decide that states have the right to organize their own ballots however they see fit. It's kind of a toss-up.

The immunity stuff though? The court's going to almost certainly laugh that out of the room. The three branches can't hold the others in check if two of them are hamstrung by bullshit invented by the executive branch. It's a blatant power grab - which is why the shiny new attorney is the same one who has a history of wanting to undermine the SCOTUS to begin with. I'm sure they'll love getting the chance to talk to that rear end in a top hat.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Accipiter posted:

Until a court of law finds Trump guilty of attempted insurrection or whatever anyone wants to call it, the ballot complaints are likely to be dropped. At the same time, the court may also decide that states have the right to organize their own ballots however they see fit. It's kind of a toss-up.

While I agree with most of your post, I really can't see the SCOTUS ruling that the a portion of the constitution, the 14th amendment, is up to interpretation on a per-state basis.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

So Peter Graves is gonna fight a bunch of giant grasshoppers now?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Rather, if Mitchell's name sounds familiar, it might be because his willingness to flout then-existing constitutional law, coupled with a *creative* enforcement idea, brought us S.B. 8, Texas's abortion law that is enforceable by citizens, not law enforcement. 2/

Or maybe, that's because after Dobbs, some observed Jonathan Mitchell wasn't just committed to eradicating legal abortion. Rather, as
@JeannieSGersen
wrote last fall, "his is to undermine the Court itself as the final authority on the meaning of the Constitution." 3/

But in the meantime, Mitchell seems content to undermine the authority of state supreme courts as the arbiters of their own states' laws, a position squarely at odds with the deference SCOTUS historically has given state supreme courts. 4/

At the very end of Trump's brief, he writes, "The law of Colorado is what its statutes say, and opinions from the judiciary that interpret those statutes need not be followed if they flout the enacted language and disrupt federal interests of enormous importance." 5/

After all, who needs federalism or judicial modesty when Trump is both the client & your means to a very different end? In Mitchell's world, red states reign supreme--and there's little the federal government can do or say about it, Supremacy Clause be damned. FIN

I wonder how receptive even the Trump SCOTUS chudges will be to an argument in the form of "SCOTUS is powerless, all hail me - the ultimate arbiter of what is or is not law"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol the desperation is real

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Toxic Mental posted:

Do you think Nine Inch Nails is too hard for how loudly the clownshoes are honking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9C5y5cag4

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I hope they rule we can keep him off the ballot solely because it will cause some frothing mouthed chuds to die due to blood pressure.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oooohhhh, that rear end in a top hat. Yeah that tracks that he would be Trump's point man on this. Dude is absolutely cranking his hog raw at the idea of getting it past them.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I like her music, she's alright. But how did she blow up like this? An attractive, kind-hearted, talented woman who makes music that young people crave and someone that they can identify with. In America? This has never happened before.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

lol the desperation is real

I still marvel at how up his own rear end he is. He peaked at, then never left the set of The Apprentice.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Aramis posted:

While I agree with most of your post, I really can't see the SCOTUS ruling that the a portion of the constitution, the 14th amendment, is up to interpretation on a per-state basis.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the 14th amendment might not apply at all to the states' arguments without a conviction on the books.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Donald Trump wants to be the PEEOTUS lol

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

There will never be an end to the Tumbo threads because there will always be a Tmup inside all of us. He'll always be all aroun’ in the dark. Wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat hamberders, he’ll be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, he'll be there cheering it on. And when his heart finally gives out and he drops to the ground, simultaneously making GBS threads and moaning – why, we'll all be there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Aramis posted:

yeah, me either. resolving these sorts of disputes is literally what the SCOTUS is for. it's their primary function.

they can't punt on this, they're gonna need to do it, and they're going to need to do it pretty fast. they can't wait 10 months on this. the longer the presidential election period goes on without a decision on this, the higher the likelihood of some sort of major constitutional crisis - and that crisis would be ENTIRELY of SCOTUS's making.

they have every reason to make this a big priority and get back quickly, and a lot of reasons to avoid going slow.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does Biden have anything setup for the Superbowl? The chud meltdown would be very fun to watch

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Accipiter posted:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the 14th amendment might not apply at all to the states' arguments without a conviction on the books.

they functionally can't take that pathway forward. the 14th amendment specifically defines insurrection, not a conviction of insurrection or whatever. a definition for it is also in there. demanding a conviction would basically be the high court punting it off to a bunch of lower courts, which isn't how any court system has worked in the history of ever.

they were able to pull this poo poo with Roe v Wade because they punted it from the high court to state legislatures, which is perfectly fine if completely ghoulish in roe's case. punting it back down to lower courts would not be valid.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Oooohhhh, that rear end in a top hat. Yeah that tracks that he would be Trump's point man on this. Dude is absolutely cranking his hog raw at the idea of getting it past them.

I hope he suffers a terrible steam roller accident by a Trump-appointed steam roller operator and can’t get medical coverage because he “didn’t believe in Obamacare”and has to do a go fund me to replace his crushed taint which has fused with his elbow.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

cr0y posted:

Does Biden have anything setup for the Superbowl? The chud meltdown would be very fun to watch

He;s going to activate Taylor Swift's inhibitor chip and she'll finally take over America and reign for a 1,000 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Coolguye posted:

the good thing about trumps insane bullshit is he can't argue in a half mesure, its full mesure or nothing. trumps too dumb/hosed up to realize that some pain now is better then way way worse later. trump pleading to lesser chargers or etc, or trump never doing all this poo poo in the first place. SCOTUS would be happy to side with him if he gave some vague argument that gave him a slap on the wrist but argued some vague poo poo. the issue is trump must always be in the right constantly so you get them doing insane scotus case poo poo that only alito or thomas will sign off on.