Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bottom Liner posted:

This thread has taught me two rules for life: Do not gently caress around with horses or escalators.
Are there any videos of horses on escalators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Horses in shredders, yes. Do not look for these.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh, and speaking of horses and escalators, also don't look up shredders on youtube

Ok, I won't :tipshat:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm praying it's horses doing elite level skating

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe the tubes have gotten better but that drat autoplay would go horrifying places in a hurry back in the day. I'm no longer using auto fucken anything

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Horses shredding the whole Rust in Peace album hell yeah

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

holtemon posted:

Horses shredding the whole Rust in Peace album hell yeah

I could watch kids getting thrown off horses all day, I don't give a poo poo about your kid.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Hell yea, post kids getting wrecked by animals

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm no longer using auto fucken anything

That's a shame. Auto-loving technology has come a real long way.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

teledildonics

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You should try autoasphyxiation, it can be a life changing experience

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Honestly this thing looks like it was ready to fall over anyway. She did the city a favor

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

szary posted:

Hell yea, post kids getting wrecked by animals

Missed one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJq4jWSQNd8

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Pretty sure different footage came out showing he didn't in fact punch the horse and all charges were dropped.

If this is about the original geordie horse puncher he got sentenced to a year in jail and was immortalised in an oil painting

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Got some schade from SUV drivers soon having to pay triple to park their luxury tractor in Paris. Google stuffed some more SUV ads down my throat while I was reading about it, though.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol good on you, paris.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol good on you, paris.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Shoulda bought a Paris Honda Accord

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

mrfart posted:

Got some schade from SUV drivers soon having to pay triple to park their luxury tractor in Paris. Google stuffed some more SUV ads down my throat while I was reading about it, though.
It's good but am I reading that right, only 5.7% of the population voted? Is that normal for them or is a referendum some sort of unique situation to explain such a low turn out?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Couldn't find parking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My not luxury 2014 Subaru Forester has a smaller footprint/emissions than most cars. It's 2" smaller than a loving Toyota Camry lol.

edit: 2" smaller than a Corolla I meant. It's 9" smaller than a Camry.

Pennywise the Frown has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Feb 6, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My not luxury 2014 Subaru Forester has a smaller footprint/emissions than most cars. It's 2" smaller than a loving Toyota Camry lol.

Your forester would be exempt, since it's based on curb weight. It's just right at the top end but still.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

:vince:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CainFortea posted:

Your forester would be exempt, since it's based on curb weight. It's just right at the top end but still.

Ah ok, so they're focusing on the big poo poo like those old Suburban and Escalade type stuff I guess? Most modern SUVs I see aren't that big.

I don't know how they classify cars in France but mine is classified as an SUV so I assumed that when the article pic said SUVs I assumed all SUVs, which I figure is the natural assumption.

What about trucks? That would have been my #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 target before even looking at anything else. What about super heavy muscle cars? Why just SUVs? I see tons of work SUVs every day.

The NPR program I was very briefly listening to a few days ago had mixed opinions from Parisians.

Seems very stupid and targeted while missing the point completely, but I haven't read anything about it besides that pic so I can only assume I'm missing important details. I'm too lazy to look it up right now. :)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What about trucks? That would have been my #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 target before even looking at anything else. What about super heavy muscle cars? Why just SUVs? I see tons of work SUVs every day.

tradesmen vehicles are also exempt. Basically the bill is apparently written specifically to target non parisians coming into paris in their SUVs just to visit. So taxis, medical personel, workers, and residents are all exempt.

Edit: I assume they see SUVs as a much bigger problem because there's probably not a lot of pickup trucks on the road over there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CainFortea posted:

tradesmen vehicles are also exempt. Basically the bill is apparently written specifically to target non parisians coming into paris in their SUVs just to visit. So taxis, medical personel, workers, and residents are all exempt.

Edit: I assume they see SUVs as a much bigger problem because there's probably not a lot of pickup trucks on the road over there.

Ah ok. Well that part is good I guess.

But to go back to my example, that 2014 Camry is just 100llbs lighter than my Forester too. So I can only imagine a shitload of cars weigh more than my SUV.

edit: I guess I just don't get why only vehicles classified as SUVs. Since a car can be bigger, heavier, and pollute more than my SUV very easily. On the NPR program they were talking about parking space size but again... two of the most popular cars in history ever made are bigger than my SUV. I have a feeling some malice might have been behind this.

Pennywise the Frown has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Feb 6, 2024

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

But to go back to my example, that 2014 Camry is just 100llbs lighter than my Forester too. So I can only imagine a shitload of cars weigh more than my SUV.

edit: I guess I just don't get why only vehicles classified as SUVs. Since a car can be bigger, heavier, and pollute more than my SUV very easily. On the NPR program they were talking about parking space size but again... two of the most popular cars in history ever made are bigger than my SUV. I have a feeling some malice might have been behind this.

In general, SUVs are less efficient than cars due to aerodynamics and drivetrain losses, so this is an environmental tax disguised as a parking tax.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Top 20 best selling cars in France 2022
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/france/2022-full-year-france-top-20-best-selling-car-models/

tl/dr a SUV is the biggest car on the road in Paris. If you brought an F150 there you'd start a riot and then the fire would probably end it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/xYvl03d.mp4

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh, and speaking of horses and escalators, also don't look up shredders on youtube

I googled horse shredder and it's loving horrifying :gonk:

:nms:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't read french, especially not legal french, so I don't know if the law is actually targetting SUVs by name or if the law is written in such a way as to target mostly SUVs. Which is two different things.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Top 20 best selling cars in France 2022
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/france/2022-full-year-france-top-20-best-selling-car-models/

tl/dr a SUV is the biggest car on the road in Paris. If you brought an F150 there you'd start a riot and then the fire would probably end it

That makes sense. I was comparing a rational EU partner to the wild west of the USA car culture.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As per US law any car that can travel 3/5ths of a football field in less 4/9ths of a jiffy and weighs more than two score and six hundredweights is a SUV.

Of course in some states it's solely based on how many rods to the hogshead it gets.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FreudianSlippers posted:

As per US law any car that can travel 3/5ths of a football field in less 4/9ths of a jiffy and weighs more than two score and six hundredweights is a SUV.

Of course in some states it's solely based on how many rods to the hogshead it gets.

This is Napoleon's fault.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

FreudianSlippers posted:

The 3/5ths rule is only in southern states.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Quid posted:

It's good but am I reading that right, only 5.7% of the population voted? Is that normal for them or is a referendum some sort of unique situation to explain such a low turn out?

A referendum is a non-binding public opinion poll run by the government. The turnout means 94.3% of Parisian voters didn't care enough about the parking fees to express an opinion.

Though 54% in favor makes it more popular than Brexit, so if it's what the government wanted to do anyway, full steam ahead!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought referendums were binding and plebiscites were non-binding, huh.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Scratch Monkey posted:

wtf does “aesthetic” mean here?

No one answered you seriously so I'll take a stab at it.

I'm assuming she means that instead of working out to "look good", she started working out to get strong and didn't know her own strength.

As an other poster said though, that lamp post doesn't look very sturdy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'll try this again:
https://i.imgur.com/xYvl03d.mp4

Huh, it works. When I tried posting it earlier I couldn't get it to appear inline however I formatted it

limp_cheese posted:

No one answered you seriously so I'll take a stab at it.

I'm assuming she means that instead of working out to "look good", she started working out to get strong and didn't know her own strength.

As an other poster said though, that lamp post doesn't look very sturdy.

I think she meant to type 'athletic' but autocorrect hosed it up

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's actually this:

iwentdoodie posted:

Making videos of yourself acting like you're in a wes Anderson film

you crusty old farts.

Not a typo; a neologism for a twee, hyper-curated vibe online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY this person was sitting down on a moving escalator.

So far I've only come up with that they're drunk, high as balls, or stupid as gently caress. Possibly all three.