Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Timby posted:

Edit: Kevin Sullivan, top (this is what led to Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Saturn and Malenko asking for their releases and immediately jumping to WWE).

Benoit finally won the world title in WCW and asked for his release the day after. LOL

bradzilla posted:

Kevin Nash got the book in WCW and immediately booked himself to lose a retirement match is the gold standard

Was this the fingerpoke of doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bradzilla posted:

Kevin Nash got the book in WCW and immediately booked himself to lose a retirement match is the gold standard
man's a genius

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

bradzilla posted:

lol that rules

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
HHH is a better booker than vince but thats not saying much because vince's ideal babyface is hulk hogan and that's all he ever wanted to book

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you might think stone cold and the attitude era is vince's favorite kind of storyline but its actually the lame superhero wrestler who never loses clean and is squeaky clean which is why roman reigns face run was so obnoxious

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

HHH is a huge dork and he does a great job of appearing like he wants the in-ring product to be good. But he's been in WWE for like 30 years and is basically Vince Jr. He has a pretty long history of burying up and comers at the start or middle of a big push to pay their dues or whatever.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you might think stone cold and the attitude era is vince's favorite kind of storyline but its actually the lame superhero wrestler who never loses clean and is squeaky clean which is why roman reigns face run was so obnoxious

Hogan wrestled like a heel but acted like a babyface in his prime WWF run. Cena wrestled and acted like a babyface except he bumbled his way to winning for most of his run.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
miss cena every day...

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Well yeah, stone cold punked vince every week, and while vince has no trouble doing a work to keep the marks happy (because he is instinctually a carny), I still think he doesn't really get why stone cold was so popular. It saved the company, so he'll do it, but he never learned why, and he would never let anyone do that if the company wasn't in dire straits because he hates being seen as weak.

Even during Romans face run against 'The Authority' they were still trying to sell Roman as John Cena v2, so when he quote unquote guiled his way into the title picture it was silly prank stuff like spiking the gms coffee. You could say it was because unlike the attitude era it was PG, but the shield as faces never had an issue beating up authority figures.

I think Vince just doesn't have it in him to portray the person he considers to be the top face of the company as a vindictive, vengeful, almost petty figure, which is pretty funny considering the crop of top talents he's had over the years. Maybe he hates portraying the main good guy as having human traits because it reminds him too much of how often those human traits were nightmares to deal with, or maybe vince himself is twisted enough that any trait that could be negative reminds him too much of himself. Trying to figure that out means having to dive into the mind of a guy that I think all of us, especially since the past fortnight, would rather not.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

HHH may be a shithead but it seems (and correct me if I'm wrong on this) that he genuinely does care about the storylines, creating actual cool matches, developing talent and things like that, which makes it all the more lol that the Rock of all people comes back out of nowhere

HHH did a "racism wins" storyline.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the authority (stephenie and HHH) ended up being so bad because they never lost that they effectively killed the evil wrestling authority figure storyline

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was cool when they tried to push roman reigns as an underdog when he was most the most corporate mandated babyface ever though lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

miss cena every day...

his postgame midcarder run ruled

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a lot to say about john cena but the man has granted the most make a wishes for sick children so thats something in his favor

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
roman's face run was amazing. he was simultaneously booked as a stone cold-style rowdy s.o.b. that didn't hate his boss or raise hell and wasn't good at shittalking, a john cena-style superman that didn't win matches or love the troops or encourage kids to do their best with cheesy slogans, and a daniel bryan-style talented underdog being held down by authority that couldn't wrestle and the fans weren't behind and the bosses obviously actually loved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4jHoCq6aOM

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SirPhoebos posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cubone posted:

roman's face run was amazing. he was simultaneously booked as a stone cold-style rowdy s.o.b. that didn't hate his boss or raise hell and wasn't good at shittalking, a john cena-style superman that didn't win matches or love the troops or encourage kids to do their best with cheesy slogans, and a daniel bryan-style talented underdog being held down by authority that couldn't wrestle and the fans weren't behind and the bosses obviously actually loved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4jHoCq6aOM

the roman reigns story is incredible

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you aren't into wrestling or havent watched it in years it can be very difficult to explain the story of roman reigns and why everyone hated him without seeming crazy

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite story of Roman's face run was when they put him in the Royal Rumble at #1 with his title on the line. The idea was that early on, he would be pulled out of the ring under the bottom rope, beaten up by four guys, and thrown through a table. That would make him too injured to continue, only to have him return late in the match so he could be there at the end. Solid idea.

The problem was that they didn't want to have Roman led to the back by officials. That would make him look weak. Roman was going to walk to the back himself! Which begged the question of if Roman was able to get up and walk to the back with no problem, why couldn't he just go back to doing the Rumble? They tried so hard to make him look cool that he ended up looking lame.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I Can. I will.

*15 minute squash match in the main event of Wrestlemania ending with Seth Rollins cashing in MitB*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cubone posted:

man's a genius

he had the book multiple times and it was also what gave us goldberg losing via cattle prod lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm the Big Dog of The Shield!

*pisses hot, loses triple threat to Dean Ambrose*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bradzilla posted:

HHH is a huge dork and he does a great job of appearing like he wants the in-ring product to be good. But he's been in WWE for like 30 years and is basically Vince Jr. He has a pretty long history of burying up and comers at the start or middle of a big push to pay their dues or whatever.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince was so angry about roman not getting popular that he personally took over writing roman's promos and then vince made roman reigns say "suffering succotash, son!" because he thought it would make roman look cool

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It's all about the game, and how you play it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
roman is a much better heel but we've run into the same problem where roman isn't allowed to lose or look weak and now he's not on tv anymore they also had to make roman a special belt because he's beaten everyone on the roster several times over at this point

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
HHH was very good at making sure any loss he ever took had the minimum amount of shine lost on him, which I guess he had to be because his preferred style of pacing a match makes every HHH match slow and boring garbage.

I remember he fought in a handicap match against Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase Jr that he lost, only to grab a mic and go "ughh hurrrrr that hurt but hey before you celebrate kicking my rear end I'm putting DX back together again" and buddy, the hole underneath Legacy was dug in record time.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I'd argue the pandemic and the time off from that essentially saved his career.

Covid was relatively new and the vaccines weren't administered yet, so they kept Reigns off due to his compromised immunity due to just recovering from Leukemia.

Then comes back as a heel, but this run still has problems. They book him like a strong bad rear end with Chickenshit heel characteristics. It's like everyone has amnesia after Solo hits someone.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the royal rumble where the crowd just goes nuclear on everyone once bryan danielson is eliminated early and proceeds to get even more angry once roman runs in and wins lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Sufferin succotash, son

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

roman is a much better heel but we've run into the same problem where roman isn't allowed to lose or look weak and now he's not on tv anymore they also had to make roman a special belt because he's beaten everyone on the roster several times over at this point

And now he's going to do the Job to a 50-year old who hasn't been in a pro-wrestling match in nearly decade :aloom:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the royal rumble where the crowd just goes nuclear on everyone once bryan danielson is eliminated early and proceeds to get even more angry once roman runs in and wins lol

Hey look, the ending of night two of WM 40.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Okuteru posted:

Hey look, the ending of night two of WM 40.

I haven't watched wwe in 5 years and I can tell you there is zero chance Roman retains lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

unless they want to shatter a meaningless kayfabe record, in which case roman will be champ for another three years

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

lol NM I take back what I said

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a lot to say about john cena but the man has granted the most make a wishes for sick children so thats something in his favor

Cena seems like a genuinely nice and chill dude, which is going to make it suck harder when it's exposed he directed some sort of massacre or something like that

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

:lol: Daniel Bryan gets eliminated as Goldust's "SHATTERED DREAMS" titantron starts on the screen

they knew

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So with Federal Prosecutors looking into the Vince McMahon situation, will they be allowed to start pulling people in to ask what they knew and when? Or will they be forced to keep any investigation focused on Vince?

Similarly will more or less than 5 people involved attempt to set up plea deals to bury McMahon like Carolyn Ellison did to SBF?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

So with Federal Prosecutors looking into the Vince McMahon situation, will they be allowed to start pulling people in to ask what they knew and when? Or will they be forced to keep any investigation focused on Vince?

Similarly will more or less than 5 people involved attempt to set up plea deals to bury McMahon like Carolyn Ellison did to SBF?

This all happened in WWE on company time, inside WWE property by and to WWE employees. I'd think that makes anything and everything fair game, at least wrt who are the rapists, enablers and accomplices.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
People are going to trip over their own Dicks trying to declare that they never had any knowledge of any of this. Then the feds are going to get Vinces phone and it's going to implicate like half the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

There's no chance (THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT) they haven't already pulled his phone and records