Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh this is interesting. “zimmy” has been acting out both sides of the earlier conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At least that's one more terrible chapter finished.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why do I suddenly get a real bad feeling, like we're about to get Jerrek 2.0?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm tired of these oc's

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why do I suddenly get a real bad feeling, like we're about to get Jerrek 2.0?

Zimmy-Coyote merger to make Girl Loup is maybe the worst possible option here so it’s not out of the question

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Her goofy stance in panel two really sealed it for me, no way this is just Zimmy in disguise.

Ugh. I'm so loving done with Loup, I'm so loving done with Jerreck. And I'm already done with whoever this turns out to be.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

you know it's bad when the best possible answer would be Boxbot

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I keep thinking it might be Lana because she's been rocking the same goofy expressions and complete lack of reading the room. I just don't see Zimmy as the type to have some Pink Panther rear end expression on her face while a dead robo boy is getting shuffled off into a warehouse. Red, maybe but not Zimmy.

To be honest I don't want it to be anyone, and the whole thing is just a red herring, but they have too much groundwork laid out for thinking it's Zimmy because she has black hair. Even though the last time Zimmy turned into someone else, she was an elf, and the time before that, she was Annie. And in those scenarios the similarities were personality based first, not physical.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

caught up after, Jesus, how long had it been

going back to sleep on gunnerkrigg for now, the creator somehow managed to make a snooze fest out of some of the fastest pace plot developments and revelations this decades-long project has seen

As I task my two remaining braincells for fifteen seconds to the problem of "what went wrong, and when," the decision to keep doing so many important things off screen and behind timeskips made it basically impossible for the reader to care anymore

You're usually supposed to use plot skips and off-screen things to either build mystery or skip over poo poo that would be boring filler. What he's done is skipped over some of the most dramatic changes in the setting, only lingering on periods of snoozing and minor quibbling.

Most damningly, the author seems to be afraid of (or lacking confidence in) putting major character moments on screen. Rather than showing the cast in the middle of memorable moments of change, drama, revelation etc we are left to only guess what the hell happened at the pivotal plot and character moments the author has cowardly skipped over.

anyway see y'all in another god knows how long

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god, I didn't even consider Lana might be in the mix. That's concerning.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Baller Ina posted:

We're being trolled

This is trolling, at this point

Annointed posted:

WOW NO ONE GIVES A gently caress IN THIS COMIC PEOPLE ARE DYING

coolusername posted:

I refuse to believe this isn’t an edit holy poo poo

kind of sitting here sanity checking my read of the last couple chapters and, yeah, all of this

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Potato Salad posted:

kind of sitting here sanity checking my read of the last couple chapters and, yeah, all of this

who scum

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Potato Salad posted:

As I task my two remaining braincells for fifteen seconds to the problem of "what went wrong, and when," the decision to keep doing so many important things off screen and behind timeskips made it basically impossible for the reader to care anymore

You're usually supposed to use plot skips and off-screen things to either build mystery or skip over poo poo that would be boring filler. What he's done is skipped over some of the most dramatic changes in the setting, only lingering on periods of snoozing and minor quibbling.

Most damningly, the author seems to be afraid of (or lacking confidence in) putting major character moments on screen. Rather than showing the cast in the middle of memorable moments of change, drama, revelation etc we are left to only guess what the hell happened at the pivotal plot and character moments the author has cowardly skipped over.

This is a Homestuck comparison that had not occurred to me.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god, I didn't even consider Lana might be in the mix. That's concerning.

yeah it's probably lana

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If GC is becoming Homestuck, I can't wait for the Tamsyn Muir homage to Gunnerkrigg Court in ten years or so

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

She definitely has those unhinged eyes from The Cursed Drawing, so I'm also betting it's Lana somehow. :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sick of this exhibitionist stripper bot

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lana, having stolen Coyote's strength from within and become a match for Loup (I can't even tell if this is a joke).

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

Lana, having stolen Coyote's strength from within and become a match for Loup (I can't even tell if this is a joke).

Oh gently caress oh gently caress

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lana using the power of love and the power that Jerrik gave her (which is totally a thing that happened off-screen and never came up until now) fights Coyote who has merged with Zimmy and then the Coyote-gopher comes flying in out of nowhere, and punches right through both Lana and Coyote, putting us all out this misery.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Now would be a really great time to stop reading this comic, btw. I mean, I'm probably going to keep reading, but if you're looking for a point to legitimately drop off now would be it, right?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Youremother posted:

Now would be a really great time to stop reading this comic, btw. I mean, I'm probably going to keep reading, but if you're looking for a point to legitimately drop off now would be it, right?

That was mindcage, or if you still wanted to give it another chance then the alleyway scene with lana and the elves.

By this point, those that are left are just here for the trainwreck.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The first big fumble was the chapter where Kat revived the ancient robots. I think Tom admitted in the retrospective that he had second-thoughts about how long it was taking and tried to wrap it up faster and that it hosed up the pacing in the end.

But for me, really really thinking back hard, Catalyst felt a little off. It's going to sound bad, but Paz having a crush on Kat felt forced? And then months ago I found a video at a con or something in a q&a section with the audience where Tom said that he had always planned for Kat to date a girl and that Paz emerged as the strongest candidate organically and I thought "oh, that explains that".

But the big moment where my faith in the comic in a grander scene was really damaged, not just in minor pacing or character interactions, was the Torn Sea. Or rather, the lack of an aftermath.

No adult was ever shown investigating or being concerned about the big ship with students being hijacked? And in hindsight, was there no adult on-board chaperoning the bazillion underage teenagers?

That's when I realized that the author was not interested in transitioning the story from "dreamy young adult dark-ish fantasy where the underage protagonist moves independently and gets up to trouble and adults need to be kept at a distance for the plot to work but it's fine because this is how this sort of genre works" to "a cohesive world where actions have consequences and its inhabitants react to each other and to events in a believable way".

It's also super iffy that, in retrospect, the only way we get those sorts of cause-and-effect plot events are in the form of Annie getting punished: the detentions, not getting the court medium job, her dad getting called because she was disobedient and cheated at class, getting held back a year.

We see in faraway morning from the talking lobster that supposedly the adults at the court are keeping an eye on the students and give them leeway as long as they don't break anything, and while that worked super well at the time nowadays it feels like an excuse for adults being useless and refusing to take control of the events in the plot, or rather, for Tom not to have to keep track of who does what and why.

That's why the shadow men only have the one fumbling attempt to trap coyote and then give up and exit the plot.

That's why we get the whole "the court is building a new magic-free world IN SPACE" and nothing really changes after the reveal.

That's why Loup breaks the court and no one feels sad or scared or stressed in the long term. Paz leaving with her family feels like a footnote on her break-up with Kat and not the reaction of a sane family to the madness going on at the court.

I don't know if it was burnout, or covid lockdown, or wanting to focus on other things and continuing the comic out of obligation or just to keep food on the table because of the patreon, but at some point the author decided not to do the background work of figuring out how to make the world of the comic a functional place where logic, if not realism, motivates the characters and have the plot take shape as a consequence of those conflicting motivations and relationships.

He's instead following a checklist of plot events he has to hit from beginning to end, characterization be damned.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i will confess, i read this page when i was still mostly asleep and somehow thought black-haired girl's goofy poses were mimicking the body language of kat and annie in the last page, hinting that their inane conversation was actually zimmy having deluded herself into thinking she was both girls at once and shallowly imitating them as part of her identity crisis

my bad, she is just being zany

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 6, 2024

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

isasphere posted:

But the big moment where my faith in the comic in a grander scene was really damaged, not just in minor pacing or character interactions, was the Torn Sea. Or rather, the lack of an aftermath.

No adult was ever shown investigating or being concerned about the big ship with students being hijacked? And in hindsight, was there no adult on-board chaperoning the bazillion underage teenagers?

That's when it lost me, too. I couldn't believe an organization that tracks kids through their food and knows very well the kids can outsmart robot chaperones would let them loose on a cruise ship with nobody to watch them but robots and a sea monster. What was she supposed to do if a couple kids, say, got in a fight and injured each other? Capsize the ship? There's whimsy and then there's nonsense

And then we got the millionth iteration of my least favorite running theme in the comic: sometimes someone loves a woman and that makes them do hosed up poo poo. The end. But the theme never really says anything new or goes anywhere, it just is always always there

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Oxxidation posted:

i will confess, i read this page when i was still mostly asleep and somehow thought black-haired girl's goofy poses were mimicking the body language of kat and annie in the last page, hinting that their inane conversation was actually zimmy have deluded herself into thinking she was both girls at once and shallowly imitating them as part of her identity crisis

my bad, she is just being zany

“(Interesting potential twist that makes everything better)

my bad, she is just being zany”

That’s the plot now

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Re: the court administration, I was always under the impression early on in the comic that the court's higher ups were mysterious and capricious, possibly some kind of otherworldly entity that would be revealed to be puppeting things. But then we find out it's just some guy and the weird way the court is run is just for no good reason.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Re: the court administration, I was always under the impression early on in the comic that the court's higher ups were mysterious and capricious, possibly some kind of otherworldly entity that would be revealed to be puppeting things. But then we find out it's just some guy and the weird way the court is run is just for no good reason.

There was the potential for having the story initially show a child's understanding of how the world and institutions work, by apparent otherworldly unscrutable beings with unknown motivations that act in shady, arbitrary ways, and then having Annie learn that it's flawed humans all the way down, with all the chaos and cruelty that entails, but that would have required the story showing us the actual higher ups in more detail at some point to demystify them.

I actually thought the whole thing with Paz and the mice was setting that up for later!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As someone who didn't start reading until midway through the two Annies situation (I think I caught up when they were dealing with the mind wasp things), the cruise ship felt a little weird but didn't wildly stick out to me. I'm willing to forgive the whole "why did the adults let this happen?" thing cus the chapter was fun and I remember it introducing some lore poo poo that I found interesting. There wasn't a jarring change to me until Loup came in and ruined everything. And of course everything since the mind cage has just been a poo poo show. It'd be one thing if the things happening were interesting or fun so we could just shrug off the weird tone / characterization, but almost every chapter is just standing around expositing about more exciting things that happened off-screen. Boring characters in boring locations talking about poo poo we wish we could see.

Honestly the best place to stop is after Jeanne. Leaves a lot of plot lines unresolved, but it does wrap up the primary plot up to that point. Can just leave all the other stuff up to the reader's imagination!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think the comic needed to resolve the Kat Machine Angel and the Annie’s Dad threads… but not how it did, so, whoops.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rat Patrol posted:

I mean we're all headed to our eventual end, if you think about it

I'm going to live forever.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
With strange aeons, even webcomics may die.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I think this story would work better if the Court was trying to blow up the Ether instead of just packing up and leaving.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Annie is so angry and demanding of this character who has done nothing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

isasphere posted:

It's also super iffy that, in retrospect, the only way we get those sorts of cause-and-effect plot events are in the form of Annie getting punished: the detentions, not getting the court medium job, her dad getting called because she was disobedient and cheated at class, getting held back a year.

Annie getting held back was weird to me because she remarks on how everyone in her new grade looks so much younger, but we never actually see them. It would've been more of a digression, but this was at a point prior to the comic Getting Real Serious, so it's not like the pacing would've been hurt if there was a chapter or two of, say, introducing Annie's B Class classmates. Expanding the supporting cast? Adding some new quirky faces to the roster?

Instead, all it did was isolate Annie from the already established roster of her prior classmates. Ensuring we see them even less than before, and making Tony's isolation of Annie feel even more intense. Like, maybe that wouldn't have felt so bad and abusive if we saw some interesting up-sides to Annie being held back a year. Some new friends, a new appreciation for Actually Trying in school, etc.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

In retrospect, the most frustrating part of that whole saga was Annie continuing to defend her dad when her friends came to "save" her, and then the comic later coming out and declaring that stance was right. It's the comic literally advocating for victim blaming and excusing abuse.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In retrospect, the most frustrating part of that whole saga was Annie continuing to defend her dad when her friends came to "save" her, and then the comic later coming out and declaring that stance was right. It's the comic literally advocating for victim blaming and excusing abuse.

aw c'mon. sometimes you love a woman and it just makes you do hosed up poo poo! Like who could even control that! I've got a handy chart:

did you do something hosed up because you feel really strongly about someone else?

no - ok loser

yes - is your name Diego, or are you a boat?

no - you're fine

yes - you're a monster

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The Tony thing still fucks with me because I was like "Oh wow, this is a super accurate depiction of how abuse feels and how easy it is to fall back into abused patterns" but no the takeaway was supposed to be "They really have let Annie run far too loose and it's good she's isolated from her friends and cohorts :3 this is for her own good"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

The Tony thing still fucks with me because I was like "Oh wow, this is a super accurate depiction of how abuse feels and how easy it is to fall back into abused patterns" but no the takeaway was supposed to be "They really have let Annie run far too loose and it's good she's isolated from her friends and cohorts :3 this is for her own good"

Yeah, I think Ysengrin in chapter 54 is the first time I became truly ANGRY at this comic. Not even so much what Ysengrin did/said, but what she says on page 22 drove me NUTS.

Everything after the third panel should have been "go away, I never want to see you again". But instead she says "thank you" and "I was being selfish." NO. gently caress OFF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Women wrong