Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Somewhat amusing the normal complaint about big company and investor thinking is that it is always only focused on quarter to quarter or year to year profitability. Uber is an example of five years to a decade or so of investment without expectation of instant profit and this is seen as a big failing for its own sake.

I dunno if Uber will be around in 10 years (Grab taxi and other companies are able to cut Uber's grass pretty well, not sure what's stopping that?) but in the meantime, the app based rideshare / driver review / feedback system has made a huuugge difference to taking a taxi around the world. Anyone that is all down in the mouth about Uber owns a set of now worthless taxi plates or has never travelled much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Uber’s share price is doing super well and they’re wiping the floor with Lyft in the rideshare business. And they’re profitable. They really turned that ship around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turns out the secret to being profitable is crimes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Always has been

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Somewhat amusing the normal complaint about big company and investor thinking is that it is always only focused on quarter to quarter or year to year profitability. Uber is an example of five years to a decade or so of investment without expectation of instant profit and this is seen as a big failing for its own sake.

I dunno if Uber will be around in 10 years (Grab taxi and other companies are able to cut Uber's grass pretty well, not sure what's stopping that?) but in the meantime, the app based rideshare / driver review / feedback system has made a huuugge difference to taking a taxi around the world. Anyone that is all down in the mouth about Uber owns a set of now worthless taxi plates or has never travelled much.

The usual complaint is about companies seeking maximum profit, selling off or breaking down the foundations of their own long-term profitability for the sake of maximizing short-term metrics. It's when companies could have a stable and consistent profitability over the long-term, but choose instead to pursue maximum short-term profit even when it means throwing away their sustainability and sacrificing the things that stable income is built on.

Running at a loss for a decade and a half isn't really sustainable either. It's a luxury most companies don't have, after all. And that's exactly why it's so effective - simply undercut your opponents, who can't afford to simply lose money for a decade. It's not a sustainable business practice, it's a desperate mad dash to choke your rivals out of existence with the expectation that you'll be able to figure out a sustainable business model at your leisure once you've brute-forced all the competitors out of business and established an effective monopoly over the industry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vegetable posted:

Uber’s share price is doing super well and they’re wiping the floor with Lyft in the rideshare business.

That's a shame, Lyft's app has a way, way better UI.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

The usual complaint is about companies seeking maximum profit, selling off or breaking down the foundations of their own long-term profitability for the sake of maximizing short-term metrics. It's when companies could have a stable and consistent profitability over the long-term, but choose instead to pursue maximum short-term profit even when it means throwing away their sustainability and sacrificing the things that stable income is built on.

Running at a loss for a decade and a half isn't really sustainable either. It's a luxury most companies don't have, after all. And that's exactly why it's so effective - simply undercut your opponents, who can't afford to simply lose money for a decade. It's not a sustainable business practice, it's a desperate mad dash to choke your rivals out of existence with the expectation that you'll be able to figure out a sustainable business model at your leisure once you've brute-forced all the competitors out of business and established an effective monopoly over the industry.

Also helps if you can classify all your employees as contractors so you don't need to treat them like people.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

The complaint is generally never so subtle as to be about unrecoverable structural damage to a long term profitable business through short term decisions. It is mostly about cost cutting, head count reduction, price increase or any range of things that were good for the person complaining (whether they be an employee, customer, other stakeholder, etc) without any consideration of what it means for the company, good move or bad.

Losing money for a decade is routine for a lot businesses (as long as you ignore cross subsidizing (eg an infrastructure company will tip money into a new bridge for five years of approvals, three years of construction and a decade or more of payback even as the rest of their portfolio chips in the difference). Medium sized mines are five to 10 years before they are profitable (from decision to move ahead, again approvals and studies absorb money for years before any ground gets broken) and large one a decade or more is not unusual (BHP is tipping billions into a phosphate mine in Canada that is half a decade or more of just digging the access hole). Chip fab companies, any company that decides to get into that business is probably making an investment with multiple decades in their spreadsheet.

And on uber, the sekret sauce is breaking down monopolies and taking a cut of the difference between what the prices were (inclusive of all profit resulting from scams and predatory driver behavior (no meter, drive around town, no change available,, strongman pricing, etc). To do this is taking three things, legal investment to take on legislation designed to protect the monopolies (often set up with the best of intentions but very much taken advantage of in a lot of cases) and cheap enough in the first instance that first adopters is not only rich people (like Apple products) to normalise catching an Uber versus risk adverse people sticking to taxies. Last is the app to make it all happen but I don't think the software is that expensive to develop or maintain? Not billions a year at least.

Maybe some of the billions is competing with fellow ap based programs (Lyft, Grab, etc) but the complaints about Uber are that rideshare/app based taxi is a waste of time and money and it should be left to the various taxi mafias or those that bought a taxi plate in QLD for 500k, a year before uber came out.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Over 2% of US power generation is now going to Bitcoin:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/over-2-percent-of-the-uss-electricity-generation-now-goes-to-bitcoin/

quote:

While there is some small-scale mining that goes on with personal computers and small rigs, most cryptocurrency mining has moved to large collections of specialized hardware. While this hardware can be pricy compared to personal computers, the main cost for these operations is electricity use, so the miners will tend to move to places with low electricity rates. The EIA report notes that, in the wake of a crackdown on cryptocurrency in China, a lot of that movement has involved relocation to the US, where keeping electricity prices low has generally been a policy priority.

One independent estimate made by the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance had the US as the home of just over 3 percent of the global bitcoin mining at the start of 2020. By the start of 2022, that figure was nearly 38 percent.
We need that energy for our LLMs!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mllaneza posted:

That's a shame, Lyft's app has a way, way better UI.

Doesn't Lyft also pay their contractors better too?

I understand where the initial drive for Uber came from, if you didn't live in New York or LA, finding and getting traditional taxis was kind of a huge inconsistent pain in the rear end, doubly so if you weren't local. Having an app that standardized the process of getting a ride was a huge boon and the part that was an uncritical success. The part where they lost me was where they basically bought out the market share with VC money and leveraged their position to cut the labor costs to the bone because in a lot of markets they are a functional monopoly and get to dictate their terms of not only the riders, but the drivers as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The complaint is generally never so subtle as to be about unrecoverable structural damage to a long term profitable business through short term decisions. It is mostly about cost cutting, head count reduction, price increase or any range of things that were good for the person complaining (whether they be an employee, customer, other stakeholder, etc) without any consideration of what it means for the company, good move or bad.

Losing money for a decade is routine for a lot businesses (as long as you ignore cross subsidizing (eg an infrastructure company will tip money into a new bridge for five years of approvals, three years of construction and a decade or more of payback even as the rest of their portfolio chips in the difference). Medium sized mines are five to 10 years before they are profitable (from decision to move ahead, again approvals and studies absorb money for years before any ground gets broken) and large one a decade or more is not unusual (BHP is tipping billions into a phosphate mine in Canada that is half a decade or more of just digging the access hole). Chip fab companies, any company that decides to get into that business is probably making an investment with multiple decades in their spreadsheet.

And on uber, the sekret sauce is breaking down monopolies and taking a cut of the difference between what the prices were (inclusive of all profit resulting from scams and predatory driver behavior (no meter, drive around town, no change available,, strongman pricing, etc). To do this is taking three things, legal investment to take on legislation designed to protect the monopolies (often set up with the best of intentions but very much taken advantage of in a lot of cases) and cheap enough in the first instance that first adopters is not only rich people (like Apple products) to normalise catching an Uber versus risk adverse people sticking to taxies. Last is the app to make it all happen but I don't think the software is that expensive to develop or maintain? Not billions a year at least.

Maybe some of the billions is competing with fellow ap based programs (Lyft, Grab, etc) but the complaints about Uber are that rideshare/app based taxi is a waste of time and money and it should be left to the various taxi mafias or those that bought a taxi plate in QLD for 500k, a year before uber came out.

In my experience, it's usually about structural damage (not necessarily unrecoverable, but even potentially-recoverable damage is a problem) to a long-term profitable business through short-term decisions. Cost-cutting, headcount reduction, and price increases can all be examples of this sort of structural damage, depending on the company's exact business model. For example, a company that relies on regularly releasing new physical products of great technical and engineering complexity can indeed suffer significant long-term damage by making cuts to R&D or product development. Another example is content-based businesses squeezing content creators with revenue cuts that will boost profits for a quarter or two but will drive away those content creators the business relies on. In the business literature on short-termism, there's many examples of companies making financial maneuvers which boost short-term profits while exposing themselves to significant long-term risk, culminating in stuff like the Great Recession.

Losing money upfront while building a factory or mine is completely different from what Uber was doing. Nobody is complaining about tech companies running at a loss while they're initially building their product; the issue is when they launch the product and just keep running at a loss indefinitely because they have no reason not to. When you're building a mine, your path to profitability is fairly clear from the beginning: you know how you're going to make money by taking metal out of the ground and selling it at a profit, you just need to dig the hole. And in the meantime, you're keeping expenses limited: you don't hire all the mineworkers until you actually have the mine approved and are actually building it. A better comparison would be if you dug the hole, built the mine, and then started selling the metal at under cost, continuing to bleed money during normal day-to-day mine operations with the expectation that doing so will build up market power that can be used to figure out a path to profitability later.

On Uber, the secret sauce was simply undercutting their competition, charging less than competitors while paying drivers more than the competition. And while they were able to cut costs via things like defying labor laws, the ultimate key to this strategy was relying on the endless spigot of investor money to run at a massive loss. They could charge less and pay more than the competitors simply because they could afford to lose several billion dollars every quarter, subsidizing the losses with investor cash. Once they'd crushed all competitors in an area and established near-total market dominance there, they could then crank up prices and make substantial cuts to driver payouts. At the same time, they could simply defy local laws and regulations that all their competitors had to follow, relying on a three-pronged strategy of simply eating the fines, issuing legal challenges, and heavily funding lobbying to get the laws changed.

There's plenty of reason to complain about Uber, such as their blatant abuses of labor law, their general neglect of passenger safety, and various blatantly unethical practices. But for the purposes of this conversation, I'm using them as an example of how "X, but with an app" companies can substantially outperform the other companies that do X just by relying on the massive industry-warping amounts of investment that the "with an app" part attracts, as well as how that causes a number of negative impacts on industries and on society as a whole.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Doesn't Lyft also pay their contractors better too?

I understand where the initial drive for Uber came from, if you didn't live in New York or LA, finding and getting traditional taxis was kind of a huge inconsistent pain in the rear end, doubly so if you weren't local.

Also paying. Taxi driver's would do everything they could to squeeze money out of you and before Uber about 80% of the taxis you went into had a credit card machine that was 'broken'.

I can't count the times I had a taxi driver broker a cost with me and not use his meter, then try to charge me more when we got there while only accepting cash.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
80%? That's crazy! Where did you live? That seems almost like a made up statistic

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Perhaps there were only 5 taxi drivers around?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Uber is scummy for about 100 different reasons, but there's nothing necessarily wrong about them identifying a market with so many fundamental flaws perceived or otherwise (nationwide access, trust issues as mentioned above, etc).

I don't want to sound all libertarian/ MBA, but taxi companies were very comfortable with just refusing to address these concerns, and only barely responded more quickly than Blockbuster did to Netflix. Which may be just enough to save them in the long run!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jesus III posted:

80%? That's crazy! Where did you live? That seems almost like a made up statistic

Taxis loving sucked, just completely awful and the only time I had a decent experience with them was fixed price airport runs, which were insanely expensive anyway.

It is wild to me that Uber was allowed to just break the law and operate unlicensed taxis, but the Taxi industry themselves in the US had grown incredibly corrupt and lovely.

Edit: I don't even know how to make a comparison to what Uber was allowed to do. Taxi medallions cost a million dollars, but Uber was allowed to just operate illegally. It's like if a developer started building 5-over-1 apartment buildings on lots zoned for low density single family homes and then made a huge killing and said "clearly, it's what the market wanted".

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 5, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are markets around the world where taxi companies are responding robustly to the local equivalents of Uber. They create their own apps, they partner with smaller tech companies and they may even throw in some customer acquisition vouchers. It’s good for customers!

It’s a testament to how god awful US taxi companies were that they have been completely obliterated by ride hailing apps.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Where I live taxis were very bad, tradicionally. They were few and very expensive

It required a license that was given in very limited quantities, so the license itself was very valuable. If you wanted to work as a taxi driver, you need to either buy of of those licenses from someone for lots of money, or rent it from the license owner (many license owners lived from that). It was a very expensive service mostly for the rich that normal people could only afford once in a while, often used in emergencies. It was a bad system all around

Than uber came and it was so much cheaper and also so available. And for the drivers, it was also good cause they needed no taxi license, they just needed a car and could start working and the pay wanst so bad. It was hard to be against it

Cut to a decade later and now drivers are working 16h to pay the bills and very often refusing rides cause many dont pay enough to be wroth it, so now it got kinda bad for everyone

Taxis were bad, but uber soon become bad too. Still a bit better for the users, but now terrible for the workers

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Twerk from Home posted:

Taxis loving sucked, just completely awful and the only time I had a decent experience with them was fixed price airport runs, which were insanely expensive anyway.

It is wild to me that Uber was allowed to just break the law and operate unlicensed taxis, but the Taxi industry themselves in the US had grown incredibly corrupt and lovely.

I think people would of come down way harder on the unlicensed taxi angle had the state of traditional taxis not been so hosed. It was a bed that the corrupt taxi institution made, and now we have a newer, arguably more corrupt "taxi" overlord that has a national reach and enough of a brain share that the brand name has become the generic name people use for "purchasing a ride somewhere".

Edit: let's also not forget that loving over their employees is explicitly a goal of Uber. Seeing as how their ultimate explicitly stated end goal for years was to fully replace their drivers with Autopilot vehicles.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 5, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The last time I took a taxi the guy was drunk and stopped in the middle of the highway, but the last time I took an uber the guy was drunk and jumped an island, so who can say if it's good or bad

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

RBA Starblade posted:

The last time I took a taxi the guy was drunk and stopped in the middle of the highway, but the last time I took an uber the guy was drunk and jumped an island, so who can say if it's good or bad

In summation, getting into random stranger's vehicles is a land of contrasts.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cat botherer posted:

Over 2% of US power generation is now going to Bitcoin:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/over-2-percent-of-the-uss-electricity-generation-now-goes-to-bitcoin/

We need that energy for our LLMs!

oh hey, renewable energy will love this! Bitcoin miners are probably the one really easy to dispatch users of electricity. People talk about moving power use to suit electricity generation as if it is as simple as just turning on your multi-hundred million dollar facility when the power is plentiful / off when it is not with no regard to how these factories work and how dominant the capital cost of these facilities are in the overall cost profile. My understanding is that the chips in use are essentially a consumable (as in they are clocked to burn out after so many hours of use anyway) and the capital cost is a relative small portion of the overall cost relative to electricity.

The could just over-capitalize their facility (for eg twice as much computer as what their opex/market can handle) and run just when the power is cheap. They might even make money from consuming negatively priced power!

Jesus III posted:

If it is only 80% for visitors to Africa, SE Asia, the Balkans etc to get scammed in one way or another in the before (Uber) times, I would be surprised!

I get there is very legitimate criticism and have experienced long term damage for short term gains as well which is frustrating. My point is that a lot of the yelling and shouting is from people that have had their own personal interests being harmed brings out the declaration of a move being said short term gain for long term damage. If a company or dept does not have work to keep someone busy, it is important to find new work for them if possible and to let them go sooner rather than later otherwise. This applies whether it's steam locomotive factory workers in the USSR in the 70's or the hundreds of extra recruitment specialists at Google when they are in the process of laying off thousands of workers. Sure it sucks to look for a new job but I have seen a number of small businesses/farms hold onto staff way too long (eg paying veggie pickers more per kg to pick than the market price is) and sink their entire business. Then they are out of work anyway. And in the case of Google, what is hundreds of recruits going to do for the next few years/decade when its likely they are never going to hire at the rates they did post pandemic?

I don't read Ubers billions being spent in the early ears as undercutting opposition (just getting access to the market to implement app based taxi hailing/payment (which was illegal more often than not) is undercutting enough) but maybe in more recent years they are spending billions trying to stave of competition from lyft/grab et al? Certainly, Grab seems to be the dominant provider in the markets I visit. The US market is maybe different, but Uber/Grab prices aren't much different to what traditional taxi drivers offered locals in the past, just that you don't get white skin/foreigner tax, know that you are not going to be driven miles out of the way, no change in prices at the destination, no demand for tip, no lack of change, no stopping for fuel and request to pay for it, no paying for tolls, not being asked to take a different taxi the rest of the way, no being pressured to use their "recommended hotel" etc.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

RBA Starblade posted:

It must be difficult being a Crazy Taxi NPC

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus III posted:

This is Philadelphia. I was being conservative with 80% but back in the early 2000s the "credit card is broken" gripe was something everyone in my friends circle and people online would gripe about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jesus III posted:

It's 100% for my experience using Taxis in Italy. :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The magic incantation for fixing a taxis credit card machine is "ok well thanks for the free ride then".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Microsoft is investing in AI-generated news. Surely nothing bad will come of this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

feedmyleg posted:

Cool. Microsoft is investing in AI-generated news. Surely nothing bad will come of this.

It's not AI-written and seems like it will just be actual journalists getting huge collection of news stories pulled from other websites via AI that they have to summarize manually. Seems pretty boring and mostly just a way to pump out original content without having journalists do much original investigative reporting.

It's basically using AI to create a Model T assembly line for blogging.

quote:

Signals will offer a feed of breaking news and analysis on big stories, with about a dozen posts a day. The goal is to offer different points of view from across the globe—a key focus for Semafor since its launch in 2022.

Semafor co-founder Ben Smith emphasized that Signals will be written entirely by journalists, with artificial intelligence providing a research tool to inform posts.

Microsoft on Monday was also set to announce collaborations with journalist organizations including the Craig Newmark School of Journalism, the Online News Association, and the GroundTruth Project.

quote:

For a breaking news event, Semafor journalists will use AI tools to quickly search for reporting and commentary from other news sources across the globe in multiple languages. A Signals post might include perspectives from Chinese, Indian, or Russian media, for example, with Semafor’s reporters summarizing and contextualizing the different points of view, while citing its sources.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I've been in a couple hundred taxis in the last two decades, all over the US and never been scammed. Maybe you all just look like rubes? Maybe dress less touristy in your daily lives or don't make up shot for internet points.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
When I fly to new places, I go to buy a used car, place a taxi sign on roof and take passengers so I don't ever have to pay for transit and never get cheated.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Jesus III posted:

I've been in a couple hundred taxis in the last two decades, all over the US and never been scammed. Maybe you all just look like rubes? Maybe dress less touristy in your daily lives or don't make up shot for internet points.

I definitely got scammed going from the Tampa airport. 60% over the website estimate, no itemized receipt, cash only. The Lyft ride back to the airport when COVID ate my job was under the minimum fair for the taxis, was a nice older lady instead of some dead silence taxi man who couldn't and would explain the final cost, and almost got plasterd by someone running a residential red light at about 90

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I get there is very legitimate criticism and have experienced long term damage for short term gains as well which is frustrating. My point is that a lot of the yelling and shouting is from people that have had their own personal interests being harmed brings out the declaration of a move being said short term gain for long term damage. If a company or dept does not have work to keep someone busy, it is important to find new work for them if possible and to let them go sooner rather than later otherwise. This applies whether it's steam locomotive factory workers in the USSR in the 70's or the hundreds of extra recruitment specialists at Google when they are in the process of laying off thousands of workers. Sure it sucks to look for a new job but I have seen a number of small businesses/farms hold onto staff way too long (eg paying veggie pickers more per kg to pick than the market price is) and sink their entire business. Then they are out of work anyway. And in the case of Google, what is hundreds of recruits going to do for the next few years/decade when its likely they are never going to hire at the rates they did post pandemic?

I don't read Ubers billions being spent in the early ears as undercutting opposition (just getting access to the market to implement app based taxi hailing/payment (which was illegal more often than not) is undercutting enough) but maybe in more recent years they are spending billions trying to stave of competition from lyft/grab et al? Certainly, Grab seems to be the dominant provider in the markets I visit. The US market is maybe different, but Uber/Grab prices aren't much different to what traditional taxi drivers offered locals in the past, just that you don't get white skin/foreigner tax, know that you are not going to be driven miles out of the way, no change in prices at the destination, no demand for tip, no lack of change, no stopping for fuel and request to pay for it, no paying for tolls, not being asked to take a different taxi the rest of the way, no being pressured to use their "recommended hotel" etc.

I think you're vastly overestimating how much of the complaining about bad business strategies is from people who directly benefit from those bad business strategies. If you're getting mad at something you saw somewhere on the internet, can you please point us to it or something? Because I have no idea what you're talking about here, but companies over-focusing on the short-term to the detriment of long-term prospects is a well-known and heavily-studied phenomenon. It's not just something made up by people mad that they got fired.

And honestly, that's the opposite of what I'm trying to talk about here. What I brought up here was when businesses are seeking neither short-term profit nor long-term profit: instead, they're seeking to generate short-term metrics and stories capable of keeping investors happy, with no real strategy toward making a profit at all beyond "once we're more established in the market and all our competitors have run out of investor money, we can probably lock everyone in and abuse our monopoly to crank up prices". And more generally, I'm trying to have a discussion about the harmful effects of massive amounts of irresponsible investment pouring into the SF tech startup sector with zero due diligence, and you're bringing up "steam locomotive factory workers in the USSR in the 70's" as if it has any relevance at all to anything we're talking about here.

Uber's billions being spent in the early years was undercutting opposition, at least in the US (which is, of course, where they first started). Building the app and infrastructure takes money, of course, but they had to have that working before they could even offer services at all, and once they had that done it didn't really add any extra work to expand around the world. One of the key factors in Uber's early rise was that they charged customers less and paid drivers more, while also doing tons of discount promotions and free ride offers...at least until they had overwhelmingly dominant marketshare in a region, at which point local prices would rise, driver pay would decline rather sharply, and the marketing department would lose interest in offering all those cheap promotions. The driver pay side of things was especially important, since building a large pool of drivers despite offering them few protections or benefits is the essential core of Uber's business. Here's a good NYT article that kind of recaps the importance of both the customer pricing and driver pricing sides of things, as well as how they've trended:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/12/nyregion/cab-uber-lyft-drivers.html

quote:

Uber Drivers Say They Are Struggling: ‘This Is Not Sustainable’
Drivers’ hourly earnings have increased since 2018, but the company sued to block their raise last year and inflation has taken a toll.

When Lamin Jatta began driving a yellow cab in 2012, competition was stiff to procure a taxi for his shifts from a busy garage in Queens. Along with other drivers, he would have to slip up to $25 to a dispatcher to make sure he got a car.

This cost, though unofficial, was on top of his daily taxi lease, $120 for a 12-hour shift, which took a big chunk out of his earnings. And if he got stuck in traffic returning to the garage, he would get hit with a $25 late fee.

So Mr. Jatta eventually traded in yellow cabs for Uber and Lyft, lured by the promise of more money and working on his own terms.

But now, Mr. Jatta, an immigrant from Gambia, cannot earn enough to support himself and his family. He and other ride-hail app drivers say they struggle to pay their rent and other bills, have maxed out their credit cards, and are stuck making payments on cars they no longer want.

“You work and you make no money,” said Mr. Jatta, now 43, who is quitting Uber to become a truck driver. “This is not sustainable.”

Uber and Lyft drivers now earn less in fares and tips than taxi drivers, according to new data from the Taxi and Limousine Commission, which regulates both groups. During the month of September, Uber and Lyft drivers earned an average total of $5,046, including $277 in tips, while those in taxis earned $5,844, including $865 in tips.

Drivers have increasingly battled with Uber, which sued the taxi commission to block a raise for Uber and Lyft drivers in December. Uber argued the raise could cost the company an additional $21 million to $23 million per month, and that it could force it to raise passenger fares by 10 percent.

In response, drivers organized two strikes and urged customers to boycott the Uber app. Last week, Mr. Jatta and dozens of drivers gathered outside Uber’s office in Lower Manhattan, shouting “Shame on Uber.”

Still, Uber prevailed in its lawsuit after a state court judge said the city had failed to sufficiently justify the increase. The ruling will also apply to drivers for Lyft, which was not part of the lawsuit.

Josh Gold, a spokesman for Uber, said that its drivers “remain busy by any metric,” and that their earnings have increased significantly in recent years. Uber drivers now earn an average of $33.30 per hour before tips, up from $23.50 per hour in 2018, according to Uber data.

But the inflation rate — as of last fall, triple what it was four years ago — has possibly canceled out some of those wage increases. Last summer, the cost of food in the city was up by nine percent over the previous year. And drivers and passengers are both dealing with more expensive Uber rides. As of September, prices had risen 37 percent over the last three years, according to the data analytics company YipitData.

Many drivers said the higher fares had benefited Uber more than them. “Don’t think what they charge you is what goes to the driver’s pocket,” said Ibrahima Gory, 56, who began driving for Uber in 2014.

Bruce Schaller, a transportation consultant, said the app services make money by charging passengers as much as they can — and paying drivers as little as possible. “The point of the business is to squeeze both the driver and passenger as much as possible because the companies make more money,” he said.

Uber, which arrived in New York in 2011, was once seen by many drivers as a better alternative to the yellow cabs that long ruled city streets. App services like Uber and Lyft offered bonuses and incentives to drivers to switch, and they allowed those who could not afford a taxi medallion — city-issued permits that peaked at more than $1 million in 2013 — to drive their own cars.

As riders and drivers embraced the apps, the taxi industry plummeted. Taxi owners, many of whom had borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy medallions at an inflated price, were drowning in debt. In desperation, some were pushed to suicide. Then, the pandemic decimated their business.

Nino Hervias was a taxi driver for 38 years before he lost his medallion in September 2021 because he was unable to keep up with the payments. Though he is considering reacquiring his medallion through a relief program the city created last year, he is not sure whether he will earn enough as a cabby to cover the cost.

In the meantime, Mr. Hervias, 63, is driving for Uber. He earned about $1,200 per week last year, but that dipped below $1,000 in December — or less than one-third of the $3,000 a week that he could earn driving a cab before 2015.

Currently, there are about 173,000 licensed for-hire drivers in the city, down from 204,000 in early 2020 before the pandemic, according to the taxi commission. The total number of for-hire vehicles, most of which are affiliated with Uber and Lyft, also shrank from 125,000 to about 100,000 during the same period.

“There weren’t enough trips for everyone at the height of the pandemic, so drivers had to switch to other industries to make a living,” explained David Do, the taxi commissioner. This resulted, he said, in “a major reduction and attrition in the numbers of drivers and vehicles.”

But some critics said the number of for-hire drivers was still too high, making it difficult for anyone to make a decent living. “Too many cars on the street is like too many cooks in the kitchen,” said Samuel I. Schwartz, a transportation consultant who drove a taxi in the early 1970s. “Everybody bumps into each other.”

In 2018, the City Council passed a bill to to establish a minimum pay standard for app service drivers. Since then, the taxi commission has significantly raised wages for Uber and Lyft drivers, who are also scheduled to receive an increase in March that will be the third since 2020 to help offset rising expenses and costs from inflation. Last month, metered taxi fares increased for the first time in a decade.

“The minimum pay standard has really changed the industry,” Mr. Do said. “Drivers are making more across the board.”

But it has not been enough for Ishtiaq Ahmed, 42, who works for Uber and Lyft and lives with his wife and four children in Brooklyn. Mr. Ahmed said that, more than a decade ago, he used to earn $700 to $800 a day with the app services. Now, he is lucky to make $140. He has $30,000 of credit card debt, he said, and he owes thousands more to family and friends who helped him buy an S.U.V. for the job.

Mr. Ahmed and other drivers have criticized the service fees charged by Uber and Lyft, along with government-imposed taxes and surcharges, for cutting into their earnings.

For an Uber trip from Manhattan to Kennedy International Airport in November, Mr. Ahmed earned $59.29, or just 65 percent of the $91.71 fare, while Uber’s service fee was $17.72, or 19 percent. Another $14.70, or 16 percent of the fare, went to government taxes and fees, including a $2.75 congestion fee in Manhattan.

Mr. Gold said that Uber and Lyft drivers have earned less than taxi drivers because they work significantly fewer hours each month, and if calculating by hour, they make slightly more, according to city data. In September, taxi drivers worked an average of 7.6 hours per day compared with 6.5 hours per day for Uber and Lyft drivers.

He added that, last year, Uber reduced its average service fee to 16 percent of the total passenger fare for every trip that started in New York City, compared with generally between 20 and 28 percent before 2015. But government-imposed fees and charges have increased since 2018.

Bhairavi Desai, the executive director of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, which represents for-hire drivers in the city, disputed Uber’s statistics, noting that the company generally keeps data on driver pay secret and only publicizes flattering numbers. “When convenient, Uber hides behind the corporate veil,” Ms. Desai said.

Mr. Gold responded that Uber reports detailed data on driver pay, passenger fares and trips to the taxi commission, as is required by city law.

Some drivers said they felt trapped because they had invested heavily in Uber and Lyft when they thought driving for a ride-hailing service would be a lucrative career.

Alpha Barry, 50, who was a yellow cabdriver for about 15 years before switching to ride-hailing apps six years ago, bought a 2017 Lexus for about $42,000 when he decided to work for Lyft.

Because of that investment, Mr. Barry said, he cannot return to the taxi industry, even if working conditions might have improved since he left.

“I already put myself in this car, you know, spent all this money on this car,” Mr. Barry said.

Mr. Gory, the Uber driver who was a cabby for 20 years, makes about $800 a week with the app service and still owes about $51,000 on his 2022 Toyota Highlander. He recalled that he was drawn by Uber’s ads and sign-up bonuses and incentives. “They were so slick,” he said.

By the time he found out that he could not make a living with Uber, it was too late. He was stuck.

“I pay my insurance, I pay costs of repairs, oil change, brakes, carwash — it’s too much,” he said. “Way, way too much.”

While (as the article points out) the taxi companies are hardly free of problems, notice a recurring theme in that article: cab drivers were lured to Uber by the promise of making more money and dealing with less bullshit, and now that the taxi industry has been devastated, suddenly Uber drivers are making less money than they did driving taxis and are dealing with just as much bullshit. It's a classic trick.

This kind of thing has been a longstanding problem in tech spaces. The big megacorp with a bazillion products and services, using their banked cash and their profitable services to subsidize one particular product and service so they can run it at a loss and undercut competitors, is a decades-old story. But as the dynamics of the tech industry have become more obsessed with startups, that's given way to new dynamics where companies without any successful profitable services can undercut competitors simply by attracting more investor money. Which in turn leads to dynamics where actual users and customers become less important, and companies increasingly focus on competing for investor dollars.

RussianRoulette
Jul 27, 2003
Neuroscience is the religion of the 21st century

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: I don't even know how to make a comparison to what Uber was allowed to do. Taxi medallions cost a million dollars, but Uber was allowed to just operate illegally. It's like if a developer started building 5-over-1 apartment buildings on lots zoned for low density single family homes and then made a huge killing and said "clearly, it's what the market wanted".

The gig economy is accomplishing the same for labor. The one weird trick for shifting costs onto your employees while dodging taxes and regulations. It's a real money-making idea. It's fine cause, like - those are jobs for teenagers, right?

Everyone also seems to forget that when Uber was new it hopped on the autonomous driving bandwagon. All the labor costs were going to disappear in just a few years, so it made sense to grow the brand in the meantime. Then their self driving division folded in 2020. I don't know what they did to reassure investors since obviously the company seems fine now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I generally avoid taxis so I don't get scammed. If you have to, generally it helps to ask and agree on a price beforehand. Ideally by calling their number and getting a quote, as the drives will tend to say it's just whatever the meter says. gently caress that. Last time I called one in Venice to get a ride to the airport and they were able to give me a good fixed price based on my hotel's location. When I did get a taxi from the airport in Paris, it cost like 120EUR to get downtown and I've no idea if it was a normal taxi, some kind of "premium" service I got lured into, or a fake taxi altogether. At least the company was paying.

From the user's point of view the Uber/Lyft experience is miles better, other than the sometimes random surge pricing that can make it unpredictably expensive sometimes. But at least you see it before agreeing to anything. From labor/ethics point of view that's enother matter of course :shrug:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

You are literally defending taxi cartels as not entirely good and digging up some anecdote from some ex-taxi cartel operator to prove how much better it was before uber showed up with its service that told you where you were getting picked up and by whom (with previous rider reviews), where you were going and by which route and already squared away payment before you got in the cab without getting your arm twisted getting into or out of the cab. (Hint, tips are not entirely voluntary, sometimes they take, uh, encouragement, (read, obnoxious arm bending/standover tactics. Also ~14% of the earnings of yellow cab according to that article)

Amusingly, the article's big complaint seems to be that the drivers can't pay off their million dollar cartel medallion on Uber fares when Uber doesn't require the medallion. They literally got their situation made worse by changing business circumstances and are complaining about it as if the whole world is worse off not to have cartel run mafia taxi. A good example of what I was saying about how people measure organizational decisions in terms of how it effects them personally (and that you are vehement about never happens).

Ubers costs and verbalized opposition in the early years was not about "undercutting opposition", it was about "taking on legislated/mafia monopolies (illegally or not)". And sure, the illegal aspect is amazing they have done as well as they did as that is normally business suicide- oh wait, they were doing the equivalent of kicking the mafia out of Cuba via revolution so Uber gets a free ride for 10 years or more before it will start to feel sour in general (although in reality, Uber will go the way of the dodo and Lyft/Grab/other will be the long term app taxi company).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

You are literally defending taxi cartels as not entirely good and digging up some anecdote from some ex-taxi cartel operator to prove how much better it was before uber showed up with its service that told you where you were getting picked up and by whom (with previous rider reviews), where you were going and by which route and already squared away payment before you got in the cab without getting your arm twisted getting into or out of the cab. (Hint, tips are not entirely voluntary, sometimes they take, uh, encouragement, (read, obnoxious arm bending/standover tactics. Also ~14% of the earnings of yellow cab according to that article)

Amusingly, the article's big complaint seems to be that the drivers can't pay off their million dollar cartel medallion on Uber fares when Uber doesn't require the medallion. They literally got their situation made worse by changing business circumstances and are complaining about it as if the whole world is worse off not to have cartel run mafia taxi. A good example of what I was saying about how people measure organizational decisions in terms of how it effects them personally (and that you are vehement about never happens).

Ubers costs and verbalized opposition in the early years was not about "undercutting opposition", it was about "taking on legislated/mafia monopolies (illegally or not)". And sure, the illegal aspect is amazing they have done as well as they did as that is normally business suicide- oh wait, they were doing the equivalent of kicking the mafia out of Cuba via revolution so Uber gets a free ride for 10 years or more before it will start to feel sour in general (although in reality, Uber will go the way of the dodo and Lyft/Grab/other will be the long term app taxi company).

Jokes aside, it seems like you have some really strong opinions about the taxi industry. However, those opinions are absolutely loving irrelevant to my argument that Uber used investor funding to run at a loss to undercut existing companies by offering low prices and high payouts that couldn't be sustained without that subsidy, and then raised prices and cut payouts once they'd completely smothered the competition by simply burying it in money.

Those taxi drivers are not accusing Uber of making incorrect business decisions in the name of prioritizing short-term profit over long-term stability. Nor are they accusing Uber of neglecting profitability entirely. They are accusing Uber of screwing them over, personally. I never claimed that no one has ever resented a business that screwed them over - I just said that banal criticisms of the companies' business strategy were likely not motivated primarily by self-interest. People who've been screwed over by a company usually have no problem saying they've been screwed over; they don't need to cloak it in nonsense about investment tactics or long-term business outlooks.

Whether non-app taxi companies are cartels or mafias, or whether that's extreme hyperbole driven by a deep hatred of taxi companies, doesn't really matter to the discussion here. Comparing Uber's predatory business tactics and open flaunting of labor law to the Cuban Revolution, on the other hand, is absolutely baffling. Who's Batista in this analogy? It seems like you've built a heroic narrative around Uber, in which their accomplishments in destroying the evils of taxi drivers are so outstanding that any sins they might commit should be forgiven in gratitude for their service. I don't know if that's necessarily something that really suits the Tech Nightmares thread, though!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Jokes aside, it seems like you have some really strong opinions about the taxi industry. However, those opinions are absolutely loving irrelevant to my argument that Uber used investor funding to run at a loss to undercut existing companies by offering low prices and high payouts that couldn't be sustained without that subsidy, and then raised prices and cut payouts once they'd completely smothered the competition by simply burying it in money.

Those taxi drivers are not accusing Uber of making incorrect business decisions in the name of prioritizing short-term profit over long-term stability. Nor are they accusing Uber of neglecting profitability entirely. They are accusing Uber of screwing them over, personally. I never claimed that no one has ever resented a business that screwed them over - I just said that banal criticisms of the companies' business strategy were likely not motivated primarily by self-interest. People who've been screwed over by a company usually have no problem saying they've been screwed over; they don't need to cloak it in nonsense about investment tactics or long-term business outlooks.

Whether non-app taxi companies are cartels or mafias, or whether that's extreme hyperbole driven by a deep hatred of taxi companies, doesn't really matter to the discussion here. Comparing Uber's predatory business tactics and open flaunting of labor law to the Cuban Revolution, on the other hand, is absolutely baffling. Who's Batista in this analogy? It seems like you've built a heroic narrative around Uber, in which their accomplishments in destroying the evils of taxi drivers are so outstanding that any sins they might commit should be forgiven in gratitude for their service. I don't know if that's necessarily something that really suits the Tech Nightmares thread, though!

I never refuted your argument that Uber was not undercutting competitors and in fact agreed with you (and declaring they will ultimately be unsuccessful as other companies such as Luft/Grab will win out). I refuted that it was the primary driver of what the angst was about in the early years of uber. No one gives a poo poo about VC money. If it wasn't Uber it would have been Google Glass or another (ten)thousand bikes in the Mississippi River. The bit about Uber being illegal is that for the end users, it was essentially punching up. Everyone cheers about French farmers putting poo poo on the Champs-Élysées even if they all agree they wouldn't like it if they done it to their front lawn. And like Uber, no one particularly likes French farmers.

The important point is that Uber may soon be gone and good riddance to it but by golly app based (the tech nightmare, the VC money is irrelevant) taxi service shits all over, every day of the week what existed before in the dozens of countries I visited so yay for tech nightmares!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I spent a month in Istanbul, and there, taxis are Ubers.

When you open Uber you are only forwarding your request to the Taxi service app. I never really got scammed, but if Ubers estimated time of travel was off you would get charged more, but within the metered rates.

While, kinda of scammy, the meter starts when you call Uber. Which makes sense from the drivers perspective, they have to drive to you, then pick your drunk rear end up. Added an extra few Euro, and was the avenue to get scammed, had a couple try to run it up before they got to me and I would tell them to gently caress off.

That's my anecdote. Every country runs it different at this point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If I open the Uber app I have about 3 options and it's gonna be an hour at least
Or I can call one of the many cab companies and have one in 10 minutes.
Since Uber was forced to offer basic worker rights and pay tax proper in the UK it's pricing is no longer that much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mega Comrade posted:

If I open the Uber app I have about 3 options and it's gonna be an hour at least
Or I can call one of the many cab companies and have one in 10 minutes.
Since Uber was forced to offer basic worker rights and pay tax proper in the UK it's pricing is no longer that much cheaper.

Thats a good thing

But I think something like uber would only be objectively good if it was owned by the workers