Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Related, is it explicitly stated that the safehand is always the right? I assumed it was just the non-dominant hand since I don't remember it being explicitly mentioned

the left hand is always covered, which means lefties have more trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

81sidewinder posted:

Finished The Way of Kings earlier this week. Hoo baby this rules. Coming off of Wheel of Time I wanted something similar, but more organized, haha. Feels like I hit the jackpot here.

I also think this book had way less of my biggest criticism of Sanderson than his Wheel books or Mistborn era 1 - that the magic systems explanations can feel like a D and D manual. The powers are explained pretty thoroughly, but seemed to fit the narrative much more seamlessly.

Kaladin is one of my favorite characters, ever the way we had his current story interwoven into the flashbacks and then they both simultaneously get a payoff, just so satisfying. He's obviously our main character, and I'm sure things will continue to get worse, then better, then worse for him

I wish Shallan and Jasnah were woven into the main story a little better in this book. I'm sure it's coming, but the way their story played out almost felt like a different book. Excited to see how their arrival stirs things up

Dalinar, Adolin and Navani their portions of the book were kind of tedious early on, but really ramped up into an excellent payoff. From when he gets betrayed until the end of the story is so much fun.

Predictions -

1. Dalinar's visions are obviously the 'big bad' of the story, and are probably the underlying threat going on while the people jockey for position in the worlds of men. Bringing back the Knights Radiant is a books-long story and it's probably going to pay off in book 5.

2. Shallan and Kaladin have a romance that is complicated by their roles in the conflict. When they ultimately get together, it will be a great moment.

3. Szeth is the Han Solo/Lan Mandragoron of the story. He continues to be a tortured badass and ultimately joins the heroes.

4. The truth about Dalinar's wife rocks the heroes in a big way - his relationship with either Adolin or Navani is dramatically altered when we learn the truth

5. Elhokar is likely to die pretty quickly to create a power vacuum

This is really good. Thanks for posting this, we always enjoy those new reader speculations!

I think there's no better series to get in if you're coming from Wheel of Time than Stormlight Archive. It's the most natural successor to the former. You've read Sanderson's WoT books, and the whole structure of SA is a lot more similar to WoT than Mistborn. A major facet of WoT were the different cultures. Andorans, Aiel, Sea Folk and Seanchan had all pretty distinctive societies. There's even the split with the religious differences between the "Randland" people following the Karaethon Cycle, the Aiel following the Prophecy of Rhuidean, and the Seanchan following the Essanik Cycle. While in Stormlight Archive, most of the eastern kingdoms follow Vorinism, while the western realms follow increasingly dissimilar faiths.

If you liked WoT, you will probably enjoy Stormlight Archive as well. For me, WoK was a very good book, but both Words of Radiance and especially Oathbringer were clear steps above WoK.

As others wrote, some of your predictions are pretty accurate, others less so, and I bet it will be a lot of fun for you to find out which were right.

For a related topic, new readers don't peek (Rhyhtm of War spoilers):Mentioning Kaladin as the main character is interesting. That's certainly the impression you get from book 1, but I wonder how true that will be in hindsight. For now, Dalinar feels like the more important character, and it seems impossible that he won't be a big focus character for the Contest of Champions if he's Honor's champion. But his role will probably shrink a lot post-contest. Or not, since as it's right now, he will either win and survive to play a role, or lose, die and join the Fused as Odium's general, an absolutely terrifying prospect. But also, even if he does win and survive, he's not getting younger, and there's a timeskip coming up. And if he becomes a cognitive shadow, serving Odium would make him an antagonist and so also preclude him from being the main character.

Kaladin has the advantage here, since he could step much more naturally into Dalinar's current role if there were to be a 20 year timeskip. I'm extremely unsure how long the timeskip will be. It could be as little as five years, so that Lift is barely an adult, but I could also see a 20 year timeskip, too. Gavinor would be in his mid-twenties then. But with Renarin, Jasnah and Lift being protagonists in the back half, I think a shorter timeskip is more realistic. Convention demands some of the protagonists in these kind of fantasy stories are twenty-somethings.

And the Stormfather called Kaladin "Son of Tanavast", which is surely important? So he could turn out to be the main character, after all.

But do other people think he should be considered the main character right now? He's not quite in the position of Rand in Wheel of Time, who's the Dragon Reborn after all. There's never a doubt that he's the main character of the series, but there were books he was definitely not the main characters off, with others getting much more screentime.

Kaladin is much less obviously the main character, but he always plays a big role. I'm curious about people's perspective of him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If Sanderson is making me believe that Jasnah is a bitch, he’s done a great job. Also, good luck to whichever director has to figure out the scale of the veil and all those alcoves and darkness.

Jasnah is abrasive, yeah. She's the smartest person in any given room and she's gone through life as a royal on one hand so everyone is deferring to her, but a woman on the other, so nobody listens. It's left her with a very stunted emotional intelligence.

81sidewinder posted:

I also think this book had way less of my biggest criticism of Sanderson than his Wheel books or Mistborn era 1 - that the magic systems explanations can feel like a D and D manual.
lol, you're gonna hate RoW.

quote:

Predictions
And these are just :discourse: Be sure to come back and read them again after you finish WoR!

Torrannor posted:

For a related topic, new readers don't peek (Rhyhtm of War spoilers):
Kaladin is much less obviously the main character, but he always plays a big role. I'm curious about people's perspective of him.

I think he's the main character and he'll end up in the duel somehow. Dalinar intends to be his own champion, but.. no, I'm with Syl on this one. Kaladin is going to end up in that role.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

For a related topic, new readers don't peek (Rhyhtm of War spoilers):Mentioning Kaladin as the main character is interesting. That's certainly the impression you get from book 1, but I wonder how true that will be in hindsight.

Well obviously the answer to your question is Hoid, Wit, or whatever he wants to be called. He’s just a stealth main character that first book(s).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Re: RoW spoilers

clearly lift is intended to be the main character

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
This is Chiri-chiri erasure and I will not stand for it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DarkHorse posted:

This is Chiri-chiri erasure and I will not stand for it

Book 10 is going to be about how Chiri-Chiri battles Nightblood for the last drop of Stormlight on Roshar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got an "I am a stick" shirt from Amazon today.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
So I just finished Part One of The Way of Kings (Apology’s for my slow reading. Still getting my reading skill back up to Par.)

Holy poo poo, Kaladin getting his spirit and flame back after being in that depressive state got me fired up. I’m ready to run through a brick wall for that man.

Prediction: Kaladin stages a Coup and takes over as Commander of the Camp.
Prediction 2: Some fishy stuff gets exposed between the Parshendi and the High Lord Sadeas.
Prediction 3: Syl is more than just a spirit. She’s either a former love who came back to help Kaladin or she’s some form of goddess.

Now back to enjoying this epic book.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

(Apology’s for my slow reading. Still getting my reading skill back up to Par.)

I’m ready to run through a brick wall for that man.

On the first: no apologies necessary. This isn’t English class, and there isn’t a quiz with a deadline. Enjoy the books at whatever pace you like, or they might stop being so enjoyable. But don’t forget to go back and read some of the impressions of the other new readers who’ve finished the same content, to see if your takeaways match up, and whether you’re predicting the same things having read the same book.

On the second: you and me both.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The only quizzes are ranking and shipping quizzes.

Who do you like best?

Who needs to make out with who?

etc.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Torrannor posted:

This is really good. Thanks for posting this, we always enjoy those new reader speculations!

I think there's no better series to get in if you're coming from Wheel of Time than Stormlight Archive. It's the most natural successor to the former. You've read Sanderson's WoT books, and the whole structure of SA is a lot more similar to WoT than Mistborn. A major facet of WoT were the different cultures. Andorans, Aiel, Sea Folk and Seanchan had all pretty distinctive societies. There's even the split with the religious differences between the "Randland" people following the Karaethon Cycle, the Aiel following the Prophecy of Rhuidean, and the Seanchan following the Essanik Cycle. While in Stormlight Archive, most of the eastern kingdoms follow Vorinism, while the western realms follow increasingly dissimilar faiths.

If you liked WoT, you will probably enjoy Stormlight Archive as well. For me, WoK was a very good book, but both Words of Radiance and especially Oathbringer were clear steps above WoK.

As others wrote, some of your predictions are pretty accurate, others less so, and I bet it will be a lot of fun for you to find out which were right.

This is great to hear. I read Mistborn era 1, and really liked it, but didn't LOVE it. I think it just suffered from being 'not Wheel of Time'. Good to hear another vote of confidence that I'm in the right place with Stormlight.

As much as I loved WoT, it really suffered from RJ not seeming to know where it was going the whole time. I know Sanderson has all his poo poo outlined and isn't ever going to hit a slog. Feels like this could surpass Wheel for me.

CapnAndy posted:

And these are just :discourse: Be sure to come back and read them again after you finish WoR!

Taffer posted:

I love prediction posts! I won't spoil anything, except to say that some were close to the mark and some are far off. Keep posting through your journey! :allears:

Absolutely, see you all in a a few weeks

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

So I just finished Part One of The Way of Kings (Apology’s for my slow reading. Still getting my reading skill back up to Par.)

Don’t worry about how long it takes you to get through these books. I’ve been doing them via audiobook and Way of Kings took my multiple months.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

The only quizzes are ranking and shipping quizzes.

Who do you like best?

Who needs to make out with who?

etc.

Vaguely end of each book spoilers:

Way of Kings: Kaladin and Shallan should kiss

Words of Radiance: Same but Kaladin and Adolin should kiss too

Oathbringer: Why haven't Adolin and Shallan adopted Kaladin into their kissing time

Rhythm of War: Kaladin and Leshwi should kiss

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 5, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Why you have to make Kaladin suffer though all that shipping is beyond me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

I trust in (OB) Sylphrena knowing best.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

M_Gargantua posted:

If Kaladin isn’t suffering, is it really Kaladin :thunk:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pik_d posted:

Vaguely end of each book spoilers:

Way of Kings: Kaladin and Shallan should kiss

Words of Radiance: Same but Kaladin and Adolin should kiss too

Oathbringer: Why haven't Adolin and Shallan adopted Kaladin into their kissing time

Rhythm of War: Kaladin and Leshwi should kiss

Some people here have voiced dissatisfaction with rereading WOK and Kal's flashbacks. What stuck out to me in rereads is how full of holes his backstory is. I bring this up here because he specifically mentions some past romance and then it just...moves on, never to talk about her again. That happens so, so much, about his life after being made a slave.

It's irritating because it left me wanting more but are we actually gonna get more?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

NikkolasKing posted:

Some people here have voiced dissatisfaction with rereading WOK and Kal's flashbacks. What stuck out to me in rereads is how full of holes his backstory is. I bring this up here because he specifically mentions some past romance and then it just...moves on, never to talk about her again. That happens so, so much, about his life after being made a slave.

It's irritating because it left me wanting more but are we actually gonna get more?

Stormlight 5 spoilers:

Questioner
Is Tarah, Kaladin’s flame, still currently in Urithiru? Because there’s a chapter where it kind of seems like she’s there.

Brandon Sanderson
I will answer that in Book Five, so I’m gonna RAFO you. That is at least my plan; one of the interludes should be from her viewpoint. That is my plan right now.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/508-dragonsteel-2022/#e15844

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

Going through Words of Radiance, I'm constantly surprised by how much I loving love the Shallan flashbacks. They feel interesting, full of intrigue and suspense. And there's also mystery to it.

Meanwhile, I felt like Kaladin's flashbacks were too numerous, too long, without enough actual meat to them.

Kaladin flashbacks are to Stormlight what Kate episodes are to :lost:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

I trust in (OB) Sylphrena knowing best.

Her sitting on the headboard cheering Kaladin on is so on brand it has to be canon at this point

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The first rule of Sando club is you always talk about what you're reading to the thread.

...So I'm going through Warbreaker and I'm absolutely loving the (Warbreaker and the tiniest of Sunlit Man spoilers) ethical concerns of the magic system so far. The choice to make Breaths a standard unit of measure for Investiture in the far flung future cosmere is fascinating considering the source. The expending of Breath is such an extreme moral departure from the other external power sources like Stormlight or burning metal. Even with it only being able to be transferred "Willingly", it's already been shown off as literally children being sacrificed to their gods.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 6, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of Warbreaker - I have a question about an element of that book and I can't remember if it is answered in that book.

Nightblood likes sucking up investiture, but is Nightblood expending the investiture it is soaking up or is it being stored within the sword? And what does more investiture for the sword actually do?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't actually know what the answer is but I'm 99% sure it's RAFO

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of Warbreaker - I have a question about an element of that book and I can't remember if it is answered in that book.

Nightblood likes sucking up investiture, but is Nightblood expending the investiture it is soaking up or is it being stored within the sword? And what does more investiture for the sword actually do?

I remember seeing a WoB saying it’s possible for Nightblood to be full, but I don’t remember anything about what that would mean or what it does with it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

rafikki posted:

I remember seeing a WoB saying it’s possible for Nightblood to be full, but I don’t remember anything about what that would mean or what it does with it

Rhythm of War spoilers (I think) Nightblood felt full for a bit and needed a nap after its cognitive self stabbed Rayse and drank him to death. Presumably it's on the order of consuming a Shard itself. Also Nightblood is considered one of the most heavily Invested things in the Cosmere at this point

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

rafikki posted:

If you don’t know what Shards are, don’t click: yeah, Nightblood will be full when it has absorbed sixteen Shards worth of Investiture, at which point a sentient talking sword that hates evil will be the new god of the Cosmere.

Edit: I made my post in jest and then DarkHorse came in with evidence that I might be onto something. :toot:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not sure, but I think it needs to consume investiture to stay alive. Like a sword-shaped Returned.

DarkHorse posted:

Rhythm of War spoilers (I think) Nightblood felt full for a bit and needed a nap after its cognitive self stabbed Rayse and drank him to death. Presumably it's on the order of consuming a Shard itself. Also Nightblood is considered one of the most heavily Invested things in the Cosmere at this point
That is accurate. Brandon may have been being cheeky with "it's possible for Nightblood to be full", depending on the timing of that WoB.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

All cosmere Whole lotta stuff under the usage section here https://coppermind.net/wiki/Nightblood

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
RE: Nightblood, all cosmere and some WoB:

Brandon has said that NB gets full realllllly quickly when he does something like collapse a perpendicularity or when he ate Rayse. He can kill a vessel like that easily but can't really do anything consequential to an actual Shard.

NB is very invested but completely outclasses by stuff like Primal Aethers and Shards.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 6, 2024

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What is (a) Primal Aether? I don’t recognize that word, but there is very little Cosmere I haven’t read. Where’s it from?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Grundulum posted:

What is (a) Primal Aether? I don’t recognize that word, but there is very little Cosmere I haven’t read. Where’s it from?

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Aether

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats more a thing from his earliest unpublished books from before Elantris. They get mentioned in The Lost Metal and are relevant to the worldbuilding of Tress but otherwise not at all (yet) related to the main plot of the cosmere.

e; Nobody should go click on coppermind links unless you're caught up, even if youre careful its hard not to spoil yourself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats more a thing from his earliest unpublished books from before Elantris. They get mentioned in The Lost Metal and are relevant to the worldbuilding of Tress but otherwise not at all (yet) related to the main plot of the cosmere.

e; Nobody should go click on coppermind links unless you're caught up, even if youre careful its hard not to spoil yourself.

If you are reading in publication order you can use the time machine and filter out spoilers based on when things were published.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I really wish coppermind would implement something like the Dwarf Fortress wiki - at the top of every page is a major version selector, and it displays the page applicable to that version, all the way back to 2007

You don't even have to do it by book, just like some major demarcations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I really wish coppermind would implement something like the Dwarf Fortress wiki - at the top of every page is a major version selector, and it displays the page applicable to that version, all the way back to 2007

Taht's the time machine. It's a wiki wide setting, checkpoints before each major book release

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Special:TimeMachine

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Without going to the Nightblood page, I think what I am confused about wrt Nightblood - if Nightblood is almost like an Investiture fuel tank, what is the difference between a Nightblood that is 0% filled vs a Nightblood that is 25% filled vs a Nightblood that is 100% filled? Is it just that Nightblood is less likely to devour the wielder's soul or whatever? Does Nightblood's actual power increase? If so, what would that look like?

I guess I assumed Nightblood's power doesn't change based on how much Investiture it has, it just means you can use it for longer since it has more fuel in the tank.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Words of Radiance Part 4

I'm cruising at this point. I was curious how long each part of the audiobooks have taken me, so I went back through my post history to run the numbers.

WoK -
Part 1 (7.5 hours) - 10 Weeks
Part 2 (12.75 hours) - 6 Weeks
Part 3 (12 hours) - 5 Weeks
Part 4 (11.25 hours) - 2 Weeks
Part 5 (1.75 hours) - 1 Day (It was short!)

WoR -
Part 1 (6.75 hours) - 4 Weeks
Part 2 (10.5 hours) - 4 Weeks
Part 3 (13 hours) - 2 Weeks
Part 4 (9.5 hours) - 10 Days
Part 5 (8.5 hours) - ???????

The Way of Kings took me almost six months to go through. If I recall, during that time, I often took a week or two break between parts (plus there was the 2+ week period where I was in a delirious stupor thanks to Covid.) Words of Radiance has, overall, has gone much faster - though there were a couple times that I felt bogged down by the interludes, but those have only been minor bumps in the road.

Anyway, to the meat of this:

Part 4 was a blast. This whole section felt like it breezed by. I think that was because how focused it was. The front half was taken up by a lot of Kaladin prison time and the back half was Chasm time. Out of both books, this might have been my favorite part thus far.

THE GOOD

* Kaladin's prison time. I actually liked seeing Kaladin drift into darkness again. It's probably since his prison chapters were, generally speaking, fairly short, so it didn't ever feel like too much. Hoid is still a weirdo and I'm enjoying him a lot.

* Shallan and the Ghostbloods. Shallan is great when she gets to put her cleverness to practice. She's weaker when she reverts to "quip machine." Her time outsmarting the Ghostbloods was great.

* Shallan flashbacks. These flashbacks are so loving good. They genuinely interest me in a way the Kaladin flashbacks did not. I feel like a lot of good character work happens here. I actually feel like the person who benefitted the most from these flashbacks was Balat. From his interlude in WoK, I was very much in the "gently caress this guy" camp. Not so much now.

* Kaladin and Adolin. JUST KISS ALREADY. We love an enemy to lovers arc.

* Dalinar at the feast. His actions here were fantastic. I loved the interactions with Hoid. I'm glad to see Hoid actually sharing some information instead of just smugly being the most informed person in the room.

* The stuff in the chasm. Everything about it was great. I feel like this portion made good on elements promised from early WoK. We had to get a chasm fiend fight at some point, and we got it. My only small complaint is that it felt like the fight was over too quickly. I mean, to a degree it probably has to be, but boy did that final confrontation with the chasm fiend feel like it zipped by and was over before I realized it.

THE UGH

* I'm ready for the lies and secrets to ends. Dalinar suspects Kaladin is a surgebinder. Kaladin suspects Shallan is a surgebinder. Adolin even has his suspicions about Kaladin. I assume part 5 will have everyone laying their cards on the table with regard to their powers.

Overall, I'm having a great time.

I feel the cusp of the Sanderlanche approaching.

Looking forward to part 5, I assume we'll get the following things:

* A final end to the Alethi-Listener war
* Eshonai dies
* The group finds Urithiru
* Somehow, the Voidbringers return

I'll elaborate this more when I finish this book, but as WoR has continued, it has only further cemented my feelings that WoK and WoR feel like they should be a single book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Chasm spoilers: "Please come save us, we're lost and we're making bad puns" is in the running for the funniest line in the series.

Oathbringer spoilers: Kaladin marching in with the entire wall guard and Adolin snarking that it's really everyone else's fault for being surprised; they put Kaladin in a group for at least 48 hours, of course he's in command of it now edges it out in my opinion, that bit cracks me up every time.