Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate people doing good work with the customization feature (nice job on the John Wick look for Victor, random ranked player), but Zafina’s default and T7 costumes and the hood from the base are so good it’s hard for me to mess with them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I played a lot of Tekken 7 locally with friends, one of the things that irritated me is there was no way for me to use my custom outfits on another person's system, I assume T8 is the same way? Customs are limited to who's logged into the system, even if you're logged in as player 2?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah they're local to the machine

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Attack on Princess posted:

Not sure what they used for Black Mask's pupils, but you get Deadpool eyes if you use horns. Just a shame the helmet is too metallic for any of the 'Pools

Did you turn Reina into the Cassandra Cain Batgirl? God bless.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

ok so why am I getting thrashed by all the hwoarangs and reinas I find at green ranks
it feels like they can keep attacking without risking anything

edit: as soon as I rant, I get two wins where I pretty much do the same as lili, but with opponents knocked down, doing snake edges and flips on their heads

Edit2: Paul intro where he's doing wheelies. drat

Nice Van My Man posted:

Oh poo poo more advice, I forgot about her ff punch that sends her into a spin that's + (it's got lightning and she kind of kneels, you'll know it). Her high kick comes out fast enough to beat your options, so you'd have to low poke that one if you wanted to consistently shut it down.

Sentai 3 trades with a jab after ff2f on block, which is in Reina's favour, but you can duck and launch it. Low poking vs Sentai is kinda meh since it gives up the chance to properly punish her and encourages her to use Sentai 4, a lowcrush that is probably her highest rewarding move from that stance. There is no one simple solution to Sentai, but the important thing to remember is that her options vs standblock are all high risk/low reward and even her mids are something you can afford to get hit by a few times. So just hold your poo poo, see what options they like and when, then punish them for it. Fighting Reina is all about getting a few good punishes in so her mix-up odds turn against her. She looks fancy, fighting against her isn't.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Tekken Dad with a new arcade stick reporting:

- I play for a while and the stick noises get way too loud when I start getting tilted
- Deathfists on P1 side don't come out half the time

I love it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I haven't been up on my Tekken lore since playing 4 back in college, so who the gently caress is this Lars dude? Cannot shake the feeling that its your weeb best friend trying to cosplay as a Tekken character.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I love King so drat much

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I haven't been up on my Tekken lore since playing 4 back in college, so who the gently caress is this Lars dude? Cannot shake the feeling that its your weeb best friend trying to cosplay as a Tekken character.

He's Heihachi's secret son. Not to be confused with Reina, Heihachi's secret daughter. Also not to be confused with Lee, Heihachi's adopted son.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also, I'm a monolingual American so I have basically no frame of reference, but when people of different nationalities get together, wouldn't they usually choose one language to speak amongst themselves? Played through story mode and it never stopped feeling weird that Victor would respond in French to Lars asking him a question in Swedish, or whatever. Feels like they should have split the difference and had everyone speak English or Japanese, although I guess the characters have always spoken their own language during actual matches.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Phenotype posted:

In addition to what Medullah said, Lars was a big shot in the Tekken Force branch of the Mishima Zaibatsu but in T6 when Jin decided that WW3 needed to happen, Lars went "Nah" and lead a revolt taking about half of the Tekken force with him. At the climax Jin reveals he started WW3 to draw out Satan Azazel so he could kill it and expunge the root of the devil gene and save the world from a big demon through mutually assured destruction. Eventually he and Jin killed Azazel (or so they thought) and Jin's body was recovered by Raven and the UN. Lars doesn't do much in T7 other than find Jin's body and take it somewhere safe so he can recuperate following his battle with Azazel while Heihachi takes back the Mishima Zaibatsu, and Heihachi and Kazuya have their father-son feud before T8 when Kazuya and Jin have their father-son feud.

... I think? I might have muddied some details. Tekken is by far the most soap opera of the fighting games I've played.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 5, 2024

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phenotype posted:

Heihachi sired a zillion bastard children to verify whether he did/didn't possess the devil gene - Lars is one, and he showed up in Tekken 6 as one of the poster characters and the main focus of the story mode, and I could not tell you a goddamn thing about him.

He also showed up in a Naruto game, hence why his super's straight out of Naruto.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 5, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Autsj posted:

Sentai 3 trades with a jab after ff2f on block, which is in Reina's favour, but you can duck and launch it. Low poking vs Sentai is kinda meh since it gives up the chance to properly punish her and encourages her to use Sentai 4, a lowcrush that is probably her highest rewarding move from that stance. There is no one simple solution to Sentai, but the important thing to remember is that her options vs standblock are all high risk/low reward and even her mids are something you can afford to get hit by a few times. So just hold your poo poo, see what options they like and when, then punish them for it. Fighting Reina is all about getting a few good punishes in so her mix-up odds turn against her. She looks fancy, fighting against her isn't.

I'm so bad at dealing with stance pressure. I was absolutely spoiled by Feng's evasion techniques. "Those are some nice kicks Hwoarang, but how about I just punch you in the side instead?"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Medullah posted:

He's Heihachi's secret son. Not to be confused with Reina, Heihachi's secret daughter. Also not to be confused with Lee, Heihachi's adopted son.

or with kuma, the only one of heihachi's children he loves

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Phenotype posted:

Also, I'm a monolingual American so I have basically no frame of reference, but when people of different nationalities get together, wouldn't they usually choose one language to speak amongst themselves? Played through story mode and it never stopped feeling weird that Victor would respond in French to Lars asking him a question in Swedish, or whatever. Feels like they should have split the difference and had everyone speak English or Japanese, although I guess the characters have always spoken their own language during actual matches.

The multilingual convos are just Tekken being Tekken.

There's edge cases where it happens IRL with closely related languages. When people don't technically speak the other language, but understand it anyway.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

And of course people understand King when he speaks jaguar

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Phenotype posted:

This is the best part of Tekken

King will make some Jaguar noises and everyone is like :hmmyes:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Glagha posted:

:argh:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Glagha posted:

This was so loving funny in the T8 story mode I had to rewatch the cutscene where he's warning Steve that the enemy is closing in on him and it's just GRR RAWR ROAR GRR!

Tekken just has the best school system ever because everyone is multi-lingual, that's my take. Everyone takes refresher courses and when s character from a region of the world shows up that hasn't been represented before everyone has to tap up a correspondence course to get up to speed.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is the best part of Tekken

King will make some Jaguar noises and everyone is like :hmmyes:

King: mwrr

Paul: *starts sobbing* Th-that was the greatest thing anyone's ever said to me

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tekken canonically happens in the Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy universe, so everyone has Babelfish.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Attack on Princess posted:

The multilingual convos are just Tekken being Tekken.

There's edge cases where it happens IRL with closely related languages. When people don't technically speak the other language, but understand it anyway.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

drat, that really complicates things. I wonder if King is making Spanish animal growls?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
They should make Law only communicate in bruce lee noises and give him subtitles too, his va is so so bad. His character story/ending is really good though, so is Paul's & Kuma's. Tekken is always best when it's being goofy as hell.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love Tekken using their character's native language and I love even more that everyone understands every language including bear and jaguarspeak. It rules that a series with, for the most part, some of the most normal sounding names in fighting games is also goofy as hell.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Here's hoping for some long awaited Rufus and Alex DLC.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't think everyone speaking their own language is some clever trick, I think Namco just sucks at certain things. Irish characters speaking with English accents, iirc marduk used to have american VA etc. Tekken rules but everything namco does aint great. Fillipinos panned josies VA and Ive seen the same for Shaheen and his arabic which apparently sounds super weird.

Anyways Feng is badass. Definitely gonna be my main focus til Eddy. Also to any new players, he has a lot of great tools that you want in a character but also some really cool higher level slick stuff. A great character to pick up if you dont want to use a boring char like Shaheen but also don't want to commit to a very unique/weird character. Hes got a great i15 launcher, a great i10 punish, a great in between punish (b 1+2), an incredible list of pokes, a good backswing blow (bf1), Good plus frames (b3, ff3 etc.), and his two main stances (shifting clouds and backturned) both have armor now. His two main combo routes aren't that hard either. He ticks all the boxes of good tekken fundamental tools while also having a deep movelist and a lot of stances to play your own unique and tricky way.

When your character is missing a good tekken tool you feel it. For instance Xiaoyus pitiful i10 punishes or with eddy his terrible side step range and very little access to viable + frames. Oh and using Ganryu in t7 was real hard to grasp as he has no i10 jab.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 5, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The translations for Azucena's dialogue seem off to me but I'm not a native speaker so I wondered if there were regional idioms at play

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Victor's French is a little off too, or the translator took a lot of liberties. He speaks more bluntly/plainly than the subtitles indicate.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Irish characters speaking with English accents

I'm just going to nitpick this one example that Harada addressed in a tweet;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1031fbt/if_you_ever_wondered_why_the_william_sisters_dont/

... No I don't think that answer makes sense either but hey ho.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

Victor's French is a little off too, or the translator took a lot of liberties. He speaks more bluntly/plainly than the subtitles indicate.

considering it's vincent cassel doing the voice, i'm going with "translator liberties"

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm just going to nitpick this one example that Harada addressed in a tweet;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1031fbt/if_you_ever_wondered_why_the_william_sisters_dont/

... No I don't think that answer makes sense either but hey ho.

Hey, it worked for Fiona in Burn Notice.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Well of course everyone's so caught up in learning other languages that sometimes it takes a toll on their native one.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Most of the tekken lore is really stupid and it was kinda amusing seeing people saying that tekken 8 plot was RUINED from seeing thumbnails on YT. I mean if you like the story thats cool, I just never care about them at all really. I think it took me like 6 months to check out the T7 one. Theyre always all over the place and arent really coherent entry to entry. I think other Harada reasoning at to why every woman in t7 looked 20 and you were unable to tell who was who if using default hair was that "nina was frozen cryogenically" and that Kazumi's representation in the game is from when her and Heihachi were young or something. That being said the jobbed out Eddy hard in his character story in T7 which was messed up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Scorched Spitz posted:

Hey, it worked for Fiona in Burn Notice.

Lol her accent in the series premiere was amazing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did not know Marduk was Australian until people were talking about it in a data mining capacity.... Dude sounds 10000% American lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Seltzer posted:

Most of the tekken lore is really stupid and it was kinda amusing seeing people saying that tekken 8 plot was RUINED from seeing thumbnails on YT.

What the thumbnails were spoiling anyway? I heard a lot about those thumbnails but I'm not sure I saw any of them, like maybe there was one that showed a glimpse of Jun's ending?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

this is amazing

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Victor: observe my ballet of steel and gunfire.

Feng: db3 counter hit.

If I never get any better than this, I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neogeo 8bitdo review for tekken:
It owns, i still suck but i feel cooler doing it.