Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Philthy posted:

Someone help me out here. I just finished rewatching 10 Cloverfield Lane and I don't remember the ending I just saw. At all. The ending I thought I remembered had a jet plane flying way above the clouds as it pans out to show the curvature of the earth, and then Cloverfield suddenly jumps through the clouds grabbing the plane and disappears with it back through the clouds and the credits rolled which was the only connection it had to the original movie and made you go "ah hah, theres the connection".

Was this maybe the original movie I'm thinking of? I absolutely do not remember the pickup truck ending with molotov cocktail ending I just saw.

I'm losing my mind. Seriously.

That's the "third" one that Netflix released, The Cloverfield Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That's the "third" one that Netflix released, The Cloverfield Paradox.

That movie wasn't bad, I don't understand why everybody got so mad about it at the time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is where I remember there was a third one and that must be the only thing I remember about it. Muh brain wormsssss.

Regardless, 10 Cloverfield Lane flipping rocked. Holy crap was that good.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 5, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

That movie wasn't bad, I don't understand why everybody got so mad about it at the time.

I’m always happy to see Elizabeth Debicki working.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, Dementia was a hit and new discovery for Bracketology fans last week. Maybe we got a diamond in here this week too.

Where’ We’re At:
3. Wes Craven’s Deadly Friend vs. 11. (Kangra’s The Rage Virus) Danny Boyle’s Trance
5. (Sam’s #ThrowbackThursday) Ti West’s The Innkeepers vs. 13. (Kangra’s Puberty Sucks) Paul Weitz’s Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Feb 12th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. I Ain't Never Seen This Before vs. 8. Lewton Bus vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa
7. Bracketology Redux vs. 15. Team Fresh Styles

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I think people wanted a new actual cloverfield movie and didn’t like that it’s essentially an anthology series at this point. I thought the movie itself was fine but pretty forgettable.

10 cloverfield lane whipped rear end though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a bit of a weird reaction though considering the second one had already shifted it into an anthology. Seems like a delayed response, although I guess that happens when the second one is good enough for people to not mind. But I don't hate Paradox either and definitely think it got an overreaction.

My theory is that the problem is that Paradox was released on Netflix with a ton of hype after the Super Bowl. And I think there's this trend that's developed with hyped streaming releases where a lot of people go and watch it who wouldn't have ever been tempted to see it in the theater and then they have these really over the top negative reactions to a film they only watched because of the hype and availability. Paradox was probably one of the first of those films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Paradox was just kinda weird and lame. Cool idea but don’t half rear end me

As a cloverfield fanboy who wants another movie with clover again I was totally fine with the anthology at this point

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gripweed posted:

oh, that's easy: yes it was

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not familiar with the director (his debut feature, Vermines, came to festivals last year), but the franchise has batted 1.000 for me so far with a different director half the time and was my intro to each director, so :hellyeah:

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1754586810523464059

Bloody Disgusting posted:

Sébastien Vaniček made his feature debut with Infested (Vermines) just last year, and it’s clear that Raimi and company saw serious Evil Dead potential in the filmmaker. The new course for the Evil Dead franchise is for Raimi to hand select hot up-and-coming filmmakers to put their own spin on the Deadites, which has been working exceedingly well for the bloody saga.

Fede Alvarez directed his own take on Sam Raimi’s original classic back in 2013, which paved the way for Lee Cronin’s Evil Dead Rise last year – 10 years after the remake came out. The wait for the next one won’t be nearly as long. Stay tuned for more.

Infested made its North American premiere at Fantastic Fest and has been acquired by Shudder for distribution. Trace reviewed the film out of Fantastic Fest and gave it 4/5 stars.Trace wrote in his Bloody Disgusting review, “Full of moments that will get under your skin (I kicked my legs up more than a few times in my screening), Vaniček has crafted what is possibly the best “when spiders attack” movie in over 30 years, and that is no small feat.”

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KillerCritics/status/1754549400729448498?s=20

I'm interested!

Hopefully the Frogman says "Get Out" at some point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally, I love when the MCU branches out to horror

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just got out of Lisa Frankenstein. More Tim Burtony rom com than horror comedy but it was cute. Can definitely see it becoming a cult classic down the line.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

I actually really enjoyed Piranha 78! All those crazy quick cuts made it feel like something filmed fifteen years later in a way. And wtf was that little stop-motion fish goblin thing at the start?

Phil Tippet, baby

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Phil Tippet, baby

He's shorter than I imagined

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

He's shorter than I imagined

Well, yeah, that's why he's not Phil Tipp.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Joe Bob episode where he watches Mad God with Tippet was hilarious because the whole time Joe Bob is trying to pry some hard plot info out of Tippet but gets almost nothing out of him.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

The Joe Bob episode where he watches Mad God with Tippet was hilarious because the whole time Joe Bob is trying to pry some hard plot info out of Tippet but gets almost nothing out of him.

It's funny because I grew way more appreciative of the themes of the film as a result. It's all about the vibes and the art, and I love how bold a filmmaker he is even if I don't love Mad God as much as some. It's an incredible artistic achievement with a lot of fantastic imagery and great concepts but the plot pacing never quite worked for me - but hearing Phil talk about the "rape scene" and the ending was thrilling. We really need more weird artists who refuse to explain their art because "if you know you know" - it's definitely why I vibe so much with David Lynch. Some movies you just have to feel deep in your soul in order to get them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

probably my favorite Last Drive In interview

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

They/Them or whatever it was called was loving terrible. Like goddamn just loving awful.

I was really rooting for that one, might be one of the all time greatest horror movie titles. THEY SLASH THEM is up there with HOUSE 2: THE SECOND STORY.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It really sucks that it was so bizarrely regressive. Great concept, great title, an interview from the director that made it seem like the team knew what they were doing regarding horror's queer heart, and then you just get something that kinda sucks but then takes the hardest most depressingly reductive turn. Bleh. Thank god there are a billion fantastic queer horrors out there but I was really rooting for that one :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
BUT IM A CHEERLEADER plus FRIDAY THE 13TH practically writes itself, that said, someone does actually have to write it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

BUT IM A CHEERLEADER plus FRIDAY THE 13TH practically writes itself, that said, someone does actually have to write it.

nail on the head.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They/Them?
They hardly know them!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kevin Bacon was good in it though. However he's good in most everything.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

THE TERROR is getting a third season, called 'The Devil in Silver'. sounds like it's set in an old-timey mental asylum

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

THE TERROR is getting a third season, called 'The Devil in Silver'. sounds like it's set in an old-timey mental asylum

ooh, apparently it's based on a victor Lavalle novel.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Got a sensible chuckle out of this. I'm sure most thread regulars can guess the film, too. Don't you just love horror?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

Out next year, and first two eps are directed by Karyn Kusama :hellyeah:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqg-kPb4CXU I need someone else to watch MONKEY BOY (1990). This is like a real follow-up to XTRO or something, astonishingly weird.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Out next year, and first two eps are directed by Karyn Kusama :hellyeah:

that's a top directorial get, she kills

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crescent Wrench posted:

Got a sensible chuckle out of this. I'm sure most thread regulars can guess the film, too. Don't you just love horror?

Dawn of the Dead was just an all around fun time that may be more fun than Return of the Living Dead which was also a ton of fun from a period of time when horrors were fun

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Dawn of the Dead was just an all around fun time that may be more fun than Return of the Living Dead which was also a ton of fun from a period of time when horrors were fun

:yeah:

The credits are actually a pretty entertaining read because it gets extremely granular with all the extras. Tag yourself. Are you "Black Knit Cap Sunglasses Bearded Biker Riding 1977 Harley-Davidson FX Super Glide Motorcycle" or "Beautiful Curly Haired Female WGON-TV Technician Behind TV Station Employee" or "17 Year Old Brunette Pale Blue Dress Shirt Zombie Clawing at Mall Door"? Sure beats "Thug #6."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

ooh, apparently it's based on a victor Lavalle novel.

wasn't at all interested til i heard this, getting back to a horror novel as basis seems like the right move and I really liked The Ballad of Black Tom

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

:yeah:

The credits are actually a pretty entertaining read because it gets extremely granular with all the extras. Tag yourself. Are you "Black Knit Cap Sunglasses Bearded Biker Riding 1977 Harley-Davidson FX Super Glide Motorcycle" or “Beautiful Curly Haired Female WGON-TV Technician Behind TV Station Employee" or "17 Year Old Brunette Pale Blue Dress Shirt Zombie Clawing at Mall Door"? Sure beats "Thug #6."

I really want this to be wife/partner of the person who did the credits.

Also intrigued for Terror season 3.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't know why but I always love it when directors use their spouses or kids in movies I just think its so heart warming from Peter Jackson and his kids all the way to Rob Zombie using his wife in every music video

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Being King's kid had to be pretty wild growing up. It's so freaking cool he grew up being a decent horror writer like his dad, too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That kid’s poster hanging game is top tier.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqg-kPb4CXU I need someone else to watch MONKEY BOY (1990). This is like a real follow-up to XTRO or something, astonishingly weird.

It's from that era of films from the UK really not being afraid of showing how balls out weird they can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ruddiger posted:

That kid’s poster hanging game is top tier.

4 out of 10, should be closer to the ceiling.