Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Mods, can we get this for the next few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think there will be a verdict today and that both mom and dad will be found guilty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

care to post the rest of the thread? I don't have a twitter account and nitter is dead.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

They brought a loving gallows and noose, stole government laptops and other property, assaulted and damaged everything they could find, and had people bringing zip ties to (something something) Nancy Pelosi. Who the gently caress wrote you the check lmao

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was at a Taylor Swift concert last night and halfway through she had Trump dragged on stage and thrown into the crowd and refused to resume signing until her fans beat him to death, which they promptly did.

Overall a good show.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Verdict reached

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Attempted murder!? How is that even a crime?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr. Nice! posted:

care to post the rest of the thread? I don't have a twitter account and nitter is dead.

Google
why do I know Jonathan mitchell

All
Images
Videos
News
Shopping
Books
Maps
Perspectives
Flights
Finance
Search tools

Mitchell is credited with devising the novel enforcement mechanism in the Texas Heartbeat Act, also known as Senate Bill 8 (or SB 8), which outlaws abortion after cardiac activity is detected and avoids judicial review by prohibiting government officials from enforcing the statute and empowering private citizens to ...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wow that was fast. she is hosed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ah thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wow that was fast. she is hosed.

Looks like it's just a jury question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQ9f90yvZc

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/live/7eQ9f90yvZc?si=b0v4-c9cukzcMvue

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It's not that simple to say 'Trump must be found guilty of insurrection for the amendment to apply.' Regardless, Trump has not been charged with "Insurrection". He's been charged with a bunch of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding type charges.

So what charges would qualify, who decides that, and how does he have to be found to have committed them? Remember judges often act as finders of fact. So a legal challenge, a judge ruling, and a state supreme court upholding the ruling that a person has committed acts qualifying as 'insurrection' is about what you might expect as a reasonable process.

Take for example other requirements to hold office, like age requirement and citizenship. If someone challenges one of those of a candidate (nobody's ever called into question someone's ability to serve due to citizenship, right?), how would that be sorted? You can't be found 'guilty' of being under 35 years of age, nor being 'guilty' of not being a US citizen at birth. You would expect those to be things determined with a judge as the finder of fact, not a jury. So it's not some automatic 'well of course a jury must find he's committed insurrection.'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Apologies thought verdict was found

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Apologies thought verdict was found

nbd when counsel and such is called back in it either means that or a jury question.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I agree here, which is why I think the ruling is going to be a "here is exactly how to apply section 3 of the 14th amendment" thing and that Trump won't clear that hurdle yet. I also think it's going to be a 9-0, or 8-1 ruling; they're going to want there to be broad consensus for this one rather than give the appearance of playing politics.

I also think this is the likeliest outcome, but I disagree on the consensus. SCOTUS was fine with completely redefining campaign finance on a 5-4 ruling with Citizen United.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

There's only two ways to get a gang tag

1. Get admins to do it (usually met with silence or handwaving) or
2. Buy yourself a new avatar and include that image in it, which will then get it hosted on the forums and then other people can buy their own avatars and include that image url

Lowtax make me an admin plz

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are telling me insurrection bars you from office then you are telling me Captain Jean Luc Picard could not be elected president of the United States of America in the earth government of the federation. And I cannot abide that.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's not that simple to say 'Trump must be found guilty of insurrection for the amendment to apply.' Regardless, Trump has not been charged with "Insurrection". He's been charged with a bunch of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding type charges.

So what charges would qualify, who decides that, and how does he have to be found to have committed them? Remember judges often act as finders of fact. So a legal challenge, a judge ruling, and a state supreme court upholding the ruling that a person has committed acts qualifying as 'insurrection' is about what you might expect as a reasonable process.

Take for example other requirements to hold office, like age requirement and citizenship. If someone challenges one of those of a candidate (nobody's ever called into question someone's ability to serve due to citizenship, right?), how would that be sorted? You can't be found 'guilty' of being under 35 years of age, nor being 'guilty' of not being a US citizen at birth. You would expect those to be things determined with a judge as the finder of fact, not a jury. So it's not some automatic 'well of course a jury must find he's committed insurrection.'

Was it Maine that found him guilty under the 14th? Colorado too I guess?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Vakal posted:

I was at a Taylor Swift concert last night and halfway through she had Trump dragged on stage and thrown into the crowd and refused to resume signing until her fans beat him to death, which they promptly did.

Overall a good show.

They do the same thing at GWAR concerts!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If you are telling me insurrection bars you from office then you are telling me Captain Jean Luc Picard could not be elected president of the United States of America in the earth government of the federation. And I cannot abide that.

Galen is an American patriot! He did nothing wrong! He was simply fooled into working for the mercenary crew.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Rescue Toaster posted:

So what charges would qualify, who decides that, and how does he have to be found to have committed them?

18 USC § 2383. Done and done.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Remember judges often act as finders of fact. So a legal challenge, a judge ruling, and a state supreme court upholding the ruling that a person has committed acts qualifying as 'insurrection' is about what you might expect as a reasonable process.

So what you're saying is that higher courts have never ever decided that a lower court's decision was wrong and/or unconstitutional and/or illegal and then overturned that decision?

Rescue Toaster posted:

You're trying to equate "crimes" to "things that are not crimes." That's not how this works.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is probably the best gangtag ever.

They really think by saying poo poo like this they can change history. Get ready for once election season actually kicks off to see tons of footage of Jan6th in anti-trump ads. Even if you didn't know what exactly they did, its hard to look at that crowd and go "yea they're being peaceful". Also I'm 100% sure some PAC is going to be showing completely unhinged conspiracy theory ads.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Lowtax make me an admin plz

If the coward Lowtax (rest in pisstape) does not have the strength of will required, I'll do my part.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2npCYNnV18

Look how peaceful. It's like a meditation circle in a quiet meadow.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This article helped me understand what could come next if SCOTUS rules against Trump

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/02/05/predicting-the-fallout-if-the-supreme-court-throws-trump-off-the-ballot-00139381

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Oh man, I need this tag.

:mods:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
isnt there a trial trump has to be attending today

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Philthy posted:

isnt there a trial trump has to be attending today

No, unless I missed something, but the Engoron ruling could drop at any moment.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Democracy1stE/status/1754477396366143724?s=20

Pro pro pro click

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm confused by why anyone thinks the Supreme Court cares what other people think of their decisions at this point; precedent? They don't seem to care. PR? Why would they care? Politics?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think there will be a verdict today and that both mom and dad will be found guilty.

Dang, sorry about your parents. Any thoughts on Trump verdicts?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this is what happens when your entire movement are built on moron bigots with main character syndrom

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

You know, I'm starting to think these convoy guys might be total dipshits?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DEEP STATE PLANTS TRYING TO SOW DIVISION

Real take: I laughed. That was great to watch.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kuarduck posted:

Oh man, I need this tag.

:mods:

Easy fix, only costs five bucks

https://store.somethingawful.com/products/titlechange.php

Adbot