Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Had this pop up on my Discord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zero VGS posted:

Lolling so hard irl I spilled a drink

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zero VGS posted:

lmfao

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I picked up this game for free from Epic a long time ago but passed it by because it sounded difficult, fiddly and frustrating. I decided to give it a try and although it seems to be all of those things it's also weird and exceptionally chatty, but... it's interesting and well executed. The vibe is really grim though and I'm not sure if I want to spend alot of time in that space. I'm hoping there's more journeying and building than being stalked by goo ghosts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Overcoming something difficult, fiddly and frustrating and laughing about it is like the main appeal of the game. It rules.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dick Trauma posted:

I picked up this game for free from Epic a long time ago but passed it by because it sounded difficult, fiddly and frustrating. I decided to give it a try and although it seems to be all of those things it's also weird and exceptionally chatty, but... it's interesting and well executed. The vibe is really grim though and I'm not sure if I want to spend alot of time in that space. I'm hoping there's more journeying and building than being stalked by goo ghosts.

Theres plenty of both

Lots of journeying being interrupted by goo ghosts too

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The first mission was pretty depressing, having to carry your mother's body up the hill to the incineration plant. My mother recently died and I had her cremated, and I've been struggling with life. As a metaphor it was rather loud.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

You eventually get more options to avoid the goo ghosts, mostly through the second map being more open so you can take detours to avoid them versus the riskier but faster routes cutting through their territory. You'll also get tools to help deal with them for when you're forced to go among goo ghosts. An important thing it took me a moment to realize: you can bean them directly with the grenades you'll get to mess with them, and it works a lot better than trying to land one near them.

The vibe is overall grim but it's also about wringing hope out of the grimness.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

disposablewords posted:

You eventually get more options to avoid the goo ghosts, mostly through the second map being more open so you can take detours to avoid them versus the riskier but faster routes cutting through their territory. You'll also get tools to help deal with them for when you're forced to go among goo ghosts. An important thing it took me a moment to realize: you can bean them directly with the grenades you'll get to mess with them, and it works a lot better than trying to land one near them.

The vibe is overall grim but it's also about wringing hope out of the grimness.

And very long cutscenes with incredibly cringe dialogue.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Higgs was the only thing in DS that made me cringe. I wanted to smack that dude in the mouth every time he talked.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Megazver posted:

And very long cutscenes with incredibly cringe dialogue.

I dont think I remember anything that cringe

In any case, the cutscenes are pretty well acted, which is not something we usually can say about those things

edit: yeah, I got to agree with Higgs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was very surprised to see Lindsay Wagner.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think I remember anything that cringe

In any case, the cutscenes are pretty well acted, which is not something we usually can say about those things

edit: yeah, I got to agree with Higgs

This was my first Kojima game and I don't really watch anime, so my tolerance for Kojima Writing is a little lower than most of the people here.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Dick Trauma posted:

The first mission was pretty depressing, having to carry your mother's body up the hill to the incineration plant. My mother recently died and I had her cremated, and I've been struggling with life. As a metaphor it was rather loud.

That’s rough. I’m sorry to hear about your mom.

If you stick with the game, it opens up considerably once you hit Chapter 3. I think that’s probably about 7-8 hours of gameplay in. In Chapter 3, you move to a different map, the ‘main’ map, and exploration becomes the focus of the game. The grimness never goes away (and becomes pretty oppressive at endgame), but for a good chunk of the mid game, exploration and discovery are the focus of the gameplay and the storyline.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Megazver posted:

This was my first Kojima game and I don't really watch anime, so my tolerance for Kojima Writing is a little lower than most of the people here.

It was my first one too (besides playing a bit of the first metal gear for NES), but I didint think the writting was that bad, or cringe.

I did found the names (for characters and other things) weird, though

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd read that it's best to power through the first stage because there are a variety of unlocks that make going back to the first stage area to do side quests more tolerable. Not sure if side quests means actual quests from NPCs or just picking up the scads of lost shipments and delivering them.

EDIT: VVV Thank you!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 5, 2024

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd read that it's best to power through the first stage because there are a variety of unlocks that make going back to the first stage area to do side quests more tolerable. Not sure if side quests means actual quests from NPCs or just picking up the scads of lost shipments and delivering them.

That's basically advice to get to Chapter 3 as fast as you can, which I think is the right move. 'Side quests' in this context means any deliveries that aren't mission-critical (I forget exactly how the game differentiates this, but it's pretty clear). So basically for the first two chapters, do all of the missions the game tells you to do, but as far as other deliveries go, wait until you're later in the game and you have better gear to come back and get more stars on the recipients for that first map.

minya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 5, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the majority of the writing was pretty ok to good in the first game but I really would like Kojima to have some sort of editor for female characters. I don't think he's some big misogynist or anything but a lot of the writing for Fragile and Mama just kinda felt gross and bad (not to the level of the MGS4 bosses) and I'd like if it was better in the second game.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did found the names (for characters and other things) weird, though

The character names made a lot more sense when I realized most of them were just what people would end up calling them anyway when chatting about the game online, likely having forgotten a character's name or assuming others might have. Like people just calling Heartman "the heart guy" if his name was actually William, or half the distro center/city people being stuff like "east city guy" (Easton) or "weather man" (Weatherstone).

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Mr E posted:

I think the majority of the writing was pretty ok to good in the first game but I really would like Kojima to have some sort of editor for female characters. I don't think he's some big misogynist or anything but a lot of the writing for Fragile and Mama just kinda felt gross and bad (not to the level of the MGS4 bosses) and I'd like if it was better in the second game.

I mean this is the guy who had a character running around in a stripper outfit and he goes "no no no I'm not a creep there's a legitimate plot reason" and that plot reason was she can only breathe through her skin because ... ???.

What I'm saying is cringe embarrassing female characters is kinda a known quantity for Kojima at this point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
His writing of women is still pretty weak but Death Stranding was a huge improvement over MGS4, MGSV

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Tbh I found Fragile to be pretty cool, I guess you could say Mama's sexist cause she's so sad she's not a mama to a non-ghost baby. Best female Kojima character is definitely Sniper Wolf. He got to have his cake and eat it to by having a sexy femme fatale (who's got her titties out in sub-zero temperatures) but also is a really cool character and the sexy "toying" with her "prey" actually makes the character better and is very fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr E posted:

TBH I think he needs an editor in general. He's fine with big picture conceptual stuff but the actual moment to moment character interaction in his games is always really stilted and weird.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i picked up the first game again and junk dealer gently caress ooffffff

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Fighting Elegy posted:

Tbh I found Fragile to be pretty cool, I guess you could say Mama's sexist cause she's so sad she's not a mama to a non-ghost baby. Best female Kojima character is definitely Sniper Wolf. He got to have his cake and eat it to by having a sexy femme fatale (who's got her titties out in sub-zero temperatures) but also is a really cool character and the sexy "toying" with her "prey" actually makes the character better and is very fun.

The death scene of Sniper Wolf in MGS1 was one of the highlights ofdrama ever made in the history of manking for an angsty teenager playing PS1 - pretty much on level with the last stand and revelation of Gray Fox. I can still recall the music track for it out if memory.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Valtonen posted:

The death scene of Sniper Wolf in MGS1 was one of the highlights ofdrama ever made in the history of manking for an angsty teenager playing PS1 - pretty much on level with the last stand and revelation of Gray Fox. I can still recall the music track for it out if memory.

I played it with a friend at a sleepover and it's the one and only time I've ever seen him cry

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

If there was any person I could throw into the tar lake...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah no kidding. at least zip lines are near, once i finish dealing with this dork and his girlfriend

... oh yeah, and the first "just turn down the difficulty" anti-fun slog :sigh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Cheshire Cat posted:

TBH I think he needs an editor in general. He's fine with big picture conceptual stuff but the actual moment to moment character interaction in his games is always really stilted and weird.

I want more

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I kinda think if Kojima had an editor make his poo poo less weird, the serious parts wouldn't hit the same. The utterly absurd bits in his games, the weird dialogue, the peeing soldiers, all that poo poo contrast with the serious parts and make them stronger.

But, 100% he needs someone to sit there and say nope when he write women.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hadn't played for a while and forgot some of the controls. I was doing fine delivering stuff with my truck and zip lines but then went to pick up a lost package and forgot I needed to hold the button down and immediately chucked it down some ravine where it broke.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I feel really awful for 'regular people' who play his games. I watched a chat streamer try DS and just immediately go the wrong way, fall over and declare the game too difficult. People pointed out the issue but they were kicked for back seating.

Once they started going down the first big hill they decided the music was cool and it was a good game again.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

That opening walk down to the city with the music is so so so good

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I almost gave up on the game the first time cause I found the controls weird and also the first half hour or so is very cutscene heavy, a bit too much for my taste

But as soon as we start actually delivering poo poo and exploring, I got hooked

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 6, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

queeb posted:

That opening walk down to the city with the music is so so so good

I just wish once you got there/spent time there the city felt more alive.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The translation team for MGS1 did a fantastic job editing down his work so it was to point and while still retaining all the weirdness, they even had a script doctor touch everything up a little (aka David Hayter) so all military stuff sounded more authentic. All in the name of pacing. I’ve read they also added the iconic insertion by torpedo cinematic, but I don’t know if that’s true or not.

However, he had them fired because Kojima doesn’t like editors, and is a firm believer he doesn’t need one.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 6, 2024

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Back Hack posted:

However, he had them fired because Kojima doesn’t like editors, and is a firm believer he doesn’t need one.

For the most part, he's right, but

Ciaphas posted:

Personality aside, which his is completely understandable, that entire plotline desperately needed someone to look at it and fix it. Don't fix the little quirks here and there, but when chunks of your plot are giving people the complete wrong vibe, someone to prevent you writing stories about someone who's dating "their own daughter" could do with an editor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Back Hack posted:

Kojima is the guy who went with "I grafted this dead guy's arm onto me and now I get possessed by him and my voice changes to his accent" in MGS2.

Then (I assume someone else) wrote their way out of all that in MGS4 with "Nanomachines, son!" and "Self-hypnosis, son!" which, I mean I'm not sure if I could have done better. A wizard did it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Slickdrac posted:

Personality aside, which his is completely understandable, that entire plotline desperately needed someone to look at it and fix it. Don't fix the little quirks here and there, but when chunks of your plot are giving people the complete wrong vibe, someone to prevent you writing stories about someone who's dating "their own daughter" could do with an editor.

That part was incredibly strange, and not in the good way. I actually liked the Mama and Lockne plot but I do see the issues people have with her character.

The first hour or so is a very weird introduction to the game. Even the focus on Fragile (who I love) in the intro cutscene seems weird when we don't hear anything more about her for two huge episodes. I also laughed out loud at DIE-HARDMAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't get why people argue Kojima needs an editor/ needs to be reined in. The guy has being doing his poo poo for three decades to wild critical and commercial success. Why mess with that?