Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Robert Redford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LifeLynx posted:

That's the second time I've heard Dave Attell mentioned today. The first was while watching an old Carl Weathers clip from Arrested Development.

This is the second time I've thought "This is the second time I've heard Dave Attell mentioned today" lol

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

James Cagney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both rangas

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

I really can’t stand him half the time, but funnily enough it’s because he cares so much that he often turns into a bit of a selfish rear end in a top hat.

It kind of makes sense how he is with Maddie, but he definitely suffers from Main Character Syndrome

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I completely forgot but there's a new Solar Opposites special dropping tonight/tomorrow. Considering how fantastic the previous specials were I have high expectations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's so weird to me that Donald Glover is 40 years old now. When I watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith it feels like Troy cosplaying an older spy.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Conversely, I only know his co-star from having played a heart surgeon on her show from a decade ago. So I wasn't expecting her to be in her mid-30s, given she would have played the previous role at an age when most are still in medical school.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bright Bart posted:

Conversely, I only know his co-star from having played a heart surgeon on her show from a decade ago. So I wasn't expecting her to be in her mid-30s, given she would have played the previous role at an age when most are still in medical school.

And I only know her from playing a teenager!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I didn't know there was an existing Curb thread already (I looked earlier and didn't see it, but it's at the bottom of page 2) so I made one for the new season:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053543

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

James Cagney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both rangas

I am so tired of Australians thinking they can use vile slurs like these just because their toilets flush in the opposite direction.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Death and other Details feels like detective video game for some reason.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

I am so tired of Australians thinking they can use vile slurs like these just because their toilets flush in the opposite direction.

We get it. But it's a thing here. We have good and services named it and they're not going away. Some redheads including my mum think Ginger is a slur. But it's still used everywhere.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When Tim Minchin moved to Britain he got in trouble for the language he used, which may have passed in Australia but not in the UK. (Which, already the UK is considered to be rather lenient with slurs.)

He made this I think as partly an apology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Which makes his original slurring that got him in trouble, and by extension Australia foul mouthed culture a net positive in this case.

So there's that.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

When Tim Minchin moved to Britain he got in trouble for the language he used, which may have passed in Australia but not in the UK. (Which, already the UK is considered to be rather lenient with slurs.)

He made this I think as partly an apology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Which makes his original slurring that got him in trouble, and by extension Australia foul mouthed culture a net positive in this case.

So there's that.

Well get back to me when Ginger is outlawed in the uk then. Maybe Australia will fall in line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of slurs (lol) back in 2019 SNL fired Shane Gillis four days after they hired him due to racist and homophobic comments coming to light. But that was a whole 5 years ago so now he has been invited back to host the show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of slurs (lol) back in 2019 SNL fired Shane Gillis four days after they hired him due to racist and homophobic comments coming to light. But that was a whole 5 years ago so now he has been invited back to host the show.
Maybe it's not so much that 5 years ago is ancient history as that racism and homophobia are cool again now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mystes posted:

Maybe it's not so much that 5 years ago is ancient history as that racism and homophobia are cool again now

Don't forget transphobia what with Dave Chappelle just showing up randomly the other day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mystes posted:

From what I've seen he's stopped doing it since the firing and his current standup is good. I think 5 years is enough time in the penalty box. I don't know his homophobic stuff but his asian jokes just sounded dumb and didn't offend me. You can hear much worse on any celebrity roast.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

muscles like this! posted:

Don't forget transphobia what with Dave Chappelle just showing up randomly the other day.

Today Chappelle won a Grammy for his most recent stand-up special, so...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pretty clear that the people running SNL don't give two shits about what's offensive or unfunny. For the latter, look at half the sketches they do. They had Nikki Haley on this last episode so she could do a zinger against trump.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I've been kind of obsessed with recently is this old official Law & Order YouTube channel. They have these odd abridged versions of episodes that are like ten minutes long.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

1glitch0 posted:

Today Chappelle won a Grammy for his most recent stand-up special, so...

That sucks

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Shageletic posted:

That sucks

I tried listening to it.

He starts off by saying that he won't punch down because while it's funny to do so his experience with the transgender community showed him the laughs aren't worth the trouble.

He then proceeds to punch down pretty much throughout the special at least until I fell asleep. That was roughly midway, where I'm not kidding you, he takes a five minute break to smoke a cigarette outside. In the middle of an hour long show. I mean they fast forwarded that part but it's still wild.

The sad thing is that I'm the audience he thinks he's speaking to and making laugh: a white, male, educated professional who grew up watching his TV show and still finding it hilarious. Lets be honest I don't think even he believes he's reaching a diverse audience.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Who was he punching down on? What a poo poo dude.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm slightly more forgiving to Chappelle than a lot of people because I generally give stand up comedians a lot of slack, but his latest special was just not good. I can't remember if it was here or another thread where someone brought up "clapter" but that's it 100%. His stuff isn't really funny anymore, it's just fishing for applause

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Shageletic posted:

I don't remember. I am quite sure he did though. I was going to post a list of the people he insults without being funny (at least to me) even aside from the jokes being offensive. There were a handful of groups. Enough that it made up the bulk of his set without it being a 'See? I make fun over everyone!" deal. Which would also not have been funny.

But when I woke up I forgot most of them. I don't think that's my fault. I think that if he wanted to make me think he failed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

Is he still aggressively against non rich people having housing at all?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Medullah posted:

I'm slightly more forgiving to Chappelle than a lot of people because I generally give stand up comedians a lot of slack

I don't. The job of the comedian is to be funny. If they have to be offensive to marginalized groups of people, laughing at not with them, so be it. I can definitely absolutely 100% see why someone would not find this funny just because it is offensive. Personally I can usually laugh even if I'm not proud of it.

If it's not funny, what's left? A form of self expression? Sure. But we're then able to say he's being a lovely person (if you're forgiving like me and don't outright label most people lovely people period). Just like music can be self expression even if it's bad but we can still say it's bad. Unfunny comedy is bad comedy even if it lets the comedian let off steam.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 5, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's rich enough to afford comedy lessons so doesn't deserve any wiggle room.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bright Bart posted:

I don't. The job of the comedian is to be funny. If they have to be offensive to marginalized groups of people, laughing at not with them, so be it. I can definitely absolutely 100% see why someone would not find this funny just because it is offensive. Personally I can usually laugh even if I'm not proud of it.

If it's not funny, what's left? A form of self expression? Sure. But we're then able to say he's being a lovely person (if you're forgiving like me and don't outright label most lovely people period). Just like music can be self expression even if it's bad but we can still say it's bad. Unfunny comedy is bad comedy even if it lets the comedian let off steam.

I think it doesn't necessarily have to be funny, but it does have to be entertaining and compelling. Nanette is a great stand-up special because it's so earnest and heartfelt, but it is also punctuated by jokes that actually land. I think Patton Oswalt's Annihilation is similar. A large chunk of it is sad and depressing, but also very cathartic and when he delivers a joke, it hits naturally. More and more comedians are doing that type of tightrope act and when they do its clear who the real talented ones are.

What you can't do is deliver a rant or story that noone can connect to and then try deliver a joke that thuds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's pretty clear that the people running SNL don't give two shits about what's offensive or unfunny. For the latter, look at half the sketches they do. They had Nikki Haley on this last episode so she could do a zinger against trump.

There's some pretty weird vibes at SNL

When the Try Guys fired one of their partners, specifically the "Wife Guy" who was having an affair with a junior employee, SNL did a skit mocking the 3 Try Guys who released the video explaining what happened as them being a bunch of jealous nerds and completely glossed over the power imbalance.

The writer of the skit was a personal friend of the Wife Guy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

There's some pretty weird vibes at SNL

When the Try Guys fired one of their partners, specifically the "Wife Guy" who was having an affair with a junior employee, SNL did a skit mocking the 3 Try Guys who released the video explaining what happened as them being a bunch of jealous nerds and completely glossed over the power imbalance.

The writer of the skit was a personal friend of the Wife Guy.

John Mayer was on Conan's podcast recently, and without naming names, they went into the weird mindset that exists for people who work on SNL. Conan is pretty easy on them, for understandable reasons, but it's still an interesting look into the competitive and bizarre world that SNL must be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmFQ6yW0UQ

The short short version is that it's super competitive, and you don't necessarily root for your friends there. Conan said that when he worked on The Simpsons, you'd be hoping someone would help you with a scene, because it was a collaborative effort. But at SNL, you either sink or swim on your own merits. You either come up with a good line on your own, or you're gone. So that creates a bunch of siloed off assholes (that last part is not his words, but how I see it), and they take that view into other places, and they don't tend to respect other people who didn't "serve in the trenches".

Conan says this isn't bad. I think he's trying to be kind to his friends. This sounds pretty bad, especially when the end result is what SNL has been lately. And even Conan said (again, without naming names) he experienced the same thing meeting people from previous SNL casts.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 5, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bright Bart posted:

I don't remember. I am quite sure he did though. I was going to post a list of the people he insults without being funny (at least to me) even aside from the jokes being offensive. There were a handful of groups. Enough that it made up the bulk of his set without it being a 'See? I make fun over everyone!" deal. Which would also not have been funny.

But when I woke up I forgot most of them. I don't think that's my fault. I think that if he wanted to make me think he failed.

Either way that's a win for you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

thrawn527 posted:

John Mayer was on Conan's podcast recently, and without naming names, they went into the weird mindset that exists for people who work on SNL. Conan is pretty easy on them, for understandable reasons, but it's still an interesting look into the competitive and bizarre world that SNL must be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmFQ6yW0UQ

The short short version is that it's super competitive, and you don't necessarily root for your friends there. Conan said that when he worked on The Simpsons, you'd be hoping someone would help you with a scene, because it was a collaborative effort. But at SNL, you either sink or swim on your own merits. You either come up with a good line on your own, or you're gone. So that creates a bunch of siloed off assholes (that last part is not his words, but how I see it), and they take that view into other places, and they don't tend to respect other people who didn't "serve in the trenches".

Conan says this isn't bad. I think he's trying to be kind to his friends. This sounds pretty bad, especially when the end result is what SNL has been lately. And even Conan said (again, without naming names) he experienced the same thing meeting people from previous SNL casts.

It doesn't seem to be that complicated to me. Add the weird nervous defensive assholery of any elite and well paying job staffed by people Type A enough to claw their way in or lucky enough to be born into it, to the instinctual and reflexive abrasiveness and the awkward and somewhat cruel observational patter of any comedian you might strike a conversation with, and you get what I imagine it's like to go to a SNL party lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having Nikki Haley on to joke about how she dog whistled to white supremacists is pretty loving gross as are all the news outlets headlining it as "Nikki Haley jokes about gaffe on SNL."

A gaffe is mispronouncing someone's name or stumbling over your words in a speech or misremembering something. It isn't reframing the root cause of the civil war to kowtow to racists in your party and continuing to double down on it.

Stop normalizing this crap!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Having Nikki Haley on to joke about how she dog whistled to white supremacists is pretty loving gross as are all the news outlets headlining it as "Nikki Haley jokes about gaffe on SNL."

A gaffe is mispronouncing someone's name or stumbling over your words in a speech or misremembering something. It isn't reframing the root cause of the civil war to kowtow to racists in your party and continuing to double down on it.

Stop normalizing this crap!

It's the same as Michael Che keeps saying Trump is gonna win. gently caress right off with that bullshit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GreenNight posted:

It's the same as Michael Che keeps saying Trump is gonna win. gently caress right off with that bullshit.

Not to make this too political but anyone looking at polling could say the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Not to make this too political but anyone looking at polling could say the same.

Yeah lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

I mean, Trump has a very good chance of winning, and pretending otherwise is deluding yourself.

Are you just saying "gently caress right off" because it's defeatist and it will cause people to give up and not vote or volunteer?

That being said, this election year will be like no other one in modern history. The only other time two Presidents ran against each other as the candidates of the two major parties* was in 1892 with Grover Cleveland winning his non-Consecutive term (which would be Trump, in this case, even if Cleveland was a Democrat). So who the hell knows what's going to happen. But Trump is ahead in not only the national polls, but the battle ground state polls. And this country is very stupid. I don't love Che, but he's not exactly stupid for saying this.

*I'm not counting Teddy running again third party, as all that did was split the Republican vote, and it doesn't apply here.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's funny that SNL has this reputation on the right that it's some crazy leftist show that only ever dunks on the right when SNL is constantly normalizing the shittiest right-wing politicians because them being lovely is funny for for people who won't be affected by their policies.