Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

someone could argue that the whole fleet is modular and stuff can get plugged in and out of empty space as needed sure but it’s still a little spooky feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I, conversely, for some reason love the idea of whole sections of the Enterprise empty, like an empty office building or lab space, waiting for use.

Wonder if there's like a version of a Federation real estate agent, pitching spots on Deck 32 for your new start up idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's well established that no one keeps track of who exactly is on the ship at any given time. and certainly, security doesn't patrol. so there could be all sorts of stowaways and escaped science experiments living in the forgotten spaces of the ship.

naem
May 29, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Why can’t the entire enterprise be one holodeck with a warp drive on it? Just a single 10x10x10 holodeck would have room for the entire crew, their families, a bunch of Irish and the like, etc

here is a genuine question-

once limitless free energy from fusion exists, and replicators/holodecks exist, why not just set up a self repairing system, burying it under the ocean where no one can find it, crawling in and nailing the door shut?

you could be your own Q of a holo-universe where all the councilors are your girlfriend.

forever

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's well established that no one keeps track of who exactly is on the ship at any given time. and certainly, security doesn't patrol. so there could be all sorts of stowaways and escaped science experiments living in the forgotten spaces of the ship.

Good place for Feral Molly

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

naem posted:

once limitless free energy from fusion exists, and replicators/holodecks exist, why not just set up a self repairing system, burying it under the ocean where no one can find it, crawling in and nailing the door shut?

you could be your own Q of a holo-universe where all the councilors are your girlfriend.

forever

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

naem posted:

forever

Can you wipe your mind before you go in so that you don't know that everything is a simulation?

naem
May 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

Can you wipe your mind before you go in so that you don't know that everything is a simulation?

would it be more fun to know or not know

maybe set it up so at regular intervals you take a break and remember just so you can decide to forget again and jump back in

if you know then you are literally a Q though as far as the holo people are concerned

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Writing the plot of Insurrection, but this time it's the good guys doing it to themselves.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

naem posted:

forever

Well, based on the evidence in all the shows, any self repairing thing either doesn't work, or demands human sacrifice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Babylon 5 had an episode like this. It turned out kind of bad.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Trast posted:

Babylon 5 had an episode like this. It turned out kind of bad.

Multiple episodes, and then half of season 5

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If the Enterprise E is like a mall then the Enterprise D is a strip mall that's just a Food Lion and a check cashing place and a bunch of empty stores that keep going out of business. An entire deck that was one of those video slot dens that closed down because it kept getting robbed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

naem posted:

someone could argue that the whole fleet is modular and stuff can get plugged in and out of empty space as needed sure but it’s still a little spooky feeling

Liminal space, the final frontier.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

redshirt posted:

I, conversely, for some reason love the idea of whole sections of the Enterprise empty, like an empty office building or lab space, waiting for use.

Wonder if there's like a version of a Federation real estate agent, pitching spots on Deck 32 for your new start up idea.

I like the idea of Star Trek liminal spaces. People writing creepypasta about getting lost in the Invincible Class back rooms. Like, imagine you’re a lowly engineer sent up to an empty section of the Enterprise to check on some unusual readings and you run into Data, standing in the middle of a large, empty, diffusely lit room, playing strange clusters of notes with no apparent rhythm on a saxophone. He greets you and explains that Riker was explaining the concept of jazz to him, that it’s about the notes you don’t play and the space between the notes, and so he is attempting to explore this concept away from the rest of the crew in a space with good acoustics. You don’t know him personally- you only know of him- and everything about him in this situation is highly off putting. He allows you to take your leave and after bidding you farewell continues playing the saxophone, alone, nearly motionless, in the soft khaki colored light. You continue down the hallway into the darkness, find the access panel, perform diagnostics and make the needed repairs, then pause a moment, look back the way you came, and call to transporter room with your comm badge.

“Can you, uh, beam me back to engineering?”

“Why? Are you trapped? Are you injured?”

You hear a distant saxophonal BWEEP, followed by a long silence and a cluster of BWOP BWORP BRRRRRRRRs

“The trapped one. I’m trapped.”

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mysterious frankie posted:

I like the idea of Star Trek liminal spaces. People writing creepypasta about getting lost in the Invincible Class back rooms. Like, imagine you’re a lowly engineer sent up to an empty section of the Enterprise to check on some unusual readings and you run into Data, standing in the middle of a large, empty, diffusely lit room, playing strange clusters of notes with no apparent rhythm on a saxophone. He greets you and explains that Riker was explaining the concept of jazz to him, that it’s about the notes you don’t play and the space between the notes, and so he is attempting to explore this concept away from the rest of the crew in a space with good acoustics. You don’t know him personally- you only know of him- and everything about him in this situation is highly off putting. He allows you to take your leave and after bidding you farewell continues playing the saxophone, alone, nearly motionless, in the soft khaki colored light. You continue down the hallway into the darkness, find the access panel, perform diagnostics and make the needed repairs, then pause a moment, look back the way you came, and call to transporter room with your comm badge.

“Can you, uh, beam me back to engineering?”

“Why? Are you trapped? Are you injured?”

You hear a distant saxophonal BWEEP, followed by a long silence and a cluster of BWOP BWORP BRRRRRRRRs

“The trapped one. I’m trapped.”

Ah, finally done with double-shifts in Engineering. Computer says Holodeck 7 is unreserved. Let's pop in there for some me time

*Doors slide open, I walk in, signing off on my last task on my PADD before I look up to see...Commander Riker in his Angel One outfit holding a trombone, about to play*

"Lieutenant, welcome! Do you know how to play low brass? You just seal your lips around the embouchure while sharply moving your hand back and forth. Oh, forgive me, I must have forgotten to lock the door. You're welcome to leave -- if you really want to."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Foster posted:

It never used to be, but then it was in JJTrek, and that carried on to Disco/SNW (it's dumb and I hate it :mad:)

Nemesis did it first.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Does the Enterprise E have cetacean ops, and if so, did they get assimilated in First Contact?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

naem posted:

would it be more fun to know or not know

maybe set it up so at regular intervals you take a break and remember just so you can decide to forget again and jump back in

if you know then you are literally a Q though as far as the holo people are concerned

If you leave it running long enough then one of them will become sentient and then you're up against a Q that doesn't have to give its orders verbally

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

also a giant nerd already did the empty space discussion in this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

StrangersInTheNight posted:

ngl knowing the D is that big and empty is giving me weird heebie-jeebies, like how when you're floating in the middle of the ocean you know it's miles down beneath you, ugh

guess i'm not made for space

Well, I *knew* this was true but I never thought about it and now I'm definitely NEVER getting on a boat on the ocean again

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You know, we're just floating on a tiny little rock hurtling through a gigantic void of space, like all the oceans, times a trillion billion trillion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really earth is a big balloon of lava with a tiny thin crust of frozen lava on the edge where space has chilled it, but that's barely there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I got to mid season 7 of DS9 and was just like "Nah" and went back to rewatching the 1st season LMAO

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 6, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are some outliers, but usually its recommended to stop watching after season 10.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MikeJF posted:

It's a real pity Cushman's stuff was never put into a book. Clickthrough for various qualities

Here's some other random poo poo I picked up around.

I'm quoting this because I wanna find it later so I can make it my background.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hollismason posted:

I got to mid season 17 of DS9 and was just like "Nah" and went back to rewatching the 1st season LMAO

So what happened in seasons 8-16?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

sweet geek swag posted:

So what happened in seasons 8-16?

Lots of stuff but Sisko never came back

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly stock scripts of wildly varying quality. for example, they did naked now twice.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It's a real pity Cushman's stuff was never put into a book. Clickthrough for various qualities

Here's some other random poo poo I picked up around.

I thought I had seen all of these over the years but some of them are new to me, holy poo poo thanks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

mostly stock scripts of wildly varying quality. for example, they did naked now twice.

The second time, it was just a regular episode, but all the actors were naked.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
At some point in DS9, Jake is sent back in time to Earth while wearing a suit and becomes the basis for the Slenderman

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Those cutaways are fantastic, love the DS9 one. But no Excelsior? :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikeJF posted:

Really earth is a big balloon of lava with a tiny thin crust of frozen lava on the edge where space has chilled it, but that's barely there.
excuse me but space cannot chill anything because it has no temperature.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Earth is 15% liquid rock by volume :science:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endless Trash posted:

Multiple episodes, and then half of season 5

Babylon 5's was also more a case of "Oops, Capitalism!", where people come to B5 in search of work, stay til their money runs out, and then they're stuck there with no money for a ticket elsewhere so they just migrate into Grey Sector (The outer layer of B5's O'Neil Cylinder that was intended to be just use for building the place and sealed off once online).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Turned on BBC America for my morning Star Trek fix and it's the "Moriarty has a girlfriend and wants out of the holodeck" episode and lol I always forget that the lady who played the Countess is also the doctor from SeaQuest DSV

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how seaQuest dsv doesn't seem to have a fandom

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have fond memories of its single season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I love how seaQuest dsv doesn't seem to have a fandom

I just remember catching bits of it when I was young and finding it was quite odd but not being able to figure out if was odd in a good or a bad way.