Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

devmd01 posted:

Put the kids to bed and turned on Predator, just finished. :patriot:

Wake the kids up and make them watch Predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I remember seeing Jackie Chan in an interview about the big stunt at the end of Police Story and he admitted being all "deep breaths this is either gonna rule or I die trying"

It ruled thank you Mr. Chan. Think he broke his spine

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 3, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lmao this mall fight is the epitome of "put Jackie in a place and let him hit people with random poo poo"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HELL YEAH SHOW THAT poo poo THREE TIMES

E: lmao just end on Jackie Chan at wit's end punching a fool

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 3, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

HELL YEAH SHOW THAT poo poo THREE TIMES

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Show it one more time in the credits for good measure!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fuckin hell I just rewatched Argo and thought the whole time that was Rene Auberjonois in an uncredited role or something but it was Victor Garber

Kept going "HUHH!" every time he was on screen

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The wildest thing about Jackie Chan is he did all the choreography for these movies

Nobody made him do this, dude just has a wild commitment for dangerous jokes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone identify a movie for me

There's a scene where the adult boyfriend is waiting for his girlfriend to get ready, and he's standing awkwardly in the living room with her father who is dourly watching TV. He tries to make conversation, says "Hi Mr. So-and-so" and the father just sits there apparently ignoring him. "What are you watching?" And he just silently points at the TV :lol:

I thought it was Grosse Pointe Blank (it has that similar scene setup) but it isn't that. I want to say maybe Peggy Sue Got Married or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

The wildest thing about Jackie Chan is he did all the choreography for these movies

Yeah, he's way closer to Johnny Knoxville or Buster Keaton in his film making style than the majority of HK martial arts stats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm fairly certain Jackie Chan was a not insignificant influence on Jackass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And I'm pretty sure Keaton was an influence on Chan.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1753810583265354061?t=DGYaGaHK4PdG06-aAYzPJg&s=19

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I died seven times over watching that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Both astoundingly lucky to be alive. Buster probably isn't he'd be like a hundred and fifty

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Both astoundingly lucky to be alive. Buster probably isn't he'd be like a hundred and fifty
The Steamboat Bill Jr.'s falling wall was particularly insane. They dropped a real, two ton building facade on him that would kill him he moved away from the marked spot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

He literally has a prosthetic part in his skull because he punctured his skull doing a stunt for Armour of God.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They are all January movies, do what your heart tells you.

you're right, there are only so many minutes in my life

i did like poor things tho

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Coda to the Movie of the Year thread: when I was thinking about my list, I pencilled Return to Seoul in very high. But when it came to articulating why, I couldn't clearly express it, and I ended up ranking it below films I could more easily justify. So I gave it a rewatch to see if I could figure it out again.

Second viewing confirmed my instinct on it - I still really like it, could have placed it higher. I think the most compelling element for me was the constant jeopardy I felt, the lead character radiated some kind of dangerous energy that could erupt at any moment. It kept me reeled in for the most part. By the end of the film, she had gone on a arc that left her more centred and calmer. I shouldn't begrudge the growth, she earned it. And there were important emotional beats still to come, and I could see lots of places where the film was making nice callbacks to the initial scenes. But without that energy that kept me riveted in the earlier parts of the film, I just wasn't quite as invested.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Heavy_D posted:

Coda to the Movie of the Year thread: when I was thinking about my list, I pencilled Return to Seoul in very high. But when it came to articulating why, I couldn't clearly express it, and I ended up ranking it below films I could more easily justify. So I gave it a rewatch to see if I could figure it out again.

Second viewing confirmed my instinct on it - I still really like it, could have placed it higher. I think the most compelling element for me was the constant jeopardy I felt, the lead character radiated some kind of dangerous energy that could erupt at any moment. It kept me reeled in for the most part. By the end of the film, she had gone on a arc that left her more centred and calmer. I shouldn't begrudge the growth, she earned it. And there were important emotional beats still to come, and I could see lots of places where the film was making nice callbacks to the initial scenes. But without that energy that kept me riveted in the earlier parts of the film, I just wasn't quite as invested.

I started watching it and I really didn’t like it. Of course all films are contrived but it felt contrived. I never suspended disbelief and for into the story. I know lots of people really likes it though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The Steamboat Bill Jr.'s falling wall was particularly insane. They dropped a real, two ton building facade on him that would kill him he moved away from the marked spot.

Iirc, his shoes were nailed to the ground so he couldn't miss his mark.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

The Peccadillo posted:

Assassin 33 AD. hosed up they didn't call it like The Last Gospel or something

The wildest part of that movie is
one guy being like wait, Jesus just spoke to me in English. That's completely impossible, we are a thousand years before our language, oh poo poo he's actually the son of God. And the other character is just like nah, it's a coincidence! And the plot moves forward

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Luz. At first I was like, gently caress I got tricked again, this is just a boring weird European movie! But then after a bit more I was like, oh poo poo this is really good.

I really liked that it's very explicitly supernatural but in a very basic sort of down to earth way. The supernatural element is only represented via a glowing light. It kinda reminded me of Koji Shiraishi's stuff, where once you've established that there is something else you just need a marker to show when it's doing something, and the marker can be really very small or simple.

The movie looks very arty and abstract but actually everything has clear literal reason and narrative purpose. The bulk of the film is this weird chick who showed up at a police station and was weirdly incommunicative gets put under hypnosis to discover what happened. So she relives the previous evening just like acting it out in a conference room, but elements of it are actually shown to you the viewer. And then elements from the room start to intrude on the memory. It feels like if it was done even slightly worse it would be dumb and hacky, but Luz does it really very well

It's only 71 minutes, check out Luz.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sounds like academy screeners are all digital this year unless members call their union and ask for discs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Sounds like academy screeners are all digital this year unless members call their union and ask for discs

BAFTA has been all digital for a few years now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

you're right, there are only so many minutes in my life

i did like poor things tho

Clearly I like that kind of thing as I saw all three and like half a dozen other movies besides.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s your favorite January movie

Mine is cloverfield

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Surprised the Future coproduced Super Fly remake with Michael K. Williams and Big Boi wasn't a January movie cuz that was January as gently caress.
Lotta movies like that where I'd have never seen em if it weren't for moviepass. Definitely gonna watch Poor Things and Iron Claw, in theaters this month. Saltburn...sometime on Prime, I guess. The nepobaby stink from that seems as bad as Promising Young Woman.

gently caress this all just served to remind me that Michael K. Williams died. :( MKW and PSH went in the same way in the same city.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Mine is cloverfield

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: DARK MIJO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Mine is cloverfield

Book of Eli

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Both Paddington movies were January movies, IIRC?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CelticPredator posted:

Mine is cloverfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhkHqvWxzT4

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

haywire, blackhat, and mama are all great examples of movies that got ignored completely because they came out in january

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackhat is getting the reappraisal it deserves. In a decade it will be as highly regarded as any other Mann masterwork

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
M3gan's a good one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

M3gan's a good one.

I think horror films probably have the best chance of being underrated gems of any genre.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's not so much that it was ignored, it was pretty well received, it's that it was a good film to have out in January- just a fun little technohorror movie with a bit of humor and weirdness to it. A splash of color in a gray month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit I somehow got the fullscreen version of The Lighthouse. I didn’t even know they still made those.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit I somehow got the fullscreen version of The Lighthouse. I didn’t even know they still made those.

[sad harking noises]

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gripweed posted:

so does it fill the widescreen or is it pillarboxed because its aspect ratio is at 1.19:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What’s with January and February movies being a thing? It seems like there should be little competition if you got a big film. Or do people not go and watch films in those months?

It’s cold outside now so movies seem like a great option to me.